Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Combat-Jack posted:

I'm taking advantage of the new PS3 price drop, and I'm thinking I'm going to grab Warhawk since it's a nice, cheap, multiplayer game. I'm going to get badly spanked online, aren't I? Any pointers to lessen the blow would be great.

Until you've risen sufficiently in rank, you'll be allowed to access noob-only servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Corridor posted:

Etrian Odyssey. Don't have it, but am gonna get it. Tell me stuff about it so I don't throw it against the wall in a tantrum on my first playthrough.

Also, better to first-play EO1 or EO2?

They're both absolutely brutal and unforgiving. I gave some general advice earlier in the thread that might be of help for both titles, even though it was about EO2. I'd start with the first. If you complete it (good loving luck), you're given a code that you can enter at the beginning of EO2 for a surprise of some sort. I don't know what it is because I haven't finished either of the games yet because Atlus hates the people that play their games.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

GeneralFai posted:

They're both absolutely brutal and unforgiving. I gave some general advice earlier in the thread that might be of help for both titles, even though it was about EO2. I'd start with the first. If you complete it (good loving luck), you're given a code that you can enter at the beginning of EO2 for a surprise of some sort. I don't know what it is because I haven't finished either of the games yet because Atlus hates the people that play their games.
Yeah, after reading up on it a bit I think I might just stick with that other Atlus-hates-you game Dark Spire. Less customisation and even less handholding, but the art and music is better and the map draws its drat self.

Playing Bioshock right now, some stuff I don't think anyone else mentioned is that -

-If you don't kill Sander Cohen when you first meet him, you can visit him at home in his apartment later and access a room with goodies like a weapon upgrade station and stuff (this room is locked if you killed the dude earlier). However, on the downside you'll have to traipse all the way back to Fort Frolic to get inside the Muse Box, not that the contents are worth it. Seriously, what a letdown that was. gently caress that guy.

-Electric gel (and chemical thrower upgrades) will instawin you pretty much any Big Daddy fight. It is therefore somewhat rare, but not that rare.

-If you hack the health stations (those little machines on the wall that refill your health for $16) then not only will they cost less but they will DAMAGE splicers who try to use them. It tells you this in the ingame hints, but you tune those things out (like me) then you'll probably only figure this out in the last half of the game (like me). God I got so sick of wittling those assholes down to a fraction of health, only to have them nip round the corner and emerge fully healed.
BTW if you're pretty sure you won't be returning that way again, you can smash the things for a med kit.

-If you research Houdini Splicers for a bit, you will get a tonic plasmid thing that turns you loving invisible when you stand still. Doesn't quite break the game but comes close. I picked it up by chance almost immediately after I got the camera and it hasn't left my slots since.
edit: This is especially useful/gamebreaking in the situations where Ryan or whomever sends a ton of dudes to gently caress you up. If you stand still before they show then they barge into the room and then just sorta wander around aimlessly, letting you pick them off at your leisure.

-You can one-shot every splicer you meet (up until the engineering levels or so) with antipersonnel pistol rounds and steel crossbow bolts. And past that point you can still one-shot most dudes with the incendiary bolts. The downside is that anti-p pistol ammo is rare and you can only carry small amounts, and the crossbow is slow to fire which makes it nigh-impossible to hit a moving target. However if you combine this info with the plasmid in the previous paragraph, you will become a sneaky Garretty sniper assassin.

-edited additional: Your wallet only holds $500. At the beginning you'll be hoarding every dollar you can scrounge up, but before too long you'll be desperately searching for vending machines to burn that loving money so you can collect the $70 from that Big Daddy you just killed.

And dudes, what the gently caress is up with that wiki? Still happening or not? :(

Corridor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 22, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Corridor posted:

gently caress that guy.

So true.

He/she's not wrong about those health stations, Bioshock newbies; hack every single one of them, or destroy them if you have to. The AI loves those things and knows exactly where the nearest one is. I think I even remember Steinman using the one in the water during that boss fight, though I could be wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Corridor posted:

Etrian Odyssey. Don't have it, but am gonna get it. Tell me stuff about it so I don't throw it against the wall in a tantrum on my first playthrough.

Also, better to first-play EO1 or EO2?

