Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
I think the really important strips here are 405 and the one right after it, where Hinjo and Miko overhear Shojo talking about all the rules he had to break in order to get the Order of the Stick to do one of the things that the paladins were sworn to never let happen in the first plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Ferrinus posted:

It's a convenient label, but it can't be a convenient label for the sum total of your past actions. Otherwise we have the silly Neverwinter Nights system where I remain Neutral by donating to charity on odd-numbered days and raping and murdering on even-numbered days.
No, you don't. You're setting up a false dillemma. Just because it's a convenient label doesn't mean it has to be poorly applied.

quote:

A variant D&D ruleset where you have to explicitly earn any alignment beyond "true neutral" by adhering to stringent codes of behavior (and get cool bonuses for it and maybe Paladin becomes a hard-to-qualify-for and powerful prestige class) would be fun, but it's not how the game works now. You don't build up an alignment, you declare it.
And you also have to embody it, or it changes.

quote:

Oh, certainly. There are strong guidelines in D&d for what constitutes Good and what doesn't (altruistic self-sacrifice concern for the dignity of sentient beings, yadda yadda) and it's up to the DM whether a given set of motivations or plans of action fall within it. For instance, I wouldn't call a ruler who just slaughters everyone infected with a certain disease in order to prevent it from spreading further Good in D&D terms, even though he would certainly describe his actions as being for "the common good".
Well then your original claim is not valid: Saying you're good does not make you good.

quote:

But, if Miko's crazy delusions were true, her actions would still fall within the Lawful Good alignment as it seems to work in Order of the Stick.
Actually, no. Even if she was right, she's being reckless, muderously so, and wrathful, and that's not good. Because after all, mortals are fallable so for a mortal to be good, they must recognise their own falability, at least as far as not murdering their monarch on the crest of a war in a fit of pique and then trying to kill their heir and fellow paldin for attempting to talk you down.

quote:

After all, it's not like she wasn't a bloodthirsty slayer of men before she met the Order, and she still happily maintained Paladin status.
Yes but she never should have been a paladin in the first place and it's not D&D's fault that Burlew set her up for a fall. Even if we assume she was marginal LG all these years and levels, she clearly passed the point of no (easy) return in those strips where she falls.

quote:

She fell for the same reason that a paladin who kills a bunch of imps who turn out to have been glamered children would fall from grace - the unknowing commitment of an inarguably evil act.
No. She fell for the opposite reason, that being she juged evil where there was no evidence of it, as opposed to juging evil where there is (false) evidence of it. BTW paladins don't fall if that are mislead in that fashion anyway. Paladins must knowingly and willingly commit an evil act. Unless they acted rashly they are not blame.

quote:

It's just occurred to me though that in the strip directly following that one, she appeared ready and willing to kill Hinjo before Roy smashed her into a wall. This kind of puts a dent in my position. I guess I could say she was just really angry and not thinking clearly...?
No, she's loving evil! She's off the rails.

She wasn't even toppling a ruler she felt was a threat, she was just killing whoever got in her way after she flipped the gently caress out. That was the whole point of the scene with Hinjo, he was giving her a chance to redeem herself, to step back from the precipice, and she threw it back in his face because she was to proud and fearful to accept her error.

And in turn Hiro says "yep, you're loving done!" because she is.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Ferrinus, if Happy Elf and I are in complete agreement than it clearly means you're totally wrong.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Efreet saiid posted:

No, you don't. You're setting up a false dillemma. Just because it's a convenient label doesn't mean it has to be poorly applied.

That's not a "poor application", it's a demonstration of why making alignment literally consist of a summary of your past actions doesn't work. The slightly less extreme example is one I've already brought up - the murderous psychopath whose alignment is True Neutral because he's been locked up in jail his whole life and unable to actually kill anyone.

quote:

Well then your original claim is not valid: Saying you're good does not make you good.

