Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Z.S. Ghost posted:

It has been a while since I've posted here.

Worth mentioning that I'm going to Streetlight's Starland Ballroom (re: New Jersey) show in October, and am considering Skanksgiving depending on my schedule.
Man, they're going on tour again but aren't coming to my area? Poop. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

guppy posted:

Man, they're going on tour again but aren't coming to my area? Poop. :(

Same here. Not coming to my state, even.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm driving down from Boston to see the Starland show. It helps tremendously that I have friends in Brunswick to crash with (not that a 3 hour drive is painful in the least)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Same here. Not coming to my state, even.
Same. Well, I guess they were here like four months ago. It was awesome and I want to give them money though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I'm driving down from Boston to see the Starland show. It helps tremendously that I have friends in Brunswick to crash with (not that a 3 hour drive is painful in the least)

You think that now. But after a night of dancing and sweating and maybe some drinking, a long drive like that is painful. After seeing the Bosstones and Murphys up in Portland the drive back to Massacusetts was horrible. I was so sweaty and tired I just didn't want to drive at all.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I make that drive on a regular basis, so its nothing. Now driving down to ska weekend that would be arduous. I'm down in NYC/NJ at least one or two weekends a month

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm going to see the Aquabats in November :neckbeard:

They are going to be with Suburban Legends, which would be awesome, if they would play more of their old poo poo :argh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd go see Suburban Legends just for the Disney singalong at the end

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Dickeye posted:

I'd go see Suburban Legends just for the Disney singalong at the end

First time I saw them (back when they were good :sigh: ) they played Under The Sea. It was awesome.

They really haven't been the same since Tim left the band. I mean I like Vince and all, but that's when they started doing all of the pop/disco stuff. I liked Dance Like Nobody's Watching (except the abomination slow version of Bright Spring Morning) but I was really disappointed at Infectious. I've heard that the Let's Be Friends album is bringing back some old styles but I haven't heard it yet except for one song they played when they were with LTJ and Goldfinger, but it didn't sound bad IIRC.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm not a big fan in general. They just never really did it for me. That said, the Disney covers are amazing.
And while I'm at it, time to plug a local band. Apologies for the myspace but it's all they have right now.
http://www.myspace.com/4point0ny
Friends of mine that got together about a year ago and started playing. The stuff on the myspace is the new stuff they recorded for their first EP this summer.
I went to see them play this summer, and Johnny Tsunami, of the Flaming Tsunamis, was in the crowd. These guys do a cover of If You Really Love Me as part of their set, and afterward, he went up to the band and gushed about how great they were. It was pretty great.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Obama Yo Mama posted:

First time I saw them (back when they were good :sigh: ) they played Under The Sea. It was awesome.

They really haven't been the same since Tim left the band. I mean I like Vince and all, but that's when they started doing all of the pop/disco stuff. I liked Dance Like Nobody's Watching (except the abomination slow version of Bright Spring Morning) but I was really disappointed at Infectious. I've heard that the Let's Be Friends album is bringing back some old styles but I haven't heard it yet except for one song they played when they were with LTJ and Goldfinger, but it didn't sound bad IIRC.

I remember that too. Dancing around the stage and such. I miss the Ska Is Dead tours :(.

You really shouldn't dis the slow version of Bright Spring Morning. It's a dedication to Ryan Dallas Cook, their former trombone player who died in a hit-and-run motorcycle accident. Personally I think it sounds amazing and it's a great tribute.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Dear Sergio posted:

I miss the Ska Is Dead tours :(.

There's gonna be one in 2009. I believe Voodoo Glow Skulls are on it but who knows who else will be on it. I'm predicting Bomb the Music Industry will be on it as well but that's just me talking out of my rear end, I haven't actually heard anything about it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Update on BotAR and SM.

A few years ago, when BOTAR (Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution) released it's first (and so far only) record, there was a mention in the liner notes of a large project called "99 Songs of Revolution". This is a collection of 99 cover songs, spanning all kinds of genres, all kinds of artists. Now, a few years later, it's all going down. And here are the details. Some of them, at least.

The 99 Songs of Revolution Project will consist of 8 full length records. Two from SM, two from BOTAR, and two each from two other SM related groups. Yes, this is indeed the record that Victory mistakingly posted as coming out in Oct of 08. Not sure how they got that date, but it was never even a possibility. The first SM record for 99SOR will be out in early 2009, simultaneously with another of the 8 CDs (no, not the BOTAR one). Victory will be putting out the CDs and mp3s and Pentimento will be releasing and distributing the vinyl. We are aware of our reputation to take forever to release records and miss our self imposed deadlines, so we are not giving anyone solid dates, not even our labels. Early 09 release, that's it. We are, though, working hard on it. The demos are all but done and we head into the studio to begin tracking in October. Our upcoming tour schedule, as you know, is borderline impossible/insane, so cut us some slack.

This will be a nice way for us to get into the studio and put out some "new" music as well as tide you guys over until our next full length. It's been a project that's been on the back burner for too long, and it's time to do something about it. Stay tuned to this site as well as the Pentimento site for more info over the coming weeks. Also make sure to keep peeking in on our other sites, as we're in the middle of working on a few projects that have been dormant for way too long.

I'll probably be dead before these all come out.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

TLG James posted:

The 99 Songs of Revolution Project will consist of 8 full length records. Two from SM, two from BOTAR, and two each from two other SM related groups.

I really hope one of these isn't Catch 22.

Other than that two, two new SM + BOTAR CDs? Sign me up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
At least that half will be great
But who would the other two bands be, other than catch22 of course

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

I highly doubt it will be Catch 22.

Maybe Dan Potthast or Tomas solo album.

Even late 2009 would be awesome. I was expecting 2010 before anything.

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I highly doubt it will be Catch 22.

Maybe Dan Potthast or Tomas solo album.

Even late 2009 would be awesome. I was expecting 2010 before anything.

Let's pray to God he doesn't try out the acoustic thing again.

In all seriousness, though, this is great news. That's not to say that I'm holding my breath for the early 2009 deadline. And another BotAR album can't help but be amazing, no matter how long it takes.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

SinSalvador posted:

Let's pray to God he doesn't try out the acoustic thing again.

The Album can be called "99 Songs You Never Want To Hear Again" :haw:

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
:( I really like Thomas' acoustic sets.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I saw a video of him playing Somewhere In The Between on acoustic
The audience joined in by singing the horn parts
It was pretty good

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mix.lunar posted:

:( I really like Thomas' acoustic sets.

Would you be upset if you, nope...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jesus Christ I just watched that
Man should know his own songs

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006
Holy poo poo loving finally

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
SM-Related groups could also be any band on the Four Out Of Seven in Three Before Nine Take Five Over Easy In The Hole Over The River And Through The Woods tour (AKAs, HiFi Handgrenades, Swellers, Potthast, etc.), and it sure as hell won't be Catch 22. Potthast is probably the best guess.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

NOTE: Originally posted this in the Emo/Hardcore/Punk thread, but I think it might fit better here...

Here's an album from a local ska/punk band. (Local: Dallas/Fort Worth)

I've been blasting it for about a year now, thought you guys might dig it.

Well, some of you.

They're called Detonate, and it's called Television.

http://rapidshare.com/files/148657065/Television.rar.html

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Isn't that :filez: or is the cd free or something?

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Isn't that :filez: or is the cd free or something?

Mm, I own the CD and inside of it is a disclaimer from the band saying that it should be shared in any way possible, so I think it's legit.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Detonate's second album, Undead, is amazing as well. They're working on a full length now that they'll be releasing for free online, I'm pretty pumped for it.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Josh Wow posted:

Detonate's second album, Undead, is amazing as well. They're working on a full length now that they'll be releasing for free online, I'm pretty pumped for it.

Ahh drat, I haven't been able to find Undead. I should probably just buy it, eh?

They actually played a show here last night, but I couldn't get a ride up to Dallas. Fuckkk.

This is the first I've heard of a new full length. Awesome. I really dig them.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I found a good way to measure my showers in the morning. I put on the live version of "Suburban Rhythm" while I'm in there. If I'm showering past the rap part I'm taking too drat long.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Josh Wow posted:

Does a Ska band exist that you have not heard about?!

Hah. Hard to answer that question isn't it?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Thornes posted:

Does a Ska band exist that you have not heard about?!

Hah. Hard to answer that question isn't it?

Definitely, especially west coast bands. Hell I'd never even heard of Chase Long Beach until they played Ska Weekend this year and they've opened for Reel Big Fish on the west coast. But there aren't that many ska bands around that are really doing much, so when you play in a band in a certain area you tend to play with all the other bands that are constantly doing shows. Plus when I was in high school and college I went to go see pretty much any show that came within 4 hours of me that had decent ska bands on it, and any show within an hour that had any ska band on it even if they sucked. I mean poo poo I thought 33 West and I Voted for Kodos were pretty lame but I'll be damned if I didn't go see them when they came around.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any goons in the central New York area planning on going to Devil's Night Out or Skalloween?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I would so go to Skalloween, but sadly, I have neither a job or a car to get me there. That and I'm in the middle of Pennsylvania so that would be a bit of a drive.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Guess who's reuniting for a small East Coast tour? The Pilfers! And they're bringing Sonic Boom Six along.

Fri. 11/21 - 941 Theater - Philadelphia, PA

Sat. 11/22 - Middle East - Cambridge, MA (18+)

Sun. 11/23 - Europa - Brooklyn, NY

Wed. 11/26 - Asbury Lanes - Asbury Park, NJ

Fri. 11/28 - Billy Baloney's - Danbury, CT

Well, I'm excited.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And I think they're playing the local Skalloween this year, too, on 10/26
Apparently this is the first year since the local ska promoter started this thing that Mustard Plug hasn't played it

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

WaffleZombie posted:

Sat. 11/22 - Middle East - Cambridge, MA (18+)

I believe the Boston Jolly Pirates are playing this one too.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So is anyone here going to Chicago for Jump Up Records 15 year birthday party this weekend? Eastern Standard Time, Lord Mike's Dirty Calypsonians, Mr. Symarip, Monkey, and a bunch more over the span of 3 shows at the Bottom Lounge.

Or for the Indianapolis goons on the 17th in Broad Ripple: Deal's Gone Bad and Mustard Plug.

Holy poo poo ska music somewhat near me for a change AND I get to go to is as well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wish I could see Mustard Plug. I saw Deal's Gone Bad when they played here a while ago, and they were alright
But Mustard Plug, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Hmm, I've been looking for some more punk-ish ska, along the lines of Detonate, The Flaming Tsunamis, The Suicide Machines...but I haven't had any luck.

I picked up a Less Than Jake album on a whim, and I dig it, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Sorry, I'm new to this scene. Haha.