Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
get the shield, get up close with the assault. As a hiver Rat will be used to working with a lot of cover, and would be well suited to close confines - assuming he gets that far. and if agoraphobia kicks in he can stick the shield over his head :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My vote is for grabbing the shield and going hand-to-hand. Rat has a goddamn entrenching tool. If it's good enough for Green Berets in good ol' 1989, it's good enough for Imperial Guardsmen in the 40th Millenia. :colbert:

As for the chainsword, well, Commissars tend to carry them, and everyone knows how often the Commissariat loses men in combat conditions. :ese:

3 Sided Die
Jan 24, 2009

Yeah, grab that shield and get up close, wreck poo poo up close and personal.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Get the shield, then save for a chainsword or something.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
998.301.M39
His Wraths Inescapability
Camp Follower Hangar

You study the squat, cigar-smoking figure carefully. Nallani dogma states that, while they must be tolerated for the imperial and Mechanicus war effort, abhumans are an abomination and must atone for their sins. This guy seems on the level, though, and an abhuman never did anything to you, did they?

At your inquiry, Vrokvrok bangs the shield with a club. "Armaplas, that. Perfect for close quarters, can even stop a shell if you angle it right". He twists it slightly, pointing the main deflective surface upwards. "Has taken a few to be sure, so it's only 25 for you. Frag, I'll throw in a holster so you can draw that knife of yours quickly. Having it in your boot won't do if your hand weapon gets stuck, now will it? Haw haw."

You pay Vrokvrok, strap on the holster, and add the shield to your drop gear back at the barracks. While there you add the Mk. 9-70 Entrenching Tool to the bundle as well. You recall Corporal Tilla saying we could need a bomb hole on short notice, and if your other weapons don't own up it looks like it could crack some skulls proper.

On your way to the drop you see Steelbreaker, and inform him of your choice to transfer. He looks as if he's about to laugh, but stops short of a cruel sneer. "You're exactly the kind of man they need at Command. Cpl. Tilla and Troopers Intius and Trantor have 'volunteered' as well," - you don't like the way he says it - "so just follow them and report to Drop Hangar IV where 1st platoon leaves." You fall in with the others, and quickly introduce yourself to your new squad, 5th Squad, 1st Platoon, 6th Company. There's Sergeant Regis, a burly factoryman you recognize as being of Clan Havelock like you. He's a reassuring presence, looking like he could split a crane in two with his axe and bicep alone. Tilla, Intius and Trantor are mates of yours, solid squaddies who are sharp with a sword in hand, and then there's Flavia with the grenade launcher (her cheeks are branded with criminal markings, not that this lowers your estimate of her) and Meton with the heavy machine gun. Trooper Zane, known as "Stub" he informs you, offers you a lho stick; and the other two don't really stand out in your memory, anxious as you are to get on with it.

The drop pods look as if they have seen better days, as they have been squashed by some sort of old battle trauma.. or perhaps they were designed by a stimm junkie. Cramped compartments fit ten men and gear, plus a servitor slaved to the shipboard cogitator engine. You get in without further ceremony, strap properly in, and wait for the drop to start. The doors close with a hiss, and klaxons start wailing outside. A cold mechanical voice (the servitor, likely) starts counting down, and on "descent" you feel the pod lurch heavily before Zero-G asserts itself and you glide through space. Small bolts, bits of rubbish and old ammunition shells float in graceful arcs through the air, and the squad seems relax a bit. Before the chatting starts Sgt. Regis cuts through.

"This is a combat drop. We don't know how close to the front we'll land, so you may have to come out shooting. You new people better have the small tactics down cold, 'cause I don't wanta miss a single las-bolt when we set up, allright. The penal dogs have landed before us, so we should have some respite to attack the rural district we land in, and.."

