Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Awesome Games Done Quick 2024 is over! A big THANK YOU to everyone who took part in raising over two and a half million dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation!

Finally it is time again for that most glorious of January traditions, with Awesome Games Done Quick 2024! AGDQ back in person again because it's gotten the heck out of Florida and landed in Pittsburgh. From there, you will be brought a variety of speedruns for a full week, starting today and running until January 22nd. And it's all for the benefit of the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Woo!

====================

The schedule has gotten a snazzy facelift this year, with some new functionality. But if you prefer a more classic style of schedule, you can use this one on Horaro.

If you're gonna be watching in your browser, your options are the GDQ website or the GDQ Twitch page, with the former being the recommended option for this manner of watching.

Even better is to say heck no to browser watching and instead get the speedy runs right into your favourite media player, which you do by way of Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI. They're pretty easy to get working, but make sure to update both to the latest version since Twitch loves breaking them. Which they did last SGDQ with an integrity check, completely hecking up any third party software. There was a workaround found then, but the program now works without that too, so, yay!

There is of course also the option of not watching live (gasp!), which you're going to have to end up doing because you're not going to be able to watch everything you want to watch live unless you're really lucky with the schedule. But no worries, speedfriends, all the runs will be posted to the GDQ Youtube channel so you can catch up, and a good place to find them when the marathon is over is GDQ VODs, a very nice website run by fellow goon Steve Holt!. And, as of this marathon, all the Youtube links can also be found on the GDQ schedule itself!

Chatting about the runs you're watching is an integral part of the GDQ experience, and these are the public options I can give you, if you want to stay out of the Twitch chat (which you should):

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org (not GDQ official anymore, has been taken over by myself and anton and is now the Speedrunning marathon channel on Quakenet.)
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

====================

A lil' bit of totally not copy-pasted history and information:

Games Done Quick started in 2010 with the first marathon, Classic Games Done Quick, hosted from GDQ founder Mike Uyama's mother's basement. Since then, it has grown immensely and hosts not only two big Games Done Quick marathons annually, but also other shorter marathons like Frame Fatales, one-offs like a Corona Relief Done Quick back in April 2020, and lots of other speedrunning content happening every week on their Twitch channel.

The two main GDQ events are currently the largest global fundraising events for the charities they benefit. AGDQ 2014 was the first time any GDQ event broke one million dollars in donations for a single event, and SGDQ 2019 was the first to break three million. The current lifetime total of donations to GDQ events is just shy of forty-six and a half million dollars.

All of the money raised during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. No cut is taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. It is true that some organizers get paid for it, but not through any cut of the donations—the truth is simply that putting on GDQ is more of less a full-time job for many of the core staff, so some of them are employed by the charity to make sure the marathon can even happen.

The staff always tries their hardest to make sure that the quality of the stream is as good as it can be. Mistakes can always happen with all the tech involved, especially for an online marathon. Delays and unforeseen problem are not unlikely to occur. Please be patient when this happens, it's definitely even more frustrating for the runners and staff than it is for you as a viewer!

====================

Now that you know all that, surely you also want to donate and help prevent cancer. The way to do that starts with going to the donation page, where you put in your donation amount, a comment, and what the money should go towards. Yes, yes, it will go to the Prevent Cancer Foundation, but the donation amount can also go towards something,

Those things are called incentives, things that affect the marathon and the runs therein. You can bid for a variety of things, like making a runner play a different game mode, forcing them to play extra challenge levels, naming characters, and other stuff like that. Sometimes even adding a whole extra run to the schedule. All the bids can be found on the bid index page on the always useful AGDQ tracker. As I'm writing this the bid index page is actually empty, but it'll probably fill up before the marathon starts.

On that tracker page you might have also seen that "Prizes" button. Because donating also gives you a chance to win some cool stuff! You have to donate a certain amount during a certain time to get entered into the prize raffle, with the buy-in for most prizes being between $5 and $25, with a couple at $50. There's also two grand prizes that you get entered into the raffle for if you donate $250 cumulatively across the entire marathon. Some things you can win are:

This dog.

This gang.

This other gang.

This head.

This video game.

This dude.

This rear end in a top hat.

This house.

This flower.

This nutcase.

You can also just buy yourself some cool stuff, like some shirts and pins and stuff from The Yetee or a bunch of different things from Fangamer, and a portion of the sale for each item from both stores will go directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

====================

A FAQ for the brand new watcher:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. Awful block is normally great though.

Q: Will ____ be featured?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past—it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Q: Dog?
A: Check out the Gyromite run on Tuesday.

====================

That's that! Please just remember why we're all here. We want to watch cool speedruns and talk about them, all for a good cause. So please, please, don't use this thread to bring up GDQ-related drama, be it about marathons in general or specific runners. Above everything, please be respectful towards everybody working hard to make this event happen in the first place. The organizers, the runners, the commentators, the announcers, even the watchers. We want to have a fun time.