EO2 is the same as the original but with more stuff so no you don't have to play one or the other. Both games are long and hard as balls so you've got a lot of ground to cover.

My advice is to make two parties; your main party and a second party consisting of all survivalists. Do not give the main party any points in skills to find items, run away, reduce encounter chances, or healing skills that take effect only after battle like first aid. They're a waste of points. The 2nd party is for item finding skills only so you can grind out money without fighting monsters that drop few items.

A medic is the most important class; get her a refresh of 7 (covers all ailments) and try to max out immunize by floor 15 because bosses from then on focus on elemental area attacks and those things really REALLY hurt. You only need 1 skill point in revive and ignore unbind, cbr, and healing touch.

An alchemist only needs 1 point in warp and you can get the area effect spell without getting the higher powered spell (for example you don't need flame to get inferno). For your landsknecht, don't bother with axe skills. Only swords can use blazer/freezer/shocker abilities which are really awesome. Don't bother teaching your protector cure either; it sounds nice to have a backup healer but her mp is best spent using defender and parry.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

al-azad posted:

EO2 is the same as the original but with more stuff so no you don't have to play one or the other. Both games are long and hard as balls so you've got a lot of ground to cover.

This is worded in kind of a misleading way. They're not the same game, just very similar in terms of gameplay. Each one has its own plot.

And First Aid is free healing just for completing a battle! I'm not trying to start an argument, it just fits my play style better, and may work well for others, too.

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

GeneralFai posted:

So true.

He/she's not wrong about those health stations, Bioshock newbies; hack every single one of them, or destroy them if you have to. The AI loves those things and knows exactly where the nearest one is. I think I even remember Steinman using the one in the water during that boss fight, though I could be wrong.

Yeah, Steinman'll definitely use the health stations, which is a bitch on hard, when you've hacked all but one.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

HorrorJunkie posted:

Yeah, Steinman'll definitely use the health stations, which is a bitch on hard, when you've hacked all but one.

That one down in the water is easy to miss; if you miss it while trying for the "brass balls" achievement, you might wonder why the battle is taking an hour and a half...

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

GeneralFai posted:

That one down in the water is easy to miss; if you miss it while trying for the "brass balls" achievement, you might wonder why the battle is taking an hour and a half...

That happened to me on my survivor/no vita run. He was the most difficult/longest boss in the game for me. Although the first big daddy is a bitch too.

Later in the game, pretty much anything electrical is win against the Big Daddies, whether its the plasmid, shotgun, the gel or the trip wires. I would alternate electric buck with an RPG or two or the explosive shells and I never really had trouble with them.

BigBreats McLean
Mar 29, 2005
$35,000 Reward
Any tips on FFVI? I mainly just want to know if there is anything cool i can miss permanently, and stuff like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BigBreats McLean posted:

Any tips on FFVI? I mainly just want to know if there is anything cool i can miss permanently, and stuff like that.

Midway through the game you'll be on a floating island. Near the end the island begins to collapse and a timer counts down. Reach the airship with at least 45 seconds left and wait until something happens.

You'll know what that something is when you reach that point. That's the only point AFAIK where you miss out on something important "permanently." Every esper in the first half of the game that you miss out on can eventually be found in the 2nd half.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BigBreats McLean posted:

When you get Mog, go back through the Serpent Trench one more time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

Midway through the game you'll be on a floating island. Near the end the island begins to collapse and a timer counts down. Reach the airship with at least 45 seconds left and wait until something happens.

You'll know what that something is when you reach that point. That's the only point AFAIK where you miss out on something important "permanently." Every esper in the first half of the game that you miss out on can eventually be found in the 2nd half.

Was it 45? I seem to remember always having <10 seconds left by the time the thing happens. Perhaps it's anxiety playing hell with memories though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That plot event happens automatically, so go eat something. Just wait until time runs out, after having one minute to be safe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Alright so I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 for the first time and I must be doing something wrong, because these bosses are just bulldozing me. The only way I've been able to beat the two ninjas for example was constantly mashing X and healing with items because one or two attacks would kill anyone.

