Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Minges posted:

The Throwback!

right?

Sort of, except the Mr. Perfect one, the opponent is seated. The throwback, the opponent is standing, bent over forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Was heel J.R. as bad as they say?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

quote:

Hornswoggle, a dwarf

leprechaun :mad:

Jack Krauser posted:

Yeah pretty much. Although there were some high points like JR telling off Vince and kicking Michael Cole in the nuts.

Is there a gif of Cole getting kicked in the nuts by JR cause there should be.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrBling posted:

Wouldn't a somersault neck breaker be a buff blockbuster?
If it was from the top rope on a standing opponent.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Jack Krauser posted:

It wasn't bad so much as everyone felt bad for him, hated Michael Cole, and recognized him as the best announcer in the business, so he was a sympathetic babyface to the fans. His heel promos were fine but nobody was going to be willing to boo him.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

This sort of nonsense is why the WH2K wiki needs more love.

car that he wasn't aloud to drive

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Has Kane ever tapped out?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

The A-Team Van posted:

Has Kane ever tapped out?

I remember him tapping out to Benoit back in 04

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Dylar Addict posted:

Yeah, it was during the whole thing with Lita. I remember her coming out after the match and attacking him so he would chokeslam her and kill the baby.

That was a fun angle.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
I guess I can throw this here:

Are we doing a WH2K Secret Santa this year?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I'd probably be down.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Dylar Addict posted:

Outside of that, were there any other instances?

Crate!
Nov 4, 2005

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Who wants a breadmaker

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I'll participate, if we do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I'm in.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm in, even if I won't get the present till April :)

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
Okay, what the gently caress was up with the "Yettay" At Halloween Havoc. And who was it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PlasticSpoon posted:

Okay, what the gently caress was up with the "Yettay" At Halloween Havoc. And who was it?

Ron Reese, later of Raven's Flock fame.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CubsWoo posted:

Bullshit. Since SummerSlam 2006 he's:

- Beat Vince + Shane
- Beat Vince + Shane + Big Show
- Lost to Orton + Edge
- Won Survivor Series match vs. Team Rated-RKO
- No-Contest vs. Orton + Edge
- Final elimination of the Rumble by Taker
- Beat Batista + Taker
- Lost to Cena
- Lost to Cena
- Lost to Orton
- Beat Orton
- Lost to Orton
- Beat Kennedy
- Eliminated in the Rumble by Kennedy after eliminating Taker
- Lost Elimination Chamber match to HHH
- Retired Ric Flair
- Beat Batista
- Beat Jericho
- Lost to Batista
- Lost to Jericho
- Beat Jericho
- Lost to Jericho
- Won Survivor Series match vs. Team JBL
- Beat JBL
- Lost to Undertaker
- Beat Legacy
- Lost to Legacy
- Beat Legacy
- Lost Bragging Rights match

The only people he puts over are already main-event talent. In the end, Legacy wasn't elevated much, if at all, by the win over DX (since it was sandwiched between 2 losses) and now they're losing to Henry and MVP on RAW while HBK gets another title match/possible feud with HHH coming up. Put him in a program with Swagger and have him lose the feud definitively and we'll talk about him putting talent over.

I just hard to address the stupidity in this post: You don't have to maintain a long feud with someone to put them over. HBK has worked with guys well below his main event level and made them look drat good. The problem is that to smarks if he ain't losing or running long feuds with them then it doesn't count.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Judakel posted:

I just hard to address the stupidity in this post: You don't have to maintain a long feud with someone to put them over. HBK has worked with guys well below his main event level and made them look drat good. The problem is that to smarks if he ain't losing or running long feuds with them then it doesn't count.

He made Masters look good. I didn't think that was possible.

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009
I'm in for Secret Santa. It'll be one of the like 2 gifts I get that isn't from myself.

gently caress I'm a loser :|

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Judakel posted:

So in your eyes, having a match with somebody that isn't a complete squash is "putting someone over?" because Hogan didn't squash Kidman and still buried the guy.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I'm in for secret santa even though I have no money until mid January. gently caress being a student again.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

So in your eyes, having a match with somebody that isn't a complete squash is "putting someone over?" because Hogan didn't squash Kidman and still buried the guy.

Who's HBK burying?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I could maybe do secret Santa, though it's likely the postage will be horrendous.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Pneub posted:

Who's HBK burying?

To be fair, DX kind of buried legacy.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

yeah cuz being in a feud where HHH couldn't handle them at all where dx and legacy traded wins back and forth and the only way DX could handle them was defeating them in a HIAC match is totally the definition of burying them, and now Legacy is on the exact same level they were on before the feud with DX.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

grody but still def posted:

yeah cuz being in a feud where HHH couldn't handle them at all where dx and legacy traded wins back and forth and the only way DX could handle them was defeating them in a HIAC match is totally the definition of burying them, and now Legacy is on the exact same level they were on before the feud with DX.

Well....

I don't think DX buried Legacy, but...

The match where HHH 'couldn't handle' Legacy ended with HHH on the mat, talking into a microphone going 'oh man you guys are so good I guess I'm not tough oh welp welp' and I mean, it didn't seem very sincere.

