Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

12/9/15 edit: OP updated with new Things I Won't Work With links

The PYF obsolete and failed technology thread has derailed into a discussion of dangerous chemistry, largely sourced from chemist Derek Lowe's Things I Won't Work With blog and a few from Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants (After a couple of back-and-forths, Ignition! is apparently not public domain so I won't link to it but there are scans of it everywhere.) It started with a discussion of the volatility of nitrocellulose film and difficulty of extinguishing it when it catches fire, carbon tetrachloride, which will extinguish nitrocellulose fires but is nasty stuff capable of causing multiple organ failure, and touched on such wonderful things as a mercury-fueled rocket and a number of delightful chemicals that can and will kill you with little or no provocation.

I'll start us off with a few.

FOOF
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride
The namsake of this thread, FOOF is a powerful oxidizer that tends to blow up on contact with lots of things.

From Wikipedia

quote:

Dioxygen difluoride reacts with nearly every chemical it encounters – even ordinary ice – leading to its onomatopoeic nickname "FOOF" (a play on its chemical formula).
The material has no practical applications but has been of theoretical interest.
FOOF can be produced by reacting gaseous oxygen and fluorine at about 20% above atmospheric pressure. Ask a chemist to do this and they'll probably tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Chlorine Trifluoride
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time
From Things I Won't Work With

quote:

In a comment to my post on putting out fires last week, one commenter mentioned the utility of the good old sand bucket, and wondered if there was anything that would go on to set the sand on fire. Thanks to a note from reader Robert L., I can report that there is indeed such a reagent: chlorine trifluoride .

I have not encountered this fine substance myself, but reading up on its properties immediately gives it a spot on my “no way, no how” list. Let's put it this way: during World War II, the Germans were very interested in using it in self-igniting flamethrowers, but found it too nasty to work with. It is apparently about the most vigorous fluorinating agent known, and is much more difficult to handle than fluorine gas. That’s one of those statements you don’t get to hear very often, and it should be enough to make any sensible chemist turn around smartly and head down the hall in the other direction.

The compound also a stronger oxidizing agent than oxygen itself, which also puts it into rare territory. That means that it can potentially go on to “burn” things that you would normally consider already burnt to hell and gone, and a practical consequence of that is that it’ll start roaring reactions with things like bricks and asbestos tile. It’s been used in the semiconductor industry to clean oxides off of surfaces, at which activity it no doubt excels.
And from Ignition!

quote:

”It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”
I'll let the video of ClF3 reacting with various pieces of safety equipment speak for itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l56AfUTnQ

Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2011/11/11/things_i_wont_work_with_hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane
Quite possibly the most fun to say of the bunch, and it's notable for becoming more stable when you mix it in a 1:1 ratio with TNT.

From Things I Won't Work With

quote:

Hexanitro? Say what? I'd call for all the chemists who've ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio. Nitro groups, as even people who've never taken a chemistry class know, can lead to firey booms, and putting six of them on one molecule can only lead to such. And since there are six nitrogens and six nitro groups, the first assumption must be that these are all bonded to each other. I mean, come on, leaving the nitro groups attached to the carbons is for wimps. So that means that someone, somewhere, has perversely made a poly-N-nitro cage compound, as if they'd been dared to cram the most bond energy into the smallest space.
272px-CL-20.svg.png
That, as it happens, is exactly the case. Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, or CL-20, was developed as a highly energetic, compact, and efficient explosive. What makes it unusual is not that it blows up - go find me a small hexa-N-nitro compound that doesn't - but that it doesn't actually blow up immediately, early, and often. No, making things that go off when someone down the hall curses at the coffee machine, that's no problem. Making something like this that can actually be handled and stored is a real accomplishment.

Not that it's what you'd call a perfect compound in that regard - despite a lot of effort, it's still not quite ready to be hauled around in trucks. There's a recent report of a method to make a more stable form of it, by mixing it with TNT. Yes, this is an example of something that becomes less explosive as a one-to-one cocrystal with TNT. Although, as the authors point out, if you heat those crystals up the two components separate out, and you're left with crystals of pure CL-20 soaking in liquid TNT, a situation that will heighten your awareness of the fleeting nature of life.

