Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gassire posted:

If I remember right pcs have it a little different, they can retain some of their memory on a more permanent basis. Mainly because their god needs heroes to act as officers in their army. Evil is much worse, when you die no matter your alignment you end up in the NE wastes as a foot long maggot that Night Hags herd and corral to sell to the Demons and Devils to make more Demons and Devils. Neutral people are a little trickier, noone goes to Mechanus or Limbo when they die. It's determined by whether your sell fell closer to good or evil on the axis. To get an idea of the outer planes imagine a compass, the 16 cardinal points would each point to a plane.

Is this true in the forgotten realms? I remember reading some fluff about the lawful evil demons (or devils, I forget) Convincing damned souls to sign on with them for fear of what their evil gods afterlife would be.

And I vaguely remember hearing something about the followers of Masks afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The problem with discussing the AD&D afterlife is that there's what Planescape teaches you, and then there's what everything else says is true. I think the Realms does something with dead souls assembling on the murky plains of Myrkul's realm before being sent off to wherever they belong, but that was years ago, and the Realms' gods have been in a lot of flux since then.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Chem-Comando posted:

Is this true in the forgotten realms? I remember reading some fluff about the lawful evil demons (or devils, I forget) Convincing damned souls to sign on with them for fear of what their evil gods afterlife would be.

And I vaguely remember hearing something about the followers of Masks afterlife.
IIRC, Forgotten Realms afterlife planes is completely different than the Greyhawk/'Default' afterlife planes. In FF, the Devils induct newly dead LE souls into their armies for the Blood Wars against the Demons. Plus, atheist ended up being used as living building material in some sort of wall against Lovecraftian horrors in FF, but I think in Greyhawk, they just go to the plane of their alignment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wanderer posted:

The problem with discussing the AD&D afterlife is that there's what Planescape teaches you, and then there's what everything else says is true. I think the Realms does something with dead souls assembling on the murky plains of Myrkul's realm before being sent off to wherever they belong, but that was years ago, and the Realms' gods have been in a lot of flux since then.
Myrkul is dead. Kelemvor is the god of death now.

Dead souls go to wait in a fortress. Those who have no patron deity (or who forsook/were excommunicated by their deity) end up stuck in the wall of the fortress, where they eventually degenerate into unthinking ectoplasm. Eventually they get sent to the appropriate realm.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Idran posted:

Wow, they've changed the cosmology a lot since 2e Planescape. Where is this info about the new purpose of the River Styx and the lack of Limbo/Mechanus petitioners from? I didn't remember seeing that in the Manual of the Planes.

All that is from 2e Planescape, Mechanus and Limbo have no petitioners because there are no gods native to those planes. And the River Styx\Lethe stuff has always been in the fluff.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gassire posted:

All that is from 2e Planescape, Mechanus and Limbo have no petitioners because there are no gods native to those planes. And the River Styx\Lethe stuff has always been in the fluff.

Just looking through On Hallowed Ground, I count 10 gods in Limbo (including Agni and Indra) and 7 in Mechanus (including Anu and Psilofyr, the myconid god). Planes of Chaos describes Limbo's petitioners as pure chaos matter with an animate spirit that's always in the form of a single object rather than a mixture, while Mechanus has fairly unimpressive petitioners according to Planes of Law. Everything in Planescape says the Styx is just in the Lower Planes and I don't think I've seen the River Lethe mentioned anywhere; the only planar river in the Upper Planes I know of is the River Oceanus, and it only hits Elysium, the Beastlands, Arborea, and occasionally Ysgard. And it's not the Styx in Planescape that wipes a petitioner's mind, it's passing through the Astral where the minds are left behind as pure thought, where they can be contacted by Speak With Dead or the like. Petitioners are completely mindwiped as soon as they arrive on the planes.

Edit: You know, rereading this, I can't help but realize just how much of a nerd I am, heh. Ah well, sorry for the derail all.

