Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Erfworld updated again. Only took them 4 days; maybe they'll be back to a twice a week schedule again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I read in the Achewood thread that Achewood is TIME's number one graphic novel for 2007, so I took a look at the rest of the list and it turns out Erfworld is number six.

Obviously there's no point getting worked up over this kind of list, but this is an odd choice. The article says Erfworld updates Tuesdays and Saturdays, so all I can think of is that the person making the list stopped reading sometime before the super deformed bondage lesbians, back when it was mainly cute pun monsters.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am so torn. On the one hand, it is awesome that Achewood is getting more recognition. On the other hand, Erfworld is among the stupidest pieces of poo poo I've ever had the misfortune to read.

Reading Time's description doesn't even begin to make me understand this. I... I just...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

greatn posted:

Wow, you're kind of a dick. I've actually never read the manga, or watched the show in about ten years. It's just a random factoid I know, relevant because of the comparison of the two mediums. But sure, be a big man who takes the bold move of criticizing unpopular things, and a homophobe at the same time.

Sensitive much? Alright then, seeing as the completely absurd "quote rectification", silly smiley, and complete 180 in tone between the first and second part of my post was not enough to clue you in, I guess I'll say it outright. I was just screwing with you. Plot twist!

And Haley better have a drat good reason for not bringing Belkar on a mission which is combative in focus.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sensitive much? Alright then, seeing as the completely absurd "quote rectification", silly smiley, and complete 180 in tone between the first and second part of my post was not enough to clue you in, I guess I'll say it outright. I was just screwing with you. Plot twist!

And Haley better have a drat good reason for not bringing Belkar on a mission which is combative in focus.

He's not being sensitive, you're just an douche. And the reason she didn't bring Belkar is because he can't deal damage to anyone within a city without dying painfully.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cuchulain posted:

He's not being sensitive, you're just an douche. And the reason she didn't bring Belkar is because he can't deal damage to anyone within a city without dying painfully.

He being sensitive because DBZ sucks rear end and only faggots watch/read/care about it. Although, it did spawn Buttlord GT, so it can't be all bad.

Now this here D&D webcomic, that's something any red blooded American male can get behind!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It makes me hurt inside to think that Achewood is listed as #1 on anyone's anything. I at least accept that it has value, as its Lie-Bot strips were good, and it is occasionally funny. But it being the best anything is, to me, pushing the limits of sanity. I assume many people will disagree.

But that is neither here nor there.

Erfworld updating is the biggest surprise of the year!

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.
Are the past two pages backwards day or something? We have people raging against Achewood and DBZ for no reason aside from the fact that they really hate people liking or knowing things about things.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Kahrytes posted:

Are the past two pages backwards day or something? We have people raging against Achewood and DBZ for no reason aside from the fact that they really hate people liking or knowing things about things.

Raging is kind of extreme. I mean Achewood is great and all, but I think its pretty weird to have it as the Number ONE graphic novel of the year. It's a neat comic, but I don't even really see it in the same category as the other things they list. That's not even a criticism of its quality, its a matter of its form and style.

Also I don't think its good enough to be in the top ten, but the guy ranked Erfworld at six and somehow managed to miss OotS, which is clearly superior in just about every single way -- except art I guess, if you're sort of dense and breeze through some strips thinking 'oh huh stick figures'. Even then, Burlew is pretty incredible with what he gets out of the style.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like how erfworld is hosted ONLY at https://www.erfworld.com. Wouldn't want to give OotS any new readers by accident!

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Lurdiak posted:

I like how erfworld is hosted ONLY at https://www.erfworld.com. Wouldn't want to give OotS any new readers by accident!

Which is a site which apparantly, also doesn't exist, giving new readers to no one.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Ashcans posted:

Also I don't think its good enough to be in the top ten, but the guy ranked Erfworld at six and somehow managed to miss OotS, which is clearly superior in just about every single way -- except art I guess, if you're sort of dense and breeze through some strips thinking 'oh huh stick figures'. Even then, Burlew is pretty incredible with what he gets out of the style.

I can honestly see why: Erfworld's humor might be a bit more "accessible", being comprised largely of internet meme and pop culture reference. Many more people will understand those kinds of jokes than ones about devas and scrying. Not that OOTS is completely lost on you even if you aren't familiar with D & D, but it's not exactly your traditional fantasy adventure.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

NutShellBill posted:

Which is a site which apparantly, also doesn't exist, giving new readers to no one.

You have to take the period off the end. But it seems to just forward to the first Erfworld comic at giantintp.com anyways.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen

MizuZero posted:

I can honestly see why: Erfworld's humor might be a bit more "accessible", being comprised largely of internet meme and pop culture reference. Many more people will understand those kinds of jokes than ones about devas and scrying. Not that OOTS is completely lost on you even if you aren't familiar with D & D, but it's not exactly your traditional fantasy adventure.
Come the gently caress off it there's clearly no reason for erfworld to be in the top ten of any list anywhere.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

happyelf posted:

Come the gently caress off it there's clearly no reason for erfworld to be in the top ten of any list anywhere.

"Top ten list of things that suck" :owned:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Quarex posted:

Erfworld updating is the biggest surprise of the year!
Murphy's Law. Just when I decide to chronicle the tardiness, it stops :mad:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Am I a moron for enjoying erfworld? I just don't see the awfulness in it; it's a decent read and the artwork isn't atrocious.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

darkrabbit posted:

Am I a moron for enjoying erfworld? I just don't see the awfulness in it; it's a decent read and the artwork isn't atrocious.

Erfworld is 80% mediocre, so no, I can see you kinda liking parts. Unfortunately, the 80% is filled with aged internet memes, and the remaining 20% is pedo lesbian super deformed magical sushi bondage.

Just sayin'.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I find myself liking the dynamic where Stanley's not quite the complete evil, incompetent rear end in a top hat that we thought he was, I've always been a sucker for strategy games, and stale memes can still get a chuckle out of me every once in a while.
Plus, the guy earned a great deal of credit from me when the sound of Parson being summoned was a lightning-y "PLOT"

...then, of course, came doll-people bondage/seduction.

If I see Erfworld's updated, I read it, and don't tend to hate it. It's just kind of there, in the same way that OOTS strips like the one before this one are just kind of there- not particularly good, not particularly bad, just there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

darkrabbit posted:

People like to fixate on the one time they randomly made the stupid decision to have lesbian bondage going on. This ignores the fact that, in the larger context, this is likely still just another part of the brilliant interweaving of "fantasy" in both the "fantasy realm" sense and the "fantasies of this guy who may or may not be imagining all this" sense. If you go through it, basically every single thing in the entire world is a joke based on an archetypal fat gaming loser's life, and that is brilliant.

And "PLOT" is the best sound effect ever.

I am sorry about Murphy's Law, Halloween Jack :( If it makes you feel any better, I do not believe in Murphy's Law.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

Quarex posted:

People like to fixate on the one time they randomly made the stupid decision to have lesbian bondage going on. This ignores the fact that, in the larger context, this is likely still just another part of the brilliant interweaving of "fantasy" in both the "fantasy realm" sense and the "fantasies of this guy who may or may not be imagining all this" sense. If you go through it, basically every single thing in the entire world is a joke based on an archetypal fat gaming loser's life, and that is brilliant.

And "PLOT" is the best sound effect ever.

I am sorry about Murphy's Law, Halloween Jack :( If it makes you feel any better, I do not believe in Murphy's Law.

You may not believe in Murphy's Law, but Murphy's Law believes in you.

I think Erfworld would be better received if it continued updating regularly. The art's okay, the writing's acceptable, and I guess it would fall into the case of mediocrity 3 times a week being as good as excellence once a month.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

happyelf posted:

No poo poo; I'm just a Time Magazine apologist

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh hey, there's an update today!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0512.html

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
And a rehosted image for those who may need it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuego Fish posted:

And a rehosted image for those who may need it.

Your rehosted image is (ironically) down.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Wow. All of a sudden, I'm getting a distinctly Half-Life 2 vibe from this. Rebels, patrols, a giant tower suddenly erected in the center of the city. Where's a crowbar when you need it?

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Wow. All of a sudden, I'm getting a distinctly Half-Life 2 vibe from this. Rebels, patrols, a giant tower suddenly erected in the center of the city. Where's a crowbar when you need it?
Yeah, the voice in my head when I was reading that "copy that, tower two" was definitely HL-esque.

Also, Burlew singlehandedly justified 0th-level spells. Awesome.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?

Nomenklatura posted:

Yeah, the voice in my head when I was reading that "copy that, tower two" was definitely HL-esque.

Also, Burlew singlehandedly justified 0th-level spells. Awesome.

Not only that, but he just made me want to dust off my PHB and look to see if the rest of the 0th-level spells could be made useful. Sadly, my handbook is four states away.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Not with https://www.d20srd.org it isn't! :)

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shavnir posted:

Not with https://www.d20srd.org it isn't! :)

or to be even more specific

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.
After exploring a cave with an odd rumbling noise in it, and awaking an entire tribe of slumbering gnolls, and having a 1st level party have to run from the entire tribe of gnolls, Dancing Lights has been pretty much taken out of every game I play in, as a tradition.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I'll defend Melf's acid arrow til the end of time. Color spray can be dang handy too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Werle posted:

I'll defend Melf's acid arrow til the end of time. Color spray can be dang handy too.
Aren't those First-level spells, not 0th level?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

Aren't those First-level spells, not 0th level?

I think Melf's is a thrid level.

Altamir
Aug 8, 2007
It's all my fault!
Melf's is second, Color spray is first. Both are great spells, Color Spray is over powered as it is. Its the first "save of be screwed over" spell wizards get.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Altamir posted:

Melf's is second, Color spray is first. Both are great spells, Color Spray is over powered as it is. Its the first "save of be screwed over" spell wizards get.

Amongst the first; Charm Person and Sleep are 1st level, too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The first level spells are generally pretty solid across the board. Magic Missile doesn't do a lot of damage, but it's handy and doesn't need that ranged touch attack. Mage Armor is pretty boss at a point when you're not going to have much else to protect you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am pretty sure that one of the campaigns I played in had "ghost sound" used to devastating effect. I mean, creating the sound of four humanoids marching could be used to bluff reinforcements, which would clearly turn the tide of a very low-level battle. And then by the time you hit "create the sound of a roaring lion" level, why, you can clearly scare away anything that might be afraid of a lion! Of course, I suppose the fact that it has a save makes it troubling. Though only "if interacted with." How do you interact with a sound? Trying to make a mash-up with it?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

DaveWoo posted:

Your rehosted image is (ironically) down.

I can't really help if that happens, so there's really no point in pointing it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I guess my memory sucks, i haven't played a wizard or D&D in general for about 2 years