Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Zurich posted:

Hey Marsh, can you drop me with an email with your email address so I have your email address to email you about some stuff - my email is on my website and alas I don't have PMs!

Thankyoo

Is your website latestwonder.com? Because it's saying "Forbidden" at the moment.

Edit: Oops, didn't read the usernames and assumed you were the chap who posted his resumé. Hello again.

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
designedbygold.com

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been getting a lot of recruiter hits for UI deisgners in the SF Bay Area lately, most of them are for senior positions but it might be worth it to get your resume into the hands of some of these recruiters. PM or email me if you're interested.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I got frustrated with applying for design work after my "internship" turned out to be a flop. I don't blame the guy in charge, as it would probably have been a great opportunity for people less-familiar with the software or design process. He was a marketing guy and was genuinely impressed with my work. He and I are still on good terms; he'll even send a small project my way every once in a while.

Fortunately for my job quest, I've gotten to the point that if I remain in food service very much longer, I will burn down the restaurant and murder everyone in it.

I've updated my portfolio with some work I did while interning, but I want to do everything that's needed to get a real job.

I know I'm asking a lot, but with what I have so far, can someone give me a rough outline of what I need to do to 1.) turn myself into something hirable (i.e. freelance work, improve my portfolio site, lose weight etc.) and 2.) get a loving job? I don't care how harsh the criticism is as long as it's fair, but if I have an idea of what to do, I'll commit to getting it done.

I started spamming online job postings, but until I actually get a job, it's not enough. It doesn't even have to be a good job, just one that gets me started in the right direction.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

I got frustrated with applying for design work after my "internship" turned out to be a flop. I don't blame the guy in charge, as it would probably have been a great opportunity for people less-familiar with the software or design process. He was a marketing guy and was genuinely impressed with my work. He and I are still on good terms; he'll even send a small project my way every once in a while.

Fortunately for my job quest, I've gotten to the point that if I remain in food service very much longer, I will burn down the restaurant and murder everyone in it.

I've updated my portfolio with some work I did while interning, but I want to do everything that's needed to get a real job.

I know I'm asking a lot, but with what I have so far, can someone give me a rough outline of what I need to do to 1.) turn myself into something hirable (i.e. freelance work, improve my portfolio site, lose weight etc.) and 2.) get a loving job? I don't care how harsh the criticism is as long as it's fair, but if I have an idea of what to do, I'll commit to getting it done.

I started spamming online job postings, but until I actually get a job, it's not enough. It doesn't even have to be a good job, just one that gets me started in the right direction.
Your site still comes across as horribly amateurish - the work isn't spectacular and the text makes you seem like a hobbyist. Also the coding is 10 years out of date and the navigation is confusing.

Sorry :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

KittenofDoom posted:

I agree with Zurich that the text is really unprofessional. If you're trying to get hired, things like "Yay me" don't make you come across as fun and friendly, they just make you sound like a teenager.

You definitely need the "About me" page, and by all means add a couple of jokes or a bit of personality. But the majority of the text should be professional-sounding and highlight your experience and skills. "I know a lot of programs. I mean a whole bunch of em." is not helpful to me as an employer. Some examples of the programs you can use and to what level would be much better. I can see you've put it in your resumé, which is good, but you can't assume people reading your site will click it. They might give up before then.

Also, from the About Me page, the links to Sketchbook and Random Fun! don't work.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Zurich posted:

Your site still comes across as horribly amateurish - the work isn't spectacular and the text makes you seem like a hobbyist. Also the coding is 10 years out of date and the navigation is confusing.

Sorry :(
No that's a perfectly fair assessment. The design was originally a rush job that I never got around to improving, and I'll make re-doing it a priority. I've been meaning to start doing CSS anyways. Is there a good place to pick up freelance design jobs? The stuff I usually end up getting is limited to smaller illustrations like what I had in my portfolio.

