Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Jesus Christ is this just a Sydney thing or do all office buildings have this BC I think I'd rather be poor

It's common for newer buildings to have an index on a screen then direct you to a lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah my office building in Sydney has that, though it’s always showing headlines from the Oz which shits me to tears

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Jesus Christ is this just a Sydney thing or do all office buildings have this BC I think I'd rather be poor

Adelaide here, and yeah there are smart lifts

What they are supposed to do is limit the number of people in each individual lift as a health and safety measure. In practise what they do is they just add more and more people until you've got 30 people in a single lift while others lay idle.

The algorithm that managed traffic for them was so horrendously busted that usually you'd only have two of them operating at any one time out of a bank of about eight, and if you were on one of the lower floors and wanted to get out of the building at knockoff time, it would be faster to press the up button, ride all the way up to the top, and then ride it down because if you just hit the down button you would be presented every 5 minutes with a lift that was completely full of people from the upper floors.

And yes, it is one of those newfangled lifts which doesn't have buttons on the inside. You just press a button for the floor you want in the the lobby before getting into the lift. They operate so terribly and the impact of hitting your required floor button too many or too few times for the number of people who want to go to that floor is so bad that the company who installed the lifts has now also installed a video screen on the ground floor that has a 2-minute video presentation on a loop about how to correctly use this newfangled lift system. And if that isn't a case of failing at the first hurdle for operability, I don't know what is.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the lifts in my office building have ads for things on at the club next door because i guess they own the building as well

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...429-p5fnan.html

quote:

The opposition is also considering repealing responsible lending laws – which oblige financial institutions to check how much a potential borrower earns and spends – among other tools to reduce lending barriers for people trying to break into the housing market.
:allears:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Spend all your super on the deposit and then take out a loan you can’t service, effective policy for emptying our pockets.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I guess we can have a sub-prime mortgage crisis, to go along with our housing crisis, as a treat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Expect these policies to become bolder and more visionary. Dutton's election dream is for voters to put pencil to paper in the booth and "hear house keys jingling".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I had my bank, the Bendigo, call me several times asking me if I wanted to take out a home loan simply on the basis of being old with a steady income. Sure as hell wasn't because of my bank balance, or the size of my income. Pretty sure my rent, as bad as it is, is less than what I would be paying for a home loan when the price of an average 2 bedroom near me is over $650,000.

Felt incredibly weird. Like how, in the 80s, credit card companies would send you "pre-approved!" sign up forms so you could easily get yourself into life destroying debt.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Breetai posted:

the company who installed the lifts has now also installed a video screen on the ground floor that has a 2-minute video presentation on a loop about how to correctly use this newfangled lift system.

I saw one recently where the terrible touchscreen layout could only show some of the floors and someone from the office had printed out a sign explaining how to scroll through to other screens to select the other floors

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

All that Super just lying around that would be better for Australia in a cashed-up boomers pocket.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

hooman posted:

I like how in the rest of the forums it's like "Don't talk to the Australians, they're all insane." and we're standing behind them, bug-eyed and nodding emphatically.

Well yeah, we're all mad here. Caring is a maddening business hobby.

For crying out loud, surely it wasn't that long ago there were shocking news articles about people being loaned way more than they could reasonably afford??

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

SecretOfSteel posted:

All that Super just lying around that would be better for Australia in a cashed-up boomers pocket.

That’s about the extent of it, supply side efforts to improve housing affordability risk reducing house prices. Much better to simply increase the amount of cash people have access to.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lucy Zelic doing a solid public audition for any potential Sky After Dark sports show.

Vocal support for Sydney Ustase FC
Terf brain melt
Yelling about globalists

https://x.com/lucyzelic/status/1785202755273179619

:stonk:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lucy Zelic doing a solid public audition for any potential Sky After Dark sports show.

Vocal support for Sydney Ustase FC
Terf brain melt
Yelling about globalists

https://x.com/lucyzelic/status/1785202755273179619

:stonk:

Holy gently caress am I not reading all that garbage

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Holy gently caress am I not reading all that garbage

TLDR: globalists, pedophiles, the far left

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol paid to write more words

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Lehrmann is apparently considering an appeal again

Do it you dickhead, it worked out so great for you last time

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

what's the worst that could happen if he loses?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess someone must have offered to bankroll him again?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Eediot Jedi posted:

He gets lionized by right-wing psychopaths as being a true Australian hero and makes more money in grift than he has to pay in fines.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
RIP bonza

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eediot Jedi posted:

He declares double super bankruptcy

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Eediot Jedi posted:

Hopefully they brand the word rapist onto his forehead

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Regular Wario posted:

Hopefully they brand the word rapist onto his forehead

That's already his entire face

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Good news everyone!

