Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

ryanbruce posted:

I think the easiest implementation would be to check the "who posted" link in the forum view. Maybe SALR could keep track of the count and if it sees the OP +1 it would put a star next to it or something.

I'm not a programmer, but that would seem to be the easiest non-crawling method.

I thought the 'who posted' link didn't work for people browsing the forum with Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Revolvyerom posted:

Unfortunately I suspect that might require SALR to crawl each thread when you load the page, making it a no-can-do, but I figured it'd be good to ask. :)

True enough. It'd have to hit the who posted link for each thread visible and store the op name and store the op post count. Not going to happen.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

The Dark One posted:

I thought the 'who posted' link didn't work for people browsing the forum with Firefox.
It's because of a typo in the script, there's a greasemonkey script someone posted that fixes that. Greasemonkey lists it as "SA Forums Postcount Correction", and it works a charm for me.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Are there any plans to push out a version with all the bug fixes you've said were done already, even if there aren't new features? It's been over a month :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I recently upgraded to Vista and somehow, in the process, SALR and all of Firefox's extensions broke. They all say that they will reinstall on Firefox restarting (they don't) and even uninstalling and deleting the FF folder doesn't get rid of this problem. Anybody know why this happened?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Revolvyerom posted:

It's because of a typo in the script, there's a greasemonkey script someone posted that fixes that. Greasemonkey lists it as "SA Forums Postcount Correction", and it works a charm for me.

I'm using Firefox but not Greasemonkey and I can do this:

code:
Total Posts: 685
User	Posts
duz 	85
RedKazan 	41
hooah 	23
erebus25 	22
withak 	20
Carnivean 	17
Demented Footstool 	15
ryanbruce 	15
Disgustipated 	14
m2pt5 	13
Swilo 	12
Lollerich 	12
MyDogIsBeano 	11
kri kri 	11
poopiehead 	10

etc.
Always have been able to, too. I don't think the problem lies in Firefox, unless I'm completely misapprehending what you guys are talking about.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Komrade Hitlerstalin posted:

I'm using Firefox but not Greasemonkey and I can do this:

Always have been able to, too. I don't think the problem lies in Firefox, unless I'm completely misapprehending what you guys are talking about.
Yeah, works fine for me too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Swilo posted:

Are there any plans to push out a version with all the bug fixes you've said were done already, even if there aren't new features? It's been over a month :(

Yes, was planning on doing it sometime this week. Maybe even tonight if I don't forget.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Tain posted:

I recently upgraded to Vista and somehow, in the process, SALR and all of Firefox's extensions broke. They all say that they will reinstall on Firefox restarting (they don't) and even uninstalling and deleting the FF folder doesn't get rid of this problem. Anybody know why this happened?

Unless you're using a portable version of Firefox (I assume, I don't), extensions aren't stored in the Firefox folder itself, they are in your Windows profile's App Data folder. Not sure where that is on Vista but XP for example would be "C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(firefox profile, most likely ending in .default)\extensions". If you have trouble finding it you can search for salr.rdf on your computer, that should lead you to where SALR is stored, and thus the rest of your extensions.

Edit: Also, "Application Data" is a hidden folder.

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 15, 2007

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
In both Vista and XP, you can use the variable %appdata%

That is, type %appdata% into the address bar. From there, navigate to Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profile name]\extensions.

If my laptop running Vista is any indication, %appdata% on Vista is equivalent to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
edit: wrong thread

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 15, 2007

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Revolvyerom posted:

It works for me without additional scripts and always has :confused:

Contrabassoon
Jan 29, 2002
REALLY SHITTY POSTER
Not that this should come as much of a surprise, but SALR does nothing in the Firefox 3 beta 1 candidate (forced on with Nightly Tester Tools). I can't even get it to output error messages by turning off the suppress errors option.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
SALR has stopped highlighting when people quote me in purple. I've checked SALR settings, board settings, everything looks correct. I went to the main forum page so SALR could grab my username, and even the control panel in case it needed me to go there to get my name. I restarted Firefox after doing this, didn't help. I even disabled and enabled SALR and repeated all this and it didn't do anything.

I don't know what else to do, what happened? :smith:

EDIT: All other thread highlighting and SALR stuff seems to be functioning correctly, in case that matters.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 15, 2007

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

pik_d posted:

SALR has stopped highlighting when people quote me in purple. I've checked SALR settings, board settings, everything looks correct. I went to the main forum page so SALR could grab my username, and even the control panel in case it needed me to go there to get my name. I restarted Firefox after doing this, didn't help. I even disabled and enabled SALR and repeated all this and it didn't do anything.

I don't know what else to do, what happened? :smith:

EDIT: All other thread highlighting and SALR stuff seems to be functioning correctly, in case that matters.

Open about :config and see what extensions.salastread.username and extensions.salastread.userId are set to. If userId is set to anything other than 93073 (yours) then your quotes won't get highlighted. Either set it manually or delete both values and go back to the forum index.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

RedKazan posted:

Open about :config and see what extensions.salastread.username and extensions.salastread.userId are set to. If userId is set to anything other than 93073 (yours) then your quotes won't get highlighted. Either set it manually or delete both values and go back to the forum index.

userID was 93073, but username was "Not%20cookied%3F".