Thanks for the help :)

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
There's a thread in A/T at the moment talking about this sort of stuff - would be better off in CC but hey.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3167697

To be honest I don't even know, it just sort of happens. Word of mouth, bands/clubs I know, studentgems.com is great (but UK only :(), SA Mart if you're desperate, Gumtree (UK only again I think - Craigslist?), that sort of thing.

All the job boards, eLance etc are flooded with people who are willing to work for less than you can afford to live on, it's not like there's some magical treasure trove full of good clients wanting to pay lots for you to do stuff for them :(

Oh, I work at the local print shop part time - mainly for the cash whilst I'm in uni (freelance in the evenings), but aside from the masses and masses of bullshit you have to do I've done a couple of nice logos and business cards and such. Even if the client wants something different it doesn't hurt to be working on a 'real' brief rather than just making up logos in your bedroom. There's nothing to say you can't have a version the client approves and a 'me version'.

Roofie
Sep 6, 2004

Hi there fuzzball.
This is a really nice, useful thread.
I've graduated with a BA in Game Art Design and I'm now looking for a job as a game artist. I've started a little late because I was looking into doing a masters, but that option seems to have crumbled. Nobody seems to be hiring right now, so I really need to pull something out of the hat.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on my website? The links page has nothing on it yet, but I figured the most important bit was sorting my own work out.
https://www.queen-of-arts.co.uk

Also I really need to sort my resume out. The example one is so clear and concise!

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Roofie posted:

This is a really nice, useful thread.
I've graduated with a BA in Game Art Design and I'm now looking for a job as a game artist. I've started a little late because I was looking into doing a masters, but that option seems to have crumbled. Nobody seems to be hiring right now, so I really need to pull something out of the hat.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on my website? The links page has nothing on it yet, but I figured the most important bit was sorting my own work out.
http://www.queen-of-arts.co.uk

I know very little about proper portfolio layout, but, as a word guy, I can say with complete confidence that you should never, never use exclamation marks in a professional context.

Also, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to get rid of the "about me" text at the bottom, and instead have a separate page for qualifications, and perhaps a phone number on the contact page--but that kind of falls into the realm of protocol, so you might want to confer with proper designers about that.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

I'm baffled in the way you guys show your work. It's seriously bad. ( I'm talking to you guys, Kittenofdoom & roofie )

Remember that presentation is everything. Why not show off your 3D work in another way? Add some sketches next to it, or more wireframes, or render it in a bunch of different positions and make a composition that really brings value to the work.

Your work isn't even that bad, but the entire site build around it just brings down the value so much. Start reading about interface design, web design and portfolio presentation.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why schools let people graduate with portfolios like that. Even if you showed _REALLY_ impressive stuff on that website. I probably still won't hire you because A) I won't believe it & B) it shows to me that you don't really have a feeling for design or presentation. Which is at least as important as your actual design skills.

Have some respect for your work and present it in a way it deserves to be presented.

Protips: http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/ use this or find a generic portfolio site where you can upload and show your work. There are some out there that are very decent.

I can safely say you will never find a job with these portfolios. I graduated 3 weeks ago. It's not hard to find a job when you present yourself in a professional and positive way. It can be done, but goddamn spend more time on it then your actual work, because it is essential in everything you do.

Jabe fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 16, 2009

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma
Nowadays, I see a lot of job posting requiring to just submit a PDF portfolio (3-10 samples depending their request) rather then a link to an online portfolio...

Skelezoid
Mar 30, 2003

"I looked in her eyes and realised how rare it is to find someone willing to have sex with me."
I'd like to chime in and echo what Jabe has to say.

Think of it this way: 99% of the time, the portfolio is the only impression you get make on the people who may hire you. If you rushed it or didn't spend some serious time researching and iterating on it, then you've done yourself a huge disservice. For reference I spent about 2 months (mostly evenings) researching how I needed to communicate myself, what work I should be showing, how I should talk about it. Actually writing the HTML and getting my work together was probably 25% of my effort.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Does anyone have a list of well-made portfolio sites handy? I generally produce much better work when I have something to reference.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
smashingmagazine.com?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

KittenofDoom posted:

Does anyone have a list of well-made portfolio sites handy? I generally produce much better work when I have something to reference.