Guardian AU posted:

House prices have set a record high for a sixth consecutive month, after rising an average of 0.6% nationwide in April.

Average housing values were up by a tenth since January 2023, pushing the national median to almost $780,000, according to the home value index compiled by data group CoreLogic.

The Western Australian market was especially hot, with Perth facing a 2% increase in April, taking price rises to over 20% over the last year. Regional WA values jumped 1.3% for the month.

Guardian AU posted:

The principle of detention as a last resort will be removed from the Queensland Youth Justice Act, under legislation introduced by the Labor government on Wednesday.

Thanks Labor, Thrlaborgh.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Watching Labor Left darling Steven Miles implement LNP crime policy on the run is giving me extremely :shepface: vibes.

Yes you may lose this next election to a gold coast real estate agent but i don't think copying his tough on crime positions is going to fix things.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It’s the Small Target Government strategy

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
it's been a minute since i studied criminal law but iirc there's centuries of data that establishes severity of punishments has no effect on crime rates, unless i dreamed that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I had an idea that perceptions of your chance of getting caught is a bigger factor.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AvidCommentator/status/1785518130871320679

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Im sorry but you haven't been sufficiently beaten by your spouse

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Regular Wario posted:

Im sorry but you haven't been sufficiently beaten by your spouse

Means tested domestic violence payments.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

Means tested domestic violence payments.

Welcome to the labor party

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
My guess is Lehrmann's going to have to go bankrupt. Defo lawyers costs tend to run high and it has been a big trial. The judge also mentioned it on today’s costs hearing - when discussing Wilkinson getting her cut from Ten rather than the defendant.

The piece of poo poo ex-seven producer thinks he can make some money from his day in court.

ABC live blog posted:

Justice Lee has once again, put something bluntly.

Former Network Seven producer Taylor Auerbach's lawyer presented an affidavit for her client about costs he hopes to be awarded after attending court for one day and giving evidence in the defamation case.

Mr Auerbach was a producer who helped arrange Bruce Lehrmann's appearance on the Spotlight program last year and he gave evidence in the case last month.

Justice Lee said he would likely appoint a referee to determine what reasonable costs would be.

“But I got to tell you, it’s not going to be anything like this,” he said, motioning to the affidavit.

“The whole idea that someone can spend $17,500 to comply with a subpoena to give evidence, strikes me as ill-determined.”

“That’s just not on.”

Mr Auerbach's lawyer said she was OK with the referee option, instead.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The main driver of crime is poverty. That's why increasing the gap between rich and poor and laura gnaw her are the LNP winning combo. Structurally way ahead of even 'loving browns am I right".

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs...f%20drug%20use.

quote:

In Australia, high crime rates are often associated with poverty, unemployment, low levels of educational attainment, family relationship problems and high levels of drug use.

https://www.aic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-05/tandi028.pdf

quote:

despite government attempts to limit overall unemployment levels in Australia, unemployment is now much more concentrated amongst school-leaver age groups

Fixing socioeconomic disadvantage is the silver bullet. Everyone knows this. Yet we keep widening the gap. gently caress us.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

thatbastardken posted:

it's been a minute since i studied criminal law but iirc there's centuries of data that establishes severity of punishments has no effect on crime rates, unless i dreamed that.

I dont know about centuries and I don't think it applies to all crime but for sure there is lots of evidence that severity of sentence has absolutely no impact on levels of family violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Cartoon posted:

The main driver of crime is poverty. That's why increasing the gap between rich and poor and laura gnaw her are the LNP winning combo. Structurally way ahead of even 'loving browns am I right".

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs...f%20drug%20use.

https://www.aic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-05/tandi028.pdf

Fixing socioeconomic disadvantage is the silver bullet. Everyone knows this. Yet we keep widening the gap. gently caress us.

bettering society? sounds woke to me