The rest is lost in a horrible blast of noise, and the powerful shaking leaves no room for listening or thoughts as the pod enters the atmosphere. The walls become uncomfortably hot, and the shaking becomes nearly unbearable, but you manage to stay from retching. Good thing too, no one wants to fight fatigued. After an uncertain amount of time passes - in the area of twenty minutes - the juddering stops, and bright light comes through the two small viewports in the drop pod.

The servitor pipes in. "Prepare for impact". You note that the only protected seat in the pod is the one the servitor sits in. You'd be bitter about the relative price of your life compared to the servitor in the Munitorums judgment, if you did not have other things on your mind.

Everyone looks a little bit lost. Regis breaks the silence again "This is it, arm your guns." - You comply, the whirr of the charge pack gearing up calms your nerves a bit - "Listen, when we hit the ground, just rem.."

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Everything goes black.

998.301.M39
Surface of UH69 II

You come to, having no idea how long you were out. Probably just a short while. The force of impact have torn the doors off the drop pod and shredded part of the walls. All around you hear the crack of las-guns and hollow roars of grenade explosions. Trying to get your bearings you see the mangled corpse of Guardsman Meton half embedded in the broken wall - so much for supressing fire support. Several las-bolts streak towards you, and you quickly duck.

You wipe his blood off your boot on a door section and look up. You see the attack under way. Scattered groups of penal legionnaries fire at a distant line that returns lasfire and the occasional missile or machine gun salvo, while the battered 1st platoon tries to assemble its squads around the company banner. A gibbering penal trooper runs away from the front in panic, and with a sudden dull 'Tchunk' he disintegrates in a shower of bloody giblets across a ruined wall section. From beyond your field of vision stood a Commissar, holding a smoking bolt pistol. "Your lack of faith sickens me!" he growls, before advancing towards the front line. You feel a horrible cold sensation in the back of your head, as if this reminds you of something. You file it away for consideration in a more calm setting.

You consider making for the company banner, but this is not to be. Sgt. Regis clambers over the wreckage, grinning like a madman. You don't back down. So far you've seen worse in your life, and if Regis is mad, so be it. You're all mad to do this, after all.

"We made it. Hah! The Leftenant wants the first storehouse cleared so we can get the other platoons down without being raked by that". He points at an incoming arc of tracer fire, and you all duck to avoid being struck. "You up for it?" He asks, holding a "Krak" door breaching grenade towards you. You could say no, as he did not phrase it as an order - on the other hand, the remaints of the penal legion company doesn't seem good for much but dying, judging from the hundreds of bodies lining the ground, and charging the house could be a better option than sitting here waiting for reinforcements.

You look at Cpl. Tilla, who shrugs and draws his sword. The other surviving squad members are still in the process of salvaging their gear.

((Shield & transfer wins, incorpoated entrenching tool suggestion. We made a toughness check inside the drop pod, dodged incoming fire a couple times, and we have an allright initiative score. Having seen the future in our warp-vision, the drop and combat shock is not so bad, and incur only one further Insanity Point.

What should we do now?

Also, Blade_of_tyshalle, I don't know whether to be scared for our characters survival or commend you for excellent roleplaying :) You can indeed attempt to shiv a commissar in my game, but keep the realism concept in mind. It might work easily or not at all.))

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 21, 2009

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Take the Krak and tell the others to give covering fire. While I use my shield and haul rear end to the door slapping the Krak onto it as quick as possible. If I make it I will roll away from the door and blast to hopefully not get injured. Ohh and use my gun to take pot shots while running.