I mean that saying (honestly) out-of-character that you are Good by D&D standards makes your character Good. There's a difference between "My character is willing to torture and murder but tells himself that it's for the common good" and "My character is actually, honestly committed to saving the lives of good people but is extremely hot-tempered and doesn't often stop to think before drawing a weapon". If a character ostensibly works towards upholding the law and protecting innocents from harm at a personal cost, they are Good, even if greivous psychological flaws stand in the way of their accomplishing this!

quote:

No. She fell for the opposite reason, that being she juged evil where there was no evidence of it, as opposed to juging evil where there is (false) evidence of it. BTW paladins don't fall if that are mislead in that fashion anyway. Paladins must knowingly and willingly commit an evil act. Unless they acted rashly they are not blame.

Wait, you're right, Paladins can't fall for acting on incorrect information. But, Miko had just heard Shojo describe the lengths he had gone to to break the big important Sapphire Guard oath thing and spy on the other gates and fake the Order's trial. She executed him because she thought that simply jailing him would be pointless since the entire legal system was obviously corrupt to start with, and she's definitely gotten away with overly-zealous and not-carefully-judged executions before. I had figured that she had previously just been lucky and/or supported by technicalities ("Hey, those two bandits were beginning to attack me, I was totally justified in eviscerating them instantly and mercilessly") but Shojo represented her first serious blunder re: murdering someone who neither had the Evil alignment or was even any kind of immediate threat. But since she has to willingly and knowingly do evil in order to lose her powers, we can pretty neatly assume that her monologue about everyone being servants of Xykon was pretty much ad hoc bullshit.

The thing is, what about situations like a Good character finding his best friend in bed with his wife and killing them both in a fit of rage? It's definitely an evil act, but it doesn't mean an alignment change. Wouldn't someone whose chief priorities are obeying the law and defending the good against evil be Lawful Good, even if there's an unambiguously Evil act in their past that they refuse to repent about? Heck, even Miko was willing to put her insane and dishonestly-justified vendetta against the Order of the Stick on hold when saw that Azure City and the throne room were in danger.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Efreet saiid posted:

But mistakenly advancing the plans of evildoers does not make you evil. If I try to cut the bad guy's head off and I critical-fumble and cut my own head off, does that mean that I go through an alignment change in the last two seconds of my life?

quote:

Actually, no. Even if she was right, she's being reckless, muderously so, and wrathful, and that's not good.
Why not? This is D&D. You should be making the argument that "reckless" and "murderous" aren't lawful, but there's nothing inherently not-Good about those behaviors (in the D&D-alignment sense of Good, that is.) Barbarians are invariably reckless and often murderous, but they aren't required to be Evil.

quote:

Because after all, mortals are fallable...
You know, I think I see the fundamental problem here.

You're applying real-world gray-area moralistic reasoning to the "Dungeons & Dragons" Alignment system. I'm surprised that you haven't yet learned that this never has a satisfactory result.

quote:

...so for a mortal to be good, they must recognise their own falability, at least as far as not murdering their monarch on the crest of a war in a fit of pique and then trying to kill their heir and fellow paldin for attempting to talk you down.
See, that's what the whole Fallen thing is about! In the D&D world, there is an objective system of morality. If a Paladin does something Evil, they Fall. This doesn't necessarily mean that they also change alignment. Changing alignments is a long-term process that involves repeated actions; it takes something really drastic to instantly change your alignment. And, as we've pointed out, Mike's conclusion re: Shojo could easily be justified as Lawful Good behavior, even though it didn't have the results that a Lawful Good character might intend. (Similar to what Ferrinus just said.)

So, really, Miko didn't Fall because she misinterpreted what Shojo said and attacked him; she Fell because she killed a defenseless old man who had confessed to his crimes! If she'd just knocked him out instead of wasting him, she would not have Fallen.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 6, 2007

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Ferrinus posted:

That's not a "poor application", it's a demonstration of why making alignment literally consist of a summary of your past actions doesn't work.
No, it does, it just has to be weighted differently and have a bunch of caveats and as noted, motives and such also play a role.

quote:

The slightly less extreme example is one I've already brought up - the murderous psychopath whose alignment is True Neutral because he's been locked up in jail his whole life and unable to actually kill anyone.
Somebody doesn't have to be active to have intentions and a behaviour, wich are distinct from what they may cliam them to be or even have themself deluded into thinking they are.

quote:

I mean that saying (honestly) out-of-character that you are Good by D&D standards makes your character Good. There's a difference between "My character is willing to torture and murder but tells himself that it's for the common good" and "My character is actually, honestly committed to saving the lives of good people but is extremely hot-tempered and doesn't often stop to think before drawing a weapon".
Um, neither of those are good if they result in a high body count. Maybe the latter is marginally chaotic good at best, more likely neutral or even evil.

quote:

If a character ostensibly works towards upholding the law and protecting innocents from harm at a personal cost, they are Good, even if greivous psychological flaws stand in the way of their accomplishing this!
Wrong. Those grevious flaws have an impact. You're basically saying "somebody who is good, only they're not, is still good". Likewise, a LE character can be honeable, even just, uphold the law and work for the common good and everything. But they're not the guy you want to talk about the "spirit of the law" when your buddies are for the gallows based on a technicality, and they're not the guy you want to take into an enemy city to do a 'peacekeeping' patrol.

quote:

Wait, you're right, Paladins can't fall for acting on incorrect information.
But they CAN fall if they make ludicroulsy poor assumptions that convenielty fit their ego and wrath issues.

quote:

But, Miko had just heard Shojo describe the lengths he had gone to to break the big important Sapphire Guard oath thing and spy on the other gates and fake the Order's trial. She executed him because she thought that simply jailing him would be pointless since the entire legal system was obviously corrupt to start with, and she's definitely gotten away with overly-zealous and not-carefully-judged executions before.
Yes but if they were that bad, she shouldn't have gotten away with them before. That was Burlew's setup. And as noted, she didn't stop there, and Hinjo talking to her is the point where it is well and truly proven that nope, she ain't just misunderstood.

quote:

I had figured that she had previously just been lucky and/or supported by technicalities ("Hey, those two bandits were beginning to attack me, I was totally justified in eviscerating them instantly and mercilessly") but Shojo represented her first serious blunder re: murdering someone who neither had the Evil alignment or was even any kind of immediate threat. But since she has to willingly and knowingly do evil in order to lose her powers, we can pretty neatly assume that her monologue about everyone being servants of Xykon was pretty much ad hoc bullshit.
She lost her power because she did evil, not because she fits your previous bizzare standards of "evil only if I say I am". She did not have to willingly do evil in terms of "ha ha i am evil now", and being delusional due to pride is not a defence.

quote:

The thing is, what about situations like a Good character finding his best friend in bed with his wife and killing them both in a fit of rage? It's definitely an evil act, but it doesn't mean an alignment change.
Yes it does. A paldin who kills in that situation would fall. BOOM! Perhaps they could skirt it if the rules against adultery were nasty enough, but then again, Lord Soth probably thought similarly about his wife when misled into thinking she was cheating on him. And that just ended up loving great!

quote:

Wouldn't someone whose chief priorities are obeying the law and defending the good against evil be Lawful Good, even if there's an unambiguously Evil act in their past that they refuse to repent about?
Nope. I guess you could argue formal repentence is not that big a deal, but they would have to have changed their ways or dealt with why they performed that act. Good people feel remorse.

quote:

Heck, even Miko was willing to put her insane and dishonestly-justified vendetta against the Order of the Stick on hold when saw that Azure City and the throne room were in danger.
Yes but that doesn't make her good. The thing is, you don't have to have a good alignment to act good or to think you are. Most characters think that.

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot
I interrupt this fascinating argument to say

Cowcaster posted:

Miko's gonna murder that paralyzed guy trying to destroy the gate so hard.

but she doesn't know about the gate, right? In fact, her not knowing stuff led to a lot of problems a while ago.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Look, I think you're all working too hard at this alignment stuff. I don't think the alignment system is well-defined, so I say that if you consider her evil, then she's evil. That's that.

And by "you," I mean the reader who stands outside the game world. Ignore the moral relativity that must exist for people living in the world, must exist for Miko, must exist for villains who think themselves to be heroes. That grayness shouldn't affect alignments.

Zoolooman fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 6, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ferrinus posted:

"My character is actually, honestly committed to saving the lives of good people but is extremely hot-tempered and doesn't often stop to think before drawing a weapon". If a character ostensibly works towards upholding the law and protecting innocents from harm at a personal cost, they are Good, even if greivous psychological flaws stand in the way of their accomplishing this!