You mean "Does anyone have anything I can copy"?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

marshmallard posted:

You mean "Does anyone have anything I can copy"?
As in "does anyone have anything I can reference for ideas, like what I was taught to do."

I have my own words, I just need the grammar.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

KittenofDoom posted:

As in "does anyone have anything I can reference for ideas, like what I was taught to do."

I have my own words, I just need the grammar.

Pshhh. Such a thief you. ARE? I dont copy grammar from book texts and I use for write to be. AM GOOD?! with for to writing grammar.

Seriously, though, I recall seeing a couple of 'Critique my portfolio' threads pop up here throughout the years--I'd bet you could get quite a few decent pointers by looking them up. Well, once the forum search engine comes back up, anyways.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Pantothenate posted:

Pshhh. Such a thief you. ARE? I dont copy grammar from book texts and I use for write to be. AM GOOD?! with for to writing grammar.

Seriously, though, I recall seeing a couple of 'Critique my portfolio' threads pop up here throughout the years--I'd bet you could get quite a few decent pointers by looking them up. Well, once the forum search engine comes back up, anyways.
I'll dig around. Thanks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Some general things I like to see in portfolios:

Some explanation. Talk about the problem/brief and how you addressed and solved the challenges involved. Maybe mention the scope of the audience.

Show the process. Show early/developmental versions of things to illustrate the process of getting to the end goal.

Show context. For branding add pictures of ads/business cards/signage/t-shirts if you can. For web design try to show different kinds of pages that show off the system you developed.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
First of all, thanks so much for the detailed response marshmallard. i just thought i'd answer some of the questions you raised and ask some of my own.

marshmallard posted:

Secondly, as an ad copywriter myself, I'd say you can definitely afford to take out the landscaping job. It's completely irrelevant and you've got enough to fill that section without it.

Done and done.

marshmallard posted:

"Media related" should really be "media-related", and if I were you, I'd put something more solid in that section. "Further develop my abilities" is vague. You'd be better off saying exactly what kind of development you're looking for. Are you looking for work experience or an actual job? It reads like work experience, mostly because you've said "to gain experience". If you're looking for a permanent job, you'll need to overhaul that section a bit. If not, adding your date of birth might be useful, to make it absolutely clear you're not entering the world of work just yet.
This was tricky for me in the first place. I suppose in the grand scheme of things, I am looking for an entry level job, because I understand that my lack of experience is a hinderance in gaining quality permanent employment. I suppose that "to gain experience" then is what I'm looking for, though since I am done school, I AM looking to start a career.

If I were to add a birthday, where would you reccomend?

marshmallard posted:

I would put Marketing Assistant on the line directly below "Symphony New Brunswick" (is New Brunswick the location? If so, you need a comma after Symphony), then leave a line, then start the description with "Created...". "Up to date" should be "Up-to-date". I wouldn't normally pick on small things like that, but if you're looking at copywriting jobs, you need to be flawless.
New Brunswick is a place, but the actual name of the company was "Symphony New Brunswick".

marshmallard posted:

Some idea of your level of skill with the computer programs you list might be good, too.
Good idea.

marshmallard posted:

Finally, I don't get from your resumé what job it is you're looking for. Unless, like I said before, you're after work experience. But there's a bit of a mixture of design, film and writing, so if you are after a permanent position, it'd be good to focus on one of those areas.
This is the big problem for me. I don't really think I have enough experience in any of those fields, so I just kind of threw every qualification I've got on there. I think you're right that I should be theming this more as an entry level, experience seeking resume. Problem with that is that most places around here are hiring for people with at least 2-3 years of experience. Bummer.

marshmallard posted:

Sorry this is so long. I know it sounds like I've made a lot of criticisms, but actually your resumé was far superior to a lot of the junior ones I've received at work.
Thanks again!

