Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
I really do have to recommend the Lego Racers 2 LP from that thread. Adinsxyz has a wonderful stream of consciousness style to his commentary that simply makes me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Other than double secret of evermore, are there any LPs with shameless gamebreaking exploits? I love watching them for some reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bozart posted:

Other than double secret of evermore, are there any LPs with shameless gamebreaking exploits? I love watching them for some reason.

The FF5 one does a bit of this. It's mostly just nonobvious features rather than blatant bug abuse, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bozart posted:

There's the aforementioned Metroid Zero Mission thread where Krakhan is sequence breaking the hell out of the game. Also Maxwell Adams' LP of Twilight Princess isn't really an exploit run, it's an outright "hack the gently caress out of it" cheat run. It doesn't just break the game, it destroys it.

LowFatCannibal
Nov 23, 2007

by The Finn

ProfessorClumsy posted:

You may have dismissed the Dead Space LP for being subtitled at first, but he's also doing an alternative run on the impossible difficulty with voice commentary. Well worth checking out.

Oh, I didn't know this.
I appreciated what he was trying to do with the subtitles, but it wasn't really working for me, the New Game+ approach put me off too.

Thanks for the 2k7 thread recommendation, but I was already watching most of those LPs.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

LowFatCannibal posted:

Oh, I didn't know this.
I appreciated what he was trying to do with the subtitles, but it wasn't really working for me, the New Game+ approach put me off too.

Thanks for the 2k7 thread recommendation, but I was already watching most of those LPs.

If you haven't already, check out Slowbeef and Diabeetus' Dead to Rights LP. And the Freelance Astronauts are still posting weekly videos in their titular thread.

Edit: these are both on page one.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Is the Sonic 3D Blast LP hosted anywhere?

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Nalk posted:

Is the Sonic 3D Blast LP hosted anywhere?

Pokecapn's? I think he deleted it off it's last mirror on Google Video a while back. That'd be a no I guess.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!

Slio9 posted:

Pokecapn's? I think he deleted it off it's last mirror on Google Video a while back. That'd be a no I guess.

Yeah his, drat what a shame.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I think I burned it to a DVD as a test back when it was first posted. I'll take a look when I get the chance tomorrow.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Remember playing Battlefield 1942 back in the day? Remember sometimes running up against someone who you swear is cheating? Shooting you out of the sky with an APC gun and sniping the hell out of you and just never seems to die?

Well now watch it from the man's own view, as James315 makes everyone his bitch in Thirty-Two Armies of One: Let's Play BATTLEFIELD 1942. Seriously, he takes an already fun game, one that's tough to LP because it's multiplayer, and makes it fun and informative. And somewhat emasculating as he seems to end every map with 40 kills and 3 deaths.

Hey, I like it and felt like pimping it up a bit.

edit: He explains tactics for both sides, stuff like "Well if I was Axis on this map I'd try to keep these points here and push towards the landmark here' but since he's Allies on that map he ruins their day. And vice-versa. Right now he's going through most of the regular maps on whatever side he gets auto-assigned to, but is promising to come back and give commentary from both sides once he's made a full run through the maps.

And for insomniacs his baritone will neatly tuck you in to sleep.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 20, 2009

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

CannonFodder posted:

James315 makes everyone his bitch in Thirty-Two Armies of One: Let's Play BATTLEFIELD 1942.

Really, this LP is fantastic. It doesn't matter if you've never played any Battlefield game (I haven't) because James315 explains everything so well, and it becomes very obvious that he's tremendously good at the game. Being a multiplayer game with a small community, there's even recurring players that 315 repeatedly kills, much to their frustration. And one retarded pubbie typing in the team chat makes for funny videos when 315 murders them.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

GuavaMoment posted:

Really, this LP is fantastic. It doesn't matter if you've never played any Battlefield game (I haven't) because James315 explains everything so well, and it becomes very obvious that he's tremendously good at the game. Being a multiplayer game with a small community, there's even recurring players that 315 repeatedly kills, much to their frustration. And one retarded pubbie typing in the team chat makes for funny videos when 315 murders them.

Ditto on this. I've never played this game before but having played many multiplayer games I can tell that this guy is not only good, but he's knowledgeable about the game. His voice is also very calm and pleasant to listen to as well. Great to listen to if you like voiced LP's.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's the aforementioned Metroid Zero Mission thread where Krakhan is sequence breaking the hell out of the game.
Seconding this, this is the thread.

Krakhan pretty much knows everything in this game, and he's good at it too. It might be a bit fast if you want the regular metroid feeling, but it's perfect for showing off the sequence breaking he's doing. It's also rather informative through the commentary, so if you're having problems yourself with sequence breaking, this could be quite interesting to watch.

He's doing two runs, one 15% normal mode run and one 100% hard mode run.

Pope Ron Paul II
Feb 10, 2008
GodTube Ron Paul?
Never loving mind.

Pope Ron Paul II fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 25, 2009

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Pope Ron Paul II posted:

I wanted to request an LP of Mass Effect.

You want this thread.

