Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
http://www.sosimplerecords.com/ssss.php

mixing live for a couple of hours right now (and every thursday, 7pm PST)

send requests or comments to: tylertfb on AIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

tylertfb posted:

http://www.sosimplerecords.com/ssss.php

mixing live for a couple of hours right now (and every thursday, 7pm PST)

send requests or comments to: tylertfb on AIM

this was really hot, thanks

re "techno" slap fight and electronic music genres in general, i found this guide:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

It's a spatial guide that shows what genre was descended from another, what influenced what, when it came into prominence, etc., and it has audio samples for each. The descriptions are snarky and a bit lacking, though.

edit: disclaimer: i can't speak for its accuracy, someone who knows electronic music should probably check to see if its accurate

Doctor Nick fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 10, 2009

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Doctor Nick posted:

this was really hot, thanks

re "techno" slap fight and electronic music genres in general, i found this guide:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

It's a spatial guide that shows what genre was descended from another, what influenced what, when it came into prominence, etc., and it has audio samples for each. The descriptions are snarky and a bit lacking, though.

ahahahahaha ishkur.

no.

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Threatis posted:

ahahahahaha ishkur.

no.

yeah, i cant really speak to its accuracy, i don't know much about electronic music. is ishkur infamous or something?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Doctor Nick posted:

yeah, i cant really speak to its accuracy, i don't know much about electronic music. is ishkur infamous or something?

ishkur ran this snarky raver site for years that was baically his own sounding board for being a shut in retard. I met him when i was out in BC and wanted nothing more than to un-meet him.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

I haven't posted any mixes on SA in a while. Usually I play drum'n'bass, dubstep or some older nu skool & tear out breakbeats, but I've been messing around with more 4/4 lately. Here is a recent live set, recorded at a weekly in Washington, DC.

Harry Ransom - Live at I <3 BASS on March 25, 2009
Stream: site
Download: site

Tracklisting:
01. Kode9 - "Black Sun" (Hyperdub)
02. Uncle Jesse - "Hillman" (unreleased)
03. Harry Ransom - "Mighty Might" (unreleased)
04. Uncle Jesse - "Pull" (unreleased)
05. Dj Zinc - "Move (dub)" (Bingo Bass)
06. His Majesty Andre - "What (Boy 8-Bit remix)" (Cheaper Thrills)
07. Harry Ransom - "TenShun" (unreleased)
08. Designer Drugs - "Back Up In This (Nadastrom remix)" (I HEART COMIX - forthcoming)
09. Bogeyman - "Smelly" (Stormin' Productions)
10. Dubchild - "War 4x4" (Heavy Artillery)
11. Harry Ransom - "Tighten Up" (unreleased)
12. Uncle Jesse - "F-Type" (unreleased)
13. Harry Ransom - "Flexotron" (unreleased)
14. Dj Zinc feat. No Lay - "Killa Sound" (Bingo Bass)
15. Bingo Players vs. Chocolate Puma - "Touch Me (Bart B More remix)" (d:vision)
16. La Roux - "In For The Kill (Skream remix - Foamo edit)" (bootleg)
17. Harry Ransom - "Better Late" (unreleased)
18. Burial - "Archangel (Boy 8-Bit edit)" (bootleg)
19. Dave Spoon & Dj Zinc - "Ghost Train (Lee Mortimer remix)" (Televizion)
20. Nathan Vice - "Disco Noir" (unreleased)

The mix has some of my recent work in it, plus stuff by a few friends: Uncle Jesse from Baltimore, Nathan Vice from PR/NY and Nadastrom from here in DC. I played some new Tittsworth stuff as well, but it got shaved off from the recording.

--
As for the other stuff I play, most of my sets go up on https://www.expansionbroadcast.com, which I will be playing on live tonight from 7PM to 8PM Eastern, then I have to head over to open at a local drum'n'bass event at Gallery in Silver Spring, MD.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Doctor Nick posted:

ishkur's guide
This piece of crap is full of ridiculous inaccuracies and biases and I think I may in fact have already pointed it out earlier in this thread. Read its description of progressive trance for a good idea of how bad it is

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Dance Move Burglar posted:

This piece of crap is full of ridiculous inaccuracies and biases and I think I may in fact have already pointed it out earlier in this thread. Read its description of progressive trance for a good idea of how bad it is

ok, i'll disregard it

can you point to a guide that's not crap?