Idran fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 13, 2007

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
drat, I admit defeat, must be the years fogging up the memory. Although I'm sure there is some mention of the Lethe in On Hallowed Ground, unless I'm mixing up my Greek mythology with faker-er mythology.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Halloween Jack posted:

Myrkul is dead. Kelemvor is the god of death now.

Dead souls go to wait in a fortress. Those who have no patron deity (or who forsook/were excommunicated by their deity) end up stuck in the wall of the fortress, where they eventually degenerate into unthinking ectoplasm. Eventually they get sent to the appropriate realm.
I thought that Kelemvor ended the wall of faithless thing and now the souls just sort of loaf around the city for all eternity. Except those that he trades to devils in exchange for them guarding the city against demons who want to steal dead people.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Volga Boatman posted:

I thought that Kelemvor ended the wall of faithless thing and now the souls just sort of loaf around the city for all eternity. Except those that he trades to devils in exchange for them guarding the city against demons who want to steal dead people.

Sometimes I really want to go find some AD&D books and read 'em, just for the crazy backstories.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Volga Boatman posted:

He did and then it hosed everything up so he decided to be a bit more objective about things overall (turning everything into the grey wastes) and re-instating the wall.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

He did and then it hosed everything up so he decided to be a bit more objective about things overall (turning everything into the grey wastes) and re-instating the wall.
Well I remember him realizing that being good isn't his job after he got placed on trial by the greater powers but I thought that he just started punishing everyone the same instead of letting good guys have fun. I might be wrong though, it's been ages since I read the Trial of Cyric the Mad.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Finally, a way to make everyone stop arguing about the infinite planes of existence!

Edit: You know, I can actually understand getting tired of sex before getting tired of food. Food is as theoretically infinite as the number of edible ingredients in the MULTIVERSE.

Then again, so is sex, in an equally disturbing train of thought.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 13, 2007

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Dammit, I'd have thought that one of the climbers would be an Azure City woman with a bunch of bandages around her middle...

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

A lot of Azure City people died recently so there's a bit of a line.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

Quarex posted:

Finally, a way to make everyone stop arguing about the infinite planes of existence!

Edit: You know, I can actually understand getting tired of sex before getting tired of food. Food is as theoretically infinite as the number of edible ingredients in the MULTIVERSE.

Then again, so is sex, in an equally disturbing train of thought.
Well depends on who you worship, if you end up in Sharess's realm then sex is all you get, but it's all good sex.

Also edit: food is one thing but what adventurer could leave life and this behind:

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue posted:

ELMINSTER’S CHOICE: This is among our more popular brews, made and shipped from Immersea. Whether its name is authorized by the old dear himself or is just a marketing ploy (the wisdom of this is questioned: any who know the old wizard knows he drinks anything this side of gorgon’s milk), this dark beer, cloudy with yeast and having a heavy head, is of standard quality. Its bitterness leaves a smoky aftertaste, and is preferred by adventurers around the Wyvernwater.
Hand keg, 14 cp; cask, 8 sp; barrel, 2 gp; butt, 7 gp; tun, 15 gp.

Volga Boatman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 14, 2007

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I really do not know that this process is still necessary. But as long as I keep somehow checking the page just when the new strip comes up, I might as well keep posting it.

Hahaha. Poor Roy. :(

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Quarex posted:

I really do not know that this process is still necessary. But as long as I keep somehow checking the page just when the new strip comes up, I might as well keep posting it.

Hahaha. Poor Roy. :(
Holy Oedipus, Batman!

I like that Burlew bothered to add that little detail in there. After all, what good is heaven if you're too old to enjoy it?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Holy crap, that was one of the best in the while. I laughed on almost every panel.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I'm definately loving these strips, but I hope we get back to the real world in the next one. I want to know how Haley and the Belkster are doing.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
So he can have one-night-stands at his mom's house, eh?
:quagmire:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

His Mom is probably still having one-night stands in her house, if she's only been dead a couple years. How awkward is that going to be?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The last two comments officially represent perfectly where this strip would be going if Order of the Stick were a hentai D&D webcomic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But stick-figure art doesn't do a good job of portraying little Japanese girls who have long legs and huge boobs and they're 18, we swear.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Quarex posted:

The last two comments officially represent perfectly where this strip would be going if Order of the Stick were a hentai D&D webcomic.

