Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've tried multiple times to run NethackDS on my Cyclo but it isn't working. When I load the game, the screens flash briefly with a strobe of multicolor bars and then both screens go white and nothing happens.

Here are the two directory settings I have tried. The first is the one I am currently using.

Root/Homebrew/NethackDS/Nethack/NetHackDS.nds

Root/Homebrew/NethackDS/NetHackDS.nds

The files were downloaded from here: http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/NetHackDS

My Cyclo is running the most current firmware.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Chinaski posted:

I've tried multiple times to run NethackDS on my Cyclo but it isn't working. When I load the game, the screens flash briefly with a strobe of multicolor bars and then both screens go white and nothing happens.

Here are the two directory settings I have tried. The first is the one I am currently using.

Root/Homebrew/NethackDS/Nethack/NetHackDS.nds

Root/Homebrew/NethackDS/NetHackDS.nds

The files were downloaded from here: http://frodo.dyn.gno.org/~brettk/NetHackDS

My Cyclo is running the most current firmware.

Any ideas?

You need to dump everything into the root. Like the instructions say, the nethack folder has to be in the root.

quote:

Installation Instructions

Simply extract the NetHackDS archive into the root of your flash card. Feel free to move the .nds file if you like, but the NetHack directory must be in the root of the flash card. You may also have to apply the appropriate DLDI patch to the NetHackDS.nds file, if your card doesn't support auto-patching.

Ara fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 31, 2009

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Ara posted:

You need to dump everything into the root. Like the instructions say, the nethack folder has to be in the root.

As I was posting my question, the thought struck me that I probably missed some obvious instructions somewhere.

It's working now and I am still retarded. Thanks!

Champinave
Jul 26, 2008

Roar posted:

That's because the DSTT rules.

Just make sure it isn't a fake.
It was the first advertised link when I typed it into google.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10289

Looks legit besides the fact that I half to wait several weeks for shipping from Hong Kong.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Champinave posted:

It was the first advertised link when I typed it into google.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10289

Looks legit besides the fact that I half to wait several weeks for shipping from Hong Kong.

Deal Extreme is a legit site, but they don't always stock legit products... if that makes sense.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
The dicewar link in the OP is dead -- try here for a version: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=31555.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 1, 2009

squid jerky
Dec 25, 2005

Despite being the life of the party, the drunken rat finds immense difficulty in balancing on a stick.

Quad posted:

How DARE you. His name is BONK. And he was the mascot for the BEST SYSTEM EVER. :colbert:

But no, I haven't been able to get my 3 in 1 working past 1.51 yet. Good luck!

Oh well, they'll suss it.

Till then

http://www.videogameshero.com/

Is better then it's comercial counterpart.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

squid jerky posted:

Oh well, they'll suss it.

Till then

http://www.videogameshero.com/

Is better then it's comercial counterpart.
I really wish you could change the control scheme of this thing. The default scheme has six buttons being used for five targets -- the fact that you can push either Right on the D-pad or the Y button as your "center" button really fucks me up sometimes.

squid jerky
Dec 25, 2005

Despite being the life of the party, the drunken rat finds immense difficulty in balancing on a stick.

Max22 posted:

I really wish you could change the control scheme of this thing. The default scheme has six buttons being used for five targets -- the fact that you can push either Right on the D-pad or the Y button as your "center" button really fucks me up sometimes.

I kind of like it using the stylus, the Guitar Hero On Tour handpiece works with it, but it's made for little hands. So not much good.

FAG
Jan 12, 2005

'Look what you made me do, look what I made for you - A Bomb!' - Jay-Z Denton
Has anyone else had any problems getting homebrew to run on their cyclods? I am running firmware version 1.5 and for some reason Readmore Alpha will not open any text files, and I can't open the browser in dsorganize. When I try to do either, it freezes the ds and I have to shutdown. Everything else I have tried works fine, including backups of games I have, so I can't figure it out. All I know is that I want to read a god damned gta 4 walkthrough without alt tabbing and the universe is hell bent on stopping me.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

FAG posted:

Has anyone else had any problems getting homebrew to run on their cyclods? I am running firmware version 1.5 and for some reason Readmore Alpha will not open any text files, and I can't open the browser in dsorganize. When I try to do either, it freezes the ds and I have to shutdown. Everything else I have tried works fine, including backups of games I have, so I can't figure it out. All I know is that I want to read a god damned gta 4 walkthrough without alt tabbing and the universe is hell bent on stopping me.

Try reformatting your card and reloading the contents. Files corrupt obnoxiously frequently. Buchanandorf posted a link to a particularly helpful formatter a few pages back which has worked for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This has probably been explained elsewhere but what exactly can moonshell do?

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

This has probably been explained elsewhere but what exactly can moonshell do?