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Doctor Nick posted:

ok, i'll disregard it

can you point to a guide that's not crap?
There isn't really one single accepted division of genres, really, so I don't know if I really can.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

he paints prog trance as poo poo, dont see the problem here.

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Threatis posted:

he paints prog trance as poo poo, dont see the problem here.
:ssj: "Greece 2000", "Gouryella" and "Flaming June" are immune to criticism, sir.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
personally i can't stand people describing electronic music as 'techno', but that's just me.

also i don't understand why quite a lot of you guys want to play at parties and such where you have to play music you don't like. this isn't what dj'ing is about. you play what you want to play, you're not just some glorified jukebox. push your sound. playing at frat parties etc won't lead you anywhere, other than to the repair shop when some of the bros try and have a scratch or such on your gear.

hit up promoters of nights you'd like to play at with a quality promo, always go to nights where you want to play and get to know the people, say you'll play for free, send mixes to local radio stations, send mixes / apply to internet radio stations that play the kinda stuff you want to, join local electronic music forums and post mixes - lots of local promoters check these out etc etc just get your foot in the door.

doctor nick just go to somewhere like beatport.com or another site that has music for sale and click on a certain genre and preview a few tunes etc - you'll be able to get a feel for it that way

Candleshire nice mix. zodiac cartel are the business.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

archie posted:

also i don't understand why quite a lot of you guys want to play at parties and such where you have to play music you don't like. this isn't what dj'ing is about. you play what you want to play, you're not just some glorified jukebox. push your sound. playing at frat parties etc won't lead you anywhere, other than to the repair shop when some of the bros try and have a scratch or such on your gear.

ehhh sometimes you just want to rock a party and see people getting down. bad taste in music or not. I don't have this desire that often anymore but i'll play a dumb party once or twice a year and have a good time. I mean I had more fun playing disco and r&b hits at my uncle's 50th birthday party (to a packed, drunk dancefloor) last year than I did at at least 4 or 5 club gigs I did, where I played killer music, mixed well, to small, inhibited crowds.

quote:

doctor nick just go to somewhere like beatport.com or another site that has music for sale and click on a certain genre and preview a few tunes etc - you'll be able to get a feel for it that way

this is a good idea. also check out https://www.juno.co.uk

You should also trawl around discogs.com and follow links to the labels that artists you like are on, and then find similar artists, and similar labels, etc...

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
just so you know beatport et al aren't quite reliable with their genre namings

for example, "The Bass" by Sander Van Doorn was released on a few different labels, and it's listed as techno on one label, progressive trance on another, and electro house on another

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
exactly mate - that's why you have to preview a few tunes. some of the genre tagging is abysmal!

yeah that's all well and good about rocking the party tyler but you're still playing tunes you like so that's all good. nothing better than having a good time!

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
Alright here we go, I finally finished that mix, here's a much less rough version filled out to a full hour

Shiranui - Untitled #3
* Date: April 8 2009
* Genre: Melodic Goa/Melodic Psytrance
* Length: 0:58:16
* Format: 192 MP3
* File size: 80 Megabytes
* Equipment used: Mixmeister

Tracklist:
1. Son Kite - Game & Watch [Digital Structures - 2004]
2. Helios, Chromatone & Random - Burrito Envy [Geomagnetic.TV - 2007]
3. Afgin - From The Heart [Suntrip Records - 2008]
4. Plasmotek - Bubble Boy [Mandala Records - 2008]
5. Goe - Jupiter Beach (Enertopia remix) [Geomagnetic.TV - 2008]
6. Astral Projection - Nilaya (Melicia remix) [Transient / Phonokol - 2004]
7. Artifact 303 - Energy Waves (Positive mix) [Suntrip Records - 2008]
8. Astrix - Techno Widows [HOM-mega / Vision Quest / Tokyo Dance - 2004]
9. Ajja - Peripheral Visions [Synchronize Records - 2007]
10. Mumbo Jumbo - Weird, Sick and Twisted (Cosmosis mix) [Transient Records - 2002]
11. Hallucinogen - Jiggle of the Sphinx [Twisted Records - 1997]

http://soda.berkeley.edu/~rfm/Shiranui%20-%20Untitled3.mp3

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

A MIRACLE posted:

I wish more people here spun hip hop.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Here is my set from the Fox Theatre in Boulder, playing as one of the openers for Mark Farina touring for his new Mushroom Jazz CD. I played almost entirely underground hip-hop. Well, this is how a skinny white guy plays hip-hop, anyways.