It works now, thanks. I guess what happened is that it took that value when I logged out the other day to see what forums non-regs could see, and then never re-took pik_d when I logged back in.

EDIT: Yeah. I can reproduce it by logging out again, and "Not Cookied?" is where the username is on the main forum page. Maybe SALR should always check the username when it hits the main forum page if the current value of extensions.salastread.username is "Not%20cookied%3F"?

pik_d fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 15, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

pik_d posted:

userID was 93073, but username was "Not%20cookied%3F".

It works now, thanks. I guess what happened is that it took that value when I logged out the other day to see what forums non-regs could see, and then never re-took pik_d when I logged back in.

EDIT: Yeah. I can reproduce it by logging out again, and "Not Cookied?" is where the username is on the main forum page. Maybe SALR should always check the username when it hits the main forum page if the current value of extensions.salastread.username is "Not%20cookied%3F"?

It's supposed to refresh it every time you hit the index, I'll have to double check it.

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
Every morning I open up the UserCP and MOUSE3 click every blue "go to first unread post" button in each thread I've bookmarked. How easy would it be to have one button that opens every thread with a new post, going to that new post, in a new tab in FF?

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

I think that's migrating from "interesting and useful features" to "enabling the super-lazy".

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

RedKazan posted:

I think that's migrating from "interesting and useful features" to "enabling the super-lazy".

And I say more power to the lazy peoples of the world!

I guess I could just make a greasemonkey script that does it for me...

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

foghorn posted:

If you do, could you link it here? :)

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

foghorn posted:

Actually, I asked about this feature at one point and a lot of people thought it sounded cool. I don't know that it can be done, but there was a lot of interest.

Saint Jerome
Sep 14, 2004

I will unite the Jews!

foghorn posted:

Every morning I open up the UserCP and MOUSE3 click every blue "go to first unread post" button in each thread I've bookmarked. How easy would it be to have one button that opens every thread with a new post, going to that new post, in a new tab in FF?

This would be a great feature.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Saint Jerome posted:

This would be a great feature.
Mouse buttton 3 is the middle mouse button in other words this is already a "feature".
:confused:

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Here you go you bunch of lazies. Currently the window.open() method is the only way (that I know of) to open new tabs, so you'll need to have your tab settings set up to open external links in new tabs in the same window, otherwise it's going to open a bunch of windows. It works on any page with a "forum" table (control panel, bookmarks page, and normal forum pages).

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           New Posts in New Tabs
// @description    Adds a button to open all threads with new posts in new tabs.
// @include        [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// @author         RedKazan
// ==/UserScript==

var forum = document.getElementById("forum");
if (forum)
{	
	var button = document.createElement("a");
	button.href = "#";
	button.innerHTML = "Open New Posts in New Tabs";
	button.style.cssFloat = "right";
	button.style.marginRight = "8px";
	button.addEventListener("click", NewPostsInNewTabs, false);

var where = document.evaluate("THEAD/TR/TH[contains(@class,'title')]",
			forum, null, 7, null);
	where = where.snapshotItem(0);
	if (where)
	{
		where.insertBefore(button,where.firstChild);
	}
}

function NewPostsInNewTabs(event)
{
	var eval, node, name;
	event.preventDefault();
	eval = document.evaluate("TBODY/TR/TD/DIV/A[contains(@class,'count')]",
			document.getElementById("forum"), null, 7, null);
	for (i = 0; i < eval.snapshotLength; i++)
	{
		node = eval.snapshotItem(i);
		name = node.parentNode.nextSibling.nextSibling.childNodes[1].innerHTML;
		window.open(node.href,name);
	}

return;
}

Personally I think reading threads like this is silly, if you have to close your browser or it crashes or whatever you've just marked all those threads as read for the rest of whatever page you were going to, and you'll have to manually find where you left off. But whatever, enjoy. Let me know if you have any problems.

Edit:

I should probably mention that it adds a link in the forum header in the "Title" block as seen here:

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 17, 2007

Biaxident
Sep 4, 2003

GLOCK: Explosive Firepower!
Script works like a charm. You're awesome, RedKazan.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

RedKazan posted:

tab stuff

gm_openintab is what you're looking for.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Horn posted:

I don't know much about scripting, but would you just replace the 'window.open' near the bottom with 'GM_openInTab'?
Edit: Just tried it, it works perfectly with that change. I use single window mode anyway, so it would work the same either way, but it's good to know, and I like the script. Thanks, RedKazan!

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 17, 2007

Saint Jerome
Sep 14, 2004

I will unite the Jews!

Lollerich posted:

Mouse buttton 3 is the middle mouse button in other words this is already a "feature".
:confused:

Read what I quoted again.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Horn posted:

Interesting, thanks. I guess anyone that doesn't use single-window mode can change that out. I still kind of like using window.open() though, with the extra parameter for a unique window id (I use the thread title) you can have tabs of threads you leave open constantly simply reload instead of opening whole new tabs.