" FOR THE EMPEROR!!!!! "

(If i can find my Imperial infantry mans uplifting primor i will start using qoutes from it)

wjs5 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 21, 2009

Tias
May 25, 2008

Well, our man Zetkin is not the most pious trooper on record, but he does know his way around the practical part of the primer.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
What I ment by that is that GW actually printed some and they are/used to be available to buy.... as in hold it in hand while playing DH.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Duty calls! In the interests of getting more semi-friendly bodies on the field that aren't dead and broken, we must charge that position with our able comrades and take it out! And nix on the shivving a commisar just yet, let's wait till there's one that pisses us off personally/we're more jaded and battle-worn.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"FOR THE EMPEROR!" I take a low stance, cover up with the shield and throw my lasgun over the top SWAT style and follow Cpl. Tilla into hell, trying my best to cover him while he moves up and plants the grenade. Once the grenade is down I stack up around the side of the door, just like training, wait for it to blow and start clearing the place.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Seeing as we don't have a lot of regular voters, I get the idea that we are generally for taking the dare and storming the enemy position. We must agree on whether Quint does it, or let someone else do it and provide a gun/sword assist instead.

Also, since we are now nearing a situation that could end in sudden and horrible death, let me just talk a bit about FATE points:

Fate points (of which Quint has three) can be spent in two ways in the Dark Heresy rule.

- To provide a temporary advantage, in which case one point 'greys out' and cannot be used again the next 24 hours. This can be used to achieve first initiative, re-roll a failed test, and a number of other awesome things. I will generally spend one in situations of great importance for Quint, such as missing to dodge a powerful attack or when failing to hit a potent enemy.

- A fate point can be removed PERMANENTLY to save Quint from death or serious injury, no matter how certain said death or injury is. Gibbed by artillery, sucked out an airlock, head eaten by daemon, a fate point will save him either from the killing instant, or from the entire combat. Instant just means he stays at 0 wounds and is close to death, which means he could die or get crippled from the next thing to hit him. Using one for the entire combat generally means he is whisked away by allies, buried under some convenient rubble, or otherwise saved. It doesn't guarentee that he does not suffer lasting wounds, goes insane from the experience or other associated nastiness, just that he survives the critical he suffered without stated effects. Doing this means he has less re-rolls per 24 hours and as such is serious business - it is, essentially, what places our hero apart from the run and mill of the Imperium. He is destined for greater things.

In this particular CYOA, there are other effects:

- A fate point can be removed to change the story arc. When this is possible, dark storm clouds will gather over the area (or, if inside, I will notify you in some other way), and only if something is about to happen that will affect Quint for the long term.

- Every other fate point spent to cheat death will kill someone we know and care about.

Edit: Also note that truly courageous or heroic actions - NOT stupid ones - can result in gaining a permanent fate point, so it is possible to get them back.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
(Yeah I gmed DH once upon a time =) its great fun if you can gm=/. I am a horrible GM but I know so much about 40k that I can kind of pull it off. Does this count as herioc? I mean this position MUST be taken or the whole attack will falter and we do have that shield thingy as much as it will or not help.)

" The Emperor Protects " Lets take that Krak and blow the frak outta the door show that commissar whats up...... shank him when no one is watching and steal his goodies.

(wish i had the books here with me at work so i could look up what they have)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm not demolition trained and Cpl. Tilla seems to know his poo poo, let him set it up.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zetkin has a shield. Advance with it, attempting to cover both yourself and Tilla, who seems ready for CC.

Oh, and quickly scrounge for some spare ammo clips from the dead guys around you. They're not using it anymore. The Emperor Provides.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

cover you and tilla, help him get in in there

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Take that Krak grenade and blow the everliving feth out of the enemy yourself. Death or glory in the emperors name.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Whoah there guys! Remember, this isn't a narrative CYOA, there are actual combat rules under the hood here. If we constantly volunteer for the most dangerous assignment we're gonna be another teardrop in the Emperor's friggin chalice before too long.

Keep that shield up and focus on covering Tilla.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Liberal_L33t posted:

Whoah there guys! Remember, this isn't a narrative CYOA, there are actual combat rules under the hood here. If we constantly volunteer for the most dangerous assignment we're gonna be another teardrop in the Emperor's friggin chalice before too long.

Keep that shield up and focus on covering Tilla.

