Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Nofehr posted:

Haha yes, I have figured out basic id3 tags. I'm pretty sure this is just a problem with whatever they did during the upgrade to itunes, and hopefully enough people will report it and it will be fixed. For now, i will have to listen to double discs out of order.

iTunes 9 did change the way it interprets tags and sorting, but this still sounds like something fixable. Maybe it is a bug, I don't know, but I'd keep poking around with sorting and tagging just to see if you can fix it on accident.

quote:

edit: also chrono trigger was a sweet game and all.... but the soundtrack...?

Sure, why not? It's nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nofehr
Sep 14, 2004
The Return of Noinche!
I'm also having a problem with adding multiple files/folders to itunes. Whenever I drag a multitude of folders or music files into the library to add them, it only adds the first one.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Zurich posted:

CoverScout is pretty awesome, it’s nice knowing all my album art is 500x500 :)

That program looks great, but $40 is a bit steep for a cover art manager.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

rckstar79 posted:

That program looks great, but $40 is a bit steep for a cover art manager.

And it looks like it's Mac only. Do Windows users get their own version?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Found my own iTunes 9 bug. If you play a track in Grid view, then switch to List view, List view will not mark the track as being played, even though it will highlight it. Simultaneously, if you play a track in List view, then switch to Grid view, the correct album will be selected but won't be marked as being played.

Playing a track in Cover Flow and then switching to List view shows the track as being played, but switching from Cover Flow to Grid view does not. Simultaneously, playing a track in Grid view and then switching to Cover Flow doesn't show the track as being played, even though it's highlighted.

Time to submit a bug, if I can find the place where you're supposed to do it.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Terpfen posted:

Time to submit a bug, if I can find the place where you're supposed to do it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

If you've got an ADC account (free):
https://bugreport.apple.com

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

Terpfen posted:

Right-click, two-finger click, or command-click a track, click Get Info, click the Artwork tab.

Zurich posted:

CoverScout

Stupid of me not to check the info box, thanks :)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Nofehr posted:

Didn't work. iTunes is still ignoring disc number (again, for example, it plays disc 1 track 1 then disc 2 track 2 then disc 2 track 2 then disc 1 track 2, based on the tracks alphabetical order.)

At least other people are having this problem, and hopefully enough people will speak up for this problem to be looked at.

I've filed bug reports, but I can't begin to tell you how much this pisses me off. I have a lot of live albums like this, but this one is the worst because it's 7 goddamned discs.

Click here for the full 1527x1058 image.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 15, 2009

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

chimz posted:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

If you've got an ADC account (free):
https://bugreport.apple.com

No ADC for me, unfortunately. But thanks, I'll use the feedback form. Here's hoping Apple actually reads the drat things.

noydb
Mar 23, 2007
I'm getting an iphone and wanted to start using itunes. I know that itunes manages cover art in its own way, however, I have meticulously embedded high quality album art (400^2 to 1000^2 pixels or so) to each file. Will itunes use this cover art automatically or will it use its own even if it's lower res?

American MacGay
Aug 25, 2009

noydb posted:

I'm getting an iphone and wanted to start using itunes. I know that itunes manages cover art in its own way, however, I have meticulously embedded high quality album art (400^2 to 1000^2 pixels or so) to each file. Will itunes use this cover art automatically or will it use its own even if it's lower res?
Read the last page.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

noydb posted:

The guy above me is right, but for an even snarkier answer:

Why don't you just download iTunes and find out for yourself?

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler
Does anyone have a problem with 9.0 not recognizing thier Ipod? I have an Ipod Touch that will not sync with Itunes at all. the previous version worked good enough but now the program hangs and wont sync.

noydb
Mar 23, 2007

xamphear posted:

The guy above me is right, but for an even snarkier answer:

Why don't you just download iTunes and find out for yourself?

Was just playing it safe, that's all. I didn't want my tags being rewritten without knowing and figured someone here would know.
Anyhow, everything is fine. Time to make some smart playlists now :)

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I wish so badly to be able to set different sync settings for different podcasts.

I'd like to sync the only the one most recent podcast for videos and the 3 most recent audio podcasts. Itunes doesn't help in this regard, is there an alternate way to do this that won't gently caress up/be gently caress up by Itunes?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

maniacripper posted:

I wish so badly to be able to set different sync settings for different podcasts.