I've uploaded a new copy of my resume with your revisions in mind. Yay or nay?

http://www.latestwonder.com/michaelmcdermott_resume2.pdf

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

Dauher posted:

I've uploaded a new copy of my resume with your revisions in mind. Yay or nay?

http://www.latestwonder.com/michaelmcdermott_resume2.pdf

IMO it's pretty bad form to just say Final Cut. The program is called Final Cut Pro. This could just be sort of pet peeve though, lots people misspell AVID Xpress or fail to put the e on the end of Adobe Premiere.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Nope, that's fair. Changed that right away, and as a bonus, you helped me notice it was listed there twice, so cheers for that

edit - Dreamweaver as well.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
So gang, post your business cards!

The Pimpin Panda
Feb 19, 2008
Hey everybody, I posted here a couple months ago, but I thought I'd try one more time just to see if I could get any more information. I'm going to be a senior in high school and was looking if anyone has recommendations for big colleges in the U.S where you don't necessarily need to apply to their art department to end up doing graphic design. I have a B average and a 32 on my ACT if that helps narrow it down. Thanks so much for any help.

(And by big schools I mean big, big.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is it true that it is considered rude/unacceptable to ask how much you will get paid for a job during an interview? Someone told me this was the case, but it sounds ridiculous.

same
Mar 31, 2004

Seriously
Looking for a very talented Sr. Designer to join my nike team

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

The Pimpin Panda posted:

Hey everybody, I posted here a couple months ago, but I thought I'd try one more time just to see if I could get any more information. I'm going to be a senior in high school and was looking if anyone has recommendations for big colleges in the U.S where you don't necessarily need to apply to their art department to end up doing graphic design. I have a B average and a 32 on my ACT if that helps narrow it down. Thanks so much for any help.

(And by big schools I mean big, big.

Whereabouts do you live? This is usually an important factor in picking a college, haha.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hackuma posted:

Is it true that it is considered rude/unacceptable to ask how much you will get paid for a job during an interview? Someone told me this was the case, but it sounds ridiculous.
Salary negotiations are like a game of chicken, nobody wants to say a number first because there's probably a $15-20k "salary band" for any given position. If you ask most places will respond with "we're competitive" or something equally vague until they're ready to make an offer. Some places will lowball on their first offer too. I used to have little patience for this and as a result probably left a pile of money on the table over the course of my career. It's a delicate negotiation so just be careful what you say but also don't sell yourself short.

The best advice I could give is to do some research and find out what people in the kinds of positions you're looking at are actually getting paid. Also make sure you're happy with your base salary as bonus plans, raises, equity, profit sharing, etc. are nice but they can always change or go away.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Ahhh, thanks. That makes more sense.

The Pimpin Panda
Feb 19, 2008

Six AM posted:

Whereabouts do you live? This is usually an important factor in picking a college, haha.

Illinois, but I'm not really bothered by moving away from home. I'm more interested in knowing what colleges have good graphic design programs. For example, does Mizzou?

Antis0ciald0rk
Nov 30, 2002
wtf is this?

The Pimpin Panda posted:

Illinois, but I'm not really bothered by moving away from home. I'm more interested in knowing what colleges have good graphic design programs. For example, does Mizzou?

If you want to look at in state schools, I graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago and the graphic design program was great. I also know many good designers who graduated from U of I at Urbana-Champaign. Prior to enrolling at UIC I spent 3 semesters at NIU and the program there sucked balls. It wasn't challenging, the work of my classmates was piss poor and the teachers were too busy fighting amongst themselves and playing politics/favorites to give a crap.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm still working on a portfolio re-design, but in the meantime I think I may have lucked out and am scheduled for a third-level face-to-face interview with a web company. The job is for a vector artist, which is something I happen to actually be quite good at.

