Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Durkin sounds like John Rhys-Davies, and there's nothing you can do to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Really? I hear Scrooge McDuck.

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot
i thought he sounded like every fictional dwarf i've ever heard

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I hear Mike Myers' Scottish accent, myself. (His dad, Fat Bastard, for example.)

It probably helps that I don't remember what Papa Smurf sounds like.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

This is who I have always placed with the voices of OotS. Disagree with me all you want on this.

Lawrence Fishbourne= Roy Greenhilt
Kirsten Dunst= Haley Starshine
Andy Dick= Elan/Nale
Nick Frost= Durkon
Sam Kinnison= Belkar
James Earl Jones= Xykon [And I'm not alone on this! Rich Himself says it in Start of Darkness.]
That one boss guy from 'Office Space'= Redcloak
Ben Stein= Vaarsuvius
Matt Damon= Darkness Creature
Jet Li= Hinjo
David Carradine= Shojo/Soon
Lucy Liu= Miko
Carmen Electra= Sabine
Mike Myers= Thog

There. I think that gets all the main players off the list.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 18, 2007

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot

J.A.B.C. posted:

That one boss guy from 'Office Space'= Redcloak

whaaaat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All of those are horrible, and google is telling me there's no such person as James Earl Woods.

I mean would you cast kirsten dunst as a spunky energetic and interesting character.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
all dwarf/scot characters used to sound like Paladin from the first Wing Commander game(Tcheky Karyo what?), but now they all sound like Khelgar from Neverwinter Nights 2

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Durkon sounds like Scotty from TOS. Period. >:[

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

J.A.B.C. posted:

Andy Dick= Elan/Nale

You are not allowed to read OOTS anymore :colbert:

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Lurdiak posted:

All of those are horrible, and google is telling me there's no such person as James Earl Woods.

They're not all horrible. I think James Woods as the smarmy, too important to care sorcerer lich is pretty drat good. That is assuming he didn't mean James Earl Jones, in which case it's awful.

Andartus
Apr 13, 2005
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde
This is going to sound odd, but Xykon in my head sounds just like Tyler Durden. Something about that spunky, can-do nihilism.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Andartus posted:

This is going to sound odd, but Xykon in my head sounds just like Tyler Durden. Something about that spunky, can-do nihilism.

Xykon's not a nihilist though, he's all about absolute rule via power. And coffee.

If anyone in the series is a nihilist, it's Redcloak.

On a more serious matter: Andy Dick as Nale? I can understand that, we're not supposed to like Nale. But Elan? I like Elan. I want to keep liking Elan. Your suggestion would make that impossible. I imagine Elan as having a very heroic, booming voice, but someone also capable of doing charming and naive. I nominate Brendan Fraser until someone thinks of someone better. I have to say, having identical twins that look exactly alike, and yet have completely mirror-opposite voices would be very funny.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Weird, for me every character is voiced by Steve Buschemi.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm at Gencon and the Goblins writer AND erfworld writer are both here. They have a booth. Erfworld has postcards out with little scenes from the comic, including one with the creepy lesbian torture scene.

I briefly spoke to the goblins guy. I'll go back tomorrow. Want me to ask them any questions?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ok, as an apology to my earlier screw-up...

It was James Earl Jones, also known as the voice of Darth Vader, Mufasa, and the CNN guy. And I stand by all of my choices, so piss off. Besides, Kirsten Dunst would do a drat good Haley, and Andy Dick has the nasal quality in his voice to make his voice enough to make you want to beat him senseless. Hence, why I chose him for Elan, an awesome character who, unluckily, has those qualities that would make Roy want to strangle him.

As for Redcloak, I have no explanation for that one. Besides, I thought this was how you HEARD the characters, not how you think who would act them best.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 18, 2007

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The only one with a real voice for me is Elan, who I hear as Owen Wilson.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Lurdiak posted:

Although weirdly enough, I've always mentally heard Xykon as James Woods. I've never even considered James Earl Jones, simply because nothing Xykon has ever said has any real gravitas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

Although weirdly enough, I've always mentally heard Xykon as James Woods. I've never even considered James Earl Jones, simply because nothing Xykon has ever said has any real gravitas.

That's the hilarious thing, though. He's James Earl Jones, but he's flippant James Earl Jones. Can you imagine it?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

J.A.B.C. posted:

Ok, as an apology to my earlier screw-up...

It was James Earl Jones, also known as the voice of Darth Vader, Mufasa, and the CNN guy. And I stand by all of my choices, so piss off. Besides, Kirsten Dunst would do a drat good Haley, and Andy Dick has the nasal quality in his voice to make his voice enough to make you want to beat him senseless. Hence, why I chose him for Elan, an awesome character who, unluckily, has those qualities that would make Roy want to strangle him.