I'd like to sync the only the one most recent podcast for videos and the 3 most recent audio podcasts. Itunes doesn't help in this regard, is there an alternate way to do this that won't gently caress up/be gently caress up by Itunes?

You should be able to do this with two smart playlists.

Playlist is Podcasts
Media Kind is Video
Limit to 1 selected by Most Recently Added.
Automatically update.

&

Playlist is Podcasts
Media Kind is Audio
Limit to 3 selected by Most Recently Added.
Automatically update.

Put these playlists in a folder, and then sync from that folder.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Thanks for the response, any chance that those settings were changed for Itunes 9? I'm not sure I have the same settings as you do.

I create a new play list folder locally through Itunes. Open it and create new smart playlist. I select "Playlist is" however podcasts is not on the menu to select as a modifier.

Click here for the full 598x614 image.

It is however a modifier under medai kind so I put that in trying to be proactive. however Media kind does not show up as a modifier under media kind:

Click here for the full 606x645 image.

Please have mercy on my nubile Itunes molesting ways, I've only ever right click/synced my Ipod and shopped free podcast at the Itunes store :(

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, I didn't actually create the playlist, I just assumed that would work. And now that I check it, no, it wouldn't work because Podcast doesn't show up in the Playlist condition either.

Well I'm guessing that you only have a few podcasts, so maybe you can just make a few conditions for the artist of those podcasts, and then it would all be basically the same until you subscribe to a new podcast.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just put new songs from the library onto my ipod and now itunes has deleted them from my hard drive. :(

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

A MIRACLE posted:

I just put new songs from the library onto my ipod and now itunes has deleted them from my hard drive. :(
Unlikely. They've either been renamed, moved, or both. Worst case, they'll be in your recycle bin (assuming Windows).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm on a mac, they were on an xternal hd, and they're gone.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm no iTunes fan, but I find it hard to believe that simply syncing some mp3s to your iPod would cause them to be deleted. That'd be one huge bug.

At any rate, there are programs that will let you get the songs back off of your iPod.

SineOtter
Feb 22, 2006
doot doot

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm on a mac, they were on an xternal hd, and they're gone.

Are they no longer in your Library, or are they not where they were on your external?

If they are still in your library, right click and pick "Show in Finder" and it should pull them right up.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xamphear posted:

I'm no iTunes fan, but I find it hard to believe that simply syncing some mp3s to your iPod would cause them to be deleted. That'd be one huge bug.

It's not like it's an undocumented issue.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

They are in the library, if I click "show in finder" it just puts an ! next to the track. they aren't in the finder directory.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Terpfen posted:

No ADC for me, unfortunately. But thanks, I'll use the feedback form. Here's hoping Apple actually reads the drat things.

If you create an account (5 minutes, tops) you can see if it's marked as a duplicate, and if it isn't a dupe, you can see when it's fixed. Also check out Open Radar, where you should file it and keep the status updated so people outside of The Mothership can see what's up with it: http://openradar.appspot.com/

Edit: For example, here's the 'Album by Year is broken' bug, which is a duplicate, meaning they know about it already: http://openradar.appspot.com/7220029

Captain Riggs
Nov 15, 2003

I'll draw his fire and you run for cover!
Hope this hasn't been posted, but is there any way to actually remove duplicate songs automatically instead of just displaying them in a giant list and manually selecting every-other one?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

chimz posted:

If you create an account (5 minutes, tops) you can see if it's marked as a duplicate, and if it isn't a dupe, you can see when it's fixed. Also check out Open Radar, where you should file it and keep the status updated so people outside of The Mothership can see what's up with it: http://openradar.appspot.com/

Edit: For example, here's the 'Album by Year is broken' bug, which is a duplicate, meaning they know about it already: http://openradar.appspot.com/7220029

That's a numerous amount of hoops to jump through just to file a bug that should (hopefully) have already been registered through the feedback form.

But what the hell.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm having a problem with last.fm and iTunes. Whenever I rate a song and last.fm is running, it immediately starts to scrobble from the beginning again. Is there any way to stop this or do I just have to put up with it then go and manually delete the duplicates from my listening history?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's experienced this:

I used to listen to podcasts and audiobooks both on my computer, and on my iPod Touch 2nd Gen. However, a synchronization issue has prevented me from using my computer:

I listen to an audiobook through iTunes, and get to chapter 3 (for example).

