Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Nebakenezzer posted:

Mercury pollution combines with other pollution to form Methyl Mercury in Northern Ontario River: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/grassy-narrows-first-nation-methylmercury-study-1.7211750

While the wastewater coming from the mill today does not contain mercury, it does contain high levels of sulfate and organic matter, which "feed the bacteria that produce methylmercury from inorganic mercury in the environment," the study says.

Well that's a new way of getting poisoned I never knew existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's the "normal" way of mercury poisoning in the 21st century. Bioaccumulation starts with microorganisms fixing mercury into organic mercury compounds. Complex organisms then eat them and in turn tend to taste real good.

The whole situation in the article describes an unfortunate amount of ecosystems in the developed world where mercury was dumped 50 years ago before current regulations where causing blooms is now a big lever in how bioavailable mercury travels through the food chain. In contrast to the developing or less regulated world where the mercury is still dumped in quantity and bio availability tracks with that amount at least until they stop and now they are also operating in the mercury reserve model.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
My first job was back in the 2000s when the Clean Air Act was to be amended to cap-and-trade mercury emissions -- and our plant was to install activated charcoal scrubbers -- and everything was "Ontario Hydro method, this," "Ontario Hydro method, that." I guess that explains why.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
The local canal is no longer used for commercial purposes but is for pleasure craft, and the speed is capped so they don't disturb the interesting mercury gel sitting on the bottom.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Feed a fever, war crime a cold.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it's fine

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Groda posted:

My first job was back in the 2000s when the Clean Air Act was to be amended to cap-and-trade mercury emissions -- and our plant was to install activated charcoal scrubbers -- and everything was "Ontario Hydro method, this," "Ontario Hydro method, that." I guess that explains why.

The plant in question is a pulp and paper mill, not a power station.

I assume mercury organic compounds are as bad to life below us as it is to us? Sidebar: so in recent years I was made aware of that hydroelectric projects sometimes float a hell of a lot of mercury into the ecosystem when the project creates its lake. Does mercury get neutralized like oil over time, or what happens when it is released into nature? I'm under the impression nation eventually cleans itself up.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

The plant in question is a pulp and paper mill, not a power station.

I assume mercury organic compounds are as bad to life below us as it is to us? Sidebar: so in recent years I was made aware of that hydroelectric projects sometimes float a hell of a lot of mercury into the ecosystem when the project creates its lake. Does mercury get neutralized like oil over time, or what happens when it is released into nature? I'm under the impression nation eventually cleans itself up.

as always, it depends on concentration but it can actually be worse for lower lifeforms. Like, environmentally relevant concentrations will gently caress up some bacteria real bad.

As for persistence... it's an element, rather than a compound, that gets put into various coordinate complexes with ligands, some less directly harmful (to humans) than others but which can still enter into various biochemical pathways in bacteria or animals that lead to severe damage.

The issue for people in "developed" nations with rules about dumping is that mercury can be persistent in the environment even if it's put into different, less directly harmful, complexes. Then it bioaccumulates as it goes up the food chain, same with pcbs, pbbs. Concentrations get higher as it goes up in the food chain with bigger animals have larger concentrations present.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
also even if mercury is in a less-harmful complex it can be transferred into a more harmful one by biochemical pathways in nature or the body. It depends.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The bottom line on mercury removal is you can get it out of a waterway by:
Remediation, an imperfect environmental engineering project that is expensive and/or slightly impossible for certain sizes of waterway or configurations of how and where mercury is.
Or
Letting bioaccumulation do its thing so that birds and mammals (including humans) eat fish and die on land returning the mercury whence it came.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Simply blast the mercury with neutrons until it all becomes radioactive and turns into other elements

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

zedprime posted:

Remediation, an imperfect environmental engineering project that is expensive and/or slightly impossible for certain sizes of waterway or configurations of how and where mercury is.
Or
Letting bioaccumulation do its thing so that birds and mammals (including humans) eat fish and die on land returning the mercury whence it came.

yeah I didn't mention it but it's in large part a marine (and also aerial) issue but it's also a concentration/aggregation issue. This stuff was in rocks, often underground and spread out. Then it was taken, concentrated, used as reagents or coming out through burning of coal and huge amounts were dispersed into the biosphere that doesn't really have a good way of dealing with it. Returning it to something close to it's original state or at least getting out of the way is a monumental and difficult task.

toxicology and more specifically marine toxicology has some really cool chemistry involved

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Zopotantor posted:

Was that what happened to Brsen?

That was a real tragedy, sorry.

I mean no people died, the works of art got saved, a stock exchange that used to be the site of witch trials burned down. I'm not loving crying.

zedprime posted:

Or

I seem to remember some remediation projects being a combination of the two, focused on setting up a lot of plants(which don't move around) and are likely to accumulate the offending substance/element, which can then be harvested and put somewhere safe and far away from people. So, yeah, imperfect, impossible at certain scales, slow and expensive, I guess, but the best we've got.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean no people died, the works of art got saved, a stock exchange that used to be the site of witch trials burned down. I'm not loving crying.

The major problem I see is rebuilding it will gently caress up traffic between Sjælland and Amager.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rust Martialis posted:

The major problem I see is rebuilding it will gently caress up traffic between Sjælland and Amager.

I mean no people died, the works of art got saved, a stock exchange that used to be the site of witch trials burned down, and car traffic will get hosed up. I'm close to celebrating.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean no people died, the works of art got saved, a stock exchange that used to be the site of witch trials burned down, and car traffic will get hosed up. I'm close to celebrating.