The campaign setting of Ravenloft disagrees with you.

quote:

She executed him because she thought that simply jailing him would be pointless since the entire legal system was obviously corrupt to start with, and she's definitely gotten away with overly-zealous and not-carefully-judged executions before.

Then at the very least she's not Lawful Good.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I think we're missing the forest for the trees here. Miko has clearly had a moment of religious epiphany here that nobody's recognizing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Occam posted:

I interrupt this fascinating argument to say

but she doesn't know about the gate, right? In fact, her not knowing stuff led to a lot of problems a while ago.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html , third panel from the end.

She knows about the gate.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html

What about this early appearence by Miko? Does not seem to show much respect for human life...

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

Sick_Boy posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html

What about this early appearence by Miko? Does not seem to show much respect for human life...

Come on, though, "You'll serve me or you'll die!" ? Show me the paladin who wouldn't have killed the bandit sorcerer who just attacked them shouting that. The sanctity of human life is a tricky thing in D&D, because although we try to apply our modern moral standards the setting is still tinged with the ramifications of a culture ruled by violence. You can be the most pious paladin that ever lived and kill Evil goblins all day long with no ramifications - goblins are not inherently evil and are capable of being Lawful Good if they feel like it, so it's not like they couldn't repent if you gave them the chance. Killing an Evil human in short order is really no different.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
She could have subdued them easily.
Not to mention her attitude after she killed Lord Shojo, blaming the OOTS for "tricking her into killing her lord", when they did no such thing. She knows the OOTS (save Belkar) are NOT EVIL, but she persues her revenge with bloodthirst nonetheless.
When arguing with Hinjo in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0409.html she contradicted herself several times and showed an outstanding ability to ignore all evidence against her. Then she attacked him.
Quote from that strip: "Allow me to pursue the holy plans the Gods have for me" THIS IS WHERE HER TRUE LOYATLTIES LIE: WITH HERSELF.
And this little gem: "The gods have a plan for me, I know it! I am special, the most powerful Paladin in the sapphire Guard! They wouldn't do this to ME without a reason, I just need to figure out what it is" As stated earlier: megalomaniac bitch.

Sick_Boy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 6, 2007

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

green leaf salad posted:

Come on, though, "You'll serve me or you'll die!" ? Show me the paladin who wouldn't have killed the bandit sorcerer who just attacked them shouting that. The sanctity of human life is a tricky thing in D&D, because although we try to apply our modern moral standards the setting is still tinged with the ramifications of a culture ruled by violence. You can be the most pious paladin that ever lived and kill Evil goblins all day long with no ramifications - goblins are not inherently evil and are capable of being Lawful Good if they feel like it, so it's not like they couldn't repent if you gave them the chance. Killing an Evil human in short order is really no different.

She didn't have to kill the father though. That was a little overboard. Yeah, he drew on her, but so would anyone else in that situation.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Sick_Boy posted:

She could have subdued them easily.

But why risk being pursued later when she has more pressing stuff to do and they're clearly Evil anyway? Paladins don't need to be bleeding heart samaritans, especially not out in the violent wilderness. Roy's Lawful Good, are you saying he should be considered to be going against the spirit of his alignment every time he kills a goblin without reasoning with it first?

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

green leaf salad posted:

But why risk being pursued later when she has more pressing stuff to do and they're clearly Evil anyway? Paladins don't need to be bleeding heart samaritans, especially not out in the violent wilderness. Roy's Lawful Good, are you saying he should be considered to be going against the spirit of his alignment every time he kills a goblin without reasoning with it first?
Roy's not a paladin though, there's a price for all those neat extra abilities they get and it's called ridiculously strict code of conduct.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

Ferrinus posted:

I mean, at this point in the story her belief in her being Chosen By The Gods To Dispense Justice could easily lead to her defeating or driving off Xykon and Redcloak and saving Azure City's gate.

Her being Chosen By The Gods To Dispense Justice might could also lead her into thinking Xykon and Redcloak are taking over the city for divine vengeance for being corrupted by the Order of The Stick. Who knows, the bitch is loco.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
All of the city's Paladins should know about the gate, but how many know about the pseudoghosts that act as the back-up squad?

