Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

UraniumAnchor posted:

Punchy was host for the SMO run at AGDQ2020 that almost broke the tracker because we got $186,000 in 15 minutes, Chrono Trigger was SGDQ2019 the year prior and we broke -3- million, not 2.

First time we broke 2 million was just before Undertale in AGDQ 2017.

https://twitter.com/Vulajin/status/1145765354137903110

That SMO run is also where we got this:

Punchy is a cool, helpful guy and ESA absolutely did him dirty.

dang how the hell'd i conflate those things in my head

guess it must have been too long since i saw those runs, time to go watch them again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that chrono trigger run was infuriating to watch, because the couch constantly mistook "lore" to just mean "here's what's going on in the plot right now"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

punchy did the fantastic baba is you run in 2022, among others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEnUHxy0CQ

Oh poo poo yeah, I remember this run. I remember this dude. I like this dude.

Triple gently caress the ESA.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
UBAF schedule was posted
https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1750624589166567426

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://electric.marf.space/@trysdyn/statuses/01HNBG14M92TVZ5636VBDTQ4BT

quote:

GDQ just laid off a ton of their show runners for extra content. These were people who actually made money off running those shows and for most of them it was a significant part of their income.

Last entity I expected to engage in layoff season. Definitely not happy we had that great event and then they did this.

From a business perspective I can't argue with it. I've even said they were diluting their interest pool by having like 80 hours of content a week off-marathon. But it really, really sucks.

I guess in reality it's "Everyone is on hiatus and we'll reach out to bring you back in in the future" but that's basically "don't call us".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Well this seems rotten.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
layoffs suck but it's not inherently rotten when they happen

hopefully things work out for whatever form hotfix takes in the future, and hoping they'll be able to bring a lot of people back

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah like I doubt subs and bits paid off their contract fee from the Florida venue. It sucks but I’m not surprised they needed to reduce expenditures.

I’m also approaching this different to how I would a corporation doing layoffs which you could criticize me on but I feel is reasonable.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I had no idea they employed the runners. Too bad they can’t keep it up.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mokotow posted:

I had no idea they employed the runners. Too bad they can’t keep it up.

The hot fix shows were afaik pitched to GDQ by the folks who host them. I didn’t realize they were paid but given the amount of work running a show like that takes it’s not insane to have those be paid positions.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

aw man, i was looking forward to not watching those.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sucks to hear but count me among those who wondered if it was costing them to run shows every day of the week

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, this is more of a "wait for more information" thing to me. GDQ isn't a for-profit organization, and if they can't actually afford to keep those people doing Hotfix shows between big events, then they can't afford to keep them. I'd certainly hope they didn't spring this on everyone behind the scenes with no warning, that would suck, but I do have different mental thresholds for this kind of thing when it's Activision/Blizzard vs when it's a genuine charity organization.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a tough industry, and i've seen no indication that spikevegeta is driving around in a lambo on the sly. sucks, but it's an understandable move

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
to be clear i did not post that as any kind of "gently caress gdq" and i do not think the person i quoted did either, just more of a "well, poo poo"

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

site posted:

Sucks to hear but count me among those who wondered if it was costing them to run shows every day of the week
:same:

If they're no longer having Hotfix shows every day, I wonder if they might start doing showcases of previous runs. So you still get to show ads for revenue, but with far lower costs since you don't need a host, presumably don't need don't really need need someone to hit the button. I mean, they've had the daily Hotfix for what, like 5-6 years at this point? That's thousands of runs you can use on "Hotfix History" day once a week; content for literal decades and most of which people have probably forgotten existed.

EDIT: Checking the Hotfix schedule, this week has the usual mishmash of various activities, while next week has the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday slots all listed as "re-run" with no other details, so it seems like the answer is "yes".

Also, the Hotfix webpage now has this announcement:
https://gamesdonequick.com/hotfix

quote:

Welcome to Hotfix - GDQ's regularly scheduled programming. Beginning February 5th, 2024, Hotfix will be undergoing a significant restructure, and will temporarily reduce our live programming while we plan a new format. Make sure you're following us on Twitter/X and also are in the GDQ Discord to get the latest updates! We will share more information about these changes to Hotfix when it's available.
All times are US Eastern time zone. Week Velocity and Week Faith alternate.
Schedule last updated January 29th, 2024.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Saw this comment on a Reddit post, for whatever it's worth:

quote:

Hi! One of the affected showrunners here (Awfully Silly).

Just wanted to say that no one is being laid off. Shows are just on hiatus while they restructure programming. Many of us might have their shows back again, we just have to wait and see what happens.

Hope that adds a bit of clarity!