Plays music and videos, displays images and .txt files.

That's pretty much it I guess.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I know this isn't exactly the right thread for this but it's close enough. Is there an emulator for GBA rom carts that let's you play Gameboy/GBC games? There of few games I haven't played in ages I'd like to play on my Gameboy Micro.

FAG
Jan 12, 2005

'Look what you made me do, look what I made for you - A Bomb!' - Jay-Z Denton

Ratatozsk posted:

Try reformatting your card and reloading the contents. Files corrupt obnoxiously frequently. Buchanandorf posted a link to a particularly helpful formatter a few pages back which has worked for me.

That worked perfectly, thanks heaps.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Vin posted:

I know this isn't exactly the right thread for this but it's close enough. Is there an emulator for GBA rom carts that let's you play Gameboy/GBC games? There of few games I haven't played in ages I'd like to play on my Gameboy Micro.

Yup, called LameBoy I believe. It struggles with some of the later GBC stuff in certain parts, but for the most part it works well.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

I'm a bit late on reporting it, but hey, I think a month of working is good anyway. The TTDS is just fantastic. I was really hesitant after hearing some backlash, but I don't regret it. Ys menu is a little more hassle to set up and update then I'd like, but it's worth it. I haven't thrown much homebrew at it, but what I have I've been pleasantly surprised to find out it works (NDSMail, Genesis, NES, MS/GG, and Gameboy emulators, the adventure books things, powder).

I also recently discovered it loads GBA games straight out of the menu. I was using ExpLoader until I stumbled upon that.

I dunno if the fake rate was just high or what, but I've had none of the issues people were talking about. It's been a beaut so far. :3:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yup, called LameBoy I believe. It struggles with some of the later GBC stuff in certain parts, but for the most part it works well.
There's a version of Lameboy for the DS as well. I have had very few problems with it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Skyelan posted:

I also recently discovered it loads GBA games straight out of the menu. I was using ExpLoader until I stumbled upon that.
I ordered an EZFlash 3-in-1 last week through Deal Extreme (back-ordered for two weeks :sigh:), but I'm curious about this feature of YS Menu; does it work like Exploader, only without having to load into a third-party application?

I'm curious, would it be wise to try and get YS Menu running on an R4? I'm thinking I could replace the outdated R4 firmware with something that's being actively developed.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Yeah, YSMENU loads GBA games pretty much the same way as Exploader. You can write to NOR and stuff from it too, so the only thing I can think of right now being "better" about exploader is that you can have multiple save files per game easily (I don't do this), and a few times compatability. I think it's been fixed though, can't remember having problems with any game in the last couple versions (some wouldn't save before).

Installing YSMENU on an R4 is something I'd do if I still used an R4, but it won't give you any better DS ROM launching compatability, because the R4 loader is still used to start the games. You'll get better menus and 3-in-1 support.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Karthe posted:

I ordered an EZFlash 3-in-1 last week through Deal Extreme (back-ordered for two weeks :sigh:), but I'm curious about this feature of YS Menu; does it work like Exploader, only without having to load into a third-party application?
Don't worry, your 3-in-1 won't work when it gets there (in a couple months) so you'll have a while to figure this out.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

Installing YSMENU on an R4 is something I'd do if I still used an R4, but it won't give you any better DS ROM launching compatability, because the R4 loader is still used to start the games. You'll get better menus and 3-in-1 support.
So does this mean that if I run into any games I can't run with the 1.18 R4 firmware, then YSMenu won't let me run that game either? If that's the case, I'll go back to the official R4 software.

Ara posted:

Don't worry, your 3-in-1 won't work when it gets there (in a couple months) so you'll have a while to figure this out.
Oh man, did I make a mistake by buying from DealExtreme? They were listed in the OP so I took that as a "goon-approved" endorsement :ohdear:

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Karthe posted:

Oh man, did I make a mistake by buying from DealExtreme? They were listed in the OP so I took that as a "goon-approved" endorsement :ohdear:
A lot of people were having problems with defective units from them. Hopefully if they're back-ordered that means that they've finally gotten rid of all their defective ones, so it's probably for the best that you're back-ordered.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Ara posted:

A lot of people were having problems with defective units from them. Hopefully if they're back-ordered that means that they've finally gotten rid of all their defective ones, so it's probably for the best that you're back-ordered.

I think the new problem with the 3-in-1 is that the hardware is ahead of the software, isn't it? So you may have a fully functional unit, but the software can't support it.

Axel K
Apr 15, 2007

Notebook posted:

I think the new problem with the 3-in-1 is that the hardware is ahead of the software, isn't it? So you may have a fully functional unit, but the software can't support it.

That's the situation I am in now, I got my 3-in-1 from DX about 2 weeks ago.