I sync it with my iPod touch, so both versions are at Chapter 3.

I listen to the iPod touch, and get to Chapter 5.

I synch again with iTunes. Instead of synching the iTunes version to Chapter 5 as I expect, both versions are synched to Chapter 3.

Something like this happens whenever I listen to any file that iTunes is instructed to keep its place on with iTunes. If I want to synch the iPod in the midst of listening to an audiobook or podcast, I can't listen to it at all in iTunes, if I want to contiue where I left off without trouble.

Windows XP, iTunes 9. iPod Touch 2nd Gen on iPhone OS 3.1. I /think/ this has been happening since upgrading to iPhone OS 3.0, but am unsure.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm having an issue with iTunes 9 with the new App customization thing. Since my iPod is having issues downloading large apps, I downloaded what I wanted to get via iTunes and transferred my apps over so I could sync it and put the app on. (Why iTunes won't let you drag and drop, I have no idea :argh:) Anyway, I check the "sync" box, and it completely rearranges all my apps and unchecks random ones. All the apps on my iPod are also on my PC.

Unchecked:

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

Right after I check it:

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

Now, I _really_ don't want to have to rearrange my apps, especially since all of the apps on the iPod are also on my PC. I'm kinda used to the way I have things sorted. Is there any way to make iTunes sync my apps while retaining the arrangement I already have? Also, why are random apps not selected for syncing?

2nd gen iPod Touch 3.1.1, Windows 7, iTunes 9

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iTunes 9 seems to have changed the zoom button so you have to option-click it to switch to the mini player; without option it now behaves the same as every other Mac app's zoom button. Is there a way to get the old behavior back?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

haveblue posted:

iTunes 9 seems to have changed the zoom button so you have to option-click it to switch to the mini player; without option it now behaves the same as every other Mac app's zoom button. Is there a way to get the old behavior back?

Install 9.0.1

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL927

[quote="Apple Support"]
iTunes 9.0.1 provides a number of important bug fixes, including:

Resolves issues browsing the iTunes Store.
Addresses a performance issue where iTunes may become unresponsive.
Fixes a problem where iTunes may unexpectedly quit.
Fixes a problem syncing Podcasts in playlists to iPod or iPhone.
Fixes a problem sorting albums with multiple discs.
Addresses an issue with the Zoom button not switching to Mini Player.
Improves application syncing for iPod touch and iPhone.
Genius is now automatically updated to show Genius Mixes.
[quote]

Thank god for all of these.

For those who like the dumb zoom feature:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes zoom-to-window -bool true

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Since I've upgraded to 9 and now 9.0.1 the media keys on my keyboard won't control itunes unless I'm looking at itunes directly. This never used to happen and is sort of a pain. Any idea what's up? I googled but to no avail.

E: This is on a PC btw.

E2: I killed media player via task manager and it seems to work now. Weird. I hope I don't have to do that every time.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 23, 2009

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Independence posted:

Does anyone have a problem with 9.0 not recognizing thier Ipod? I have an Ipod Touch that will not sync with Itunes at all. the previous version worked good enough but now the program hangs and wont sync.

The first time I sync'd my Touch (2g) with 9.0, iTunes hung and didn't sync. So, I rebooted my Touch, tried again, and it worked. I assume you tried that?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Eh, I do have to kill media player every time I start up or the keys don't work with itunes. Is there any way to stop this? It never used to happen. Why is media player even open on start-up?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I installed iTunes and opened it and it scoured my computer to find movies and songs to add. It added a bunch of crap that I don't really want in iTunes to begin with.

Is there an easy way to 'start over' and just erase everything (from iTunes, not deleting the actual files), so that I can add things manually?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Todd Flanders posted:

I installed iTunes and opened it and it scoured my computer to find movies and songs to add. It added a bunch of crap that I don't really want in iTunes to begin with.

Is there an easy way to 'start over' and just erase everything (from iTunes, not deleting the actual files), so that I can add things manually?
Select all files in your library and delete them? This doesnt delete them from your harddrive.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

Select all files in your library and delete them? This doesnt delete them from your harddrive.

It'll ask, but just say to keep the files or whatever the option is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

IUG posted:

It'll ask, but just say to keep the files or whatever the option is.

It just gave me the option to remove, but it was removing from iTunes, not removing as in deleting (which is what I thought it meant). Thanks.