Then they had 3 matches, of which Legacy lost 2, the second one they lost involved them being defeated by HHH in about 3 minutes after beating up HBK for 20.

And now Legacy is feuding with.... Kofi are they even or is that Randy? What is Legacy doing? Treading water? Yeah....

I mean, it was a good feud for Legacy but its not like they whipped the poo poo out of DX or anything.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Judakel posted:

Who has Michaels put over in the last 3 years that wasn't already at a main-event level? I mean, the only people on the PPV match list that weren't former top belt holders are Kennedy and Legacy, and most of the RAW feuds have been with people like Miz/Morrison, Kozlov, Masters, and others who didn't get elevated as a result of the feud. What is your definition of 'put over?'

And like FishBulb said, Shawn gets dropped into a triple threat for the title pretty much just because, and Legacy go back to farting around the upper midcard losing to MVP and Mark Henry and maybe starting a feud with Kofi or something.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 1, 2009

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LividLiquid posted:

That's a strawman and you know it. If this is how you really interpreted my post then you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

I don't know why I bother replying though. You probably interpreted this post as supporting the free market or something.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CubsWoo posted:

Who has Michaels put over in the last 3 years that wasn't already at a main-event level? I mean, the only people on the PPV match list that weren't former top belt holders are Kennedy and Legacy, and most of the RAW feuds have been with people like Miz/Morrison, Kozlov, Masters, and others who didn't get elevated as a result of the feud. What is your definition of 'put over?'

And like FishBulb said, Shawn gets dropped into a triple threat for the title pretty much just because, and Legacy go back to farting around the upper midcard losing to MVP and Mark Henry and maybe starting a feud with Kofi or something.

Michaels gave Masters, Shelton, and Legacy their best matches to date. That's just off the top of my head. If those guys can't make use of the exposure of an even-sided match with a main event star to get themselves over then that is another matter entirely. In my opinion, Legacy are two of the most generic, boring guys on the main event/near-main event level. The fact they are now feuding with Kofi Kingston (per FishBulb) is not necessarily a "bad" thing, but it seems a hell of a lot more appropriate than most would like to admit.

I don't think anyone watching (except for smarks) is going to be bothered by an older, more established star "winning" a feud. In fact, it would be awkward if they didn't come out on top given how more established stars are painted as being "more skilled" and at an advantage in just about every storyline. The fact the younger stars come out as the "losers" of a feud or match is only a bad thing if the affair is incredibly one-sided, which cannot be said to be the case with any of Michaels' work with younger stars. As long as they are not outright embarrassed (Cena vs. Miz), they get "put over" by standing toe-to-toe with a bigger star and looking good until the 3-count. They are given a platform on which to raise their popularity/heat and their profile with the audience. That is all you can ask for when it comes to matches between a younger star and more established main eventer.

What is happening here is that Michaels' reputation is just too drat difficult to shake off. The fact he has "won" most of those feuds is not uncommon amongst feuds that involve main event level going up against mid-carders.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Legacy buried themselves by being a tag team composed of a guy with a speech impediment and none of his father's charisma and "some other guy".

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They aren't feuding with Kofi, they aren't doing anything, Randy is feuding with Kofi and they are... tagging along with Randy, which is what they were doing before they feuded with DX.

I.E. they went from feuding with DX, two of the biggest stars in the company, to being Randy's lackys again and feuding with either nobody or a guy that might be on the rise depending on where things go now.
They have not been elevated in position on the card or anything. I mean, I think its pretty obvious at this point that they are just waiting on pulling the trigger on having them turn on Randy, but right nothing is really happening. Regardless of the matches they had with DX its hard to say that they got a big bump by feuding with them, considering what they have done since that feud ended.

Obviously they have to build some teams for the Survivor Series match (assuming there will be one) and its a lot easier to get a 5 person team if you start with 3, so Legacy isn't going anywhere this month...

If they deserve to be pushed or elevated at all is another entire discussion.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 1, 2009

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
They just didn't take it to the PAY WINDAH... Whatever.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Judakel posted:

They just didn't take it to the PAY WINDAH... Whatever.

Yeah its not a huge deal and I dont agree with that other guy that they were buried, but they didn't come out of the feud tremendously better off then they went into it or anything either.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

How many feuds have Triple H/HBK had? And how many came from DX breaking up?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
1 and 0.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bradzilla posted:

How many feuds have Triple H/HBK had? And how many came from DX breaking up?

Well, the one I am thinking of... they teased DX getting back together, and then right as they were about to do the crotch chop, HHH attacked HBK. (I think I got that right)

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

I'm in, but I don't really want to run it. If someone wants to step up and start a thread, go for it.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Not really a question so much but did this logo ever confuse anyone else?

For the longest time I had no idea it actually read WCW. I just thought it was some random design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jack Krauser posted:

Not really a question so much but did this logo ever confuse anyone else?

For the longest time I had no idea it actually read WCW. I just thought it was some random design.

Yeah its a really bad logo.