Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Hendrick

Somehow, a little green light seems to appear in the middle of the cord shaping itself like a Y. It was odd, impossible to tell whether it was near the floor or near the cord, but that didn't matter; while Hendrick had been perplexed by everything that was going on, now he had the right associations to make sense of it all.

The Y was for YES to Maeby's question. Maeby got stressed by emotion and ran out of the room due to Audrey's spirit being disconnected from her body. Of course.

He slapped his forehead in annoyance. What this Liam had to do with Audrey's current state, or how he could help besides the obvious, was still a mystery but at least he could move on. He immediately went looking for Brian to get info on Liam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
To Simon

On hearing the noise, the kid looks at you, wiping his hands onto his trousers thoughtfully, then shrugs. "Are you hungry? I'm hungry". The fact that he seems to have been snacking on candy just until this very moment doesn't seem to factor onto his comment.

The cat seems to echo this sentiment: he comes down to where you are and rubs himself against his owner's back, still looking at you.

You make your way down to one of the lower branches of the tree, followed by the both of them. Then, you hold onto the branch with both hands and then slide forward carefully, letting yourself hang down from it. It's a bit of a fall, but not one you've not taken before. You brace yourself, take a bit of impulse and let go, cleanly landing on the grass underneath the tree with a loud thumping noise.

As Miu buzzes disapprovingly around your head, chiding danger warnings at you, you see Chris carefully hold onto the trunk and climb down, with an agility you wouldn't expect of a pudgy small kid, followed by Neko, who leaps down with a jump not unlike yours. Chris takes off his school backpack and opens it, and you see the cat quickly slide inside it. He then puts it back, with the cat's head out and curiously looking around. Satisfied, the kid looks back at you.

"Want to come home? My nan has food"

Shellception fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 26, 2024

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
To Hendrick

As Maeby storms out, a startled-looking Brian turns back to follow her with his gaze, but you notice that he doesn't leave the room.

"What... is she all right...?" you hear him ask in the background, but you don't concern yourself too much with his worries. Something bigger is at stake here. You point at the bracelet and ask him about Liam. He seems to go even a bit paler, if that's possible.

"Liam... was the kid" he eventually mumbles. "Her son. She had him before she arrived here, but..."

You arch an eyebrow. There's clearly no baby stuff in the room, and the man isn't making much sense.

"... she wouldn't come out one morning, and we opened the room, and she was like that, and the kid..." he stops for a second, as if collecting himself. "We called the police, but... the security cameras had nothing, no one had seen anything, and she was... well, she was like that. They didn't... they still haven't found him"

You look up following his gestures. There is a small slit window at the top of the room, which probably goes out around ground level outside. It seems to open upwards, enough for a slight breeze to come in, and definitely not for a person, no matter how small. Brian notices you looking, and nods.

"Yes. I know. It's dumb. And yet, we found it open, rain was coming in, the floor was all wet. She would have never left it open. She was... she really cared for Liam..."

Shellception fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2024

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Hendrick

Hendrick nods at what Brian is telling him. It wasn't stupid, not really; not with what he's seen at any rate. He writes his number down on a small sticky note and hands it to Brian.

"Text me at this number if anything changes with her. I'll do my best to try and track down Liam and his kidnapper, I've got a feeling it's connected to the original death somehow."

He then checks the window and everywhere that would make sense for something stealing a baby from the woman and leaving, and then heads outside the hotel to where the window must be to check around there for as much information as he can get.

Rolled a 9 to investigating a mystery. Obviously something took the baby, where did it go?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Hendrick

You carefully inspect the room. Nothing much catching your attention: there are faint, dark mold marks on the floor, probably consequence of the small flood Brian mentioned. At your request, he takes a folding cot with some baby stuff out of the wardrobe, and you notice there is a bit of mud on the edge, as if something wet and dirty had touched it. No blood anywhere, you note, which is a bit of a relief.

Inspecting the outside doesn't tell you much. It opens out to the right side of the hotel, and there is a path around, but if there were any clues this side, they've since then been cleaned up. You kneel and check the window opening: you can fit your arm there, but not much else, and definitely can't sneak in. You have your doubts that even a child could fit, though a baby probably could - and did. It's a tight opening, and it's also a jump from there. On closer inspection, there is some mud here too.

Speaking of children, a small voice chittering interrupts your thoughts. You turn in its direction and notice Simon talking to a small kid.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 27, 2024

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Ray (and Leo)

You confusedly hold onto Maeby, muttering some comforting words as she recomposes herself. It takes a bit for her to calm down, but it seems to end up working. You can make up a repeated name from her mumbling: Liam.

Small solve for the roll.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Simon

Regarding the boy in mild surprise, Simon returns a swift nod of acceptance before he can even think it out. It seems his stomach is dictating his decisions this morning.