The DJ before me was playing house at 120 bpm, so I worked my way back down to 95ish BPM before really settling in. I'll tell you one thing, playing this style of music on a rane rotary is tricky as gently caress :v: Don't mind the one or two slightly dodgy mixes.

http://dancemusicboard.net/music/bones-live_at_the_fox_theatre-2009-04-11.mp3

Tracklisting:
[00:00] Vincenzo - Kineo
[02:27] Thievery Corporation - Satyam Shivam Sundaram (Govinda Remix)
[06:22] Miss Kay Dee - For A Whole Night
[09:06] A Tribe Called Quest - Check The Rhime
[12:22] Kero One - Keep It Alive (Jazz Remix)
[15:03] People Under The Stairs - Youth Explosion (Instrumental + Original Mixes)
[19:37] Negghead - Gettin' So
[23:00] The Pharcyde - 4 Better Or 4 Worse (DJ Nu-Mark Remix)
[26:24] Thes One - Noonen (Original Mixes)
[30:41] Roots Manuva - Witness (Dub)
[33:46] Marco Polo - Nostalgia (feat. Masta Ace)
[37:51] Gang Starr - Full Clip
[40:44] DJ Cam - Voodoo Child (DJ Premier Remix)
[43:45] Latyrx - Lady Don't Tek No
[46:58] De La Soul - Buddy
[51:00] Osborne - Wait A Minute (Instrumental)

We had a really sick custom lighting setup on the stage, reminiscent of what Daft Punk was touring with last year. Check out the videos here (first two are of me): http://tr.im/iJDY

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hooray! ive got your downtempo stuff (12-12) and the recent one bumpin in my focus right now. haha

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Alright here we go, I finally finished that mix, here's a much less rough version filled out to a full hour

Shiranui - Untitled #3
* Date: April 8 2009
* Genre: Melodic Goa/Melodic Psytrance
* Length: 0:58:16
* Format: 192 MP3
* File size: 80 Megabytes
* Equipment used: Mixmeister

Tracklist:
1. Son Kite - Game & Watch [Digital Structures - 2004]
2. Helios, Chromatone & Random - Burrito Envy [Geomagnetic.TV - 2007]
3. Afgin - From The Heart [Suntrip Records - 2008]
4. Plasmotek - Bubble Boy [Mandala Records - 2008]
5. Goe - Jupiter Beach (Enertopia remix) [Geomagnetic.TV - 2008]
6. Astral Projection - Nilaya (Melicia remix) [Transient / Phonokol - 2004]
7. Artifact 303 - Energy Waves (Positive mix) [Suntrip Records - 2008]
8. Astrix - Techno Widows [HOM-mega / Vision Quest / Tokyo Dance - 2004]
9. Ajja - Peripheral Visions [Synchronize Records - 2007]
10. Mumbo Jumbo - Weird, Sick and Twisted (Cosmosis mix) [Transient Records - 2002]
11. Hallucinogen - Jiggle of the Sphinx [Twisted Records - 1997]

http://soda.berkeley.edu/~rfm/Shiranui%20-%20Untitled3.mp3

hell yeah downloading this

Ben and Stew fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 14, 2009

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
People already said it, but ishkur's guide is the biggest piece of poo poo ever.

Anyways:
Your best bet to figure out the genres is to just go through different sites (beatport, http://www.vinyl-distribution.nl/ , etc etc) and just go through the genres. Obviously everything isnt in the right place, but you can get a good general idea. The most important thing is to learn the major genres (In my opinion: House, techno, and trance). Once you figure out what those are over time you can figure out the sub genres. Some people will get very :rolleyes: at you if you cant figure out what the difference between house, electro house, and electro is, but as far as what is important to you [you being someone who is reading this and is a newcommer to the 'scene'] is to know what is is you're downloading (example: for mixes in this thread) and what you're getting into when you go to a club.