As for Redcloak, I have no explanation for that one. Besides, I thought this was how you HEARD the characters, not how you think who would act them best.

You don't know what the hell you're talking about! (Yes, I'm saying your opinion is wrong)

Elan is supposed to be annoying in the "innocent dumb little kid who doesn't shut up" kind of way, not "spastic screaming human being".

And, James Woods would be perfect for Xykon.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

MikeJF posted:

That's the hilarious thing, though. He's James Earl Jones, but he's flippant James Earl Jones. Can you imagine it?

James Earl Jones as Xykon would work if he pulls off the same sort of tone he had in that Simpsons Halloween episode where he was the haunted house and chewed them out for being horrible people at the end. That flippant tone would be perfect.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I always heard Xykon as the Grim Reaper from the LoservilleX cartoons.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Soonmot posted:

The only one with a real voice for me is Elan, who I hear as Owen Wilson.

I can totally see that. And I suppose it could work for Nale as well.

How about David Spade?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

J.A.B.C. posted:

This is who I have always placed with the voices of OotS. Disagree with me all you want on this.
:gonk:
Sorry but to me this looks like the most generic/stereotyped casting this side of a hollywood film :( Lawrence Fishburn as the black guy, Ben Stein as the smart guy, David Carradine as a wise asian guy, Mike Myers as the green oafish one, Lucy Liu as an asian martial artist... :(

Though Jet Li (who is not exactly proficient in english), Andy Dick, and Sam Kinnison all kind of boggle my mind.

I do like the idea of Matt Damon as the thing in the darkness is amusing if for no other reason than Team America and "MATT DAMON!"

Why do all of you imagine Elan with these annoying voices? He's child-like and optimistic kind of like Edward Norton in Death to Smoochy to me.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
How about John Cleese for Durkon?

Kiefer Sutherland as Belkar.

Haley? Helen Hunt, maybe.

Thog could be done by Craig Nelson.

Xykon: Why hasn't anyone suggested John DiMaggio?

And of course you get Billy West to do Redcloak.

Elan could be David Spade, and Nale could be Jason Mewes?

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 19, 2007

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

KOraithER posted:

I can totally see that. And I suppose it could work for Nale as well.

How about David Spade?

David Spade doesn't have that sort of innocent idiocy about him. Think of Owen Wilson in the Royal Tennenbaums.

But you know what? You got me thinking, now this is out on a limb, but what about David Spade for... Belkar! Think about it, instead of a sort of frenzied shouting midget, it's a bitingly sarcastic midget.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Robot Bastard posted:

I went all free-association off of that one, and now I sort of want to see John C. McGinley in full-blown Dr. Cox sarcasm barrage mode as Xykon.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy

Robot Bastard posted:

Because this is the right answer, haven't we had this discussion before?

Wanderer posted:

I went all free-association off of that one, and now I sort of want to see John C. McGinley in full-blown Dr. Cox sarcasm barrage mode as Xykon.

Though I have to say this would be hilarious, I just can't imagine it, but now that you've said it, I can't not imagine Hinjo in that voice for some reason, even if he is too altruistic for it.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Adimeadozen posted:

(re: Dr. Cox as Hinjo.)
Though I have to say this would be hilarious, I just can't imagine it, but now that you've said it, I can't not imagine Hinjo in that voice for some reason, even if he is too altruistic for it.

"Maybe you shouldn't talk about how you're going to game the system, in front of the guy who's sworn to uphold the system." Its perfect.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Panty_HaX0r posted:

Why do all of you imagine Elan with these annoying voices? He's child-like and optimistic kind of like Edward Norton in Death to Smoochy to me.

I think he's both, much like Daniel Johnston.

And Xykon is totally Skeletor, of course.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Robot Bastard posted:

Thog could be done by Craig Nelson.

Sorry, me only hear orc peon from Warcraft 2 when Thog talk.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Vicissitude posted:

Sorry, me only hear orc peon from Warcraft 2 when Thog talk.

Finally, a name with a voice I recognize! :v:

That's probably a voice I've used a lot though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Robot Bastard posted:

In seriousness, I hear Dan Castelenetta's robot devil.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

greatn posted:

In seriousness, I hear Dan Castelenetta's robot devil.

gently caress! Now I do, too! Good choice, though.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
I've actually used the Robot Devil voice in my head for a while now without realizing where it came from. Good call.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What is this Robot Devil voice?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

The Midniter posted:

What is this Robot Devil voice?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QUEIRVHlFp0

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I don't have any specific celebrity that I hear, but I've gotten good results putting in Gilbert Gottfried for Xykon. Same with Christopher Walken.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Goddamit I want an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Could this be the start of Burlew's two week or more hiatus? I can't imagine the current cliffhanger is how he wants to end the next collection, but its been quite a few days since we've seen a strip.