Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Thornes posted:

High Fives is a drat good song

impossible sir it's not a Disney cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sharon is Karen posted:

I just listened to it, shaking my head in disbelief the entire time. How the hell do you go from "Good Luck" to this? How did they not feel like loving idiots just trying to record this garbage? Surely this is a joke of some sort...
It really does seem like a sitcom episode where the main character's band gets THE BIG RECORD DEAL and their sound becomes completely different and everyone learns a valuable lesson. I mean it doesn't seem real at all. Maybe they want to tour with the Jonas Brothers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I would be cool with that as long as they took The Action along to open

Even though those guys are being dicks and refusing to play any Kingston Beat shows

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Man being on tour and running into them doesn't count jerk

Fatter Than Albert is coming in two weeks and I can't wait

I've had Erin's Runaway Imagination on repeat for the last couple days

They are going to be here July 4th...but I have to work :suicide:...drat YOU FEDEX :argh:

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
i firmly believe there's a direct correlation between the end of the joint bg d / kicked in the head halloween shows and their current descent into intolerable bullshit.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
The whole Big D thing is funny because I honestly don't think they're trying to sell out and make it big (obviously they're trying to make it big but I don't think this album was a conscious decision at trying to change their style). Usually when a ska/punk band changes their style to go big they drop the ska and throw their horns way in the background, and Big D didn't do that. They dropped all hints of punk from their music and this album probably has more horns than the last. There's not a whole lot of ska on it but there's a decent amount. I think Dave is just a weird fucker and the rest of the dudes are along for the ride. Also they have a new drummer this record so maybe their old drummer wised up and quit when he heard this new poo poo.

Honestly though Not loving Around is a killer song and I could easily see it being a top 40 hit. I don't actually think it will, but it's the kind of song that could be.

Dickeye posted:

Man being on tour and running into them doesn't count jerk

That has never happened. My band has played one show with BTMI and it was in Georgia when they lived in Georgia. I drove my rear end 4+ hours to see them on multiple occasions cause they rule.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well don't I feel like a horse's rear end

Also other dude you should call in sick and go see them

This show is gonna be good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't know that a band has to drop the horns to 'sell out' so to speak. If you're going pop nowadays, when you consider the indie pop landscape, theres a lot of horn players goin around. More to the point, though, the direction that they're going in is so bizarre that it makes them sound like a completely different band with completely different people in it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I'm just saying that in the past pretty much every ska band that tries to 'sell out' and go mainstream drops the horns and ska. That's one of the reasons I think Big D isn't trying to sell out, that they're just being weird/dumb with this record. I mean come on you know they weren't a smart band when they said they were gonna do the whole strictly dub/ska/thrash thing.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Quest For Glory II posted:

More to the point, though, the direction that they're going in is so bizarre that it makes them sound like a completely different band with completely different people in it.

Nah, they still have the singer with the mind-grating voice.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Keep in mind I still say How It Goes is their best album because they put so much material on that CD, 20 songs, that you yourself can compile a decent 12-14 track disc out of it and have a good album on your hands. I know a lot of people hate that album but I don't really care for their old material.

The Strictly albums were just stupid; once again I feel all of that material should have gone on one disc, with the weaker tracks thrown out, made into b-sides, made online-only, whatever. And strictly Rude isn't even entirely ska, the slow/dub material on that CD is loving bubonic. Awful awful awful.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Josh Wow posted:

Dude you live in NY, go loving see them. I live in Georgia, used to live in SC, and I've seen them at least 6 times in 4 different states. Get on the ball man.

Every time they are playing a show I always have something already planned for that day. It's like the gods are conspiring against me.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
so have any of you guys seen the dan deacon / liam lynch seashorse video? because that's what "not loving around" sounds like. its like dave mcwayne got hosed up on lsd, started rambling, some guy recorded it and set it to music.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Sugar Blaster posted:

so have any of you guys seen the dan deacon / liam lynch seashorse video? because that's what "not loving around" sounds like. its like dave mcwayne got hosed up on lsd, started rambling, some guy recorded it and set it to music.

Speaking of Dan Deacon in his song Ohio right here he briefly mentions ska bands and rudies!

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Josh Wow posted:

Honestly though Not loving Around is a killer song and I could easily see it being a top 40 hit. I don't actually think it will, but it's the kind of song that could be.