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

I've looked and looked but can't find an answer, but is Original Poster highlighting supposed to be working in BYOB because it isn't for me. Modertors and Admins are still highlighted though.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

gramlock posted:

I've looked and looked but can't find an answer, but is Original Poster highlighting supposed to be working in BYOB because it isn't for me. Modertors and Admins are still highlighted though.

BYOB and FYAD have always been a little wonky, their page structures vary slightly so it's hard to stay universal. I only go in them to test features I've added so I don't notice if anything else is broken, but I'll look at it.

Edit: Looks like neither FYAD or BYOB add the "op" class to any the thread poster's elements, so you'll have to wait for Gen Admin on that one. Anything we did would be a hacky workaround and only work if you started reading from the first page.

RedKazan fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 17, 2007

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

RedKazan posted:

BYOB and FYAD have always been a little wonky, their page structures vary slightly so it's hard to stay universal. I only go in them to test features I've added so I don't notice if anything else is broken, but I'll look at it.

Edit: Looks like neither FYAD or BYOB add the "op" class to any the thread poster's elements, so you'll have to wait for Gen Admin on that one. Anything we did would be a hacky workaround and only work if you started reading from the first page.

Couldn't it grab from the "Author" column in the main BYOB/FYAD page? Unless you don't want to have to grab 40 names at once. I can see that being a bit much. Or is there some way it could grab after you click but before it loads the next page? I don't know enough about webpage coding and manipulation to know if this is just a batshit insane idea.

duz - Did you ever figure out that problem with it not grabbing my username?

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

RedKazan posted:

Here you go you bunch of lazies. Currently the window.open() method is the only way (that I know of) to open new tabs, so you'll need to have your tab settings set up to open external links in new tabs in the same window, otherwise it's going to open a bunch of windows. It works on any page with a "forum" table (control panel, bookmarks page, and normal forum pages).

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           New Posts in New Tabs
// @description    Adds a button to open all threads with new posts in new tabs.
// @include        [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// @author         RedKazan
// ==/UserScript==

var forum = document.getElementById("forum");
if (forum)
{	
	var button = document.createElement("a");
	button.href = "#";
	button.innerHTML = "Open New Posts in New Tabs";
	button.style.cssFloat = "right";
	button.style.marginRight = "8px";
	button.addEventListener("click", NewPostsInNewTabs, false);

var where = document.evaluate("THEAD/TR/TH[contains(@class,'title')]",
			forum, null, 7, null);
	where = where.snapshotItem(0);
	if (where)
	{
		where.insertBefore(button,where.firstChild);
	}
}

function NewPostsInNewTabs(event)
{
	var eval, node, name;
	event.preventDefault();
	eval = document.evaluate("TBODY/TR/TD/DIV/A[contains(@class,'count')]",
			document.getElementById("forum"), null, 7, null);
	for (i = 0; i < eval.snapshotLength; i++)
	{
		node = eval.snapshotItem(i);
		name = node.parentNode.nextSibling.nextSibling.childNodes[1].innerHTML;
		window.open(node.href,name);
	}

return;
}

Personally I think reading threads like this is silly, if you have to close your browser or it crashes or whatever you've just marked all those threads as read for the rest of whatever page you were going to, and you'll have to manually find where you left off. But whatever, enjoy. Let me know if you have any problems.

Edit:

I should probably mention that it adds a link in the forum header in the "Title" block as seen here:

Perfect. Just what I needed, works like a charm.

Can we also get this in the next SALR build? :D

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

RedKazan posted:

That's no problem, I just like to know that I've got it as good as it can be, thanks :)

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

pik_d posted:

Couldn't it grab from the "Author" column in the main BYOB/FYAD page?

Like I said, we could do a hacky workaround, but it wouldn't work 100%. For instance, being linked to a post or thread that isn't on the first page would result in not knowing who the OP was. The only way to make it work all the time would be to crawl the first page, which we aren't going to do.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

RedKazan posted:

Unless you're using Firefox, which, you know, this plugin is built for. Then when it says "Would you like to restore your crashed session?" you just choose "Sure!", and they all fire up, at that same post.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Something I've noticed, is that SALR apparently reanchors the thread to targeted post, after normal images have loaded, but after loading images parsed from links. This creates the annoying situation of the thread jumping around while those images load.

Also, I added a feature request to see about integrating my goonlink with SALR. I'd give it a try myself, but javascript is definitely not my forté.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Did you mean before it parses the links? If that's what you're getting at, I've noticed the same thing, and it's a bit annoying in a thread that has a half dozen image URL's in it.

And what the heck is a "goonlink"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash
Mar 29, 2003
What does 'Enable advanced thread filtering' in the Forums setting of the new SALR v1.99.071119 mean?

Edit: Hurr, maybe I should have just activated it and tried the forum's built-in post/thread filter. Great work as usual, devs! :)

Crash fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 19, 2007

• Locked thread