Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Frost Fatales 2020 is over A big thank you to everyone who participated in raising over $50,000 for the Malala Fund!

ESA Winter 2020 is over! A big thank you to everyone who participated in raising over $60,000 for Save the Children!

Hot (cold?) on the heels of AGDQ... okay, not really since that was over a month ago, but anyway, it is time for more speedrunning goodness. And this time, we've got two marathons back to back, so we're gonna do a double thread for double the fun!

First up is the European Speedrunner Assembly Winter 2020, taking place from February 16th to 22nd. And quite immediately following that is the Gamed Done Quick-hosted Frost Fatales 2020, happening from February 23rd to 29th. Two weeks full of live speedrunning, and all for a good cause, too! Or two good causes, as the case (cases?) may be.

~~~~~~~~~~

Since I'm posting this thread pretty close to ESA Winter starting, let's just get right into the details you're here for. Starting with the ESA Winter schedules (Horaro for Stream one, Horaro for Stream two), since again ESA is doing two streams, the second of which is not running all day every day. And also the Frost Fatales schedule. The schedules will adjust to your local time zone.

To watch ESA Winter in your browser, head on over to the ESA main site. Frost Fatales will be airing at the Games Done Quick site. You can also head on over to the Twitch channels: ESA Winter Stream one and ESA Winter Stream two, as well as Frost Fatales @ GDQ. But an even better option is to watch through whatever media player you want, which you do with Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI.

Recordings of all runs will go up eventually on the ESA and GDQ Youtube channels.

And don't be a stranger - come on over and chat with us while watching! You really don't want to do that in Twitch chat. So just use IRC or Discord.

IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org (we have now turned this channel into the Quakenet IRC channel for all speedrunning marathons)
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
ESA Discord | GDQ Discord

Or for more goon-specific speedrunning channels:

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Speedfriends Shitposting

~~~~~~~~~~

So what are these marathons about? Well, I'll tell ya!

European Speedrunner Assembly started out as European Speedster Assembly (fun fact: I'm the one who came up with that name for it) in 2012. The first ESA marathons happened in Skövde, Sweden, and had one marathon every summer in Sweden, plus organizing smaller marathons at other events, such as Sweden's biggest LAN party Dreamhack. In 2016, ESA Summer moved from Skövde to Växjö, and in 2018 to Malmö, where it still resides. 2018, the first ESA Winter also took place in Växjö, but for 2020 the winter event has also moved to Malmö, to the same hotel that ESA Summer resides in these days. Previously ESA has raised money for Charity:Water and Doctors Without Borders, and is currently for for the benefit of Save the Children.

Frost Fatales is the first bigger marathon organized by the GDQ-affiliated Frame Fatales, an all-women speedrunning event that has previously organized two shorter online-only marathons. Frost Fatales is described as a "live/online hybrid marathon", and the first Frame Fatales event to benefit a charity - in their case, the Malala Fund, working to ensure every girl in the world can get an education.

All money collected for both events will go directly to the respective charities. No cut is taken by any of the organizers.

~~~~~~~~~~

To donate for ESA Winter, you go to the donation page for stream one or stream two. To donate for Frost Fatales, you head on over to the Frost Fatales 2020 donation page. They all work the same way, since both marathons use the same tracker software. You put in your donation amount, and what incentive you want your donation to go towards. There's a bunch of 'em, as usual - character names, bonus bosses, you know the drill. All of it can be found on the trackers - ESAW2020 Stream 1 tracker, ESAW2020 Stream 2 tracker, FF2020 tracker.

~~~~~~~~~~

And that should be all of it, so let us have... well, two good marathons together! Skip the drama, don't drag up things that happened in the past, be respectful towards everyone involved!

