Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

According to tracking code my gift has reached the destination country four days ago and hasn't moved since.

C'mon, post office: it needs to get there before Christmas day!

Oh, and I'm not spilling the beans yet, but my own secret santa jumped the gun a bit earlier and sent me a digital good a few days ago. More details next week.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I spaced on photos because my son helped me go through stuff. things have moved around the place and found homes or bellies.
I do however have a photo of my new posting ride. It's built to drag me out of derails and scoop up my poo poo posts.

peanut

Finger Prince posted:

Big Katsu was rather chewy and very salty and a bit weird, and apparently made from some kind of seafood jerky amalgam if google translate is to be believed. It wasn't bad or gross or anything, but also I never need to eat another one.

MISSIONACCOMPLISHED

Saoshyant

Now I need to try the Big Katsu.

Escape From Noise

Saoshyant posted:

Now I need to try the Big Katsu.

It honestly doesn't taste like much.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Finger Prince

Escape From Noise posted:

It honestly doesn't taste like much.

The taste is pure salty-umami. Like msg. It's more the mouthfeel and texture that makes you go huh, I have no idea what I'm eating.

Manifisto

:woop: a package from Japan arrived today!! going to open it closer to the holiday, but I am extremely excited!!

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

There was a problem with a santa gift that was returned to the sender, I have informed the affected santee, I'm really sorry! There will be a longer delay on that one, but it's not lost or forgotten!
If anyone who already did or did NOT participate at all this year and wishes to be a rescue angel for this, or any other gift that might be lost, delayed or otherwise affected by problems, please feel free to PM or email me! There is no need, of course, but it's always nice to have a backup in case international shipping causes more problems. We had rescue angels every year so far, rarely had to use them, but when we did, it was always a great surprise!

It's better to get more gifts than none, after all! So, if anyone wants to be anyone's rescue angel, tell me! There might be no need for you to come to the rescue to anyone, if everything works out, but given that at least this one gift will already be late, I'm inclined to offer an additional rescue gift (even something super small or simple is fine!) if anyone feels like it. Otherwise, I will at least send a little letter to the santee that has to wait longer.

Goons Are Gifts

I'm super happy that some already got their gifts and it worked out so far! Today also is the deadline for the digital gifts, so if you still have not send out anything to your santee, make sure you do it now and have a little, fun digital gift! Everything is fine, from a cool gift card, a video game, a key code for something, whatever you feel like! Just make sure you read the rules and hopefully include a little home for your (digital) Krampus!

Anyone who already got or will receive a gift, remember to post ITT, so that we all can be sure that everything worked out and your santa knows everything went well!

Escape From Noise

I'm just glad my gift made it there!

Secret Sam

HO, HO, HO
Peeks out from behind the tree.

Goons Are Gifts

WOAH, IT'S THE REAL GUY!!!

peanut

Hail Santa!!
My Santas must have conspired against me this year because both of them got me my family's favorite candy and wonderful things that we love! :peanut:

from Manifisto (BYOB): Candy, more candy, NYC magnets and book mark, dried fruit, beeeeees socks, cat stickers, clay Krampus!

from Kafka's Goldfish* (GBS): Candy, moooooore candy, mushroom ornaments, and a signed book by Ray Bradbury! I started reading, it is kinda psychotic!

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 25, 2023

Goons Are Gifts

Thanks to our rescue angels and those that spoke up!! We now have it guaranteed that nothing can go wrong!

If your gift to your Santee appears to be delayed or lost or damaged or anything, or if you had a tougher time making a gift and it all got out later than planned or anything else, please contact me in any way, we have rescue angels on standby across various continents that can make sure your Santee will receive a (quickly arriving) additional gift, on top of your gift that might be delayed or otherwise not as perfect as you wanted it to be! That may lead to a Santee receiving both a santa and an angel gift, but I think that's very worth it, before a poor Santee has to wait for too long or has to live with something being wrong.
So, if you can, check on your tracking information and see if everything is going according to plan, and if it doesn't or you otherwise feel like you might need help by a little angel sending a little extra to make sure your Santee has the best possible festival this year, don't hesitate to poke me and I'll get it arranged!

Thanks to everyone who signed up to be a rescue angel, byob is a magical place where we rather shower someone with gifts rather than even just risking that someone may be not entirely happy! I'm so proud of you all!!