A lot of buses via Kongens Nytorv pass that way. Not everyone lives/works walking distance from the Metro, dude.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

BMan posted:

Simply blast the mercury with neutrons until it all becomes radioactive and turns into other elements

LANL employee spotted

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

PurpleXVI posted:

I seem to remember some remediation projects being a combination of the two, focused on setting up a lot of plants(which don't move around) and are likely to accumulate the offending substance/element, which can then be harvested and put somewhere safe and far away from people. So, yeah, imperfect, impossible at certain scales, slow and expensive, I guess, but the best we've got.

I got super into bioremediation a few years ago thinking it would be a twofer to sequester carbon and heavy metals and one of the more interesting things I learned before stalling out is that some plants will hyperaccumulate enough mercury or arsenic or whatever that it'll poison you on contact, no food web neccessary. The flip side of this though is that hyperaccumulation can be really tissue specific, which is how you get lavender oil farms being planted on coal mine tailings where nothing else can grow without the still house turning into the Appalachian cousin of DuPont's "House of Butterflies."

Bioremediation is cool as hell

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Plant crops that bioaccumulate mercury, lead and arsenic. Design pressure furnace that turns them into charcoal briquettes. Return the artisanal free range superfund pellets to the bottom of a deep rock coal mine, interspersed with colorful plastic pellets proclaiming 'no honored deed'.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Plant crops that bioaccumulate mercury, lead and arsenic. Design pressure furnace that turns them into charcoal briquettes. Return the artisanal free range superfund pellets to the bottom of a deep rock coal mine, interspersed with colorful plastic pellets proclaiming 'no honored deed'.

Solar powered carbon sequestration

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mycomancy posted:

Solar powered carbon sequestration

Literally the entire carboniferous period.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Literally the entire carboniferous period.

So we just kill off any fungus or bacteria that can break down cellulose? That should be easy and have no repercussions whatsoever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kvantum posted:

So we just kill off any fungus or bacteria that can break down cellulose? That should be easy and have no repercussions whatsoever.

We just need to genetically engineer a plant that can produce diamonds, which nothing knows how to eat!

(a few hundred million years later, nature finally figures out how to crack diamonds and put all that carbon back into circulation again...)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We just need to genetically engineer a plant that can produce diamonds, which nothing knows how to eat!

(a few hundred million years later, nature finally figures out how to crack diamonds and put all that carbon back into circulation again...)

Teaching plants to fix nitrogen would be really loving awesome. Stupid plants, its right there. Just eat it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Teaching plants to fix nitrogen would be really loving awesome. Stupid plants, its right there. Just eat it.

That actually sounds plausible, insofar as plenty of plants can already do it. We just need to figure out how to transplant those reaction pathways in a useful way to the other crops.

...now get them to find their own phosphorous...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Teaching plants to fix nitrogen would be really loving awesome. Stupid plants, it’s right there. Just eat it.

Well, Nitroplasts just got discovered. ( https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-01046-z )

Of course the real mad science geoengineering carbon fixing idea is to just create a mirror-chirality algae and unleash it into the oceans, aince nothing can eat them, then unleash a mirror pathogen when you're done to wipe out the algae clones.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kvantum posted:

Someone already suggested blasting everything with neutrons, let's try that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tunicate posted:

Well, Nitroplasts just got discovered. ( https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-01046-z )

Of course the real mad science geoengineering carbon fixing idea is to just create a mirror-chirality algae and unleash it into the oceans, aince nothing can eat them, then unleash a mirror pathogen when you're done to wipe out the algae clones.

Just because something can't eat it doesn't mean it won't try. Also good job inventing a parallel ecosystem that wants to kill us just by existing.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Phanatic posted:

Teaching plants to fix nitrogen would be really loving awesome. Stupid plants, it’s right there. Just eat it.

Plants don't know how to do anything on their own, they just force bacteria to do their bidding.
Stupid, Lazy Eukaryotes. You can't even perform respiration without a prokaryote slave.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I wonder how hard it would be to engineer something that eats LDPE.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It certainly is possible. The real trick is not getting to overspread after initial application. Also getting it to break down plastic into harmless byproducts instead of toxic chemicals.

The really real trick is getting your bacteria to do it in the wild, as it were, instead of a temperature controlled laboratory environment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I wonder how hard it would be to engineer something that eats LDPE.

Biodegradation of Unpretreated Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE) by Stenotrophomonas sp. and Achromobacter sp., Isolated From Waste Dumpsite and Drilling Fluid

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can feel the caveats from here without even opening the article.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Now do Teflon without it farting fluorine.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Mustached Demon posted:

Now do Teflon without it farting fluorine.

Perflourinated compounds are pretty incompatible with life but hey, how else are we going to stop McChicken wrappers from getting soggy?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Or make something marine that makes excessive amounts of calciumcarbonate, that might even be healthy for the sea while fixing carbon at the same time.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Zudgemud posted:

Or make something marine that makes excessive amounts of calciumcarbonate, that might even be healthy for the sea while fixing carbon at the same time.

Good news. This also leads to an increase in the population of fish and animals which eat those phytoplankton.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's gonna be awesome when we can select for the good algae and not the frat bro algae that binges all the fertilizer and starts puking everywhere.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DildenAnders posted:

Perflourinated compounds are pretty incompatible with life but hey, how else are we going to stop McChicken wrappers from getting soggy?

Don't forget dry-fit clothing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

darthbob88 posted:

Good news. This also leads to an increase in the population of fish and animals which eat those phytoplankton.

But the article does say the evidence for any significant carbon sequestration as a result is contested at best.