He smiles in amusement at Neko's cozy backpack ride, and Miu retreats likewise into her preferred nest of hair. As Chris sets off toward his grandma's house, his cheerful chatter passes the time. Simon wonders if he will perhaps glean information about the incidents, if by any chance the woman is part of the town gossip circle. After all, strange news travels fast.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Simon

You follow the kid down the hill and into the town. He only seems to vacillate a little when you both cross the bridge over the river, and you notice him speeding up and not looking down. Otherwise, he's a chatterbox, though much of what he's saying seems to be mostly about birds: what birds live in which trees, and which birds have nests, and how many eggs on each nest, and how many of them have already hatched and did you know there is a crow nest way up in the hill and he's never seen a crow before and he climbed up to it and it was really up high but the crow mom got angry and he had to speed down and almost fell and scraped his knees but there's at least two eggs and they are green and green is a cool color and there aren't many green eggs around and there'll be little crows soon and he'll be back to see them and...

... you notice you are venturing a bit out of the town, now. You've been walking for a bit, but the usual row of houses has turned onto fields again. You can still see some scattered houses here and there, but they seem a bit far away. Before you can question it, though, you cross by a row of buildings and arrive at what seems to be another street running onto the forest, this time around the hill. Chris guides you to a particularly big house at the end of the row.

"Home" he says, and runs up to it, ringing the bell. You can smell food inside, and your stomach growls a bit in turn. After a few seconds, a diminute old lady with her hair up in a bun opens the door, and Chris jumps to hug her, almost making her fall to the ground.

"Where were you?" she chides, but you notice her smiling. "Again chasing birds? What about breakfast? Come on, you little..."

She seems to notice you. "Oh. And you are?"

"Simon" Chris says, enthusiatically, as the cat slinks out of the backpack and into the house. "Grandma, he is FRIEND" he remarks, with unexpected eagerness. "He does not talk. He wants breakfast too"

She looks at you over her glasses, but she doesn't seem to question her grandson. "Hope he hasn't bothered you much" she says. "Come on in"

She guides you through the house; it's old, full of sturdy-looking furniture, and it smells old, if that's a smell, and also vaguely of tobacco. You arrive at a big kitchen, with a solid wooden table in the middle, where Chris is already seated, expectant. So is Neko, who is watching the scene from behind the table.

"Coffee? Pancakes?" she asks you. "We have cream too. And strawberries, maybe. Chris, did you eat all of them...?" The boy shakes his head, as if offended by the mere thought.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 27, 2024

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Updated town map

Fixed the Crime Scene marker to be closer to the actual place.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Simon

Simon nods in vigorous acceptance of the coffee and pancakes with everything on top. He clasps his hands together in gratitude, flashing a grin at the elderly lady as she bustles around to prepare breakfast. His eyes wander across the kitchen walls, and he is reminded that the wallpaper is vaguely similar to how his mum had decorated their house, when his parents were still alive. The scent of lovingly cooked food is something increasingly rare to him these days, and he inhales the nostalgia with a bittersweet smile. Turning to Chris, Simon asks the most important question he's thought of all morning: Do you eat pancakes here every day!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Simon

"Nana does them" you get, as a pretty obvious answer mumbled through a happily full mouth. "I love pancakes"

As the lady finishes serving, she pours a bowl of milk and, somewhat strangely, puts it onto the table, near an empty chair. The, she puts a pancake aside for herself and sits by your side. Neko immediately jumps onto the chair, puts his front paws on the table and starts greedily licking the milk bowl, in that cat way that implies food might disappear at any moment and therefore is better eaten right now.

"Sorry, did I introduce myself? I'm Yuko. He's my grandson, Chris. He is here for spring break" the lady tells you. "Are you from around here? I don't get out much as of late..."

"Nana, he DOES NOT TALK" Chris interrupts, in an indignant raised voice, as if offended she's forgotten that clearly important fact already. He gets shushed in return.

"Lower your voice, you're going to wake up grandpa" she scolds him, then gets up and starts rummaging on a basket by the counter that seems to be full of small knicknacks. "Sorry. I think there was a pencil here... Chris, be a good boy and get your friend a notebook, please" The boy reluctantly gets up and runs off somewhere.

As you get left on your own for a minute to concentrate in the pile of pancakes in front of you, your hunter observation instincts seem to ping you a bit. You stare straight at the drinking cat - more exactly, at its tail, hanging low by the back of the chair. All two of them, in fact.

Without stopping his breakfast, the cat returns your look with a stare, as if daring you to say anything. You don't have too long to wonder, though, as a sticky hand pushes a school notebook and a slightly munched pencil onto yours. His mission clearly accomplished, Chris flashes you a smile and goes back to his seat.

You can roll Investigate if you want to try and see how much exactly Simon has noticed.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 28, 2024