I'm running an Angela/Hawk/Duran team and have up to Undine for spells...although they are only attack spells at this time for some reason. I don't think I'm particularly underleveled, unless unlike Secret of Mana it requires Dragon Quest-esque of grinding. I must be putting my stats into the wrong areas and not learning the right moves or something.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

GeneralFai posted:

That rear end in a top hat uses that thing constantly. I think I figured out it was there after the third time or so that he used it. I didn't know about the hacking-gives-damage trick back then, so I had to destroy the thing. He's not what I'd call the HARDEST battle, especially since you have the Electric plasmid by then and the entire battle is in a puddle, but he can be a major oval office if you don't quite know what you're doing.
I didn't know you got achievements in the Xbox version. How cute. What are achievements exactly (I don't have a 360)? Are they just e-peen or do they give perks somehow?

Nate RFB posted:

I'm running an Angela/Hawk/Duran team and have up to Undine for spells...although they are only attack spells at this time for some reason. I don't think I'm particularly underleveled, unless unlike Secret of Mana it requires Dragon Quest-esque of grinding. I must be putting my stats into the wrong areas and not learning the right moves or something.
They do require a little bit of grinding but not that much. Just don't run away from battles and fight whatever monsters you encounter instead of edging past them, that should be enough.

What the game doesn't tell you is that your first character choice affects the game difficulty. Angela is a musthave because she gets spells early, but she's one of the Hard Mode characters so having her as your main will make battles somewhat harder. Kevin and that irritating baby clown girl are the Easy options (despite Kevin being a killing machine later on), I believe Angela and Duran are the Hard ones. The baby clown girl learns healing stuff.

I don't know why you only have attack spells that late in the game. I seem to recall that Angela only learns attack spells, but the others should have some support spells and some elemental sword spells which will make many battles MUCH easier.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Corridor posted:

I don't know why you only have attack spells that late in the game. I seem to recall that Angela only learns attack spells, but the others should have some support spells and some elemental sword spells which will make many battles MUCH easier.
Well, that's probably the answer right there. I haven't put anything into Hawk and Duran's Intelligence or Spirit because I assumed they, being attackers, wouldn't learn any magic (kind of like the hero in SoM).

Leveling up is taking forever in the desert too so I'm worried if I might have gimped my game a bit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Er- If I recall correctly, Wisp is the Element who provides healing spells. Your team however, consists of an attack mage, a thief/ninja, and a tank. Duran is your only party member who can learn any healing spells, and it won't be until level 18 at the earliest, depending on the class chosen.

PS Each of the characters can class change once at level 18 and once again at level 38. You get two choices each time, they are branching paths. If you ever want healing spells again, make Duran a Knight (The 'light' path).

If you are dying a lot it is probably because Duran and Angela are hilariously fragile.

Edit- Neither Duran nor Hawk get any spells at all until class change.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 22, 2009

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Morpheus posted:

So I'm playing Persona 1 (the remake for the PSP), what should I know?

I think that there's an Ice Queen sidequest or something that's pretty big and completely missable, so how do I get in on that? And is there anything else I should look for?

Also important, though probably not as much: does Expert give you any bonuses or reasons for playing it? I'll probably play it anyway, but I'd like to know.

Edit: Holy poo poo the game still plays with first-person dungeons huh? It's weird going backwards in sequential titles.

One thing you should know is that the Snow Queen Quest is a whole another storyline with a different ending. Once you start it you cannot go back to the regular storyline.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

YggiDee posted:

Edit- Neither Duran nor Hawk get any spells at all until class change.
I thought the class change would happen automatically but apparently I have to go to a mana stone? Does it matter which one?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I believe it is any Mana Stone.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I believe it is any Mana Stone.
And you need to be the required level, obviously. Just rock up to a mana stone and the active character will get an option to choose one of two possible class changes.

Second class change requires special items and poo poo. Can't remember where you get them, I think from just defeating random dudes.

What with the two class changes, it means each character has a possibility of 4 final classes, each with different moves and palette swaps. If you give a poo poo you might wanna read up on them a little bit before you pick. Although considering you started this game knowing gently caress all, I'm guessing you don't care that much.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Corridor posted:

What are achievements exactly (I don't have a 360)? Are they just e-peen or do they give perks somehow?