From there, over time you will breakdown genres into their sub/minor genres. (For example Electro House, Psy Trance, etc). And you can mix the genres (Tech House, Tech Trance, etc). And you can get :downs: and say a song is "electro-techno disco-house"

There are forms of electronic music that don't involve any of the major genres (dubstep). Personally, I would argue that 'indie dance/blog house' doesnt really fit under house and is it's own genre (wether it will die out in a few years or become 'major' is yet to be seen)

I guess to answer your question in a simpler (summary of above) form: Here is a basic 'guide' (or a "what do to do learn the genres"):
1. Go to beatport
2. Listen through some of the genres (my advice: House, Trance, and Techno)
3. Listen to enough that you can differentiate between them
4. Repeat 1-3 for a few different sites
5. After you do all that, repeat but replace step 2 with subgenres. You can start at beatport by doing tech house, electro house, progressive house, and psy trance, but if you really want to break it down try other sides (i.e. http://www.vinyl-distribution.nl/)

There is no one website or stupid flash guide that will be able to tell you what the genre lines are.

The reason I'm recommending you start at beatport is that it is what a large majority of people use, so what they say is electro house may not be the same as some underground dj in the middle of nowhere, it is pretty close to what the average fan/dj/clubber will associate their genres.

this is only my opinion and EDM discussion/communities seem to have the biggest problems consolidating as to what is what.

It would be nice to have a guide/description that everyone could agree upon so we could add it into the OP or something (?)

edit: :downs: I see that archie already posted pretty much this

e2: I'm going to compile what everyone has to say on this and put it in the OP since the question as to what genre is what comes up all the time

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 14, 2009

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

jonmitz posted:

People already said it, but ishkur's guide is the biggest piece of poo poo ever.

Anyways:
Your best bet to figure out the genres is to just go through different sites (beatport, http://www.vinyl-distribution.nl/ , etc etc) and just go through the genres. Obviously everything isnt in the right place, but you can get a good general idea. The most important thing is to learn the major genres (In my opinion: House, techno, and trance). Once you figure out what those are over time you can figure out the sub genres. Some people will get very :rolleyes: at you if you cant figure out what the difference between house, electro house, and electro is, but as far as what is important to you [you being someone who is reading this and is a newcommer to the 'scene'] is to know what is is you're downloading (example: for mixes in this thread) and what you're getting into when you go to a club.

From there, over time you will breakdown genres into their sub/minor genres. (For example Electro House, Psy Trance, etc). And you can mix the genres (Tech House, Tech Trance, etc). And you can get :downs: and say a song is "electro-techno disco-house"

There are forms of electronic music that don't involve any of the major genres (dubstep). Personally, I would argue that 'indie dance/blog house' doesnt really fit under house and is it's own genre (wether it will die out in a few years or become 'major' is yet to be seen)

I guess to answer your question in a simpler (summary of above) form: Here is a basic 'guide' (or a "what do to do learn the genres"):
1. Go to beatport
2. Listen through some of the genres (my advice: House, Trance, and Techno)
3. Listen to enough that you can differentiate between them
4. Repeat 1-3 for a few different sites
5. After you do all that, repeat but replace step 2 with subgenres. You can start at beatport by doing tech house, electro house, progressive house, and psy trance, but if you really want to break it down try other sides (i.e. http://www.vinyl-distribution.nl/)

There is no one website or stupid flash guide that will be able to tell you what the genre lines are.

The reason I'm recommending you start at beatport is that it is what a large majority of people use, so what they say is electro house may not be the same as some underground dj in the middle of nowhere, it is pretty close to what the average fan/dj/clubber will associate their genres.

this is only my opinion and EDM discussion/communities seem to have the biggest problems consolidating as to what is what.

It would be nice to have a guide/description that everyone could agree upon so we could add it into the OP or something (?)

edit: :downs: I see that archie already posted pretty much this

e2: I'm going to compile what everyone has to say on this and put it in the OP since the question as to what genre is what comes up all the time

orrrr you could just listen to what you like, get a feel for the specific sound that appeals to you from whats out there, and ask questions about other genres.

or take a month and do it the jonmitz way!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
speaking of beatport: If I add a track to my basket when it's brand new and at the higher brand new price ($2.99 or whatever) and then leave it in there for a month or so until the price drops to the normal price, will it automatically drop in my basket or do I have to re-add it to get the price-drop?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Threatis posted:

orrrr you could just listen to what you like, get a feel for the specific sound that appeals to you from whats out there, and ask questions about other genres.

He's a good man. And thorough.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Threatis posted:

This is silly. How can someone "just listen to what they like" without having any clue as to what it is they are actually listening to.