Hydrofluoric Acid
HF is an incredibly useful solvent in a number of industries. It is also known as bone-seeking acid because it readily penetrates tissue and starts leaching calcium out of your bones and calcium and magnesium from blood. Burns can easily go unnoticed as it rapidly destroys nerves and visible damage doesn't appear until hours to a day later. The delay in symptoms leads to delays in treatment, which just compounds the problem. Once it penetrates tissue, it's too late to wash it off. HF is produced as a combustion product of fluorine compounds, and makes electrical substation fires an even bigger hazard to emergency personnel because they have to worry about their bones being dissolved in addition to not getting electrocuted.

Get your very own NFPA 444 sign right here!

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm already loving this thread, especially for the blog most of your quotes come from. Derek Lowe's writing style is delightful and I've been linked to a few of his pieces in the past, it's an inspiration to see a Chemist who can talk so entertainingly about pretty sciency stuff without it requiring years of study to understand.

Granted, I had those, but I know for a fact that for example students of French can still get a heartly laugh (and scare) from his stories. Now to annoy my buddy who seriously considers going into Fluoride chemistry "for the excitement". Child's play.

In a few years, I'll post the E/N thread "Drove my friend to suicide by insane chemical, feel like drowning myself in organic solvents to make up for it".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yay! Unstable chemicals!

Nitrogen Triiodide
So unstable it can explode due to a slight breeze, or alpha radiation.

Video, Set it off with a feather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlAf936E90

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Yay! Unstable chemicals!

Nitrogen Triiodide

How did they get the material in place without it detonating so they could run the test?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

How did they get the material in place without it detonating so they could run the test?
"When dried" is probably the important term here.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dimethyl mercury is pretty loving :stare:

A relatively tiny amount can cause a long slow death. Gloves? gently caress 'em it'll go right through a lot of types of gloves!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Chlorine trifluoride is nice but bromine pentafluoride is better. It's used for mass spectrometric analysis because it vaporizes rocks. Also when it reacts with water it created a cloud of HF gas.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
This is still my favorite thing from that blog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixxJtJPVXk

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I've always loved Alkali metals.

There's something about a material which blows up - in its purest form when in contact with water.

Edit: beaten.. I left the post linger too long (20 minutes!)

To make up for this, here's a video displaying sulfuric acid mixed with sugar

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TZer0 posted:

I've always loved Alkali metals.
Tons of fun.
Here's 20,000lbs of wartime surplus sodium metal vs. a frozen alkaline lake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Octanitrocubane. Has one of the highest explosive velocities in existence, at 10.1km/sec. Fairly stable as I recall, would be used as a high explosive but synthesizing cubane isn't easy and it's not exactly cheap from natural sources either.

A conjectured allotrope of nitrogen, octaazacubane. Yep, that's N8. Nope, I don't think it's possible to create it, but I'm tempted to see if I can track down that group in Germany whose highly nitrogenous work is frequently featured on Things I Won't Work With.

If they succeed, they should probably try octanitrooctaazacubane next.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

That's ... quite a bit of bond energy in a small space.

Looking at the Wikipedia article on Octaazacubane led me to this paper about Hexacontaazabuckministerfullerane http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0009261403010583
That's a buckyball with nitrogen substituted for all 60 carbon atoms, and they think it may be possible to synthesize it. Energy released by dissociation into nitrogen molecules would be 1622.9 kcal/mol :stare:

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Jan 12, 2014

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Oh, chemistry, you be cray-cray. Looking forward to seeing and learning about more crazy poo poo.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I've always been fond of this combination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ritaljhhk7s

quote:

Igniting mercury(II) thiocyanate causes it to decompose into an insoluble brown mass that is primarily carbon nitride, C2N4. Mercury(II) sulfide and carbon disulfide are also produced.
2Hg(SCN)2 → 2HgS + CS2 + C3N4

Flammable carbon disulfide combusts to carbon(IV) oxide and sulfur(IV) oxide:

CS2 + 3O2 → CO2 + 2SO2

The heated C3N4 partially breaks down to form nitrogen gas and dicyan:

2C3N4 → 3(CN)2 + N2

Mercury(II) sulfide reacts with oxygen to form mercury vapor and sulfur dioxide. If the reaction is performed inside a container, you will be able to observe a gray mercury film coating its interior surface.