Pure e-peen. Every game must have 1000 points of Gamerscore worth of achievements (Xbox live Arcade titles need 300 IIRC) and while some are pretty intense and worth trying to achieve, some are a little silly.
Good game for achievements: Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Beat each instrument/difficulty, get above a certain amount of points on a song, buy out all the custom character stuff, beat the hardest songs. When someone has the "beat Through the Fire and Flames on expert difficulty" achievement, you know you're in for a challenge online.
Bad achievements: Gears of War had one to kill 1000 people online. GoW2 had one to kill 100,000 people online. Many shooters have things like this, where you're rewarded just for grinding and grinding and grinding. One of the Avatar games was possible to get 1000gamerscore in a couple of minutes using the tutorial level, here's the video.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Nate RFB posted:

When you get Mog, go back through the Serpent Trench one more time.

You have to be careful with the serpent trench the second time through as there's a way you can get permanently stuck, IIRC, something to do with taking a ship somewhere. I think you have to take a long route down to the velt by foot after running the ST.

Also, Genji Glove/Offering Combo is gamebreaking. The Genji Glove can be bought i think, but the Offering relic is found in the castle where you find Odin

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

BigBreats McLean posted:

A bit more character specific:

With Locke steal as often as you can, espcially early in the game great way to stock up on healing items cheap.

There is reason for you not to use Edgar's tool or Sabin's Blitz. They are free powerfull attacks.

Celes's runic absorbs the first magic cast after she uses it, even your own.

Gau is a hit or miss character, early on in the game get him his stray cat rage and stick with it till you find something better that you like.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Losem posted:

There is reason for you not to use Edgar's tool or Sabin's Blitz. They are free powerfull attacks.

Did you mean 'there is no reason'? Or are you doing that nerdfag thing of insisting it's too overpowered or therefore cheating.

Personally I always figured FF6 had way too much missable poo poo to even list. I've played the stupid game like 10 times, but only just learned that if you don't collect the items in the Narshe mines at the start of the game, they'll 'upgrade' into better poo poo later. Or so they tell me.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

A shrubbery! posted:

Pure e-peen. :words:

Some games do give you a benefit for gaining achievements. Mass Effect, for instance, unlocks abilities for further play throughs if you get an achievement. Want to play a non gun using class, but still want to shoot poo poo? Unlock Assault Rifles on a different character, and go to town!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Losem posted:

A bit more character specific:

With Locke steal as often as you can, espcially early in the game great way to stock up on healing items cheap.

Celes's runic absorbs the first magic cast after she uses it, even your own.

Gau is a hit or miss character, early on in the game get him his stray cat rage and stick with it till you find something better that you like.

Adding to this:

When Banon asks you a question, keep saying no to him. This gets you the Genji Glove, a powerful relic that lets you dual wield weapons.

Also, don't grind too much in the first quarter of the game. Wait until later in the story, when you'll receive more than just EXP for levelups.

Until the last parts of the game, don't give Shadow any rare or powerful equipment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
More FFVI: Don't use the Lete River trick or the Vanish/Doom/X-zone trick. If you do not know what these two things entail, then just as well.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3

Abuse the hell out of the Black Market. It's in Byzel (city on the left side of the Golden Road), only open at nights, and you can buy items which can cast spells that you don't have access to. You can buy items which cast buffing spells and you should buy a few bucketloads of these and use them in every boss fight. Use the Attack Up ones on Hawk and Duran, Mind Up on Angela. The others aren't half as important. I think you can also get Saber items and a Heal-All item. The Heal-All item uses the user's spirit stat for calculating how much it heals so Angela should be throwing most of these.

Change class when you hit the level requirement (18 for the first, 36(?) for the second). When you class change your stats will change to the starting values of that class and all the points you put into stats will be lost. On that note, Dexterity and Luck are useless (although Hawk needs some dex to learn some skills).

Some bosses love to counter the gently caress out of spells(?) and level 2-3 techs. The Ninja Bros are an example of these guys. Stick with buffing yourself and bashing their skulls in or else you'll get a nasty counter attack. Another notable example is a certain three-headed boss that shows up near the end game. Don't completely forgo these, but if enemies are using a lot of painful attacks try not using your strongest moves and see if that makes them stop.

When you class change for the first time (which you'll spend a long time as)...
Angela either gets level 2 spells or gets a whole one darkness spell that is useful against about four enemies and a boss. I forget which class gets which but it's her 'light' class (the top branch). 'Dark' (the bottom branch) Angela really isn't that great and since it's the Angela you'll have for most of the game you should go with the light path. The second class dark classes aren't anything special either so you won't be losing anything special.