Should you have any further questions about GDQ or speedrunning, just go ahead and ask. There's a number of goons involved with GDQ, and even more involved with speedrunning in general, so the knowledge is not far off. But if it's about non-marathon related matters, you might want to swing over and inquire in the main speedrunning thread, where we're always happy to help.

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

====================

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 (Chat) | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020 | ESAW 2020 & FF 2020 | CRDQ | SGDQ 2020 | AGDQ 2021 | SGDQ 2021 | AGDQ 2022 | SGDQ 2022 | AGDQ 2023 | SGDQ 2023

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Raw data of recommendations from people in the thread which will hopefully be processed into a better list:

KKKLIP ART posted:

I havent gotten to watch a ton (mostly the middle days) but:

Tunic
SM64 Drum%
All the Baldurs Gate 3
Tears of the Kingdom
FFV

Zebia posted:

Been a busy week for me but reading through the thread these were the recommendations I saw (though I'm certain I missed more recommendations)

Speedruns to check out:
Whiplash
Tunic
Typing of the Dead
30XX
Pikmin 4
Bloodstained
Super Mario 64 (On Drums)
Resident Evil runs

woke kaczynski posted:

Thinking of run recommendations: I greatly enjoyed Jet Set Radio Future, I didn't know much about it and it seemed quite stylish. Everyone's gonna say dog/drum% runs and rightly so, the Mario Sunshine redemption run was incredibly heartwarming, Metroid Dread race was good in spite of some tech issues, Bloodstained was good, Hades 2 players 1 controller was absolutely bonkers.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

in addition to the above:
pikmin 4
the nanthology
gyromite
mario 64
whiplash
metroid dread
super mario lost levels

iPodschun posted:

My favorite runs list: Ultimate Doom, Typing of the Dead, 30XX, Whiplash, Gyromite, Bloodstained, Granny, Resident Evil 2, SM64, Mario Maker 2, Luminescent, Mario Kart 64, Lost Levels, FF5

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 21, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I feel the need. The need for speed.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Runs

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Live in Pgh, thought about heading down today to see the opening but not sure with the new snow and ice. Booked a hotel room Thurs - Sunday so I'll probz just watch online til then.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Guys, I love going fast for charity dollars.

On The Internet posted:

Live in Pgh, thought about heading down today to see the opening but not sure with the new snow and ice. Booked a hotel room Thurs - Sunday so I'll probz just watch online til then.

If this stays in Pittsburgh, that's a realistic drive for me now. I'd really like to go in person sometime.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
We must proceed rather quickly

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

they better do these games quick or i'm gonna be fr*aking steamed

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

There we go, added some prize examples.

About 45 minutes to go until the preshow!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
excited for some of the 2023 games on this list. boltgun was not a game i particularly enjoyed (like everyone else i kinda hated the level design) but i really want to see that speedrun.

kind of annoyed pseudoregalia got a 7am slot, but also the first thing i did when i beat that game was watch a speedrun on youtube, so maybe not as critical to put that in prime time :v:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The new schedule view looks great. Someone on the Discord also pointed out that the listed incentives are clickable to provide a little tooltip, which is incredibly cool and useful. The addition of the checkpoint blocks to help flex the schedule also seems very solid.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Agreed, the new schedule layout is excellent! It's so much easier to parse now.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Gotta speedrun my grocery shopping so I can be back before the runs start

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm ready.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It's on!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
:letsgo:
Speedrunnin baby, all my homies love speedrunnin'.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, I wanna see Super Mario Wonder and Lies of P, not Risk of Rain 2.

E: Oh, I got worked -- they're all on the list.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Slippy snubbed yet again. Better luck in 2025.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Now That's What I Call Speedrun

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
Okay this whole bit is actually kinda brilliant.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

SENT!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These comedy bits are uhh... something.

E: the idea is good and I think the format is a lot of fun, but good lord the acting.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 14, 2024

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm hosting again! I'm on the mic for 30XX, Mega Man 3, and Mega Man 8 tomorrow and then I'm tag teaming Majora's Mask with Melo later in the week. I'm excited!

This opening is so good and chaotic lol

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

These comedy bits are uhh... something.

E: the idea is good and I think the format is a lot of fun, but good lord the acting.

I'm a big stick in the mud who always mutes the skits, also whenever anybody sings during a run.

The first day game line-up looks stacked though so I can't wait for it to start.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
shoutouts to coolmatty

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

shoutouts to coolmatty

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

Shardy
Jun 21, 2000
I'm a sticky snake!

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

flatluigi posted:

shoutouts to coolmatty

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Y’all this is the first year that I’ve been able to share a GDQ with my son and one of the first games we played together was Tunic last summer. Very excited for this and hope they raise a billion.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Drat, I missed the intro skit. Was it good?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://tunic.run/gdq/

amazing

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

I have no idea what this means but it's adorable.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
A manual page just for the speedrun. drat that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Bremen posted:

I have no idea what this means but it's adorable.

It's the speedrun tech done in the style of the actual in-game manual for Tunic