Seriously? That song, as well as every other song on that album, is horrible. I can't find one single redeeming quality about any song on this album. I absolutely hate it, which sucks, because I've loved Big D forever, and think they're some of the coolest, nicest guys I've ever met. Honestly, this album is loving dog poo poo.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

It's a catchy, uptempo song and for once Dave doesn't have the dumbest loving lyrics in the world. In fact he somehow seems to have only used one or two nonsense phrases in the song (razz it around is the only one I can think of). Plus it's kind of a funny song.

I think that's one of the funniest things about Big D is how their lyrics are just so abysmal and make no sense and no one questions it. Souped up vinyl? Doped up dollies on a one way ticket to blood? Like a flashlight on but lost? The fact that the song Bender seems like he half wrote lyrics to two different songs and just slammed them together. At least on this album he makes some kind of sense most of the time. Bonus points for their not being any songs about Boston on it. Honestly it isn't really a good Big D album but a lot of the poo poo they do that annoys me isn't on it. Of course most of the poo poo they do that I like isn't either.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Well don't I feel like a horse's rear end

Also other dude you should call in sick and go see them

This show is gonna be good

Its really, really tempting....I need to see what time the show is first. I mihgt be able to swap shifts with some one so I can get off work at 7pm, miss the opening band, and see my boys from the Big Easy.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Hey dudes. I haven't really listened to ska in a long time, but back in the day my favorites were Operation Ivy, The Specials, and Streetlight Manifesto. Idk if that is too broad of a range of types of ska, but does anyone have any good modern bands they'd like to reccomend?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mustard Plug, Suicide Machines early stuff, Catch-22, Common Rider

Oh hey this reminds me, I have permission to distribute 4point0's EP so if anybody wants some free music either post it here or hit me up on AIM

edit actually I'm leaving for a show in fifteen minutes, so just leave me a message on AIM and I'll get back to you when I get home from Paranoia Dance Party (bleh) and Car Full of Midgets (wooo!)

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 27, 2009

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I don't remember if I've mentioned that I love Murphy's Kids or Tri-State Conspiracy yet so I'm going to go ahead and do it now.

You should all listen to them.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Mustard Plug, Suicide Machines early stuff, Catch-22, Common Rider

Oh hey this reminds me, I have permission to distribute 4point0's EP so if anybody wants some free music either post it here or hit me up on AIM

edit actually I'm leaving for a show in fifteen minutes, so just leave me a message on AIM and I'll get back to you when I get home from Paranoia Dance Party (bleh) and Car Full of Midgets (wooo!)

I'm not american so I don't have AIM, but I wouldnt mind it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

dnz posted:

I'm not american so I don't have AIM, but I wouldnt mind it.
Pretty sure you don't need to be American to use AIM. I have friends overseas with accounts.

I'd be interested too. I kind of want to offer to host it, but I'm a little terrified of the impact of a goon rush on my bandwidth. Still, it's a ska album, there can't be too much interest, right? :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's already hosted on mediafire, I'd just rather not link it here because then mediafire catches that it's a link posted in a music forum and down it goes

I'll send the link to people tomorrow

DNZ if you have an email I can send the link to, that works too. I'm not real picky

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
All right, cool. I'd love to hear it too, AIM's in profile. Thanks.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

It's already hosted on mediafire, I'd just rather not link it here because then mediafire catches that it's a link posted in a music forum and down it goes

I'll send the link to people tomorrow

DNZ if you have an email I can send the link to, that works too. I'm not real picky

Put it in my profile, thanks.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I'd love to hear it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
oh snap

The FTA show next week just got better: Razbari Sumthing is going to be doing a reunion show

poo poo. Yeah.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Just got back from Warped Tour. Big D was awesome. gently caress you guys :colbert:

Of course Streetlight was awesome too.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

oh snap

The FTA show next week just got better: Razbari Sumthing is going to be doing a reunion show

poo poo. Yeah.