HgS + O2 → Hg + SO2

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

WebDog posted:

I've always been fond of this combination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ritaljhhk7s

:aaaaa: Chemistry is awesome. drat.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

That's what they used to make snake fireworks out of before environmental regulations and common sense colluded to stop allowing children to handle mercury compounds and set them on fire.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, I remember having a little indoor fireworks set as a kid in the late 70s and it included a very small version of that elephant's trunk or pharaoh's snake effect. I also had a great chemistry set and my mum would go buy me chemicals I asked her for. No idea how toxic any of those might have been, but I wasn't stupid enough to taste them.
Hmm, I wonder if that kit is still knocking around somewhere? I'll have to search for it and see how bad the stuff I was playing with was.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hexyflexy has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Aug 23, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Let's have some thermite action.
From the British show Braniac, thermite vs. liquid nitrogen, a car engine block and fuel tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCsbZf1_Ng

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thermite is cool, but it's not really something that goes FOOF in the night. It's very hard to to light (although magnesium does the trick) and otherwise only really dangerous if you snort it.

Iron oxide and aluminum dust is not a pretty thing to inhale, but other than that, it's extremely benign.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Does the Golden book of Chemistry count?

Despite it's hyped up reputation of being a "banned" book. In reality it just went out of print, then resurfaced in the 90's as people went a bit hysteric over the fact it taught you to make chlorine gas from household materials.

If anything it's severely lax in regards to safety standards, no one in the book is wearing any safety gear, not even the scientist.
The book opens by imploring you to grab whatever been lying around the house to use as, such as creating beaker stands from twisting coat hangers or converting old perfume bottles into wick burners.

The whole book has this whimsical innocence about it, for instance describing Marie Curie's discovery of uranium via her enchanted glowing shed. Neglecting to note the downsides. It being the 60's the future is nuclear!

And then the fun begins, such as taking apart a battery with a can opener to scoop out manganese dioxide.

Or filling a bottle up with hydrochloric acid, zinc and water to inflate a balloon. Along with other basic creations like hydrogen, ammonia and iodine or playing around with lye and learning how to make and set fire to boric acid and magnesium.

None of the experiments even suggest much in the way of safety other than "oh make sure this doesn't catch fire" or "cover with towel in case it explodes".

According to it's reference charts everything was obtainable at a chemist or drug store at the time. I'm sure half of these are highly regulated nowadays.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

KozmoNaut posted:

Thermite is cool, but it's not really something that goes FOOF in the night. It's very hard to to light (although magnesium does the trick) and otherwise only really dangerous if you snort it.

Iron oxide and aluminum dust is not a pretty thing to inhale, but other than that, it's extremely benign.

On the flipside, it is a positive nightmare to put out if you do manage to light it on fire.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Computer viking posted:

On the flipside, it is a positive nightmare to put out if you do manage to light it on fire.

Well yeah, self-oxidizing compounds tend to have that downside :)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, if you want unstable chemicals, i've work in one lab where there's been a dried-up bottle of Picric Acid at the back of the cupboard which no one wanted to touch.
I was slightly concerned about an ancient, half empty bottle of ether in my last laboratory, as ether can form explosive peroxides in the presence of air. Apart from that, I haven't really worked with much dangerous stuff, as I mostly deal with inorganic chemistry.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

TZer0 posted:

To make up for this, here's a video displaying sulfuric acid mixed with sugar

I prefer this method of making big carbon dongs, it's more interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pNXAtPJp8

Still regret not seeing this video before I finished my degree and couldn't dick around in the chemistry department anymore.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Say Nothing posted:

Well, if you want unstable chemicals, i've work in one lab where there's been a dried-up bottle of Picric Acid at the back of the cupboard which no one wanted to touch.
I was slightly concerned about an ancient, half empty bottle of ether in my last laboratory, as ether can form explosive peroxides in the presence of air. Apart from that, I haven't really worked with much dangerous stuff, as I mostly deal with inorganic chemistry.

Some dude near where my parents live had like 250 liters of ether in his basement, from when he used to fly model airplanes. After a news segment on TV concerning the dangers of stored ether in school laboratories, he phoned the local fire department and asked them what he should do with 250 liters of potentially very unstable ether. Their response was "Sleep somewhere else tonight, the bomb disposal unit will be there first thing in the morning".

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Anything dangerous is fair game, I just thought FOOF would make for an entertaining thread title

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Say Nothing posted:

Yay! Unstable chemicals!

Nitrogen Triiodide

I have a story about this stuff..

Back in my school days, Chemistry was the only subject that I really excelled in. My love of practical chemistry caught the eye of my amazingly charismatic (and somewhat insane) polish Chem teacher (this guy- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbigniew_Szydlo) when I was in the lower 6th (17 years old), who had a side job of doing lectures in schools and universities around the south of England. He needed an assistant for his lectures, and recruited me to help out.

