Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ferrinus posted:

Xykon can't turn undead, though, and he was telepathically commanding that dragon. What's funny is that actually rebuked undead are worse than the other kind - you have to take a standard action to send rebuked zombies telepathic orders, but speaking is a free action. Really, turning undead is often a crapshoot because the monster manual only vaguely relates the hit dice of an undead monster to how powerful it is. That character is probably better off using her Turn attempts to power cheesy Divine feats.

As people have said, the real problem with the mystic theurge is that while it is more versatile than either a wizard or a cleric, it is considerably weaker than a wizard or a cleric (definitely a cleric).

Turning undead is loving awesome when you are a Radiant Servant of Pelor. Or if you just have the Sun Domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
:siren: New strip! :siren:

(waffleimage'd)

Haley ain't doing too well

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"I'm a mystic theurge. I have more spells than you have hit points!"

So loving true.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

"I'm a mystic theurge. I have more spells than you have hit points!"

So loving true.

Too bad they're crippled mechanically XD

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple
Slightly off-topic, but if you like OoTS, you might like Goblins:

http://goblinscomic.com/

It's kind of the same concept as OoTS: character-driven stories in a D&D campaign world with the rules exposed. As in OoTS, the characters are fully aware of their stats and the mechanics underlying their world, but writer Tarol Hunt plays with this conceit even more than Burlew. He comes up with internally logical (but still silly) rationales for all the tropes and conventions of D&D: why goblins don't use any of the magic items in their hoard, how rangers can have species enemies without being racist (answer: they can't), why PCs are chosen to go on missions in the stead of more powerful and competent NPCs, etc.

Look past the first few strips. The series gets off to a slow start then ramps up. I should warn you the story takes some unexpected :cry: turns once it gets rolling.

End of derail. Just thought I'd mention it.

On topic, I love how Burlew draws from a wide range of game rules for OoTS. If you read the forums at his site, you'll find a lot of neckbeard gamers who'll tell you in no uncertain terms how stupid you are for even *considering* playing a Mystic Theurge, but Rich himself seems to consider everything fair game. I suspect he's a much more fluffy than crunchy DM.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I can't stand the art in Goblins, but the writing makes up for it- the author's willingness to kill off major characters when it's called for by the plot is admirable.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
I think we've talked about Goblins before; at least twice.

And it's easy to kill characters when you've got, like, nine thousand of them.

As for Mystic Theurge: I imagine that it's a lot easier to play a Mystic Theurge when the writer of the strip just lets you have whatever spell you need, as soon as you need it, whether you actually memorized it or not.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Robot Bastard posted:

I think we've talked about Goblins before; at least twice.

And it's easy to kill characters when you've got, like, nine thousand of them.

As for Mystic Theurge: I imagine that it's a lot easier to play a Mystic Theurge when the writer of the strip just lets you have whatever spell you need, as soon as you need it, whether you actually memorized it or not.

Just like NPCs in real-life D&D! :hurr:

I stopped caring about Goblins when it was obvious the guy couldn't deal with all the plotlines he had going simultaneously.

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
There are only like 2 or 3 max plot lines going on at the same time - Complains of Names/Chief/Big Ears/Thaco is one, Dies Horribly is another, and Minmax is the only other one I can think of, although we haven't seen much of them for a while.

It takes so long to update :(

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Goblins draws every D&D fantasy monster really well...except for goblins. In Goblins, goblins look like bizarre blobby alien mutants.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
:siren:
New stip up!:siren:
new strip ahoy!

I really wish I knew how to make text into a URL like the rest of the cool guys

Also soonmot, dont I know you from somewhere?
Savagel2 maybe?
Diablo 2?

Vv no I didnt play any of those.
Maybe I just know you from around the boards..
You sure you didnt play on the LIneage 2 server that was goon ran?

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 9, 2008

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

:siren:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0520.html:siren:

new strip ahoy!

I really wish I knew how to make text into a URL like the rest of the cool guys

it'll be:

[ url=http://bigmotherfuckinglink]This is my humorous text.[/ url]

EDIT: That was loving awesome.

I didn't play D2 while a goon, I don't think. SWG? City of Heroes/villians? Did you hang out in the white wolf rpg rooms on AOL back in the late 90's?

EDIT 3: Also, you forgot to close your first URL bracket.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 9, 2008

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This last strip was likely my favorite Belkar moment. I do not normally get into the "lol SO EVIL lol!" thing, but this was nice. Plus, it featured the much-desired return of the cat. I forgot who was rooting for that, but I hope you are happy!

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

There are only like 2 or 3 max plot lines going on at the same time - Complains of Names/Chief/Big Ears/Thaco is one, Dies Horribly is another, and Minmax is the only other one I can think of, although we haven't seen much of them for a while.

I honestly thought Minmax and Thorgath(?) died not long before the plotline that brought Big Ears and the crew to this city to try to rescue Gets-Tortured. But it would clearly take forever to try to find the strip I am thinking about.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Quarex posted:

I honestly thought Minmax and Thorgath(?) died not long before the plotline that brought Big Ears and the crew to this city to try to rescue Gets-Tortured. But it would clearly take forever to try to find the strip I am thinking about.

Nope, they're still around. They're just getting very little airtime right now.

One thing that helps Goblins' pacing is that there's actually a lot going on at all times, just that he doesn't bother showing it. At this moment, there's the rescue plotline and the dungeon crawl plotline that are most prominent, of course.

But on the side, there's Minmax and Thorgath trooping around. Kore is stomping through the woods somewhere. And the latest incarnation of the Drizzt clones are still wandering throughout the world.

Who knows how important the last one is, of course.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I like Goblins more when they aren't having the same fight for a year or so.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

NutShellBill posted:

Am I alone in hoping that Belkar found Mr. Scruffy? I could see him keeping the cat to commemorate the funny old man who made fun of Roy.

Good job on calling this one two pages back. I'm glad to see Mr. Scruffy back. I'm hoping the new paladin gets put on Mr. Scruffy catbox duty. As I recall cleaning the catbox was one of O-Chul's tasks. As there is only one known remaining paladin in Azure City, clearly the duty (doodie?) falls to him.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
"What bluff check?"

Loved the strip really.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I've never seen a website get hammered quite like this whenever an update gets posted.

Maybe it's just a case of not having enough bandwidth, but it's hard to believe that Burlew isn't the hottest thing on the 'Net, when you can't even access the comic for 6 hours after he updates.

Then again, maybe that's what he wants us to think. :tinfoil:

Haven't seen it yet, but yay for Mr. Scruffy! :dance:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Rehosted for your convenience.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

New Erfworld up.

I... I chuckled at it.

I think I need to lie down now.

LOLZ, ERFWOLRD SUCKS

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
I'm getting the impression that the new Erfworld is trying to reference GameFAQS, but I don't get what they're trying to say.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

KOraithER posted:

I'm getting the impression that the new Erfworld is trying to reference GameFAQS, but I don't get what they're trying to say.

Is that a Q? I thought it was a G.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

KOraithER posted:

As much as I hate when goons do this.... How prevelent is the term "ban hammer" outside SA?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Soonmot posted:

As much as I hate when goons do this.... How prevelent is the term "ban hammer" outside SA?
Based on the wikipedia entry, it looks like the term has moved out of SA, probably due to goons.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Davethulhu posted:

Based on the wikipedia entry, it looks like the term has moved out of SA, probably due to goons.

Just don't try adding in SA as originator of the term, or any kind of reference to SA whatsoever, since there's a whole culture of humourless bastards at Wikipedia who hate it when our forums get credit for, well, anything.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love Goblins, and while the goblins aren't classical looking I certainly don't think they look bad. I don't find the plots hard to follow at all, just do what I do and check every month or two for updates.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

bgaesop posted:

I love Goblins, and while the goblins aren't classical looking I certainly don't think they look bad. I don't find the plots hard to follow at all, just do what I do and check every month or two for updates.

Speaking of which, Goblins just updated. Hooray!

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
Goblins splits itself between a few storylines (really only one at a time), but I think if anything that would make it more readable in long form. A lot of webcomincs have the problem of fixing on a given set of characters for literally hundereds of strips and while that works ok for a weekly strip, I'd say reaidng it all at once in print form would be a bit monotonous.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IMJack posted:

Rehosted for your convenience.

This is great on many levels. The best, though, is the fact that a standard house cat can not only kill, but completely annihilate your standard level 1 commoner using stock D&D rules.

For those of you wondering how: It comes down to the fact that cats can do lethal damage at no penalty, and any successful attack does a minimum of one damage. And a cat gets two claws and one bite on a full attack, at a sufficient attack bonus to land its attack on a commoner far more often than not.

Your standard commoner has 2 or 3 hp. So a housecat can bring a full-sized human to 0hp (disabled) or -1 (dying) in a single round.

Of course, Tsukiko has many more hit points and probably a decent AC.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I forget, do you have to make a Concentration check every time you're hit, or just once per round if you are attacked? Because it would be hilarious if the full-attack from the cat prevented her from getting any spells off at all. I seem to recall people doing something similar with Darts, because they had a ridiculous rate of fire.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Ashcans posted:

I forget, do you have to make a Concentration check every time you're hit, or just once per round if you are attacked? Because it would be hilarious if the full-attack from the cat prevented her from getting any spells off at all. I seem to recall people doing something similar with Darts, because they had a ridiculous rate of fire.

You have to make a Concentration check if you take damage while you're casting a spell. So you have to get hit while casting a spell longer than one round, be taking continuous damage (from an ongoing fire or acid or the like), or someone has to hit you with an attack of opportunity or readied attack while you're casting a normal standard action spell. You also need to make a concentration check to cast a spell while grappled, so either the cat isn't grappling and would get an attack of opportunity in the case of a spell, or the cat is grappling and would force a check that way. Of course, in the case of an attack of opportunity, she could make an easier concentration check to avoid the AoO in the first place.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Sefer posted:

You also need to make a concentration check to cast a spell while grappled...
If D&D doesn't allow cats to Grapple, then it is seriously broken. I have two cats and Grapple is basically all they do!

I actually like this tactic better than the whole "Symbol Of Insanity on a rubber ball" fiasco. It's creative, humorous, and doesn't require you to creatively interpret any rules.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ConfusedUs posted:

This is great on many levels. The best, though, is the fact that a standard house cat can not only kill, but completely annihilate your standard level 1 commoner using stock D&D rules.

For those of you wondering how: It comes down to the fact that cats can do lethal damage at no penalty, and any successful attack does a minimum of one damage. And a cat gets two claws and one bite on a full attack, at a sufficient attack bonus to land its attack on a commoner far more often than not.

Your standard commoner has 2 or 3 hp. So a housecat can bring a full-sized human to 0hp (disabled) or -1 (dying) in a single round.

Of course, Tsukiko has many more hit points and probably a decent AC.

That's assuming that Mr. Scruffy is an unleveled housecat.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Taerkar posted:

That's assuming that Mr. Scruffy is an unleveled housecat.

Isn't Belkar a Ranger? He's got to have at least four or five levels in that now. Would it be possible for Mr. Scruffy to have become his Animal Companion? :haw:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ashcans posted:

Isn't Belkar a Ranger? He's got to have at least four or five levels in that now. Would it be possible for Mr. Scruffy to have become his Animal Companion? :haw:

Yes. In which case Tsukiko is hosed.

Robot Bastard: Cats can grapple, but they have a pretty big penalty against larger opponents. A human could pry one off most of the time if they really tried. Which is reasonable.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ashcans posted:

Belkar started as a Ranger, so aside from whatever levels he has in barbarian, he's a ranger. Probably at least 10.

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes. In which case Tsukiko is hosed.

Robot Bastard: Cats can grapple, but they have a pretty big penalty against larger opponents. A human could pry one off most of the time if they really tried. Which is reasonable.

Assuming cats are Tiny (1-2 feet long) they get a -8 to Grapple checks, and provoke an Attack of Opportunity when entering a larger creature's square. Ordinarily this would be enough to nix the Mr. Scruffy Fastball Special.

I'm assuming Belkar got initiative and threw Mr. Scruffy as his action, while Tsukiko can't make an AoO because she's flat-footed. If Mr. Scruffy also has initiative on Tsukiko, he gets an attack. It's not clear from the SRD whether his +2 size modifier offsets part of the Grapple check penalty, making it -6, or not. One might argue that he gets a circumstance bonus for the unexpected attack.

If Tsukiko has any magical protections at all beyond Mage Armor, Scruffy doesn't have much of a chance.

I can't believe I just wrote all that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Cats actually have a -12 to grapple checks, due to their strength penalty, so grappling her is unlikely to work. This assumes he has no class levels. If this counts as a surprise round, he only gets 1 attack. If it doesn't, then he can attack three times.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:siren: New strip is up!

D&D cats are totally badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Robot Bastard posted:

If D&D doesn't allow cats to Grapple, then it is seriously broken. I have two cats and Grapple is basically all they do!

I actually like this tactic better than the whole "Symbol Of Insanity on a rubber ball" fiasco. It's creative, humorous, and doesn't require you to creatively interpret any rules.
Does he actually write the strip with the mindset that this is an ongoing game he's just illustrating or is this something we just impose over all the strips since he's normally so concious of rules in most situations?

Using our ongoing game view this is basically just DM fiat. Unless it's some kind of mystical intelligent cat it doesn't make sense to be on there that long unless DM is rewarding a creative player solution by making it last that long. DM Fiat that rewards PCs for being creative is good. DM fiat that allows NPC villains to overcome unsurmountable odds just so they can look more badass is bad.