Manifisto

glad it all arrived in one piece and, more importantly, survived customs! I mention this only because I don't see it in your photo and don't want it to be overlooked, there is another pair of socks in there, they're more plain but they are pretty special socks. they are wool socks from darn tough and should last a lifetime (they literally come with a lifetime warranty). wool socks are amazing because they're warm in winter and cool in summer, and well maybe you don't wear socks lol but if you do, I hope these serve you well!

I am a little proud of the krampus I made, I based it on traditional images from postcards and such! I hope it guards over you and your family well.

oh and for everyone else's benefit, the candied fruit in there is actually candy I made from a buddha's hand fruit, one of these lovecraftian monster fruit thingies:

I left some of the "tentacles" intact in the candy, so some of the pieces look like desiccated squid tentacles. mmm appetizing! oh I forgot, you're in japan, that is maybe unironically appetizing then . . .

I will post videos of my own haul (which coincidentally came from peanut!) soon, but didn't want to delay in saying thank you, I love the gifts!!

ty nesamdoom!

peanut

Manifisto posted:

there is another pair of socks in there, they're more plain but they are pretty special socks. they are wool socks from darn tough and should last a lifetime (they literally come with a lifetime warranty). wool socks are amazing because they're warm in winter and cool in summer, and well maybe you don't wear socks lol but if you do, I hope these serve you well!

You're right, that must be the grey socks that my older daughter took immediately!
Thank you Santa!!

Saoshyant

Nesamdoom was my Secret Santa, and he sent me a video game called Cassette Beasts a few days ago. It's a pretty neat take on Pokemon. He also got some AI rendered Miku + Krampus pics, of which I've been sporting one of them under my sig.

And speaking of Krampus, that handmade one from Manifisto posted above looks amazing! Pretty cool.

Not sure if everything is alright with the gift I sent to my own Secret Santa since they haven't posted here, but the tracking code lists it as delivered and signed with the right person on December 21, so fingers crossed.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 25, 2023

Secret Sam

HO, HO, HO
You better watch out.

