Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

It was a relatively quiet day but now it's getting dark and my neighborhood started going off all at once lol. I did get annoyed earlier b/c some ~12 year old kid across the street was lighting off a bunch of those little popper firecrackers one at a time over & over while I was trying to do some work on my computer, it was like how is this entertaining beyond the 20th time wtf. Then his friend came by and they started chucking them at each other and I can respect that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I had a dog that legitimately loved fireworks. He’d go wild for them and needed to be penned up in the yard to prevent him from rushing directly at the fireworks. If you left him in the house while someone was shooting fireworks outside, he’d bark and whine until you let him out somewhere where he could see them go off. He liked vacuums too, he liked being vacuumed with the hose extension when he was shedding.

This same dog was terrified of thunder though. I think maybe because my family and I would set off fireworks that he learned early on that the bangs from fireworks are something people make happen and thus isn’t scary, while thunder is some mysterious terrifying force of nature.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Why not firework ammunition for guns? That way good americans can just shoot their guns up in the air with like bottle rockets rounds and asplodey things?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Fireworks in city, illegal.
Everyone outside my apartment until 3am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWULCfJ2PGA

Clown Suit Cowboy
Jun 27, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

It's all good

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fireworks are fun and cool but also try spending chinese new year in Beijing and having to hear them non-stop every few seconds for an entire week, it really starts to get a bit annoying

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I enjoy sleep so I'm going to not do thet gently caress

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Last year I gave my father in law a seizure by lighting a brush fire with a bottle rocket. I still maintain fireworks are dope as hell.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Sucrose posted:

I had a dog that legitimately loved fireworks. He’d go wild for them and needed to be penned up in the yard to prevent him from rushing directly at the fireworks. If you left him in the house while someone was shooting fireworks outside, he’d bark and whine until you let him out somewhere where he could see them go off.

This is my buddy's bird dogs. They think it's hunting time

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
the coordinated drone aerial shows are pretty neat.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

blight rhino posted:

the coordinated drone aerial shows are pretty neat.

I've never been to one but I'd like it more than fireworks. Fireworks wish they could draw a detailed penis over your city like drones could.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm imagining the Kenny Roger's Roasters episode of Seinfeld, but the red light in Kramer's apartment is from a giant drone display of Goatse's rear end in a top hat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Fireworks are great. Anyone who complains about them I basically mentally see this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNdcYjqN5zI

Where they're freaking out and everyone else is just having fun.

There's some kind of dark irony when veterans have the same kind of freakouts due to PTSD. Like, how do you think all those people you tried to blow up in Iraq felt? And then they complain about trigger warnings :ironicat:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

UKJeff posted:

Fireworks are bad because they scare dogs and cats and probably other wildlife

HOWEVER

They are rather epic because they trigger PTSD flashbacks in military veterans

What sayeth the wise minds of GBS .. Fireworks: Win or Fail ?

Don't forget the fact that firework dust, which lingers in the air for quite a while, has carcinogens & lung irritants in it :patriot:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I worked as a pyro-technician for a fireworks company (UK based) for 3 or 4 years a while back. I think fireworks are rad as hell, especially the CAT4 stuff we got to use that the general public can't buy. You can still get some good CAT3 stuff but having worked around fireworks and done loads of shows from small weddings to guy fawkes night displays, I don't know if I trust the general public with them tbh.

I used to spend a lot of time wiring electronic fuses to the cakes and mortars and stuff as we very rarely did lighting by hand. The cool bit was that you controlled the show from a system like this:

where you open the armoured suitcase and get to turn a key to arm the system for live firing and I used to pretend I was doing james bond poo poo when really I was hunched behind some bushes in a muddy field on some posh scottish estate waiting for go time lol.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I like to look at them. I like them when they're so far away their reports arre like distant thunder.

I hate them near me.

I have a dog that was shot twice (!) In the head (!!) Before I adopted her, and seeing her particular brand of anxiety breaks my god drat heart.

Also an errant aerial firework landed in my yard as it exploded last night, igniting a big, terrifying fire. So there's that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

he's not even doing the shocker

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i usually dont give a gently caress at all but last night my neighbor was doing the lamest fuckin firework. no pretty colors just the least-satisfying THWACK report I've ever heard. wasnt m80 or firecrackers, idk just a really lame fuckin firework sound, poo poo sucked.

and then my cat started kind of twitching and doing that leg kick thing they do when you scratch em in the right place, we thought he was having a stroke and it was a horrifying 2 minutes but then he went back to normal. i think that was firework related

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Droogie posted:

I like to look at them. I like them when they're so far away their reports arre like distant thunder.

I hate them near me.

I have a dog that was shot twice (!) In the head (!!) Before I adopted her, and seeing her particular brand of anxiety breaks my god drat heart.

Also an errant aerial firework landed in my yard as it exploded last night, igniting a big, terrifying fire. So there's that.

Cheese and rice
:ohdear:

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Smugworth posted:

Cheese and rice
:ohdear:

My wife snapped this from last night while I was recombobulating our hose. We were inside playing Zelda when this poo poo happened. The tree behind the fire is about 25 feet tall for scale.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
My brother’s girlfriend worked as a manager at a fireworks store last year, and she was given a choice of a $500 bonus, or $500 worth of fireworks. She chose the latter so last night was awesome.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's some kind of dark irony when veterans have the same kind of freakouts due to PTSD. Like, how do you think all those people you tried to blow up in Iraq felt? And then they complain about trigger warnings :ironicat:

this is hosed up and ghoulish, don't revel in people's trauma

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Apparently my sister-in-law's baby daddy tried to light a bunch of sparklers or something at once and now has a date with the state burn unit.

Idk the deets but fuckin lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Treecko posted:

Apparently my sister-in-law's baby daddy tried to light a bunch of sparklers or something at once and now has a date with the state burn unit.

Idk the deets but fuckin lol

3rd degree burns? A trifle!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
All the fireworks last night bumped the AQI in Western Washington from like 16 to 150.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My brother’s girlfriend worked as a manager at a fireworks store last year, and she was given a choice of a $500 bonus, or $500 worth of fireworks. She chose the latter so last night was awesome.

why didn't she buy fireworks with her $500 bonus and employee discount

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

BoosterDuck posted:

why didn't she buy fireworks with her $500 bonus and employee discount

I assume it was $500 worth of fireworks at wholesale cost.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You can buy and fire a gun any day or time of the day and buy fireworks most days of the year but you can only explode fireworks on a few specific days of the year

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

satanic splash-back posted:

You can buy and fire a gun any day or time of the day and buy fireworks most days of the year but you can only explode fireworks on a few specific days of the year
go out into your street and shoot 20 rounds up into the air and report back and let us know how that went for you

this might be fine depending on what state you live in and what color people live on your street

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

3rd degree burns? A trifle!

Pfft.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Jelly posted:

go out into your street and shoot 20 rounds up into the air and report back and let us know how that went for you

this might be fine depending on what state you live in and what color people live on your street

this is how we keep rent down around here

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

surc posted:

this is hosed up and ghoulish, don't revel in people's trauma

I'm hardly reveling in it, why do you think I called it "dark irony". it's upsetting, sad, and frustrating.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Shameful be the man who shot they own crotch off this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Win.

Evidence:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuV46IYAEXw/