You should also read the Sandcastle, or at least the OP.

Pope Ron Paul II
Feb 10, 2008
GodTube Ron Paul?

Proteus4994 posted:

You want this thread.

You should also read the Sandcastle, or at least the OP.

Thanks, but the list is unavailable to me at the moment. I keep getting some error. And I'd have liked to sift through 17 pages, but I'm a college student and I have work to do.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Pope Ron Paul II posted:

Thanks, but the list is unavailable to me at the moment. I keep getting some error. And I'd have liked to sift through 17 pages, but I'm a college student and I have work to do.

Then maybe you should do your work and not request LPs to watch. Otherwise use the correct thread.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

Pope Ron Paul II posted:

Or you could ctrl+F like someone with half a brain. What are we, your servants?

Pope Ron Paul II
Feb 10, 2008
GodTube Ron Paul?

Null Set posted:

Or you could ctrl+F like someone with half a brain. What are we, your servants?

Or maybe I already tried that and didn't see it, and I'm paranoid that I might have missed it. Jesus, just drop it already.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Is it just me, or is this getting rather derailed?

Anyway, to get back on track, Rooreelooo's current LP of Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is something I'm really enjoying.

Most of you will have heard of him through either Blood Brother, or his previous LPs, and he's back, which is a good thing.

He knows the game like the back of his hand, the subtitles are both informative and funny, plus the people in the thread are brilliant. It's only just started, so you only have 5 videos to catch up on as well. Good for all of us. Oh, and it's rather regularly updated.

Thread Here

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Re-seconding The Man With a Hat's Dead Space, and Chip Cheezum's MGS3 - both are really awesome voice-over (or with Dead Space, voice-over AND a separate subtitle) LPs, very funny engaging and entertaining.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem
Erenthal's Splinter Cell thread is a great LP to follow if you're someone who is interested in the game but too impatient to play through it yourself, like me. His playthrough is both competent and thorough, showing off things like alternate paths and in-game conversations. His subtitle commentary is informative and unintrusive, and he makes a clear effort to make the game interesting to watch. Even if subtitle LPs aren't usually your thing, I highly reccommend giving it a shot.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

GuavaMoment posted:

Seconding this. I watched all the videos in one sitting. Anyone know if there are any other good multiplayer LPs out there?

The Roll
Aug 14, 2006
Let them eat bread!
While I don't normally find much of the stuff in the Emasculation Station super noteworthy, I do have to say that Violen's No damage, weapons, armor, parts speed run of X6 is excellent(he is forced by the game to break some of these conducts, but he more than makes up for these small forced aberrations). He provides an entertaining commentary on how he manages to make it through the game while displaying a level of skill that comes with careful planning and lots of practice. He puts himself through a lot of punishment, but the video he ends up with is nothing shy of amazing, dodging projectiles and abusing hit detection is nothing new, but he does in perfectly, quickly, and all in one go, with no emulator buffoonery or save states which makes it all the more impressive.

Even though it's not quite technically a traditional LP, I feel like he should get some more recognition for how awesome his run actually came out. Here is a link to his posts in the Emasculation station, he starts posting the videos about 3 posts down. Link Here

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

CannonFodder posted:

Well now watch it from the man's own view, as James315 makes everyone his bitch in Thirty-Two Armies of One: Let's Play BATTLEFIELD 1942. Seriously, he takes an already fun game, one that's tough to LP because it's multiplayer, and makes it fun and informative. And somewhat emasculating as he seems to end every map with 40 kills and 3 deaths.

GuavaMoment posted:

Really, this LP is fantastic.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Ditto on this.

Sirocco posted:

Seconding this.

When something gets this many recommendations, it has to be good, right?

Right. This LP is phenomenal, and this is coming from someone who really wasn't ready to buy into an LP of a strictly (well, essentially strictly) multiplayer game by one person.

Edit:

The Roll posted:

Even though it's not quite technically a traditional LP, I feel like he should get some more recognition for how awesome his run actually came out.

It's as much of an LP as anything else, I'd say. Sometimes it's hard to sort the good from the bad in megathreads, so these kind of recommendations are great.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Also gonna pile on Thirty-Two Armies of One, his voice is so classy, he really makes up for the lagginess of the remaining servers. Also watched it all in one sitting, wouldn't mind reviews for classy, background-noise style VLPs.

Kostoglotov
Apr 16, 2003

Imperial loyalist since 1980.
I'm really enjoying The Adventures of Willy Beamish by Squint. The point-and-click adventure game from 1991 is bizarre and hilarious, with a narrator that has to be heard to be believed, and Squint is doing a great job with subtitles, expert gameplay, and main and supplemental videos. I had no idea what to expect when I clicked on the thread, but I'm glad I did, because it's a lot of fun - check it out!