Say I were to hear a certain EDM song that I really liked, and say I would like to find more music like that song, then how would I proceed. Most obviously by looking up either a) that certain artist and delving deeper from there or b) finding out what genre that song is and continuing on from there.

I'm not saying that anyone that wants to be a DJ should know all the genres that exist out there and be able to differentiate between them within 5 seconds, but it does help to have some knowledge. For example, where I always cast minimal away as "extremely boring", I have discovered that it's basically become house anyway, and the kind of house I happen to enjoy.
For someone who's just starting in the dance music world/as a DJ browsing through some genres is a very good way to get to know certain music, and to immediately learn if he or she likes that music. This is related to the fact that most people with little knowledge on the subject beforehand will label almost anything as "house" or "techno".

I will agree with you that genres should never be at the base of one's decision to buy/play a song. If I were to come across a indie-dance song I actually liked I would not mind playing it out. However since I 99% of the time absolutely hate it, I'm not spending a lot of time on browsing it. Time that could have been spent listening to other genres I know I like better.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 14, 2009

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Rivfader posted:

This is related to the fact that most people with little knowledge on the subject beforehand will label almost anything as "house" or "techno".
I think depending on what region you're in, some people might not even know what "house" is and are more likely to call it "trance"

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

tylertfb posted:

speaking of beatport: If I add a track to my basket when it's brand new and at the higher brand new price ($2.99 or whatever) and then leave it in there for a month or so until the price drops to the normal price, will it automatically drop in my basket or do I have to re-add it to get the price-drop?

I'm pretty sure the price drop happens automatically. Same is true of stuff in your hold bin. The top-tier price is $2.49 for new, exclusive content. $1.99 for new, non-exclusive. $1.49 for general content/back catalog. Most labels that have exlcusivity have it for 4 to 8 weeks.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Rivfader posted:

This is silly. How can someone "just listen to what they like" without having any clue as to what it is they are actually listening to.

Say I were to hear a certain EDM song that I really liked, and say I would like to find more music like that song, then how would I proceed. Most obviously by looking up either a) that certain artist and delving deeper from there or b) finding out what genre that song is and continuing on from there.

I find exploring by label to be the most effective way of discovering new music I like. Lets say for example I'm just starting out and I hear this amazing track by Jimpster. If I do a bit of digging I will discover most of his stuff is on this label Freerange (which he runs), which has shittons of good music by other artists in a similar vein as well like Milton Jackson, Shur-I-Kan, etc.

I think depending on what region you're in, some people might not even know what "house" is and are more likely to call it "trance"

This is part of the reason that there is some schizophrenia about genres on Beatport. The content team they have in Berlin has a different opinon on what classifies as house versus deep house vs techno etc as compared to the American team. What Americans traditionally think of as deep house is usually the jazzy, organic type stuff on a label like Om coming out of SF. Germans think of Deep House as the more minimalist stuff on labels like Drumpoet Community. It can be difficult to reconcile.

That's why I recommend discovery by artists and labels, not so much by genres. In fact, very rarely I will I even go hit genre landing pages looking for new music as I discover plenty by branching out from stuff I already know on a weekly basis.

P.S. I'm so glad they finally were able to get rid of the 100-item cap on "My Beatport" :v:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Threatis posted:

Because learning about EDM genres, styles and labels is done in a day?

I wish you'd tone down your passive agressive poo poo, he's trying to help; you're not.

edit: also dance move burglar last half of your mix was pretty decent.

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 14, 2009

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

vanilla slimfast posted:

I find exploring by label to be the most effective way of discovering new music I like. Lets say for example I'm just starting out and I hear this amazing track by Jimpster. If I do a bit of digging I will discover most of his stuff is on this label Freerange (which he runs), which has shittons of good music by other artists in a similar vein as well like Milton Jackson, Shur-I-Kan, etc.

I do this too, best thing I ever started doing. I have multiple artists and labels on my Beatport List. It works wonders to kind of meander your way through the maze of tracks that is Beatport (or other sites). Most of my best tracks I've stumbled upon after spending hours on sites just browsing releases, EP's, labels and related artists and labels.

Sure, I have multiple artists that I always check to see if they have any new stuff, since I consider them to be good and they almost never disappoint. But I get tons more fun out of finding new stuff I'd never heard of than just getting 10 of the new Top 100 releases (good as they may be).

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Because learning about EDM genres, styles and labels is done in a day?

