Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
Tens of OOTS readers get drunk on Coors; Complain about Rubber Balls, Dead Paladins.

Now onto this comic...

Xykon's best stragedy at this point is to drop a force cage on himself and teleport his rear end home, rather than face a room full of Divine Positive Energy Spirits from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 8, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

Heck, why not have them start out by committing suicide?! It's the People's Front Of Judea Crack Suicide Squad! ATTACK! urgh...

Martyrs must die in the line of duty. Mere suicide won't do the job.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zoolooman posted:

Martyrs must die in the line of duty. Mere suicide won't do the job.

What about that one paladin who offed herself, then?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Presumably Soon understands why she chose to do that and allowed her into the club regardless. An ethical code of conduct is necessarily flexible.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
You know, the battle between the paladins and Xykon could have just been a montage. Also, a force cage wouldn't help, since the ghost paladins are incorporeal.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
They wern't going to off themself while they had a chance of beating him, they didn't even know he'd be there.

And as for the ball, I think the two work well in concernt. #448 is "ha ha unbeatable Xykon does it again!" wich we've already seen, but re-asserts how evil he is, and then #449 is the "oh shiiit" twist on the initial cliche.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Brannock posted:

Symbol of insanity is actually permanent, so killing herself may have been out of insanity.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

greatn posted:

Symbol of insanity is actually permanent, so killing herself may have been out of insanity.

Even if not, based on the pseudo-Japanese culture, seppuku is the only means she could have restored her honor so in a way she is still a martyr. Or if not, one less person in the awesome-martyr-Paladin-army is hardly going to result in much less absolute ownage.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

greatn posted:

I saw it as her experiencing a brief moment of clarity just as she happened to be killing herself due to the insanity. Like, the mind clears for a moment, but it's already too late.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brannock posted:

I didn't see her join the Paladin Host.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

a force cage wouldn't help

Yes it would.

Force effects protect against incorporeal and ethereal attacks, and the cage can be made solid.

Anyway, I expect a timestop in the next comic.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

How many spells does he have left though? Such things have been given attention in the past.

The IronMonkey
Aug 5, 2005

Taerkar posted:

How many spells does he have left though? Such things have been given attention in the past.

Between magic items and various possible feats, there's no way to know even assuming he's a regular wizard type.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

He's a sorcerer, it's been explained.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The question is whether or not he's prepared any anti-undead spells. He's prepared a whole lot of spells with which to kill living opponents, but I think the ghost martyrs have thrown him for a loop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sorcerers can cast whatever they want as long as they know the spell and have a slot left.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

greatn posted:

The fact she expresses regret for her actions indicates that she was lucid at the time. Besides, that spell doesn't make the target kill himself. :)

greatn posted:

Sorcerers can cast whatever they want as long as they know the spell and have a slot left.

But then again they know a lot less spells, so there's a good chance that Xykon doesn't know it. Of course sorcerers can get around that by using scrolls.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Factor_VIII posted:

The fact she expresses regret for her actions indicates that she was lucid at the time. Besides, that spell doesn't make the target kill himself. :)

She could have rolled act normally for that turn.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

farraday posted:

She could have rolled act normally for that turn.

Is there any chance she was one of the unaffected paladins and had to slaughter her insane comrades?

edit whoops no she is right there with the swirly eyes and everything :saddowns:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Kahrytes posted:

Kay.

YOU draw it.
Your SUPER SLAM would work better if he hadn't done just that, only had a bunch of Paladins killing each other, instead of a bunch of Paladins getting killed by Xykon.

quote:

Would all of you stop bitching about the rubber loving ball?
No, because it was loving lame.

On the other hand, I don't play with min/maxers, so I guess I'm the wrong target for that kind of humor.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Xykon is a sorcerer. What kind of sorcerer, undead or otherwise, would walk into a room full of paladins and intend to fight them melee style? The bouncy ball is a very characteristic move of Xykon; creative, funny, and a real dick move. He could have killed all the paladins himself but he thought it would be funnier and more sadistic to make them kill each other.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
By the way, as I read everything from the beginning again, this was foreshadowed hard 35-36 strips ago. Maybe foreshadowed isn't the right word, how about.. spelled out completely.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html

Also this is the Second Time, that Xykon has actually made that face.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html

gothfae fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 9, 2007

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

gothfae posted:

Also this is the Second Time, that Xykon has actually made that face.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html

That would support the idea that its less a 'Oh poo poo' face and more a 'What the Hell' face.

Although I guess skull expressions can only differentiate so much

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Robot Bastard posted:

Your SUPER SLAM would work better if he hadn't done just that, only had a bunch of Paladins killing each other, instead of a bunch of Paladins getting killed by Xykon.
No, because it was loving lame.

No. See. He didn't.

He drew a bunch of insane Paladins killing people easily. Whereas if Xykon went one by one or even three by three or loving ten by ten through them, that would either be three times as long, or be one really, really long update, that I wouldn't want to have to see any artist do. Xykon killing EVERY paladin rather than making them dispose of themselves while he walks towards the throne would take a decent amount of time.

Or be REALLY boring. "Horrid wilting! Meteor swarm! Evard's Black Tentacles and ANOTHER meteor swarm!"

robot bastard posted:

On the other hand, I don't play with min/maxers, so I guess I'm the wrong target for that kind of humor.
gently caress, man, neither do I, I just think it was funny! You're really bitching over something as inanely stupid as a...