Duran can learn either a healing spell and shields (light) or Sabers (dark). Duran's healing isn't that great compared to the Poto Oils you can buy in the black market, take time to cast, and only targets one character. And shields are bugged and are mostly useless. On the other hand the 'dark' Duran gets more attack power, half the elemental sabers (fire/air/water/earth, also replacable by the Black Market), and a hit-all-enemies level 2 technique great for wiping regular enemies. From the dark Duran you can get access to Moon/Wood Saber (absorb HP/MP on hit, respectively) or the strongest attack and most powerful tech of the game. Light Duran leads to Heal-All or Saint Saber which aren't half as good as Moon Saber.

Hawk gets lovely trap spells (light) and debuff+attack spells (dark) and you can't buy debuff spells from the Black Market. To learn these skils you'll need some Dex. I don't remember Hawk's second classes very well except the Wanderer (light-light) which can learn some nice skills except it comes way too late in the game.

tl;dr Abuse the hell out of the Black Market

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's all well and good but I already went with Duran as a Knight (Light) for the healing spells. I guess this is a game meant for repeated playthroughs to maximize the process so you can find out what sucks the first time through.

loving Lugar in the Moon forest was a repeat of the same poo poo as the Ninja brothers. As in "oh god hit X as fast as I can so that I can heal my characters every single turn." I actually ran out of all my healing items AND reviving grails and killed him with my last remaining character who had less than 100 HP. Probably was countering me and I was too frantic with healing to notice. I can't believe I'm underleveled (Level 25ish), just pretty sure I upgraded the wrong stats. For example I only just learned that Agility is what gives Hawk new moves as a Ninja, and Spirit is what affects Duran as a Knight. Sure would have loved to know that 10 level ups ago.

But yeah some buffing items would go a LONG loving way. Money is certainly not a problem at this point.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Request: Morrowind

I've spent the past few months fooling around, sometimes obsessively, with the Oblivion GOTY edition for Xbox 360. While I've about had my fill of that game, I apparently haven't had enough of The Elder Scrolls' formula, as recently I very quickly picked up a near-mint copy of Morrowind GOTY for original Xbox that I stumbled upon for $20 at my local used media store (especially quickly after spying similar quality copies of the GOTY edition on eBay going for $40-$50). So, here goes...

1. Is the level-scaling of Oblivion completely gone, or should I still pay extra attention to my leveling?

2. While we're at it, any other major differences between Oblivion and Morrowind I should be aware of in transitioning?

3. Is there any reason I shouldn't go ahead and turn on "always use best attack"?

4. Given that I've just spent the past couple months fooling around with Oblivion, there's a good chance I could tire of this more quickly than expected. That said, given that I went to the extra trouble of securing the GOTY edition instead of any old used copy, how quickly can I realistically take on the Tribunal and Bloodmoon quests? Any other 'must-see' content I should check out before retiring? Also, is it worth the trouble at all to become a werewolf?

5. Semi-related to the previous question, but is the main quest shorter or longer than Oblivion?

Oh, and before anyone replies "take it back and look for the PC version", my computer is a 13" non-Pro Macbook with Intel graphics chip. Even if it could potentially run this game just fine, I'd much rather play it on my TV in surround sound whilst sitting on the couch. :shobon:

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 24, 2009

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Nerd Watch posted:

Request: Morrowind

I've spent the past few months fooling around, sometimes obsessively, with the Oblivion GOTY edition for Xbox 360. While I've about had my fill of that game, I apparently haven't had enough of The Elder Scrolls' formula, as recently I very quickly picked up a near-mint copy of Morrowind GOTY for original Xbox that I stumbled upon for $20 at my local used media store (especially quickly after spying similar quality copies of the GOTY edition on eBay going for $40-$50). So, here goes...