As the wiki article describes, his lectures used a /lot/ of pretty violent chemistry- regularly I'd be found in the lab preparing nitrocellulose gun-cotton, thermite and other stuff that a 17 year old really had no reason to be doing. But to get to the point, in spring 1999 we were invited to do a demonstration at a girl's school in Eastbourne, about an hour and a half from the school. The high-point of the finale would be a demonstration of rockets powered by gun-cotton being fired down wires along the length of the auditorium into little parcels of nitrogen triiodide, while assorted other things bubbled, changed state or blew themselves to pieces for the delectation of the audience.

We mixed all the chemicals up and set off from the school in his horrible clapped out Triumph Herald (I literally had to hold the door shut at one point). I had 20l of liquid nitrogen in a vacuum flask between my legs, half a pound of guncotton sitting on my lap and on top of that the parcels of triiodide, carefully moistened with ammonia. As stated, it's stable when wet- but this is time limited. And we hit traffic on the motorway. Sitting there with literally a bomb that could be set off with a feather resting in my crotch was certainly one of the more nervewracking journeys of my life, as time ticked on.

Eventually we got to the school almost 45 minutes late, and putting it bluntly we were out of time. The iodide exploded literally thirty seconds after we pulled up and got out of the car- I tossed it behind a tree when we saw how dry it was. It went off loudly, and blew a small flowerbed to pieces.

So yeah, that's how chemistry nearly killed me. Frankly I'm amazed looking back that Andrew was able to get away with it all- most of the experiments we did were completely banned in state schools at the time even for demonstration.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

Let's have some thermite action.
From the British show Braniac, thermite vs. liquid nitrogen, a car engine block and fuel tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCsbZf1_Ng

Speaking of melting engine blocks - I only found out a couple years ago that mercury will, if allowed access to a fresh scratch in the oxide layer, attack the poo poo out of aluminum. I could swear someone in AI did that to a junked aluminum block.

It's not personally super-dangerous outside the usual caveat that it's a heavy metal. Unless you were to, say, bring a mercury-based thermometer aboard an airplane and have it crack and leak onto an aluminum frame element during a flight. And it turns out the FAA does have regulations about keeping big thermometers and barometers inside leakproof containers.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Camrath posted:

We mixed all the chemicals up and set off from the school in his horrible clapped out Triumph Herald (I literally had to hold the door shut at one point). I had 20l of liquid nitrogen in a vacuum flask between my legs, half a pound of guncotton sitting on my lap and on top of that the parcels of triiodide, carefully moistened with ammonia.

Not that you needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious chemistry collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

We had a lot of trouble with magnesium ribbon at a goonmeet I hosted in 2012. Fortunately I had a jar of magnalium (thermite made with an alloy of magnesium and aluminum, easy to light with a blowtorch and burns hot enough to light pure aluminum thermite) and fellow AI/DIY goon sharkytm had brought a stash of expired safety flares which also work quite nicely, so we had no problems burning the 32lbs of thermite I had on hand.

Road safety flares are my favorite ignition method, honestly, because they are around 9" long, strike on the included striker, and disposable. Also cheap, and they illuminate the area so you can find the thermite even if you're lighting it at night and had your night vision completely destroyed by the last thermite charge.

I'm not sure that iron/aluminum thermite really belongs in this thread, but it's awesome. Copper oxide/aluminum thermite, on the other hand, definitely belongs here. It releases a hell of a lot more molten metal a lot faster (because of how the stoichiometry works out since the copper in black copper oxide has a lot lower oxidation state than the iron in red iron oxide), so it's actually a severe hazard, if you aren't extremely careful you will be very badly burned as it splatters the produced liquid copper in every direction.

kastein has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Jan 13, 2014

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Keru posted:

Not that you needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious chemistry collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

:golfclap:

Really, Szydlo was the best possible example of a genuine mad scientist that I've ever met. I should totally look him up one of these days.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

KozmoNaut posted:

Some dude near where my parents live had like 250 liters of ether in his basement, from when he used to fly model airplanes. After a news segment on TV concerning the dangers of stored ether in school laboratories, he phoned the local fire department and asked them what he should do with 250 liters of potentially very unstable ether. Their response was "Sleep somewhere else tonight, the bomb disposal unit will be there first thing in the morning".

