Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

AuroMarshmallow posted:

This thread is good, and it makes me incredibly bummed that I completely missed out on the Neo Geo when it was in production. I didn't even know anybody who owned one.

I wonder if it was more prominent in different parts of the US, or if I just didn't know the right folks.

It was horrifically expensive at the time it was contemporary. The only people I knew of who had one - not even knew personally, but knew OF - were incredibly well off. This thing was $650 in 1990 dollars, and each game was $200-300. It was sold as - and was - a literal Arcade system, but for your TV, and the cost was in line with precisely that.

The only kids who owned these had parents who threw money at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

AuroMarshmallow posted:

This thread is good, and it makes me incredibly bummed that I completely missed out on the Neo Geo when it was in production. I didn't even know anybody who owned one.

I wonder if it was more prominent in different parts of the US, or if I just didn't know the right folks.

they were in basically every pizza hut in indiana in the 90s, almost always with puzzle bobble and metal slug

i've done most of my neo geo playing on a pc. i somewhat recently got a mister and have been playing on that and drat it feels good and nice on a crt

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I've never seen AES hardware personally but MVS cabs are all over the dang place. Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug were monster huge.

We took an Olympics/Elden Ring/March Madness break but more updates are coming. Redid my arcade stick as a bit of motivation. Love the Neo Geo!!!

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
So excited about the NEO GEO I quoted instead of edited

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I grew up in southeast PA where admittedly there weren't a ton of arcades I had access too, but even at the Jersey shore boardwalk arcades I don't recall ever coming across an MVS.

Obviously it could be that I just never noticed one, but as a kid I loved Street Fighter so I imagine if I had seen a machine running King of Fighters or something I'd have gravitated towards it.

The arcade machine I remember as being the most prevalent in my area at bars and pizza places, etc, was overwhelmingly Mortal Kombat.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

loopsheloop posted:

I've never seen AES hardware personally but MVS cabs are all over the dang place. Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug were monster huge.

We took an Olympics/Elden Ring/March Madness break but more updates are coming. Redid my arcade stick as a bit of motivation. Love the Neo Geo!!!

Yeah I remember seeing samsho around back then as well

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm following this thread to solve a mystery from my childhood. This game I saw once on an mvs cab and never again. I don't even remember enough about it to describe it, but I'll know it when I see it again

So please keep posting, op. I have a lot emotionally invested in this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I grew up in southeast PA where admittedly there weren't a ton of arcades I had access too, but even at the Jersey shore boardwalk arcades I don't recall ever coming across an MVS.

Obviously it could be that I just never noticed one, but as a kid I loved Street Fighter so I imagine if I had seen a machine running King of Fighters or something I'd have gravitated towards it.

The arcade machine I remember as being the most prevalent in my area at bars and pizza places, etc, was overwhelmingly Mortal Kombat.

Yeah I think you just didn't notice them lol

I lived in south jersey for the first 20 years or so of my life and I remember seeing MVS cabinets all over the place, especially at the arcades down at the shore, with the top choices being Samurai Shodown, bust a move, metal slug, and wild cards like King of the Monsters or one of the sports titles

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Allied Leisure 2 and 4 slot MVS cabs are still what my brain pictures when I think "arcade cabinet".

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

AuroMarshmallow posted:

MVS cabs were all over Philly in the 90s, dunno how you missed them all

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wouldn't say they were uncommon or anything in the early days but it feels like the bigger non-fighting games like Puzzle Bobble, Metal Slug, etc were what really pushed them from being an arcade thing to an everywhere thing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was always sad that there was a cabinet in Wildwood, NJ that had The Super Spy on it and remember not having a chance to play it, and when my family came back the following summer they had swapped it out for one of the baseball games :mad:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

George RR Fartin posted:

The only kids who owned these had parents who threw money at them.

I don’t even remember seeing the AES advertised in game magazines (I’ll allow I’m probably too young, and too Nintendo focused in 1990) , and every one of these ads I can find only mentions launch era titles. Never saw it in stores, never saw any demos. Really don’t know how the word would get out unless you were a 20-30 something arcade nut in the 80’s. Maybe things are different in Japan.