Got any questions about either event? Just ask them. We'll answer to the best of our abilities. And before you ask, no, I'm not going to be at ESA Winter this time around, as I could not afford it this year. Additionally, if either or both of these marathons gets you interested in the hobby, why not swing over to the speedrunning thread? We'll help you get started!

~~~~~~~~~~

Past marathon threads:
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Reserved post, yo.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ESA preshow is on! The first run, Guacamelee, starts soon.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
lmao I love this pic
https://twitter.com/BigJon06/status/1229055354291527681

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I don't know much about European speed-runners or that side of the community. Are there any runners on the schedule for ESA that are widely considered to be super-entertaining or must-watches? There are a few games which jump off the page that I'd like to see due to playing them as a kid (Secret of Evermore, X-Com, Mickey Mouse block, Garnet-only FF9 run); just wondering if there are well-regarded runners that I should go out of my way to catch.

KennyMan666 posted:

They all work the same way, since both marathons use the same tracker software.
Really? That's kind of cool. Never really thought about what was used behind the scenes, but I guess I just sort of figured that since GDQ and ESA have their own websites and infrastructure, the back-end stuff was different too. Makes sense though. Do the other various donation marathons (e.g., RPGLB or whatever) also use the same tracker software?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hell yes thats a lot of marathon

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Garnet-only FFIX run with Metako and the estimate is 16 hours, nice. I guess that it'll be worth it to check in every now and then to see if he's gone insane yet.

Big Jon is back at ESA and he's on in a few hours playing Mega Man 2.

Winter ESA always seems to sail by me since there's always so much more stuff on my schedule during winter. But chances are it'll be entertaining on the second monitor.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Garnet-only FFIX run with Metako and the estimate is 16 hours, nice. I guess that it'll be worth it to check in every now and then to see if he's gone insane yet.

Big Jon is back at ESA and he's on in a few hours playing Mega Man 2.

Winter ESA always seems to sail by me since there's always so much more stuff on my schedule during winter. But chances are it'll be entertaining on the second monitor.
BigJon is also playing Blaster Master 2, UA's favorite game.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I'm going to watch at least 14 hours of that straight. I may have to miss the end. I love it though, that's totally insane. :swoon:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't been able to watch much anything but this Lufia II run is pretty fun. Tomorrow I want to see if I can watch FFV - rarely see it in any marathons, wonder why? And La-Mulana remake, bound to be some new tech in it.

UFO - Enemy unknown (I assume this is the 1994 original version?) speedrun in 30 minutes sounds fun but unsure if I can watch at that time tomorrow morning.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I haven't been able to watch much anything but this Lufia II run is pretty fun. Tomorrow I want to see if I can watch FFV - rarely see it in any marathons, wonder why? And La-Mulana remake, bound to be some new tech in it.

UFO - Enemy unknown (I assume this is the 1994 original version?) speedrun in 30 minutes sounds fun but unsure if I can watch at that time tomorrow morning.
Yeah, UFO-Enemy Unknown is the 1994 original which was renamed X-Com in the US by Microprose.

The 2012 version by Firaxis is named X-Com: Enemy Unknown because :xcom: and game naming is confusing as poo poo sometimes.

ETA: If you miss this one though, the same dude is also doing the same UFO-Enemy Unknown run on RPG Limit Break’s channel on Saturday morning at like 10:50 EST as part of their RPG Blitz mini-marathon. Maybe that time works better for you.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 18, 2020

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The new one is XCOM, not X-COM, so at least it isn't the full Doom problem.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Looks like I can catch UFO live.

And yeah, I played the hell of out of the original back in the day, it's one of my all-time favorite games. The naming conventions can be weird in that series so I thought I'd make sure.

Still have fond memories of the original and Terror from the deep, just wish they'd scaled back a bit on the length of some missions. Good luck finding that one last Deep One hiding in some broom closet on a ship mission...

e: great start, selling off all the equipment

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 18, 2020

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

The luck in this run so far has been terrible. This must be a frustrating game to run sometimes as it seems very RNG heavy.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Absolutely nothing has gone right RNG-wise with this run

"While you drink your tea, can we talk about saving the children?"
"Please do! I'm really trying to save all the children, I really am!"

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 18, 2020

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

"We're sending you to Mars to save the world!"
"Great, what equipment do I have?"
"Equipment?"

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Was linked here from IRC a few days ago and until last night didn't realize the Frame Fatales was a separate event and that the Winter Marathon had already started.

Did bookmark the thread though.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Are these guys as quick about uploading stuff to YT as GDQ is? Most of the stuff is going on while I'm at work, especially all the stuff I wanna watch!

I guess there's always twitch vods but I loving hate watching twitch vods because it's just so unresponsive and a pain in the rear end and with marathons you have to click through like a 18 hour long video or something.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

abraxas posted:

Are these guys as quick about uploading stuff to YT as GDQ is? Most of the stuff is going on while I'm at work, especially all the stuff I wanna watch!

I guess there's always twitch vods but I loving hate watching twitch vods because it's just so unresponsive and a pain in the rear end and with marathons you have to click through like a 18 hour long video or something.

ESA tends to upload just a few VODs each day. They have a very specific strategy for how they post stuff to youtube.

They are, however, pretty good about changing categories on their Twitch broadcast, so the chapters option should work well when you click to the Videos tab on the ESA twitch channel. I had to do this to catch the Vice City run that one of my buddies did.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I have seen a Furi speedrun and this sure looks like a game

I hope others will be joining tomorrow for the FFIX Garnet% run (no, I won't be watching the whole 16 hours actively) but it'll sure be fun to pop in and see what's going on.

I'm really kinda wondering how is it even possible to do some encounters with just Garnet, though.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I don't think I have seen a Furi speedrun and this sure looks like a game

I hope others will be joining tomorrow for the FFIX Garnet% run (no, I won't be watching the whole 16 hours actively) but it'll sure be fun to pop in and see what's going on.

I'm really kinda wondering how is it even possible to do some encounters with just Garnet, though.
I will be watching the Garnet run here and there as well.

In a normal solo playthrough of FF9, you’d power level with stat boosting equipment to really boost both your offense and HP...but in a run that’s only 6-7 hours longer than the normal fast-as-possible WR, there’s not really time to do more than a few grinding sessions.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Who thought it’d be a good idea to have ads play during runs, and every 15-20 minutes on average?

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

FF9 is starting soon. It's gonna be a good day! :swoon:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Healbot posted:

Who thought it’d be a good idea to have ads play during runs, and every 15-20 minutes on average?
Amazon.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

GDQ didn't have ads during a run, I keep thinking the organizers of this event agreed to this because 'lol watching on mobile use a pc with adblock you rube'.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It is pretty awesome when an ad break cuts off a runner mid-word.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Healbot posted:

GDQ didn't have ads during a run, I keep thinking the organizers of this event agreed to this because 'lol watching on mobile use a pc with adblock you rube'.
There's an featurebug in the ad service that'll sometimes cause ads to be displayed for people who shouldn't nominally be receiving ads based on the broadcasters choices, and it just so happens that absolutely nobody at Twitch can figure out why happens, despite the fact that it's only started happening after Amazon took over.
Amazon was also absolutely wasn't the ones to suggest implementing EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY which lets ads be injected directly into the video stream, rather than being part of the video player, meaning they can serve ads to absolutely everyone.
Amazon, the company that makes money from knowing peoples habits to the point that they bought Curse instead of Discord in order to force Discord to run out of VC funding so they can buy Discord for much cheaper, certainly don't want to know more about you so they can sell you more poo poo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

From what I've seen so far the FFIX run has been excellent, and I would guess the madness will continue to build up from here

I haven't caught everything so I don't know if Metako got anything else on his sub than a quarter of a tomato, lemon juice and cardamom

Right now they're doing the Cleyra dance

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
BigJon running Mario 3 randomizer. This'll be good.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TeaJay posted:

From what I've seen so far the FFIX run has been excellent, and I would guess the madness will continue to build up from here
It has. They've basically gone full "gently caress it, let's have fun with this" and said for $20 they'll do anything. Currently 1:50 over the original estimate and pretty sure they're still on Disc 3 due to a two-hour session of the Chocobo mini-game to unlock Ozma.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I managed to tune in in time to see the runner eat a whole donut in one bite it was pretty amazing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm so glad that this run gets to go literally 6 hours over estimate (and counting). It's a priceless gem.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
oh no I don't want to budget 15 hours to a single viewing :ohdear:

I came here to say that I have to sleep but so far the Dragon Warrior 1 No Spells/33% EXP Requirement* run is chill and enjoyable

* meaning that levels require 1/3rd as much experience

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Hell yeah $50k

Time to break Josh's spirit even further.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ESA has had many silly crowd control runs and the event finale with Joshimuz and San Andreas Twitch chat vote % is certainly great as well.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The height of this run has been a jolly argument of whether or not he was served tea with milk or milk brought to room temp with a bit of tea.

Sadly I can't watch the rest right now.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 23, 2020

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Aaaaaand Frost Fatales is a go!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man I love how much GDQ we get nowadays

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the runner and host for Sunshine were just talking about some incredibly long run where one plays 64, Galaxy, Sunshine, Galaxy 2, 3D World and Odyssey all in a row, getting all of the trinkets in each. the stupidest thing i've ever heard, but now it just fascinates me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Odyssey nearly doubled the number of things you collect in that challenge lmao