So there's no need for concern, you'll just have to wait until more software catches up. :)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I found my old stash of Metroid carts and blew through them in about 2 hours each (I'm surprised the old carts even worked), but I can't find my SNES console for Super Metroid. I remember the PSP emulation was pretty good on most SNES games, but things like Mario RPG made it poo poo its pants. How does the DS stack up? And what's the best SNES emulator?

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Do you happen to know where I can find the GBA version? I keep finding the DS version. I've attempted to use Goomba Color, but it doesn't save.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Notebook posted:

I found my old stash of Metroid carts and blew through them in about 2 hours each (I'm surprised the old carts even worked), but I can't find my SNES console for Super Metroid. I remember the PSP emulation was pretty good on most SNES games, but things like Mario RPG made it poo poo its pants. How does the DS stack up? And what's the best SNES emulator?

SNEmulDS is the best, but it hasn't been updated for over a year, and doesn't emulate very well. Lots of games experience slowdowns, graphical glitches or just won't work at all. My gal was playing Super Metroid on her DS last year, and had to give up when she got to a boss that was invicible. I guess you could set some layer options and poo poo, but it's not very practical or fun.

Eru
Dec 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
What is the best method for uploading save files to an official cartridge?

HoChiWaWa
Dec 16, 2004

Lock and Load, We're taking back the Wheel!

Keito posted:

SNEmulDS is the best, but it hasn't been updated for over a year, and doesn't emulate very well. Lots of games experience slowdowns, graphical glitches or just won't work at all. My gal was playing Super Metroid on her DS last year, and had to give up when she got to a boss that was invicible. I guess you could set some layer options and poo poo, but it's not very practical or fun.

not to mention even games that work pretty well have bad layering issues. I tired to run through earthbound on it and while it was completely playable your sprite stands on top of everything and i'm not sure I ever found a layer setup that worked well for both the normal world and battles. Too bad there isn't a translated Mother 1+2 rom.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Evil Vin posted:

Do you happen to know where I can find the GBA version? I keep finding the DS version. I've attempted to use Goomba Color, but it doesn't save.

There's a bit of confusion here... Lameboy originally ran on a PC and was ported to the DS. And it is possible to save with Goomba Color, it's just a pain in the rear end:

http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=6622&sid=a528b03706e68c91158091b58857ad2b

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Since we're on the subject, and I'm sure this has been discussed before--is there a reason homebrew SNES emulation has stagnated on the DS, aside from some dude stopping work on the project?

I recall someone mentioning that the DS's ARM just isn't adequately designed for emulating the SNES processor, but even if 100% compatibility is impossible you'd think they would still be able to fix things like layering issues on the games that do work. What's the deal?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

There's a bit of confusion here... Lameboy originally ran on a PC and was ported to the DS. And it is possible to save with Goomba Color, it's just a pain in the rear end:

http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=6622&sid=a528b03706e68c91158091b58857ad2b
Hold up a sec, the Gameboy Advance will play GB and GBC games normally, won't it? Why do you need an emulator?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Hamelin posted:

Hold up a sec, the Gameboy Advance will play GB and GBC games normally, won't it? Why do you need an emulator?
I think the GBA Micro can't play Gameboy games.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Eru posted:

I know there are other ways to do it now, but last time I needed to do so, I used a slot-2 flashcart (Specifically a Supercard SD) and a program called REIN.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Eru posted:

Rudolph's backup tools should be able to do that quite easily.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Keito posted:

Well, poo poo. Guess I'll go looking for my PSP.

HoChiWaWa
Dec 16, 2004

Buchanandorf posted:

Since we're on the subject, and I'm sure this has been discussed before--is there a reason homebrew SNES emulation has stagnated on the DS, aside from some dude stopping work on the project?

I recall someone mentioning that the DS's ARM just isn't adequately designed for emulating the SNES processor, but even if 100% compatibility is impossible you'd think they would still be able to fix things like layering issues on the games that do work. What's the deal?

Because the DS's 66MHz processor can't handle software emulation DS emulators basically attempt to translate data into the DS's native format. This means the disparity between the formats (specifically layering and transparency) is quite noticeable.

the PSP on the other hand has a 333mhz processor and can handle software emulation on many SNES games.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

HoChiWaWa posted:

Because the DS's 66MHz processor can't handle software emulation DS emulators basically attempt to translate data into the DS's native format. This means the disparity between the formats (specifically layering and transparency) is quite noticeable.

the PSP on the other hand has a 333mhz processor and can handle software emulation on many SNES games.

Ahh, that's very succinct, thank you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoChiWaWa
Dec 16, 2004

Buchanandorf posted:

Ahh, that's very succinct, thank you :)

I pretty much ripped it straight from a guy on DCEmu... but that guy took like 4 paragraphs to say the same thing.

• Locked thread