Makes me want to stuff the cost of a mid-tier gaming PC into an envelope to buy a system sight-unseen

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

lmfao at the tiny Nintendo bars rather than quoting the actual stats

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sprites! (Character Power)

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Nintendo originally made playing cards, so that might be what they're referencing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mode 7 posted:

lmfao at the tiny Nintendo bars rather than quoting the actual stats

To be fair, it's the NES. Like, a system from 1983 designed to play 1981's Donkey Kong isn't going to compare to a top of the line arcade system.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Coffee Jones posted:

I don’t even remember seeing the AES advertised in game magazines (I’ll allow I’m probably too young, and too Nintendo focused in 1990) , and every one of these ads I can find only mentions launch era titles. Never saw it in stores, never saw any demos. Really don’t know how the word would get out unless you were a 20-30 something arcade nut in the 80’s. Maybe things are different in Japan.

Makes me want to stuff the cost of a mid-tier gaming PC into an envelope to buy a system sight-unseen

I haven't seen it posted here yet, so I'll be the one to share the most notorious Neo Geo ad.

https://twitter.com/nbajambook/status/1305218528304418819?t=HCq_npDvdkWSs3_kx1ET3g&s=19

Yes, this actually ran in magazines--computer magazines, since it was too racy for GamePro or EGM.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

Yes, this actually ran in magazines--computer magazines, since it was too racy for GamePro or EGM.

this was pretty common fare in computer mags. everything from spreadsheets to games got the "sexy lady lamenting her nerd bf touching keyboards instead of boobs" ad at some point

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Pic of poking the chick with a body horror :dong: winds up being more embarrassing than risque, IMO.

I barely remember this 100 mega shock logo - if I bust out the MAME collection I wind up playing later games
https://youtu.be/5REhX33D398

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
Sorry to bump but this thread was far too good to let slide!

I was lucky enough to pick up an AES for a little over 100$ AU and picked up about a dozen or so games, mainly form Japan as they were reasonably cheap to send to Australia. Sold some of them, but have some gems still! Also picked up a NeoSD when they came out to save digging out the cartridges. Over time I also did a component out mod (but I run RGB now), and put in a UniBIOS.

I just think it's so cool that so many years after the NeoGeo was made, there's still projects like UniBIOS and the various multi-cart stuff now.

I saw on Twitter the other day a new side-scrolling beat-em-up that looked really impressive, reminded me of the new Streets of Rage games. The best bit however was a guy in the video holding the AES controller like a gamepad driving the stick via his thumb on the top.

I've dug about but can't find the new game on twitter again!

Edit: https://twitter.com/The_Flying_Kick/status/1736855111417106573

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Don't apologize, this thread is great! I was just wondering how to flex the Neo Geo core on my Analogue Pocket.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Marx Headroom posted:

Don't apologize, this thread is great! I was just wondering how to flex the Neo Geo core on my Analogue Pocket.

I used the Pocket core updater myself but there are other options

https://github.com/mattpannella/pocket_core_autoupdate_net

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I used the updater too, ran into an issue with the rom set (apparently the Darksoft set on Internet Archive works perfectly) but it's all set now and Sengoku fuckin owns man. I love all the weird rear end stuff and music going on in the background when you teleport to the spirit realm or whatever. I found Magician Lord really hard though, you can only take like 3 hits at first.

If anyone else wants to review Neo Geo games in here I'll read it! Noticed the OP hasn't mentioned any Metal Slug games for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They were tackling the games based on release order, so with King of Fighters '94 we were not even in Metal Slug 1's 1996 yet. So when it comes to fighting games we were also still removed from games like The King of Fighters '98 (my favorite classic KoF), Garou: Mark of the Wolves (a Fatal Fury game) and The Last Blade 1 & 2 (the presentation on these games is amazing).

Or something different like Twinkle Star Sprites, which is what you'd get if you combine a versus puzzler like Magical Drop with a vertical shoot em up.