As stated in the OP, this game focuses on the REALISTIC life of a conscript in the Imperial Guard. The only thing that is keeping Quint alive to become a seasoned vet with a snowball's chance in hell of dealing with life on the 39th milleniums battlefields are Fate Points and you maintaining some semblance of common sense on his behalf.

Update tomorrow morning my time, which means in about 12-13 hours.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I change my vote to using the shield to help cover tilla and to assist in providing covering fire. I get a little overzealous when it comes to smiting heretics, Ordo Hereticus for MEEEEE.

wjs5 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 21, 2009

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

Zodiac5000 posted:

Take that Krak grenade and blow the everliving feth out of the enemy yourself. Death or glory in the emperors name.

krak is for heavy armour

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Or doors and everyone behind them

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

ya, just thought it would be a waste on open positions should they arise

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I say volunteer, but keeping our head down after this might be a good idea.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Do as much as you can to look cool (ie volunteer to go along), but as little of putting yourself in harms way as you can for now (ie jumping on a grenade).

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

ya, just thought it would be a waste on open positions should they arise

Eh im not sure what your saying here Krak grenades are used to bust things open. They have I think it is frag grenades for tossing into positions to kill people. Sadly they are not good for knocking down doors. We need to get in as fast as possible outside is death. Yet agian i wish I had my book I would post the stats on both grenade types. Of course a melta would be soooooooo much better =). Once we get in we have a shotty and they are fun times if they dont jam.

wjs5 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 21, 2009

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I figured as we were offered a door breaching krak charge and a storehouse needed to be breached, that there were doors and enemies and we should blow the everliving feth out of them. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I figure Zetkin goes for the gusto due to a careful, calculated analysis of the situation.

Just crawled out of a crash, narrowly escaping death. A Commissar is gunning down a soldier who is decidedly NOT Rat Zetkin, Emperor be praised. :colbert: Staying in a position under fire is a losing proposition, with almost certain death the result. Storming the fortified position behind a shield, with a teammate to help bust skulls? Likely death, but maybe a chance to get his loving head together in the formerly-occupied charnel house and figure a way out of this insanity.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't have my books here, so another hour or two till the update - thanks for sticking with me, and I hope you like it so far :)

Edit: And for those in doubt, yes, it does appear that Regis wants you to breach a fortified building, and yes, there does appear to be enemies in it, since the Lietenant believe said building stalls the advance.

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 22, 2009

Tias
May 25, 2008

Truly sorry about the wait, closed for update - it'll come in about an hour tops.

Tias
May 25, 2008

998.301.M39
Surface of UH69 II

You look at the grenade, then reluctantly take it. "I've never used one of these, just thrown frags back in basic. Tilla?". "I'll plant it" the corporal growls, then receives the charge. "Can we get some backup on it, though?" he asks Sgt. Regis.

While they hold a short conversation you snag two lasgun charge packs from dead penal legionnaires. Not like they'll be using them, is it now?

After a fashion, the sergeant nods. "I'll storm the place with you. Flavia! Get grenades uprange. Intius, Stub, Zerx, Trantor, semi-auto at that storehouse on my mark. NOW".

The charge is almost like being in a dream. An almost tangible heat from 5-10 las bolts can be felt close by as your squad lets the rebels have it, and not long after a fragmentation grenade from your squad explodes right in front of you! You all hunker down but no one was hurt, thank His benevolence. You resolve to have "a word" with Flavia if you both make it back, but quickly file off the thought to concentrate on the task at hand. Tilla pulls your arm, shouting something you can't make out, but the meaning is clear enough. As you advance, you notice a creeping fear getting to you - The wide, open expanse of gray-blue skies looms everywhere, with not a single wall or hab-dome roof in sight.. Just as the crippling sense of agoraphobia is about to render you lame with panic, you grit your teeth and shut it out - no way in blazes are you going to die here before you get a shot off!

