Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Octal posted:

There's gotta be something to make it stop losing the forums, I'm getting pissed now. It's not like we get new forums every day, there should be a button to update it and it should be mostly static. I just want my favorites to stay the same really.

The first time I visit any thread it all comes back. I also use lots of bookmarks and go to my User CP to look at bookmarked threads first thing when I open the forums.

It's annoying that they disappear sure, but doing it this way makes the pinned forums in the SALR menu come back before I actually go to use them.

e. threadcount/40 = whole number; post.by = pik_d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Will advanced thread filtering ever work again? It's been not working for me now for about 10 months.

HEY MAN TV ON PC
Jul 14, 2009
Lately I've been having the "forumz r gone frum menu" problem. Like everyone else, it appeared randomly. What's this about the Posting Gloryhole? What it do, how it work :downs:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

HEY MAN TV ON PC posted:

Lately I've been having the "forumz r gone frum menu" problem. Like everyone else, it appeared randomly. What's this about the Posting Gloryhole? What it do, how it work :downs:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=5&t_forumid=0&all=#jump

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

It's been doing this intermittently for years and no one can figure out why. It'll be fine for months, completely inexplicably start doing this to a few or most users for a day or a week, and then equally inexplicably clear up and be fine again for an indefinite period.

There should be a manual update button and maybe an only update manually option.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Elendil004 posted:

Still losing bookmarks on editing a thread :(

I've resigned to the point of needing to constantly hit bookmark thread after any editing of a post.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
This thread confuses me; I've edited posts today and haven't had my thread be unbookmarked, nor have I lost the thread list. :confused:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Golbez posted:

This thread confuses me; I've edited posts today and haven't had my thread be unbookmarked, nor have I lost the thread list. :confused:

Are you using SALR's quick edit?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

KGBAgent185 posted:

Are you using SALR's quick edit?

I think I am. Testing. Yep, still says "unbookmark" at the bottom, and still in my control panel.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Golbez posted:

I think I am. Testing. Yep, still says "unbookmark" at the bottom, and still in my control panel.

Do you have SALR set to automatically subscribe threads you post in?

e. testing with that on.

e. testing w. off

e. when on, threads stay bookmarked. when off, threads disappear.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

pik_d posted:

Do you have SALR set to automatically subscribe threads you post in?

e. testing with that on.

e. testing w. off

e. when on, threads stay bookmarked. when off, threads disappear.

Theoretically yes, but I can't find that option in the SALR setup. Where is it?

Running 1.99.090721 on Firefox 3.5.3.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 13, 2009

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

It's under "Quick Reply" in the SALR setup menu.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

pik_d posted:

It's under "Quick Reply" in the SALR setup menu.

Duh, right in front of me. Yes, it's enabled. And threads I reply to are autosubscribed.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Golbez posted:

Duh, right in front of me. Yes, it's enabled. And threads I reply to are autosubscribed.

This would explain why you notice any threads lost then. They are lost but then re-subscribed to immediately.

Edit: testing non-quick edit.

E2. Ya, still lost when "Subscribe" isn't checked.

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled
I am also having the problem where the various forums aren't displayed in the salr menu, but this happens even with GBS set as my homepage, which I thought might fix it.

Also, is the "Visit a forum to reload list" item meant to actually do anything? If not, can I suggest that it be made to take you to the posting gloryhole or whereever?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ooh, that's interesting. It fixes when I visit a thread, but *not* when I visit a forum. I wonder why, as they both have the "Please select one:" list of forums at the bottom, which is where I thought SALR picked stuff up from.

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003
I've been having the same problem (no forums appearing in the menu), and up until today it was fixing itself by just navigating to a thread. Today however, it isn't fixing itself at all no matter what I do.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BrutusBeefcake posted:

I've been having the same problem (no forums appearing in the menu), and up until today it was fixing itself by just navigating to a thread. Today however, it isn't fixing itself at all no matter what I do.

