Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Needed to take some test runs to make sure nothing was going to melt and I'm happy to report zero fires. The Hawk GT is a very smol bike but put it up to BIG AMERICAN IRON and it may as well be a pocketbike:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

put a supertrapp on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Big agree. Supertrapps on 90's v-twins are :kiss:

Although that Leo is probably pretty sweet as well

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Long term plans are a high-mount left-hand-exit exhaust. Honestly I've always preferred the sound of the Hawk with a stock exhaust, but it just doesn't work here with the fairings. 52 degree vtwins don't make glorious Ducati L-twin noises, it's a bit like a Jetson's car at low rpm but makes a nice growl once you get up in the rev range. I'll get some audio of it one of these days.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nc30/rc30 style left hand pipe is the only acceptable configuration now that you've done what you've done.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Nc30/rc30 style left hand pipe is the only acceptable configuration now that you've done what you've done.

Is there a reason most exhausts are on the right? Having an NC30 as my first bike means I consider that the one true way to do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most bikes have the chain and sprocket on the left, it leaves that area clear for maintenance, plus aesthetically there isn’t much on the right side to see other than swingarm, so may as well cover it up with an exhaust.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

That thing looks hella rad but also what’s the point of naca ducts on the mirrors like that?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That thing looks hella rad but also what’s the point of naca ducts on the mirrors like that?

Yeah it's dumb, purely cosmetic. These fairings are some kind of custom design around the RC45, which had smaller functional NACAs that fed the airbox. I've considered filling them in.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

There's joy in simplicity. I've been exclusively riding the Sherpa around since the Goldwing's rear MC failed. The Sherpa is as "complete" as it needs to be for now. Here's a list of fixes/improvements:

high mount fender
new front rotor (old one was warped)
ProTaper sport bars with risers
Double Take mirrors
choke plunger
Happy Trails rack with Givi Monokey plate

Today it was the Goldwing's turn. The circlip from the rear MC popped out and along with it went fluid. These rear MC's are a common failure point on these bikes because of their location; hard to get to and right next to hot exhaust.

There are no replacements available, so I had to adapt a rear MC from a VTX1300:

This is looking at the right side of the bike behind the right plastic side cover. I made a v-shaped bracket from scrap steel and mounted it in the stock holes in the frame. Extremely fiddly getting everything in there, the bracket in front is the valve for the rear air shocks.

I had already rebuilt a rear caliper that was mounted up to the parts bike. The parts bike did what a parts bike does and donated the caliper. I replaced the original rubber line with a Galfer:

Braking restored, the rotor was quite hot after a test run so it's dragging a bit more than I would like. It's probably the slider pins I don't remember if I replaced them or not. Releasing brake pressure via the bleeder doesn't loosen it up so I don't think it's the MC.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I took a break on this thing after a gust of wind tossed the upper fairing around so hard it broke one of the "wings" on the upper fairing. That's been repaired and strengthened.

Ducati Seat Revisited: I've mentioned previously that the Ducati tail is too wide and flat, enough that you could change an infant on the back of it. Too wide to fit the lines of the Hawk to the point where looking through my pile of pictures there are very few pictures from that angle. The original Ducati tails were ABS plastic, mines an aftermarket one and made of fiberglass. So, I narrowed it:

That's more than 2 inches of width removed, they are that wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah: