Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuck Everlasting
Feb 4, 2008

insomne posted:

Where do I start with Venetian Snares? Looks like the dude has like four thousand albums and I'm interested in some of his stuff or even the genre as a whole.

Absolutely start with Rossz Csillag Alatt Született whatever you do. Then I'd say any of his albums to come out in his 2005-2006 flurry of releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away

Juttman posted:

I recently fell in love with Giant Steps by John Coltrane. What should I get next?

A Love Supreme is what everyone raves about, and it is indeed an amazing album.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also get Blue Train, it's my favorite of the (five or six) Coltrane albums I've heard.

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.
To the guy who wanted to know where to start with Elvis Costello, start with Last Year's Model.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I want to get into some spanish language music mainly cos I'm learning Spanish and like music. I like acoustic stuff and obviously singers who enunciate clearly would be the most helpful, but any suggestions, regardless of genre, are welcome. What spanish/Latin American stuff do you guys listen to?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Al2001 posted:

I want to get into some spanish language music mainly cos I'm learning Spanish and like music. I like acoustic stuff and obviously singers who enunciate clearly would be the most helpful, but any suggestions, regardless of genre, are welcome. What spanish/Latin American stuff do you guys listen to?

Well, if by "acoustic stuff" you mean singer/songwriters, then the Nueva Canción movement should have a lot to offer you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nueva_cancion

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Al2001 posted:

try joan manuel serrat, I never got into it too much but from what i've heard he's spain's bob dylan

this is his most well-known song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCfUuQVUv9E

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

bovis posted:

Where should I start with Elvis Costello?

The album that 19charactersorless is thinking of is This Year's Model. Definitely pick that up in addition to his first album, My Aim Is True. From there you can go chronologically to Armed Forces and beyond.

But those first three albums are a rock 'n' roll triptych, pretty much everyone will agree that they're nearly flawless.

Cosmonauticus
Feb 5, 2007

by Peatpot

Optimum Gulps posted:

Are You Experienced?, Electric Ladyland, and Live at the Fillmore East are excellent, but honestly, I'd just get everything. It's all the best.

This man is a liar. Axis: Bold as Love.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Testiclops posted:

Absolutely start with Rossz Csillag Alatt Született whatever you do. Then I'd say any of his albums to come out in his 2005-2006 flurry of releases.

No no no. You want the Chocolate Wheelchair album to begin with - it's his most accessible and fun. After that, you can hit up Hospitality and some of the 'darker' stuff - Doll Doll Doll and Find Candace. Detrimentalist is quite decent, too, I've found.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, I've got Graduation from Kanye West, as well as his new single and Golddigger, like them alot, should I listen to his first few?

In my opinion each Kanye released has gotten worse progressively. I absolutely love The College Dropout (even the skits are good). On Late Registration there are some gems but I really stuck with the singles as the only "hits." The same with Graduation. I don't care for "Love Lockdown" much, so if his new album is in that vein, I'll probably like it the least.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, get The College Dropout.

A Loaf of Bread
Mar 19, 2008

Al2001 posted:

I have the live album "Frente a Frente" by La Trampa, a Uruguayan rock group, and I think it's pretty good. I guess they're huge in Uruguay, and I heard about them from a friend who traveled there. My favorite song by them is "Yo Se Quien Soy".

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Where should I start with Modest Mouse?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

bovis posted:

Where should I start with Modest Mouse?
The Lonesome Crowded West.

Probably their best album. However, if you don't like it you may still like their other stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HP Hovercraft posted:

The Lonesome Crowded West.

Probably their best album. However, if you don't like it you may still like their other stuff.

Either this or The Moon & Antarctica.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Either this or The Moon & Antarctica.

And after those "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank"

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I think that Moon & Antarctica is definitely the best place to start with Modest Mouse. Lonesome Crowded West is my favorite album of theirs, but Moon & Antarctica is a little calmer and easier to get into, as well as still being loving awesome. There's really no bad place to start with Modest Mouse (well, maybe Sad Sappy Sucker).

Anybody who has any good suggestions on where to start with classical music in general - I have some of the very basics, which basically means random things by Bach and Mozart, along with a few Marine Band recordings, but I don't really know where to go from here. It's a lot harder to find recommendations for classical than for other kinds of music, in my experience, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

effloresce
May 19, 2008

aliencowboy posted:

Where do I start with Vangelis?

All I've heard is the Blade Runner soundtrack and I love it.

Vangelis's stuff is really, really diverse. Blade Runner is a very specific kind of sound and album, and the rest of his stuff is the same way. None of it really sounds anything like anything else he's done. That said, get:

Oceanic - very atmospheric and layered, and very impressionistic.

Direct - one of his most complicated works, all done with synthesizer. Some of it sounds silly, but the arrangements and depth of the stuff here is worth a buy.

The City - also pretty complex, a little jazzy here and there. One of his more popular albums.

sideburns
Jan 5, 2005
This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone have any suggestions for Jacques Loussier? I heard him play Bach's 7th Symphony or something and loved it and want to hear more.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

And after those "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank"

Good News for People Who Love Bad News seems like it would be easy. My favorite by far. Lonesome Crowded west is really .. out there ?

Cashie
Aug 14, 2004
meep meep

HateTheInternet posted:

What about Buckethead?

HateTheInternet posted:

Just throwing this out there again. He's got 25 studio albums and a ton of other side projects.

Thirding Seconding this request. I'm curious...

edit: I don't read good

double edit ---> Look here

Cashie fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 22, 2008

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

Al2001 posted:

For more folk-ish stuff, check out Violeta Parra. She was a chilean singer/song-writer of the Nueva Canción movement, whose influence is still felt to this day.

If you want more rock-ish music, Soda Stereo, Fito Páez or Los Prisioneros are the way to go. I'm not a fan of the later, but they were very big here.

Personally, I'd also recommend Aterciopelados. Their combination of traditional colombian folk music with rock is really neat.

Fake edit: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=JKGXHtd8jNc Soda Stereo's En la Ciudad de la Furia. MTV Unplugged version.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Where do I start with Stereolab?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Juttman posted:

Where do I start with Stereolab?

I got introduced to them with the album Emperor Tomato Ketchup. I still find it to be the most accessible album and have gotten friends into the band this way as well. The Noise of Carpet and Slow Fast Hazel are prime examples of the diversity of their work, and show how all of it retains that same texture.

Mad Eddy
Jul 22, 2007
Hello goons.
I've been trying to figure out where I should start with Gogol Bordello and Frank Zappa.
Thanks.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Mad Eddy posted:

Hello goons.
I've been trying to figure out where I should start with Gogol Bordello and Frank Zappa.
Thanks.
Frank Zappa I can understand your asking but Gogol Bordello has only 4 albums. Get Gypsy Punks Underdog World Strike

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Mad Eddy posted:

Hello goons.
Thanks.

Gogol Bordello: pretty much any of them but I like Super Taranta a lot
Frank Zappa: ' (Apostrophe) is good because it's kind of in the middle of his funny pop stuff and his weird experimental stuff but if you're looking for primarily the former get Sheik Yerbouti, and for the latter get Burnt Weenie Sandwich & Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Calvin Camus
Apr 7, 2005

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Any luck on where to start with Bjork?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Deceiver posted:

Homogenic

Cashie
Aug 14, 2004
meep meep

ShutteredIn posted:

I think 23 is actually quite disappointing compared to Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons (their best, imo) and Misery Is a Butterfly. So yeah, either of those. Their earlier stuff is kinda hit or miss.

Thanks for the Blonde Redhead suggestions. I'd heard some of these tracks, but am well impressed by these albums!

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

etard knievel posted:

Frank Zappa: ' (Apostrophe) is good because it's kind of in the middle of his funny pop stuff and his weird experimental stuff but if you're looking for primarily the former get Sheik Yerbouti, and for the latter get Burnt Weenie Sandwich & Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Pretty much this, and I'll also mention One Size Fits All, which pairs quite nicely with Apostrophe.

An alternative approach is to get the Läther 3 CD box, which has a ton of material and serves as a great introduction to Zappa's stylistic diversity.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I have to disagree with people recommending Apostrophe (') as a starting point for Zappa, mainly because I think that Over-Nite Sensation is a better album. It's still pretty accessible and, in my opinion at least, it has better songs overall than Apostrophe (') does.

Another decent starting point would be either Freak Out! or We're Only in It for the Money, just for a good look at 60s Zappa. And for more of his instrumental stuff, Hot Rats is a great album.

Helmsman
Nov 14, 2004

BV posted:

where do I start with Jedi Mind Tricks

I would definitely recommend Violent by Design and Legacy of Blood. If you enjoy those, check out Psycho Social.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Deceiver posted:

Post.

If you don't like It's All So Quiet, don't worry, it's not the tone of the whole album. And it has Hyper Ballad, which hooked me onto her work.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Dorepoll posted:

Post.

If you don't like It's All So Quiet, don't worry, it's not the tone of the whole album. And it has Hyper Ballad, which hooked me onto her work.

Seconding this to break the tie.

448psychosis
Nov 4, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Willie The Disk posted:

Where do I start with...

Classical music?

Some good Fitzgerald scat? I have some on a tape in my car, but that's it. Or for that matter, any good scat.

Dub? I've heard the Skatalites thing for Studio One, and I rather like that.

Something glitchcore? Like, VSnares but more broken... I think that exists.

For Dub, may I suggest De Facto.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Where do I start with The Monkees?

I had heard of them before, but only that they were just a sixties pop group. I recently got Wii Music and the song Daydream Believer is on there and wow. The Monkees rock. Do I just want The Birds, the Bees, and the Monkees or is there anything else golden?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

trans fat posted:

Where do I start with The Monkees?

I had heard of them before, but only that they were just a sixties pop group. I recently got Wii Music and the song Daydream Believer is on there and wow. The Monkees rock. Do I just want The Birds, the Bees, and the Monkees or is there anything else golden?
Pretty much just get the greatest hits and you're all set.

Edit- "Best of the Monkees" is what you're looking for.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 30, 2008

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Where do I dive in with The Fall? That's one dauntingly large discography they've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Where do I dive in with The Fall? That's one dauntingly large discography they've got.

This Nation's Saving Grace is probably the most accessible actual album, but I'd recommend the compilation 50000 Fall fans Can't Be Wrong to begin with - it's an excellent summation of the first ten years or so of the band. Beware though, The Fall can get a bit addictive and as you say there's a lot of material out there.