Anybody have any idea what I might expect if I were to work full-time for a gaming website? It's still a longshot, but I don't want to be suckered into another bad position like I was with my "internship".

They're based in the Bay Area and supposedly have a long list of popular games for Myspace and such, but would even a popular company like that have enough capital to pay a fair wage? Even entry-level wages for an artist or graphic designer in the Bay Area would be something like $25 hourly.

How do I a) put myself in a better position to succeed in this job interview and b) ensure I don't get sucked into something unpleasant?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KittenofDoom posted:

How do I a) put myself in a better position to succeed in this job interview and b) ensure I don't get sucked into something unpleasant?
a) Do as much research as you can about not just their products but also any others that are similar or they compete with. Be prepared to talk about Flash a lot.

b) Ask questions about the company, how they work, what their development and release schedule is like, who all the people involved in the production process are, etc. If they're a startup it's OK to ask about their funding situation and revenue model. Be honest about what you want out of the position besides money.

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
Any tips for selling artwork? I imagine getting a local gallery to display some work with be the first step. I have a website that I would add info to as well. I'm just kind of lost on marketing what I have, specifically custom sculpture pieces.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

JoeWindetc posted:

Any tips for selling artwork? I imagine getting a local gallery to display some work with be the first step. I have a website that I would add info to as well. I'm just kind of lost on marketing what I have, specifically custom sculpture pieces.

Set up an Etsy shop for your paintings, and put your sculptures in the Custom bit. The Etsy thread might help :)

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm still working on a portfolio re-design, but in the meantime I think I may have lucked out and am scheduled for a third-level face-to-face interview with a web company. The job is for a vector artist, which is something I happen to actually be quite good at.

My advice for your portfolio is that your hippobird is probaly your strongest piece, your life drawing in the bottom right is quite good, the enviroment has good perspective but it looks unfinished espically the arch in the middle. The modelling design mock up is decent.

I would recommend removing all the other pieces not mentioned above, work on the enviroment and try to focus on the lighting and make sure its clear where the light source is and the level of detail is consitent between areas a similar distance away from the viewpoint. Make a few more vector art pieces to the quality of the hippobird one and put up a few more quality life drawings. Try experimenting with shadows with a strong blue or green color tinge compared to the base color (but still darker and less saturated) to reflect a character outside with blue reflected skylight in their shadows, or lots of green reflected light in the shadows from plants/grass.

If you are doing cel shaded or similar work understanding lighting/color/saturation is one of the best skills you can work on developing, this is a good tutorial if you haven't read it already:

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
I'm going to vent here for a second.

So, I got laid off of my in-house job because of "Corporate Restructuring", and I've spent the last 2 weeks looking for work. I've had a few nibbles, but today, I had 2 cancel out.

And one of them, I know the guys, I went to a happy hour they sponsored, hung out with one of them, who had lamented about not hiring me the first time I had approached them, and now, it turns out they went for some people who have had "Agency" experience.

I've learned to absolutely HATE "agency" experience, because it seems that everyone wants someone with Agency Experience, but they don't want to hire someone without Agency Experience.

So how the gently caress do I get Agency experience?! Where I went to school, there was no place to intern at, and I lived at an apartment during the summer, so leaving for an un-paid internship was out of the question...it's just aggravating.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gently caress agencies, stay inside if you can. I think at this point "agency experience" is code for "doesn't balk at working 12 hours a day with no overtime". I've worked at agencies and inside of companies and there's no topical knowledge differences and any kind of process stuff you could pick up in a week so that leaves stupid hours, substance abuse and backstabbing co-workers as the primary differentiators.

qirex fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
Ahh, see, I've always wondered that, because it just seems like the agencies i've met, they just seem like screw-offs and I don't understand why someone "needs" it.

I'd love to know more about the experience, I'm currently looking for work, and with some of these place, if I can convince them otherwise about people with Agency experience, that'd be awesome.