I don't think Miko knows about them. I'm pretty sure only Hinjo, and Shojo knew, which is why Miko's going to flip out. Again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Seriously, if the next comic is about the oracle or the mystic Theurge or something I'm going to pop a gasket. I want to know if/how Miko's going to doom the world of light forever!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Efreet saiid posted:

No, it does, it just has to be weighted differently and have a bunch of caveats and as noted, motives and such also play a role.
Somebody doesn't have to be active to have intentions and a behaviour, wich are distinct from what they may cliam them to be or even have themself deluded into thinking they are.

But the chained-up psychopath doesn't have "a behavior". He sits there quietly and eats his gruel like everyone else. It doesn't stop him from being Chaotic Evil, because alignment isn't about what you do - it's about what you would do given the chance.

quote:

Um, neither of those are good if they result in a high body count. Maybe the latter is marginally chaotic good at best, more likely neutral or even evil.

They result in a high body count for bad people :3:

But really though, hot-headedness is not a feature of moral alignment. Heck, it's not even a feature of ethical alignment. It's a basic personality trait that any character can have. Good means that you are willing to make personal sacrifices to defend innocents against the depredation of monsters, not that you have good table manners and impeccable judgement.

Obviously, being a Paladin requires both that you wish to protect innocents and that you have good judgement, which is why Miko is no longer a Paladin.

quote:

She lost her power because she did evil, not because she fits your previous bizzare standards of "evil only if I say I am". She did not have to willingly do evil in terms of "ha ha i am evil now", and being delusional due to pride is not a defence.

No, I agree with you here, killing Shojo was definitely evil. But your alignment doesn't constantly change to match the last act you performed!

quote:

Yes it does. A paldin who kills in that situation would fall. BOOM!

Oh, they'd definitely fall. But they'd still be Lawful Good. A single moment of weakness doesn't change your entire alignment if it doesn't change your basic intentions!

quote:

Nope. I guess you could argue formal repentence is not that big a deal, but they would have to have changed their ways or dealt with why they performed that act. Good people feel remorse.

Well let's say the guy (he's a Ranger or something so leave the Paladin thing out of this) who killed his best friend/adulterous wife develops a huge obsession over the event and refuses to admit that he was in the wrong - but continues living as he did before as a Lawful Good character. He still donates to charity and protects villages from goblins and so on because he believes it's the right thing to do. He doesn't reconcile the wife thing with his other beliefs because he simply doesn't want to due to personal issues, even though it's obviously contradictory. What is he?

quote:

Yes but that doesn't make her good. The thing is, you don't have to have a good alignment to act good or to think you are. Most characters think that.

The point isn't that everyone thinks they're lowercase-g good. The point is that the personalities and motives of some characters are structured in such a way that they honestly want to uphold the details of the Good alignment in D&D, which means altruism and do-gooding and general civic service.

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot

maltesh posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html , third panel from the end.

She knows about the gate.

Oh! Whoops. I guess I assumed she didn't know what it was since she came so close to chopping it in half.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

But really though, hot-headedness is not a feature of moral alignment.

Chaotic Evil posted:

A chaotic evil character does whatever his greed, hatred, and lust for destruction drive him to do. He is hot-tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent, and unpredictable.

:nyoron:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, she's probably evil. Her act that made her fall from Paladinhood does not make her evil. But I think there is a definable moment in the comic where she changes alignment, and you can actually visually see it in her eyes.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0409.html

The exact moment is panel 17.

greatn fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 6, 2007

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

greatn posted:

Yeah, she's probably evil. Her act that made her fall does not make her evil. But I think there is a definable moment in the comic where she changes alignment, and you can actually visually see it in her eyes.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0409.html

The exact moment is panel 17.

Also, I think that while killing Shojo is the act which makes her fall, it is clearly the end result of a long arc of her descending further and further into delusional self absorption. As such while claiming the one act wouldn't cause her fall as part of a long standing process moving her away from lawful good it would definitely cause an alignment change, especially if you include her assault on Hinjo afterwards.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

UberJew posted:

I so totally do not want to get into an argument over this, so if someone challenges me I will instantly concede defeat. But I have actually been thinking she is/has become CHAOTIC evil, not even lawful evil. She only seems to respect supreme strength (the 12 Gods) and then you have the "hot-tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent, and unpredictable" thing. I mean, seriously; she claims to ostensibly be acting in concordance with her order's laws and ways all the time, but has she ever actually acted the same way twice in similar situations? I think she just makes everything up as she goes along, and loves to kill as many things in her path as she can.