When I worked for a large oil company (even though I was in the IT department), everyone had to take mandatory hazardous materials training because they stored all sorts of interesting compounds on site (it was a research office). The course was called (I forget his name but will say) "Bob's Story" and was presented by a guy called Bob who had no hands, no eyes, and not much that you would recognise as "skin" either. Bob was now employed by the company to deliver safety lectures.

When a man who looks like a melted waxwork tells you this safety poo poo is important, you listen.

Bob used to be a tanker driver and delivered a truck full of ether to a glue factory. There was a leak in the valve attaching the delivery hose to the truck, and unknown to him (because he hadn't carried out the required checks) it was leaking out into the atmosphere and forming all sorts of compounds that you definitely don't want to light a cigarette anywhere near. Which is what he did.

So yeah, don't gently caress with Ether, unless you want to literally be a walking, talking warning to others.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddamn, I bet that lecture scared some suckers straight.

I attended a similar lecture, although not nearly as severe. It was a lecture on road safety, how you shouldn't drive tired, drive too fast, that sort of thing. The dude giving the lecture was in a wheelchair precisely because of a 100% preventable accident, and we had to sit through a graphic explanation of exactly what happened, how it ruined his life, caused him to split up with his girlfriend because of his depression and physical impairment (he split up with her, not the other way around, depression's a bitch), all redtold by a wheelchair-bound man on the verge of tears. Actually, the worst part of it was his description of how he woke up in the hospital, all tubed-up and everything, unable to feel anything below the waist, to see his otherwise 100% stoic father absolutely bawling his eyes out.

That really made a huge impact on me, those sorts of lessons always work better when told by someone who's actually lived the consequences.

kastein posted:

burning the 32lbs of thermite I had on hand.

Why am I not surprised?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

kastein posted:

We had a lot of trouble with magnesium ribbon at a goonmeet I hosted in 2012. Fortunately I had a jar of magnalium (thermite made with an alloy of magnesium and aluminum, easy to light with a blowtorch and burns hot enough to light pure aluminum thermite) and fellow AI/DIY goon sharkytm had brought a stash of expired safety flares which also work quite nicely, so we had no problems burning the 32lbs of thermite I had on hand.

Road safety flares are my favorite ignition method, honestly, because they are around 9" long, strike on the included striker, and disposable. Also cheap, and they illuminate the area so you can find the thermite even if you're lighting it at night and had your night vision completely destroyed by the last thermite charge.

I prefer the method Szydlo taught me for ignition- barium peroxide oxidiser topped off with potassium permanganate and glycerol. Then just gob on top of the mixture to provide water as a catalyst, and retire to a safe distance.

...The more I look back on this with adult eyes, the more I realise that the man might be genuinely mad.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know if it qualifies, being a natural compound and all, but you gotta gives props to what is likely deadliest toxin in the world:

Botulinuum Toxin. Which, of course, causes botulism. Produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium.

quote:

Botulin toxin produced by C. botulinum is often believed to be a potential bioweapon as it is so potent that it takes about 75 nanograms to kill a person (LD50 of 1 ng/kg,[26] assuming an average person weighs ~75 kg); 1 kilogram of it would be enough to kill the entire human population. For comparative purposes, a quarter of a typical grain of sand's weight (350 ng) of botulinum toxin would constitute a lethal dose for humans.

There's even a variety of the toxin that's DEADLIER than that:

quote:

An eighth toxin, type H, was discovered by researchers at the California Department of Public Health in 2013. With a lethal dose of 2 ng by injection or 13 ng by inhalation, it was deemed the most toxic substance on Earth.

Two nanograms will kill you. :stare:

That's an impossibly small amount.

And there are people voluntarily injecting this poo poo in their face just to temporarily rid themselves of wrinkles.

Edit: Fixed links.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Jan 13, 2014

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

KozmoNaut posted:

Thermite is cool, but it's not really something that goes FOOF in the night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6cMmk8LZgQ
:colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

And there are people voluntarily injecting this poo poo in their face just to temporarily rid themselves of wrinkles.

That somehow weirds me out even more then Webdog's thing. How does that work?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Has anyone figured out what exactly is going on there? It's gotta be some reaction, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

DrBouvenstein posted:

Botulinuum Toxin. Which, of course, causes botulism. Produced by the Clostridium botulinum bacterium.

For about 5 years I was terrified to eat anything from cans because my bio teacher in HS told us about someone who had a can that was infected with botulinuum, took one taste of the contents and dropped dead on the spot.

I am an avid cook and very aware of food sanitation but I will probably never make preserves for this specific reason.