You're not twenty metres from the storehouse when a withering hail of automatic shells rake your team! You dodge with the speed born of a life of unrest, but Tilla is struck in the calf and rolls under a ditch, cursing his luck. He seems allright. Regis pulls you off and under a demolished wall section. Without comment, he rips the split out of a fragmentation grenade and lobs it at the storehouse. There is not a clear line of sight, but it explodes somewhere in front, and when it does you, Regis and Tilla move for the door. Training lasguns at nearby windows and corners, you let Tilla fix the door charge, silently praying he knows what he's doing.

As Tilla stands back and signals for you to get ready, you mull over the options you have when the door blows:
- Shield and sword. The armaplas shield is ideal for turning away enemy blows if you can close fast enough, and you know you are lethal with a sword .
- Shotgun. You only get two shots before you have to strike enemies with the buttstock or draw other weapons, but with Tilla and Regis on your side it is probably enough.
- Lasgun. The lasgun is semi-automatic and has a full complement of sixty shots, meaning you won't run dry, and you can always wing people with the stock if you have to?
- Other option (sword and laspistol, waiting for the others to charge, something else entirely?)

((Well, here we are! We failed the fear test at being outside for the first time in our life by so many degrees it'd have rendered Quint nearly catatonic, so I spent a fate point and then we made it. Dodge checks worked out once again and we somehow sidestepped a full auto burst from a machine gun!

What is Quint to do now?))

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
We can bash enemies with the shield or whip someone with a laspistol, right? If we can, I suggest shield and laspistol.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Agreeing here. Shield and laspistol are the way to go.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

Shield and Laspistol, we can go at the front to provide cover maybe as well?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Point man is a sure way to get killed, unless you're told point, hang back a bit and go shield and laspistol since a sword may not be ideal in such close confines.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Assuming his shield is like a modern-day riot shield, I suggest moving into the room using the shield as a cover for your small three-man fireteam. Zetkin is the cover provider, Tilla and Regis behind him and to each side with shotguns or lasrifles. Keep a pistol in hand in case things get hairy, but Zetkin shouldn't have to break defense.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Rules-wise, a shield does NOT provide cover against enemy fire. I'm not sure why this is so (it provides +15 to parry checks against enemy melee attacks), but since it's an exciting plan I am willing to rule that it will shield your arm and body with 4 extra Armor Points* if you want to go first and try and shield your team (note that any enemies packing firearms will have to fire at you if you go point since you're the closest target). If you want to go this route, please change your vote accordingly. I'll update in a couple hours if time permits!

* 4 AP for your armor + 4 AP for shield + 2 soak points for toughness bonus means the enemy will have to beat 10 points to even hurt Quint superficially, and most firearms do around 1d10 +2 damage if the guys inside even succeed in hitting us, so it's a pretty safe plan. At most he gets grazed unless there's some truly heavy heat inside.

Edit: And yes, Liberal_L33t, both the shield and las pistol can be used as melee weapons, but are piss poor. They do even less damage than, for example, entrenching tools and rifle butts. Still, they can hurt people in a pinch if the user is strong enough.

Extra edit: I like how tacticLOL this is getting :) Now you're thinking like guardsmen!

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 22, 2009

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I like the pointman with shield idea, but I say keep the sword out. We're in a building, both the guys with us have guns out, so lets play to our strengths and just stab anybody who doesn't get mowed down by our squadmates.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shield and lazpistol. I think though that the shield probably won't take too much damage though, maybe a shot or two of any laz weapon and one tops of a shotgun shell before it becomes useless unless I'm mistaken.

In the future, perhaps we should saw off the barrel of the shotgun in order to have a room sweeping weapon while still being able to wield the shield. Is our hero strong enough for that?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Shield and sword. You take out anyone who is within reach, your squadmates kill the people in the rest of the room. If there is an interior door, rush for it and stand by, ready to make a second breach and/or kill any reinforcements who try to come in from other areas of the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Shield and sword "Death to the heretic"

• Locked thread