I'm fairly sure I still haven't seen any tentacles mister :mad:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Olanphonia posted:

I'm fairly sure I still haven't seen any tentacles mister :mad:

You didn't look hard enough.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

The Werle posted:

I'm definately loving these strips, but I hope we get back to the real world in the next one. I want to know how Haley and the Belkster are doing.

The joke would sure be on us if it just follow's Roy's adventures in the afterlife until he gets raised.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Rincewind posted:

The joke would sure be on us if it just follow's Roy's adventures in the afterlife until he gets raised.

It'd be even funnier if he were rezzed on say, strip 500, only to return to the world to find that the week he spent in LG Heaven was 2 years on the Prime.

He gets back, and finds a bearded, competant, hardened Elan, (minus that one patch where he can't grow hair anymore) leading a rag-tag group of rebels against Xykon's Crown-o-cratic rule, in a post-apocalytic world.

I'd still read it.

P.S. Did anyone else's spider sense tingle thanks to Roy's paranoia in the last strip? Stupid D & D even makes heaven seem like a CR equivilant trap.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Fuego Fish posted:

You didn't look hard enough.

Well played Mr. Fish, well played indeed.

Off that subject, I really enjoy this comic strip, it appeals to the incredibly nerdy side of me (I've been playing D&D since I was 7).

MathFreak
Feb 24, 2002
e^(i*Pi)=-1
"The Little Psion Who Could" was brilliant, I think. But then, I'm a huge sucker for throwaway jokes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I've always wanted to do this!
:siren:New strip is up!:siren:

Rehosted just in case:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Roy still has trouble with the "Til death do us part" bit, doesn't he?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I think he could just change this strip to Order of the Misadventrues of Roy in Heaven, and I'd be fine with it. Though OOTNORIH doesn't roll off the tongue like OOTS...

Regardless, this stuff is all gold.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

MathFreak posted:

"The Little Psion Who Could" was brilliant, I think. But then, I'm a huge sucker for throwaway jokes.

:mad:

You know it was a few years after I started using this alias that I learned it had a D&D connotation.

I figured I could just ignore it. But noooooo.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Psion posted:

:mad:

You know it was a few years after I started using this alias that I learned it had a D&D connotation.

I figured I could just ignore it. But noooooo.

That's what you get for namesearching, you gloryhound :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Werle posted:

That's what you get for namesearching, you gloryhound :colbert:

Actually I was figuring someone would have brought it up in particular, what with me posting in the OOTS thread multiple times before. But that didn't happen!

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 17, 2007

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh, this is exciting; I checked the page, and it was running really slowly! We would have greatly benefitted from someone posted the strip on imagesocket already! :(

Ah, there we go, it finally loaded.

Wow. That is a slight about-face from the hilarity that has been steady-rollin' since Roy got here. This is why this is the best webcomic.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
...oh my god. I'm getting teary eyed at stick figures.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Women's Rights? posted:

...oh my god. I'm getting teary eyed at stick figures.

You're not the only one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Quarex posted:

This is why this is the best webcomic.

I agree. Burlew writes a hilarious comic, but he does an excellent job of spinning it around and really punching you in the gut at particular moments. Which is honestly the sort of skill that takes something from 'good' to 'great'.

Do we know what incident Roy is referring to? I mean its not hard to construct some sort of idea, but specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Do we know what incident Roy is referring to? I mean its not hard to construct some sort of idea, but specifically?

I'm pretty sure this is the first time it's been mentioned, unless it was in some bonus material I don't have.