Y̷o̸u̴ ̸b̶e̷t̷t̸e̶r̶ ̷w̴a̷t̷c̴h̸ ̵o̶u̴t̴.̶

Y̵̢̳͔̣͙͔͇͕͓͎͔͓̳͎̜͍̮̣͓͕͙͚͖̹̝̘̟̒̄̈́͜ͅo̷̢̢̡̨̨͈͍̙̦̠͍͈͔̟͔̝̪͍̣͖̣̱͍͖̖̺̘̺͕̪̭͖͖̳͕͖̯̟̪̓͗͌̂̔̆͂̐̀̒̔̂̿̌̔̍͐͋̒̾́̾̈́̕̚͘̕̚̕͜͝͠ͅų̸͇̱̙͇̝̼̯̜̞̝̙͚̖̣̱͚̪̠̳̗̣͍̦͙̯̈́̋͐̄̔̏́̂̚͝ ̶̧̡̛̛̪̫̳͓͓̲̩̲͈͎̝̰͕͇͖̭̰͓̠̣̮͚̬̬̫̗̌̍͋̾͋̀̈́̀̈́̎̈͂̈́͐̚̚͘͠ḃ̴̨̛̹̙̻͖̙̙̣͔͎͍̝̱̰̞͍̘̰͕̳̤̝͔̻̱̀̾͌͊̓̓̇̃̓̈́̅̓̕͜͝ͅę̶̛̤͇͈͙̟̳͕̻̙͔̖̱̠̻͙̬̩̜̲̗̯͍͈̉̎̈́̃̓̓̍̐̌̎̽̓̋̀̀̈̎̔͊͒̓̋̓͌͐̿͐́͌̾̒͋̾̀͋͊͘͘͘͘͝͠͠͝ͅt̶̛̛̩̏͊́͛͋̔̉͒̇͐̍̂̈́̿̇͒̎͊̊̒͆̑̾͗̍̂͛͘͝͝͝͝͝t̶̹͎̩̠̀̈́̂ȩ̵̧̨̧̡͉͖̣͈̜̩̬̪͈̰͈̖͍̗̣̞͍̝͎͎̺̳͓̻͙̘͇͓͇̠͙̜̪͈̼͇̯̗̩̫̿̊̊̔͐̐̎̆͛̔̍́͑̾̍̊͛͂̓͒̄̓͊̈́̄̇̈́̐̚̕͝͝r̴̛̛̹̭̻͒͛̑̆̆͗̎̍̀̽͆̒̋͗͑̄̀̇̋̅̎̊̽̌̾̍̈́͝͝͝͝ ̴̛͕̼͇͇̩̮̣̞̬̘͍̤̒̆͐̃͌̽͗͆̔̔̃̿̈̏̽̈́̊̽͊͗̊͠͝͠w̴̛̬̦̝̝̥͕͈͚̺̳̳̪̗̩͍͛̍̾̾̌̓̋̏̈́͒̍͊̋̔̅̀̔́͂͗̐͂̎̑̄̓̒͐͋̽̈͆̀̈́̏͊̾̈́̑̓̚̚͝͠͝a̴̡̡̝̞̗̞̻͈̼̲͇͇͖̦͖̱̝̪͕̱̩̓̈́̐̌̏͜t̵̡̡̧̛̛̩̺̯̬͙̘̖̜̩̟͚͚͙͓̭̦̠͈̺̟̋́̅̓̀̊͑̌̉̈́̓̃̓̾̈́̌̊̈̒̊̌̀̎̎̍̇̑̄͋̓̾͒̾̕͝͝͠͝c̷̡̧̧̢̨̨̡̛̛̛̛̛̣̬̮̩̭̜̮̯̺̤̱̞͕̰͈͙͈̬̬̼̙̹̥̟̭̥̠̩͎͓̞̳̹͔̅̓͋͆̐̏̈͂͂̀̋̑̉̓͑̑́͋̍̿͗͊͒͌̏͑̎́̈͂͜͜͜͠͝͠͠ḩ̶̧̧̨̡̨̡̢̛̛̛̛̙͔̬̼̫̖̬̦̯̲̦͉͇̯͓͉̜̰͖͓̗̟̘̳̫͓̙̼̬̯̀͊̂́̀͌̽̃͆̒̍̃̈́̅͒̓̎̇̓̆̒̆͋̄̇͌̀͌̋̀͐̈́͘͘̕̕͜͝͝͠ ̷̡̧̧̨̨̛̛̬̱̟̦͈̗̞̣̮̲̻̲̱̫̗̞͚̲̻̹̫̥̥̞̳̙̜̝̰̩̳͕̽̍͋̀̔̀͂̂̿͗̍̃̂̂̍̀̈̿͛̉̃̽̈́̃̽̐̈́̽́̏̃̽̕̚͜͜͜͠͠ǫ̴͔̰̖̘̺̥͔̼̫͈̠̋͒́͌́̔͆̍̊̀́̃̈́̾͑̔̅̐̋̕͘͝ͅų̴̡̛̬͈͙̹̹̠̭̥̭̮̖͉̦͖̥͔̞͎̜͕̭̝̮̑͗̉͂͗͛̽͂̍̔̓́̅́̈́̇̓̾̀͘͠͝ͅţ̴̡̧̨̤̫̻̤̗͈͓̪̤̭͕̜̫̭̗̦͉̯͓̦͚͈̮͈̗͌̊́̐̓͐̈́̈̈͌͜͜͜͜͜͜.̶̡̨̧̗̰̥̳̘̦͙̯͓̺̥̪̲̩̲͓̭̝͉̮̫̞̈́́̉̓̽́̏̇͌̔̃̾͊̈͂̒͊̆̓̄͑̋̓̋͋̈͠͝ͅ

Secret Sam

HO, HO, HO
FORUMS POSTERS, BE AWARE
A PACKAGE COMES FROM ONE'S FOUL LAIR
IT CONTAINS SUCH KNOWLEDGE OF ELDRITCH FORM
THAT BRINGS TOGETHER THE MEN OF SCORN

BEWARE THE BROWN CLOTHED MEN, FORUMS POSTER ESCAPE FROM NOISE

Escape From Noise

So I got a package delivery attempt today but I wasn't here when it arrived at 4 pm because I work for a living! I tried to set a delivery time that actually works for my schedule but UPS wouldn't allow it. I left instructions to leave it at the door or post box but we'll see. 2 attempts to go!

