Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

hello and thanks again to all the folks who made taskmaster happen this year! that includes our amazing guest judges as well as the participants and even the people who watched along.

this iteration of taskmaster was kind of an experiment. it's been a little while since byob did a competition like this, and we wanted to try some things and see what worked and what didn't, with an eye towards the future in case we ever attempt this kind of thing again. your comments are welcome! if you'd rather provide feedback privately, drop me a PM or send your feedback to manyfisted at gmail.

this time around we tried doing more shorter tasks, with the hope that people could jump in even if they had not done the other tasks. however I feel like the pace may have been a bit hectic. do people prefer shorter tasks, longer ones (over one or multiple nights), some combination? also do people favor getting tasks on weekdays or weekends? I note we had much more participation during the first weekday that the competition started than on the concluding weekend, I feel like while there's more time on the weekend people tend to be out doing their own things and not focusing on online stuff (hopefully). picking the time of day was truly challenging, we had contingents on the U.S. west coast and in europe, and the overlap between those working days is limited . . . to say nothing of our antipodean friends, who got shortchanged this time around, I'm sorry.

we can certainly structure things differently. one possibility would be to do taskmaster over the course of a few weeks, with just one or two tasks presented at predictable times during the week. or it could be a very short competition, just a few tasks total. input about the types of tasks and what you might like to see more of is also helpful. THANK YOU by the way to everyone who submitted task ideas, a lot of them were incorporated into the competition in a modified form, or we had waiting but just didn't get around to.

anyway, whatever your thoughts, all constructive feedback is welcome. also if anyone feels that forewarning/instructions/guidance was not enough, please chime in about what would have been a better way to announce things.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

It was an amazing event and I am seriously astounded on all work that went into it. I had already said this before, but it bears repeating.

My only suggestions for improvement are:
1) Slightly less tasks during the weekdays
2) An extra hour available for all tasks

I feel this is enough to give people more time to participate.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

biosterous

more time between tasks, and more time for tasks, agreed. there were a handful that i would've done except i check the thread at the wrong time and then welp

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Finger Prince

I thought the time constraints were a big barrier being on the west coast. It can add some fun scrambling, so short tasks are alright, but maybe run them multiple times? They don't film all the taskmaster tasks on the same day, but each contestant does all the tasks on the same day. So maybe if the task is make a sculpture out of pasta, you have 1 hour time starts now (at 11:00 EST), then do another one (at 15:00 EST) and a last one for the Australasians. Everyone still gets an hour, but it's staggered so more people can complete it.
Also, this might not work for a forum format, but part of the fun of taskmaster is the contestants not knowing how everyone else did until its revealed on the stage show. It would be hell to organize, but if everyone submitted the tasks to the organizer as they complete them, then at the end of the day or the week or whatever, the results are all posted together, then we can have a laugh and the taskmaster can rate them.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

i was bummed that there were so many tasks going on during the workday...obv other people are in different time zones so there isn't a perfect way to schedule it. i wonder if there's a way to set it up such that the task period is (say) 24 hours, but you only get (say) 2 hours to complete the task once you've read it. it could be cool to have a virtual "envelope" where once the button is pressed, the contestant gets the instructions and their timer begins.

i'd also like to see a schedule of when tasks are to be released. there was at least one that i just didn't see until it had already ended. if we say that a task comes out every 5pm or something then there isn't a need to refresh the page constantly to check.

but overall this ruled and i hope you do it again soon! i really enjoyed it even with those thoughts. i'm looking forward to participating more next time!!

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Tiny Myers

say hello to my little friend

A little more time would be nice, yeah! I wanted to participate in more but I got involved in some stuff so didn't have the time. It might be fun to have like, one challenge open for 8 hours each day and have it take place throughout the week? But then people might take way more time on their tasks and it may become a less chill event.

Also, I never posted the epilogue to my BYOB Rock in the original taskmaster thread. I left it on my desk and forgot to put it back out in the yard. That's where it's been for the past few days. My cat got really interested in it because it was sitting on a plate so she kept thinking it was food. Today I needed something to prop up a broken stand and honestly it's doing a great job. Thank you chill yobrock.

Thank you How Wonderful! for the autumn sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i was not made the sole judge and dictator of byob taskmaster with all the power and none of the responsibilities 1/5

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

actually tho i forgot about it and all the tasks seemed fun now that i am catching up on the thread and i really like all the edible dragons!!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Finger Prince

I was literally waiting for my brunch to arrive and I was going to hastily shape it in to a dragon shape, but alas it arrived just after the deadline (and also I was so hungry I basically forgot all about the task once I had food in front of me)

alnilam

Yeah more time seems like the biggest thing, or wider time windows is perhaps more accurate. Having a short time (for some) is part of the fun but the the window is so short where you have to be there and available or out of luck

The most ideal thing would be like:
Thread announces there is a task, running all day today. You only have one hour to do the task though.
You don't find out what it is till you're ready to go. Like you could say hey I'm free at 4 I'll receive the task then.
All the answers are done on time but revealed at the end

That way a task might run all day Tuesday and still be a fast one but everyone can participate as long as they have a free hour that day

How to accomplish? Like someone else said you could make them all more like the secret tasks but it would be tough to run. Or get a programming pal to make some kind of timed submission thing. Or post the task in a pastebin and honor system???

alnilam fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 5, 2023

ty manifisto

alnilam

Feel the need to follow up and say it was really fun to watch and judge on, thanks so much to all... just trying to say what could make it more fun for more people :)

ty manifisto

Manifisto

thank you everyone for the feedback! I'll leave this thread up a little bit longer in case anyone else has input.

ty nesamdoom!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
rename it to "TaskHamster" and have hamsters assign the tasks

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Dr. Honked posted:

rename it to "TaskHamster" and have hamsters assign the tasks

That sounds like a cloud based productivity app.