Also, I'm going to second Luquous' recommendation of Rooreeloo's Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts thread - excellent stuff from a top-notch LPer whose love of the game really comes through.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

The Roll posted:

Even though it's not quite technically a traditional LP, I feel like he should get some more recognition for how awesome his run actually came out. Here is a link to his posts in the Emasculation station, he starts posting the videos about 3 posts down. Link Here
Thanks for giving this some exposition, this is serious TAS-like skill on display that i would otherwise have missed. Its not too long time-wise, but him casually mentioning that he spent over a month or 170+ attempts for some stages alone should give you an idea of how insane this run is.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
My greatest apologies if the following recommendations have already been stated. If they have been, consider it me giving it a consensus.

One of the first LPs I've ever watched was the Eversion LPs, by DeceasedCrab and QuantumCrayons respectively. DiseasedCrab is, IMHO, one of the best YouTube LPers, and Crayons' playthrough is incredibly entertaining because his gradual collapse into insanity is real (as it's a blind playthrough).

As for those of you that have never heard of Eversion, it's a web-game platformer that starts out as a fun little clone of Cocoron. Trust me when I say it gets progressively better, and that it would cut down on the fun if I spoiled anything.

Jerusalem's Let's Play of Grand Theft Auto III: San Andreas and Schildekrote's LP of Persona 3 are a pair of screenshot/video hybrid (screenshot primary) LPs that I love for the same reason. They are done from the perspective of the main character, and really flesh out the game's characters and universe. One of the explicit reasons for the San Andreas LP is to try and go about justifying the crazy, crazy poo poo Carl can do over the course of the game. I highly recommend both, but only if you're patient--- they're both long ones, and more like outstanding novelizations than traditional LPs.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

JT Jag posted:

One of the first LPs I've ever watched was the Eversion LPs, by DeceasedCrab and QuantumCrayons respectively. DiseasedCrab is, IMHO, one of the best YouTube LPers, and Crayons' playthrough is incredibly entertaining because his gradual collapse into insanity is real (as it's a blind playthrough).

As for those of you that have never heard of Eversion, it's a web-game platformer that starts out as a fun little clone of Cocoron. Trust me when I say it gets progressively better, and that it would cut down on the fun if I spoiled anything.

These recommendations don't really belong here. There an offsite LP recommendation thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3183571

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Ambisagrus and A Wooden Palisade just finished their Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker VLP, and I think it was great. It really showed all the various things to do in the game, and was almost 100% completion. Their humor and guests kept the slower parts of the game from becoming boring.

If you're one of those that skipped the Wind Waker, then you should definitely watch this LP.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Geekner posted:

Ambisagrus and A Wooden Palisade just finished their Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker VLP, and I think it was great. It really showed all the various things to do in the game, and was almost 100% completion. Their humor and guests kept the slower parts of the game from becoming boring.

If you're one of those that skipped the Wind Waker, then you should definitely watch this LP.

Fair warning: A Wooden Palisade tends to use crude jokes to get laughs.

Wogturt
Feb 6, 2009

This godless endeavor...

Major_JF posted:

Don't watch LP's. If you're concerned about crude jokes then might I suggest rooreelooo's family friendly nut's and bolt's LP. :D

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Major_JF posted:

Well there's your problem, you talk like a fag and your poo poo's all retarded.

Seriously though, is this really a legitamate complaint? I don't think I can count more than 10 or so LPs that didnt use "crude jokes" to get laughs. Hell, we used to have TaxidermistPasta go "friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family" for a whole video and people would gush about how great it is.

Anyway, for an actual recommendation I'd suggest checking out the Kirby's Canvas Curse LP It's an awesome game that's fun to watch. Lyrax knows how to play it well and isnt hindered by the fact that he has to use a mouse instead of a stylus to play. The game itself is very mellow and the LP is very enjoyable.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 18, 2009

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

TwoDayLife posted:

Well there's your problem, you talk like a fag and your poo poo's all retarded.

LP's are destined to devolve into a sort of gutterspeak slang of valley girl, hill billy and ebonics.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
What ever happened to that mirror's edge LP that chewbot posted in the sandcastle?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Mesothelioma posted:

What ever happened to that mirror's edge LP that chewbot posted in the sandcastle?

I think he's still working on it. You might want to ask in the Sandcastle though.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I need an easy to follow LP that'll help put me down (drat insomnia). Guava Moment's/Jade Star's uncut DefCon marathons were perfect for this with its surreal soundtrack, and catching up on the backstabbing I missed while unconscious was pretty easy with their edited content...

Raocow's stream-of-consciousness stuff sometimes works, it seems to shut off my brain (plus missing part of a Mario romhack is no big deal). The problem there is I always wake up right after the video's over (and Youtube videos are pretty drat short).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bellmaker posted:

I need an easy to follow LP that'll help put me down (drat insomnia). Guava Moment's/Jade Star's uncut DefCon marathons were perfect for this with its surreal soundtrack, and catching up on the backstabbing I missed while unconscious was pretty easy with their edited content...

Raocow's stream-of-consciousness stuff sometimes works, it seems to shut off my brain (plus missing part of a Mario romhack is no big deal). The problem there is I always wake up right after the video's over (and Youtube videos are pretty drat short).

Sonic 2006 might work for you. The videos are long and you certainly won't mind missing some of the gameplay.

• Locked thread