Manifisto

as promised, photos of my secret santa/satan/sam haul! with at least a few more to come, hopefully.

it's from Japan, whoa! the big question mark in magic marker may be a clue as to why it took a little longer to deliver than some of your other packages sent to the same city, santa . . . (don't worry you didn't do anything wrong lol, the address was exactly right)

and here's the contents!

a lovely wreath, some "chara-magnets" (?? intriguing!), a gold box of some kind, a postcard, what looks like someone's homework that has merited a singing bird (clearly the highest of marks), and a wrapped packet marked "NAMAHAGE magnet from AKITA (krampus)".

let's have a look at one of those chara-magnets!

oh hello luigi! and you've brought me some gum, how kind of you!!

now for that krampus, and the contents of that gold box . . .

the gold box contains matcha tea, which is something my santa/satan (peanut) had kindly asked me about before sending my gift. I have a setup for drinking matcha (bowl, bamboo whisk, tea caddy, etc) that I bought long ago during a trip to japan and I can't wait to try the tea out! I am not in NYC right now, but I'll be back before too long and will post a trip report.

and finally . . . whoa that krampus is terrifying! that kid must have done something pretty awful . . .

Wikipedia helpfully informs me,

Wikipedia posted:

The Namahage (生剥げ, なまはげ)[1] are demonlike beings portrayed by men wearing hefty oni (ogre) masks and traditional straw capes (mino) during a New Year's ritual, in local northern Japanese folklore of the Oga Peninsula area of Akita Prefecture.

Wikipedia posted:

The namahage's purpose was to admonish laggards, who sit around the fire idly and do nothing useful.[3][10] One of the refrains used by the namahage in the olden days was "Blisters peeled yet?" (なもみコ剝げたかよ, namomi ko hagetaka yo).

I guess I have been a laggard in posting my secret santa haul, so consider me suitably admonished!! sorry, but thank you so much peanut for the awesome gifts!

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

I done got Greebed!

Thank you Hams!

Manifisto

I done got Greebed!

Thank you Hams!

ooooh nice!

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Sorry for the short post. I was running out the door. I really appreciate it! I'm glad they left it in the post box for me! A nice little surprise.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I done got Greebed!

Thank you Hams!

I hope you like it!!! It's an overview so it doesn't get as deep as some of the stuff I review regularly but this is *so good*.

Secret Sam is outside my house grumbling about stealing thunder and poo poo, but you know. He gonna be what he do be.

Quadramind

Coool!

Goons Are Gifts

Thank you hams!!
Full disclosure, hams was one our lovely rescue angels because EFN is the Santee that is affected by the delay of a gift that got stuck in national post service and then sent back after like two weeks of not moving, so I asked Hams to jump in and go on a rescue mission for our beloved EFN and she made some mad magic happen so that Christmas was possible after all! :peanut:

The original gift is still on its way to EFN and I hope it works out better this round, so that you can enjoy two fun gifts this year!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Oh hey Santa, I'm sure you're chomping at the bit if I've received my gift. Well the thing is I've not been home since christmas, but give it a few days.

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Finger Prince

I heard from one of the elves at Santa's sorting facility that they're still working through a huge backlog, but they should deliver the package I sent this week. Here's hoping!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
I just got home and the mailman had left a package for me in the shed. I haven't opened it yet as there's a blizzard coming and I need to go buy some groceries first, but what I can tell you so far is that the package gurgles.

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Goons Are Gifts

I was told I got a box that for some reason landed in a post office store instead of my home and no one told me! Let's hope I can retrieve it in time, before they send it back!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
And finally we come to the big unveiling:

The box, in all its glory. When I came home there was a slip in the mailbox telling me they had tried to deliver it the 21st but no one were home. I think that was the day I left to spend the christmas with my mom so that figures. Anyway they had left the box in my shed, so that's a positive!

The contents, and what glorious contents! Booze! Biscuits! And a red mystery box! Also a card which I found under the biscuits after I had taken the picture.

But before we sample the delectables, let's open up the red mystery box and- oh. There's a smaller brown mystery box inside. Okay let's open it too!

Oh my, bird themed earrings. They're beautiful. :stoked:

And finally the card with Krampus on it. Kardpus.

It reads the following:

quote:

Dear Dumb Sex Parrot

A merry Christmas to you!
This is your Secret Santa AKA Saoshyant here with a Krampus and some fine gifts from (usually) sunny Portugal.