:suicide: The Stuck Lucky/Fatter Than Albert show/bar-b-que is starting right now and I am stuck at work. I would have called in but I would have lost me holiday pay for yesterday...this loving sucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna point and laugh while I buy both albums on Thursday

Also those of you who asked for the EP and then are never online (Guppy) need to give me another way to hook you up with it

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I'm gonna point and laugh while I buy both albums on Thursday

Also those of you who asked for the EP and then are never online (Guppy) need to give me another way to hook you up with it

I'm always online at Tailsofsymphonia on AIM. Hook me up please, thanks.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.
Okay, so I absolutely bloody LOVE the Stray Bullets, and the new Have Nots album is fantastic as well. However, as far as ska-punk goes, I have a really, really hard time finding bands that I like. Maybe I'm just picky, but most ska-punk bands I find a) are too punky for my tastes, and not enough ska, or, more often, b) have singers that I find really irritating, to the point at which I can't enjoy the music. For example, I just listened to some of Choking Victim's stuff, and while I dig the music, the singer annoys the hell out of me. I feel the same way about Operation Ivy (I know, I know), Big D and the Kids Table and NOFX (although they're not quite as bad). I just don't like whiny or uncontrolled-sounding vocals, and that sort of seems to be the norm in punk.

A large reason I like the Stray Bullets as much as I do is their singer, Jon Cauztik. He has a scratchy voice, but it's super focused, strong, and extremely rhythmic. Does anybody have any suggestions for ska punk bands I might enjoy? The only other I can think that I like is The Suicide Machines, who I've listened to for many years. Oh, and The Flatliners are pretty good, too. Stuff like that!

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Maybe JB Conspiracy.

And you said you didn't like Op Ivy but check Common Rider too.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

BrandNewHero posted:

Okay, so I absolutely bloody LOVE the Stray Bullets, and the new Have Nots album is fantastic as well. However, as far as ska-punk goes, I have a really, really hard time finding bands that I like. Maybe I'm just picky, but most ska-punk bands I find a) are too punky for my tastes, and not enough ska, or, more often, b) have singers that I find really irritating, to the point at which I can't enjoy the music. For example, I just listened to some of Choking Victim's stuff, and while I dig the music, the singer annoys the hell out of me. I feel the same way about Operation Ivy (I know, I know), Big D and the Kids Table and NOFX (although they're not quite as bad). I just don't like whiny or uncontrolled-sounding vocals, and that sort of seems to be the norm in punk.

A large reason I like the Stray Bullets as much as I do is their singer, Jon Cauztik. He has a scratchy voice, but it's super focused, strong, and extremely rhythmic. Does anybody have any suggestions for ska punk bands I might enjoy? The only other I can think that I like is The Suicide Machines, who I've listened to for many years. Oh, and The Flatliners are pretty good, too. Stuff like that!

I am willing to bet the singers voice will drive you mad but I will mention Stuck Lucky. They are one of the few punk/ska bands I actually like.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
Does anyone know where I can buy the album that contains this song:

http://onecoolguy.net/One_Cool_Guy-Be_With_You.mp3

I'm absolutely in love with it and I can't find anything but a compilation album that people are charging 40 dollars for :(

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Stoop Kid posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy the album that contains this song:

http://onecoolguy.net/One_Cool_Guy-Be_With_You.mp3

I'm absolutely in love with it and I can't find anything but a compilation album that people are charging 40 dollars for :(

I don't think you can buy it anymore, but if you "look around" you can grab 7 songs of their "From Downtown" album.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Dundee McFluffers posted:

Just got back from Warped Tour. Big D was awesome. gently caress you guys :colbert:

Of course Streetlight was awesome too.

Warped Tour comes to my town the day after I leave for my honeymoon. :( It was the only shot I have at seeing StM anytime soon.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Reel Big Fish/English Beat tomorrow!!!

...if I get my paycheck today like I'm supposed to...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurchington posted:

Warped Tour comes to my town the day after I leave for my honeymoon. :( It was the only shot I have at seeing StM anytime soon.

I'm going to keep saying Streetlight is so much better if you can catch them at a smaller venue

Or even a largish one that's not Warped

Penny Arcade kicked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I'm going to keep saying Streetlight is so much better if you can catch them at a smaller venue

Or even a largish one that's not Warped

Penny Arcade kicked rear end

I'll be able to either dispute this or second it after the 15th.

I was at a show in Buffalo with Dan Potthast, Zox, and Streetlight.

Only around 40 or so people knew who Dan was then after Zox, about 3/4ths of the crowd went to the bar and the 30 people who were there came up. It was the most amazing show I've ever been too. Everyone who was on the floor in front of the stage sang along with every song.