Aw, gently caress it. You're convinced you're right and I'm convinced you're a gently caress. I hope Xykon starts using the rubber ball trick a lot, to piss you off.

Hey guys! Order of the Stick is a webcomic!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

greatn posted:

Good point. I'm still not used to the idea of non-wizard arcane casters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man, I was going through the archives, and somehow I missed, the first time around, the one where we see that the letter Miko was carrying back from the Dwarven Lands, and lost, was a letter inviting Durkon to return whenever he sees fit.

Bloody hell. He doesn't get a break.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Order of the Stick is the only truly good webcomic ever to me, and everyone who spends their time hating it for GAME MECHANICS REASONS makes me sad.

I really do not understand how anyone who has read the series from beginning to end can possibly get upset whenever someone uses comedic techniques to accomplish something at least semi-serious (the extended "Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity" joke is a fine example there). It is abundantly obvious that Rich Burlew is an expert at maintaining continuity through the resolution of any plot holes or other seeming failings, often when you least expect it. It would not even surprise me if, sometime in the near future, there is some sort of reveal that makes the whole argument everyone had here seem slightly less important. Kind of like another level to the "oh man, ghost paladins, awesome" twist.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0450.html

New strip is up, proving once again that Belkar really is a awesome sexy shoeless god of war.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
:siren:NEW STRIP UP:siren:

and for all you people who complain it gets hammered, a thumbnail for you to click.

Oh, Belkar. :haw:

edit: Curse you, McCloud!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that is just awesome! Belkar is always one to think outside the box!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
That first panel is a thing of beauty. It really is. Perfectly suggests the epicness of the battle while still being drawn with little circles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if doing this in a city would trigger the Mark of Justice.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Women's Rights? posted:

That first panel is a thing of beauty. It really is. Perfectly suggests the epicness of the battle while still being drawn with little circles.

Is that the mystic theurge I see up on the castle near the smoke, laying waste to paladins?

I think it is. How the gently caress does he get that kinda detail out of stick figures? I love this comic.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
You can also see Belkar in the foreground, on his pile of Hobgoblin corpses, and Redcloak and the Shadow Creature in the middle of the Hobgoblin Reserve.

Edit: And the corpse of Roy.

The guy does perspective on the eye-dots.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I'd love to see a larger, like wall paper sized, copy of panal one. he works in illustrator so its doable, hell those might even be the original figures just zoomed waaay out.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

maltesh posted:

You can also see Belkar in the foreground, on his pile of Hobgoblin corpses, and Redcloak and the Shadow Creature in the middle of the Hobgoblin Reserve.

Edit: And the corpse of Roy.

The guy does perspective on the eye-dots.

Looking at it closer you can also see two Xykon decoys.

Not only that, but there's loving continuity on where Belkar is standing. Each of the remaining Xykon decoys are standing by him - one infront and one behind him. So it doesn't matter which way he's facing when he flips off the pile of corpses, he's going to land infront of a Xykon decoy.

That's some attention to detail right there. God I love this comic.

Women's Rights? fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 9, 2007

Samedi
Aug 26, 2003

I turn evil.

Quarex posted:

Order of the Stick is the only truly good webcomic ever to me, and everyone who spends their time hating it for GAME MECHANICS REASONS makes me sad.

I really do not understand how anyone who has read the series from beginning to end can possibly get upset whenever someone uses comedic techniques to accomplish something at least semi-serious (the extended "Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity" joke is a fine example there). It is abundantly obvious that Rich Burlew is an expert at maintaining continuity through the resolution of any plot holes or other seeming failings, often when you least expect it. It would not even surprise me if, sometime in the near future, there is some sort of reveal that makes the whole argument everyone had here seem slightly less important. Kind of like another level to the "oh man, ghost paladins, awesome" twist.

I think the game mechanics facet is being overemphasized. Take today's comic. I'm not sure Belkar's method would work under rules. But I found it funny. On the other hand, a lot of people were expecting a good fight when Xykon entered the throne room and found a bunch of paladins waiting for him. Instead we got a bouncy ball. I didn't enjoy the comic, other people didn't enjoy the comic, a lot of people did enjoy the comic. Different strokes, let it die.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Why is Belkar my favorite character?

Oh, that's right.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
So why is that decoy such a big puss? I didn't think undead had the capacity to be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

sakesniper posted:

So why is that decoy such a big puss? I didn't think undead had the capacity to be like that.
Because now the only unabashedly evil (read: fun) character in the Order has a magical flamethrowing skull.

That's why.

Samedi posted:

I think the game mechanics facet is being overemphasized. Take today's comic. I'm not sure Belkar's method would work under rules. But I found it funny. On the other hand, a lot of people were expecting a good fight when Xykon entered the throne room and found a bunch of paladins waiting for him. Instead we got a bouncy ball. I didn't enjoy the comic, other people didn't enjoy the comic, a lot of people did enjoy the comic. Different strokes, let it die.
Not only funny, but ridiculously cool. Any DM that doesn't reward this sort of hilariously awesome creativity wouldn't be one I'd want running my campaign. That's why I liked the ball; it was one of those moments where the DM looks at the player who thought it up, cocks a brow, and says "son of a bitch, I never thought of that. Probably against the rules but what the hell, I'll allow it."

And any rules lawyers who object get a castle dropped on their head.

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 9, 2007