Go to the posting gloryhole and click around in the various stats pages until your forums list returns.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

fishmech posted:

Go to the posting gloryhole and click around in the various stats pages until your forums list returns.
I just go to User Control Panel and click on my bookmarked thread when it happens to me. It'd be nice if the menu item that says "Visit a forum to populate list" or whatever actually took you to directly to the gloryhole, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone have any trouble installing SALR with Windows 7? I upgraded yesterday, newest version of firefox and tried downloading the SALR, it says I have to restart firefox...I do, but the extension is nowhere to be found...

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Medullah posted:

Anyone have any trouble installing SALR with Windows 7? I upgraded yesterday, newest version of firefox and tried downloading the SALR, it says I have to restart firefox...I do, but the extension is nowhere to be found...
I'm running Windows 7 x64 and Firefox 3.5.3 with SALR. Never noticed any issues, short of the jump list problem that everyone is having right now.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Looks like the menu problem is caused by the YOSPOS title (possibly the em-dash); open saforumlist.xml and delete it and restart Firefox and the menu will be back. YOSPOS ruins everything

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 17, 2009

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Volte posted:

Looks like the menu problem is caused by the YOSPOS title (possibly the em-dash); open saforumlist.xml and delete it and restart Firefox and the menu will be back. YOSPOS ruins everything

Uh I can't find this

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

Uh I can't find this
In Windows 7 it's in c:\users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles, then whatever folder your profile info is in. Probably default if you don't run different profiles. I can confirm it works also. I just deleted the subtitle of YOSPOS and the list sticks around like it should.

E: Never mind, the forum name reverted back. My list is broken again.

bunky fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 17, 2009

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Volte posted:

That didn't work for me.

Cuddly Dan
Jul 6, 2005
Hugs are kewl! <3
The problem is that the dash is improperly encoded in the forum's HTML, so when the forumTitle in addForums() is saved to saforumlist.xml, it causes the saforumlist.xml to be invalid. The next time saforumlist.xml is read (e.g. the next time you start up Firefox), the XML parser throws a "not well-formed" error and refuses to load the doc.

The fix is some mix of sanitizing and encoding, if someone wants to run with this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My forums list hasn't gone missing since like March so I don't think YOSPOS is causing the problem.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I didn't mean to imply that it will fix the issue. Every time you view a thread it will gently caress up again. But I think it is the cause (or at least one cause), for some people anyway. It's happening to me on two systems, one OS X and one Win7, so I wouldn't guess it to be anything on the system.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I hate to be a whiner, but I disabled SALR a few months back while I was dealing with some bad extensions to prevent issues, and just realized I had forgotten to enable it again :(

Does the quick reply/quote window work again yet without surprise unbookmarking? I dunno, the forums themselves just do so much of the heavy lifting now I'm trying to figure out what to use SALR for. No offense meant, but it because an honest curiosity.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

skywalker6705 posted:

I hate to be a whiner, but I disabled SALR a few months back while I was dealing with some bad extensions to prevent issues, and just realized I had forgotten to enable it again :(

Does the quick reply/quote window work again yet without surprise unbookmarking? I dunno, the forums themselves just do so much of the heavy lifting now I'm trying to figure out what to use SALR for. No offense meant, but it because an honest curiosity.

If you edit a post with quick edit and don't have the "Subscribe" box checked you will lose the thread in your bookmarks, however, I'm pretty sure the same holds true for normal editing so :confused:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
When you click the post count of a thread, there's a list of "users of interest" at the top.

What makes these users interesting?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Usually it's people that are in your custom user highlighting, but I have two in the "persons of interest" from this thread that aren't in my custom highlighting :crossarms:

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that I'm one of them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Carnivean posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that I'm one of them.

Actually, you are, but I don't know why. I have never highlighted any poster.

Weird.

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot
It's because I was a mod.

HEY MAN TV ON PC
Jul 14, 2009
YOSPOS changed their title, and now my list stays after relaunching. :slick:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I had an idea for the unused down gesture: Refresh Thread.

It's good for fast paced threads, but other than that I have no idea what else it would be used for. :v:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

IT WORKS

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Is there a way to get SALR to recognize the timecodes that people sometime add to their youtube links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
Search the forums from the SA menu and the link at the top of the forums go to two different places.

The forums one works and the menu one does not.

• Locked thread