1. Is the level-scaling of Oblivion completely gone, or should I still pay extra attention to my leveling?

2. While we're at it, any other major differences between Oblivion and Morrowind I should be aware of in transitioning?

3. Is there any reason I shouldn't go ahead and turn on "always use best attack"?

4. Given that I've just spent the past couple months fooling around with Oblivion, there's a good chance I could tire of this more quickly than expected. That said, given that I went to the extra trouble of securing the GOTY edition instead of any old used copy, how quickly can I realistically take on the Tribunal and Bloodmoon quests? Any other 'must-see' content I should check out before retiring? Also, is it worth the trouble at all to become a werewolf?

5. Semi-related to the previous question, but is the main quest shorter or longer than Oblivion?

Oh, and before anyone replies "take it back and look for the PC version", my computer is a 13" non-Pro Macbook with Intel graphics chip. Even if it could potentially run this game just fine, I'd much rather play it on my TV in surround sound whilst sitting on the couch. :shobon:

Morrowind is a better game than Oblivion by far. I'm sure you'll love it. To answer your questions:

1) Neither monsters nor loot scale to your level. This means that there's a chance you'll run into monsters that will totally rape you at low levels, but it also means that you can find super kickass loot even at low levels. You'll still want to watch out for your skills because the actual leveling system is the same as Oblivion and you'll want to maximize your stat gains at level up.

2) Combat can be a little more tiresome at low levels because the game doesn't necessarily register you as hitting the enemy with each attack. Basically, it uses dice rolls and your weapon skill to determine hits/misses. This will result in you whiffing from point blank range. A lot. Nothing to do about that except raise your weapon skill.

3) No. Turn it on and leave it on.

4) The first part of the Tribunal quest will be forced on you at the beginning of the game. Other than that I wouldn't give either expansion a serious effort until you're at a decent level.

5) The main quest is a good deal longer than Oblivion's.

As for other tips, I'd say:

- Don't bother with the Enchantment skill. Even with Enchantment maxed you will suck at enchanting things. It's best to just pay the NPC enchanters.
- Cliff Racers suck rear end. If you hear the danger music playing but don't see any monsters, look up. You will get very, very tired of those drat things before too long.
- Save before venturing into unknown territory. There's a chance you'll get owned by monsters that are three times your level.
- You can break the game by maximizing Alchemy and creating killer potions that stack with each other. (Don't do this on your first runthrough).
- Explore every new ruin you find. There's usually some awesome treasure.
- Leave the netches alone until you are told otherwise. They look like scary monsters but they are tame.
- Don't give money to the beggar in Tribunal. Nothing you can do will make him like you. No matter what you do he will try to fight you eventually and I would stay far, far away until you're a superstrong badass.

Other than that, the game lends itself more to you playing in your own way than Oblivion does. Every town has a different look and feel to it and the different ruin/dungeon types are very distinct. Have fun. :)

...! fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 24, 2009

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I haven't played much Oblivion but here's a short list of my favorite things to do in Morrowind:
1. Speedhack.
2. Use bow and arrow for everything.
3. Get so drunk I can 1 shot God.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Because I just bought them on Steam this weekend, I'm curious if anyone has anything to say about 1701; and possibly, tips on achieving higher level play in Droplitz.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Even more FF6:

Early in the game you get control of several parties of moogles. You can strip one of them of all his items and keep them. These items are better than what you currently have.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Any tips for The World Ends with You?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

quote:

- You can break the game by maximizing Alchemy and creating killer potions that stack with each other. (Don't do this on your first runthrough).

Or you can make the "Snowball" spell and have ridiculous stats 5 minutes into the game. Be so strong you break your weapon after one swing!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Any tips for The World Ends with You?

- Always make sure to be using food items, and start with the bigger ones. The difference between fighting with food and without it is basically 'do you want free extra stats or not.' I recommend lots of bravery increasing food, as the improved items it will let you equip can be pretty amazing.

- Almost every boss in the game is vulnerable to knockback. Pins like velocity tackle, shockwave, ice risers, etc. can keep them stunlocked pretty much indefinitely.

- Never EVER buy the +attack or +defense pins for your partners in shops. The currency used for those is also used for buying additional pin slots or improved fusion techniques, and you are ALWAYS much better off saving up for them. If you're really desperate for stat increases, just use food items.

- The partner AI is horrible - set it to manual control, glance up periodically at the top screen, and then mash attacks in whichever direction the enemy is in. Trust me, it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Anything i should know before i start Contact for DS? It seems like its going to be one of those games where its easy to miss stuff.