I wish you'd tone down your passive agressive poo poo, he's trying to help; you're not.

edit: also dance move burglar last half of your mix was pretty decent.

I'm just saying going out, grabbing mixes, and listening to them works better than jonmitz's bullshit.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Threatis posted:

I'm just saying going out, grabbing mixes, and listening to them works better than jonmitz's bullshit.

Going to have to second this.

You're going to find more music you like by listening to other mixes instead of fighting the genre war.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Threatis posted:

Why is it bullshit? Take it down a notch there, tiger. He gave some great advice, just because you disagree with his methods doesn't mean it's bullshit or that yours is better. You could have easily suggested your way without looking like a 'sperging baby.

VV :rolleyes:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 14, 2009

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Notebook posted:

Why is it bullshit? Take it down a notch there, tiger. He gave some great advice, just because you disagree with his methods doesn't mean it's bullshit or that yours is better. You could have easily suggested your way without looking like a 'sperging baby.

what are you talking about "sperging"? learn the definition of the word before you bandy it about.

Basically jonmitz rolls through these threads trying to teach everyone how to be an "industry dj", and even gets that wrong.

The way to latch on to any music is to let it come organically. you think i got to know bmore club backwards and forwards by taking a long weekend and researching it like a term paper? No. I simply let my knowledge of it grow slowly with the more that i listened to, and the better i got to know the artists.

If you go back to 1999/2000 when i first started hitting the decks, i was a ucking mess. I was bouncing all over genres, i didn't know what i was doing, and i couldn't keep a "flow" to save my life. within about a year i figured out what i was doing, and started playing straight up Gabber with some industrial/"insert-Xcore-genre-here" poo poo mixed in.

Now here we are 10 years later and I'm playing straight up club music. do you think that happened overnight by following the bullshit jonmitz system of finding one or two genres, and trying to IMMERSE yourself in it, while igoring everything else? of course not. that not only makes you a boring loving DJ in my books, it makes you a boring loving person.

You want my advise, find a bunch of blogs that post DJ mixes, or even a thread like this, follow them, download what they put up, listen to the mix, and if you like the music, congrats. it's another weapon in your crate.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was first starting out, I found a lot of my music by looking at tracklistings of mixes, especially compilations and notable radio/live broadcasts like the essential mix. If you only play stuff that other people have already been playing, it doesn't make you a terribly clever or original DJ, but if you are just starting out, it's as good as any other starting point to branch out from.

Like Threatis, my early mix tapes were comically unsmooth in terms of programming and track flow. Finding and playing good music that meshes well together is a skill you are going to learn with experience and time, more than anything else. Trying to be too intellectual about it takes some of the fun out of discovery, IMHO. It is music after all, not rocket science :v:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I came out of the womb with awesome taste and a perfect and deep knowledge of every important chicago house and detroit techno classics, I don't know what all y'alls problem is :kamina:

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 14, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
:regd07:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
you guys are all overthinking this terribly. just throw on alive 2007 and you'll have the party rocking. i do this every time i dj. every time :)

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
What is all this fighting about how to become a DJ about. If you don't love the music, don't get behind the decks. Because there are cheaper and faster ways to get laid.

If you have to go on the interwebs to find a style you like so you can start dj'ing that style, why start dj'ing it at all? There is something wrong there...
I started DJ'ing after I went to all these parties were they played techno and minimal. I totally fell in love with this music, it almost literaly took over my life. From the few names and tracks I began building my own collection, going to recordshops (both on and offline) getting to known more and more artists, more labels, talking to fellow DJ's and swapping tracks, going up to the dj-booth and ask the name of a track you really dig. With blood sweat and tears, I created a broad basic collection, from where I'm now exploring the more narrow sub-genre's, slowly but steadily creating my own sound. And that is to me what DJ'ing is about. Internet can't teach you what you like, you'll have to find out for yourself, because a dj is only as good as his collection is. You could get the hang of the technical part of dj'ing within a year, but the musical side takes years to master. It's a journey trough connecting genre's and different sounds, don't cut it short, because a stupid blog tells you what everybody else likes.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
edited this post cuz it was the gayest thing ive ever written

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
If I discover some artist in a genre I like, I look into their influences, their recommendations and their mixes. Then, learning all that music and adding it to my repertoire I try to develop my own taste within that mass of music.

• Locked thread