Please let the next strip come soon so we can stop talking about this.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Quarex posted:

She only seems to respect supreme strength (the 12 Gods) and then you have the "hot-tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent, and unpredictable" thing. I mean, seriously; she claims to ostensibly be acting in concordance with her order's laws and ways all the time, but has she ever actually acted the same way twice in similar situations? I think she just makes everything up as she goes along, and loves to kill as many things in her path as she can.
I think you're on to something. How much you wanna bet that if confronted directly with her 12 gods who flat out told her she was wrong, she'd they were being tricked somehow or even weren't the holy beings she thought they were? Miko is already a law unto herself, she just wraps it up in whatever she thinks gives it legitimacy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, as I already said, anyone who considers themselves to be the ultimate law is inherently chaotic.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

greatn posted:

Yeah, as I already said, anyone who considers themselves to be the ultimate law is inherently chaotic.

And anyone who considers themselves to be the only servants of good is evil.
I think her one chosen-one mindset is her downfall. She is egoistical, has no regard for life (the bandit leader was not evil, only the daughter was; the OOTS are not evil and she knows it, etc.), belives to be superior to everyone ("I'm the best Paladin!")... EVIL.
Also, the gods agree with this analysis.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sick_Boy posted:

Also, the gods agree with this analysis.

The rest of your post is right but taking away a Paladin's powers doesn't require an alignment change and shouldn't be seen as a god's stamp of alignment change. You can break your alignment without undergoing an alignment change.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

UberJew posted:

Oh yeah chaotic evil characters are often hot-tempered therefore anyone who is hot-tempered is chaotic evil :rolleyes:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

:siren: New Strip :siren:

Oh Miko you wacky kidder you.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Aghh Miko! That was a frustrating strip. I mean... I just... Miko! Arghh! :argh:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hahaha, now I'm really confused.

I was coming around to the idea that Miko doesn't actually believe all that stuff about being the chosen one and just sort of reflexively spews it out to rationalize murdering the people that she, personally, doesn't like.

But at this point she just looks straight-up insane. What can she possibly imagine herself to be accomplishing? I seriously can't figure out how smashing the gate helps in any sense, real or imagined :psyduck:

EDIT: VVVV Oh, yeah, that works. VVVV

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 7, 2007

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I think it makes perfect miko-sense.

She lost her powers not for killing Shojo, but for failing to destroy the gate, and the gods let her out of prison to atone for that by giving her another opportunity before the gate fell into the hands of the evil lich and his minions.

Edit: I wanted to include that Soon hosed Xykon and Redcloak up and that was awesome.

farraday fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 7, 2007

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
I'll be interested in learning the explanation for this, given that Miko already knows what the Gates are and what they do.

edit: I think this is the first time I've ever actually been edit gently caress beaten.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 7, 2007

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, I remember there was some justification given at some point as to why destroying the gate made sense (obviously, since the bald paladin was just about to do exactly that). Was it not something like how it was better to destroy it than to let Xykon get his hands on it? Obviously, that would make sense with how there was no longer any need to destroy it now that Xykon was about to run off/die.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

God dammit Miko! gently caress you! Let this lay to rest any questions, that crazy oval office is evil. At this point I'm not even sure she's Lawful.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

Quarex posted:

Yeah, I remember there was some justification given at some point as to why destroying the gate made sense (obviously, since the bald paladin was just about to do exactly that). Was it not something like how it was better to destroy it than to let Xykon get his hands on it? Obviously, that would make sense with how there was no longer any need to destroy it now that Xykon was about to run off/die.

Yeah, she saw what O'chul was trying to do and finished the job. She didn't realise that Soon was actually kicking rear end and if she'd helped him out instead the Gate could safely be left intact. So she did what she thought was best, it was just poor judgement and lack of information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

green leaf salad posted:

Yeah, she saw what O'chul was trying to do and finished the job.
No; I figure we'll learn that she's doing what she thinks she was supposed to have already done.