You'll find enclosed two pairs of earrings because I couldn't decide on one: a pair of silver colibri and a pair of colorful owls. Hope at least one of them matches your style!

Also a bottle of Licor Beirão, our historical "medicial" liquor. It's a bit strong, so do not fill a whole glass right away.

And finally a box of regional cookies and biscuits. I find them pretty tasty, hope you like them too!

Happy Holidays!
Sao

Thank you so much. The biscuits are delicious, and I'll be sure to sample the "medicine" later on. The earrings are beautiful but all my extra ear holes are situated on the top of my ears, I think these are for lobes(?) I'll swing by the jeweler in a few days, maybe they can work some magic. In any case I am grateful you made the effort. :)

Manifisto

so I said I'd post a trip report for the matcha tea sent by peanut, here it is!

I bought a matcha set years ago after I visited Kyoto. while I was there, among many visits to historic sites, I had green tea at a buddhist monestary and it was just an amazing experience, the setting, the ceremony, everything, and it inspired me to get the stuff I needed to make it at home. I honestly probably didn't get super fancy equipment (it's hard to know and I didn't have much time to shop) but I do like these implements, I spent a decent amount of time looking at bowls before I chose this one. you can't see it from the photos but the very bottom of the bowl is unglazed, it's very classy.

the smaller container with the bark cover is for the matcha, and while it's lovely I tend to keep my actual matcha tea in its canister to stay fresh. the canisters do actually fit into the caddy though, so I can sort of pretend it's being used for its intended function.

so I sifted some matcha into the bowl, as one does

added a small amount of hot water and whisked it into a froth

and finally added more hot water, and drank! I wanted to try it plain, just hot water (no milk or sweetener or anything).

I like green tea but it's a very different experience than black tea. it generally has a very grassy taste to me, which I don't actually mind. this particular tea was delicious but unfortunately I don't think I have the palate to distinguish it from other matcha I've had. still, thank you so much peanut!!

ty nesamdoom!

peanut

You have gone above and beyond! :11tea:

Goons Are Gifts

Thanks to everyone who has posted their gifts!!
So, I can open the veil now, the gift that got missing on the way to EFN was, in fact, mine. I had EFN and I screwed up the labeling and it was entirely on me for not doing this right, which is why the package got sent back after like two or three weeks and I sent it back out but it's still on the wway and hasn't apparently even left Germany yet, so... it's gonna be a while. That's why I organized a rescue angel mission for EFN, which luckily worked out brilliantly, THANK YOU hamjobs for being our lovely angel here!

Going through my list, I think everyone else got their gift by now, is that correct? Please speak up if you have not received something yet!
I, myself, have not received my gift yet, it landed in a post office here as I wasn't at home when it arrived and I couldn't drive down there yet, as I'm so immobile lately that I cannot move independently without help from others. However, I plan to check up on that on Monday and see if it's still there - either way, that's not on my santa at all!

If everyone else is fine so far, I think we can call this year's secret santa a success after all and I want to thank everyone with all my teenie tiny heart for your effort and I hope you all had great fun!

Finger Prince

Goons Are Gifts posted:

Thanks to everyone who has posted their gifts!!
So, I can open the veil now, the gift that got missing on the way to EFN was, in fact, mine. I had EFN and I screwed up the labeling and it was entirely on me for not doing this right, which is why the package got sent back after like two or three weeks and I sent it back out but it's still on the wway and hasn't apparently even left Germany yet, so... it's gonna be a while. That's why I organized a rescue angel mission for EFN, which luckily worked out brilliantly, THANK YOU hamjobs for being our lovely angel here!

Going through my list, I think everyone else got their gift by now, is that correct? Please speak up if you have not received something yet!
I, myself, have not received my gift yet, it landed in a post office here as I wasn't at home when it arrived and I couldn't drive down there yet, as I'm so immobile lately that I cannot move independently without help from others. However, I plan to check up on that on Monday and see if it's still there - either way, that's not on my santa at all!

If everyone else is fine so far, I think we can call this year's secret santa a success after all and I want to thank everyone with all my teenie tiny heart for your effort and I hope you all had great fun!

I hope you get your gift!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

No worries! I'm just happy to participate. Thanks for putting it all together again!