Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

I was just reading through that DVDVR Observer WCW quotes thread and came across this:
"A new-look Ricky Rachmann interviewed a NASCAR driver"
Was this the same Ricky Rachmann of Headbangers Hall/The Cathouse fame?

I'm not familiar with those things you are mentioning but he was some DJ or perhaps a VJ if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

I was just reading through that DVDVR Observer WCW quotes thread and came across this:
"A new-look Ricky Rachmann interviewed a NASCAR driver"

It certainly was. I think he worked as the backstage interviewer for a year or two towards the end.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

FishBulb posted:

I'm not familiar with those things you are mentioning but he was some DJ or perhaps a VJ if I remember correctly.
I meant Headbangers Ball. The Cathouse was a Sunset Strip club owned by Rachmann and Taime Downe (of Faster Pussycat). It was essentially the Max's Kansas City/Studio 54 of the Sunset Strip scene. I mention all this because I'm shocked the dude was an interviewer for WCW.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Better tag team title match that week: Austin/Triple H vs. Benoit/Jericho (RAW 5/21/01) or TLC 3 (Smackdown 5/24/01)?

That whole week was just a blaze of awesome wrestling from Benoit, even if it did end up contributing a lot to his brain damage. He wrestled five matches at Judgment Day (one 3-Stage Match against Angle (Pinfalls/Submissions/Ladder), 2 tag matches with Jericho in the Tag Team Turmoil), then the Quad-Breaker match against the Power Trip on Raw, and then the very next night at the Smackdown tapings, he and Jericho wrestled in TLC 3 and put on a hell of a show.

Benoit was the major-league man that week. But I'd go with TLC 3 because Benoit, despite being beat up and exhausted, he still marched out with bruised ribs to win the whole thing.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
For people who want something for them and their santa highspots has a 10 action figures for $30 grab bag going on now.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is a forearm shiver?

Why is it called a shiver?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Burrito posted:

There was a ppv or RAW within the past year that had someone with a sign that was a giant cardboard cut out of John Cena's face, and it rose up from the crowd in an ominous manner. A gif was made of it and I need that gif and maybe even what show it was on. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Ok what the hell, sombody get off their rear end and pull this out of their gif folder. Jerusalem, Hulkamatt, come on.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pneub posted:

Ok what the hell, sombody get off their rear end and pull this out of their gif folder. Jerusalem, Hulkamatt, come on.

Seriously. I MUST see this. It would complete me.

Sure you didn't dream this, Burrito?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seriously. I MUST see this. It would complete me.

Sure you didn't dream this, Burrito?

This did happen. I cant remember if it was RAW or a PPV, but it DID happen and the guy doing it had a sense of comedic timing because he would use it at the perfect times

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I recall that being done with a Shawn Michaels stand-up.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Jerusalem posted:

I recall that being done with a Shawn Michaels stand-up.

This is now something I must see. I see your post has words in place of a gif, what the hell?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CubsWoo posted:

You don't get over by having even matches with an upper-card star while losing.

That's like your opinion man. Repeatedly losing? Bad. Being on the losing end of a profile angle? Fine.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was. But take those quotes with a bowl of salt. Many of them are straight-up made-up.

The A-Team Van posted:

This is now something I must see. I see your post has words in place of a gif, what the hell?
How DARE the man who brings us all of our GIFs not deliver? How loving DARE he?!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

AkumaHokoru posted:

This did happen. I cant remember if it was RAW or a PPV, but it DID happen and the guy doing it had a sense of comedic timing because he would use it at the perfect times

I'm pretty sure it was on some Raw during HBK as JBL's employee period. They were cutting a "serious" promo and then young HBK would slowly rise up between JBL and old HBK.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

HulkaMatt posted:

I was actually planning on making a thread for everyone to post what kind of stuff they like and who their favorites are, so people can look at that if they don't know what to get them.

Good idea/Bad idea?

Good idea. Otherwise, I'm gettin' somoene an DX thong.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

bradzilla posted:

I'm pretty sure it was on some Raw during HBK as JBL's employee period. They were cutting a "serious" promo and then young HBK would slowly rise up between JBL and old HBK.

It was the first promo at survivor series. I am almost sure.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

HulkaMatt posted:

I was actually planning on making a thread for everyone to post what kind of stuff they like and who their favorites are, so people can look at that if they don't know what to get them.

Good idea/Bad idea?

Very good idea. And you should also ask people to post what they already own so that they don't get any repeats.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Better tag team title match that week: Austin/Triple H vs. Benoit/Jericho (RAW 5/21/01) or TLC 3 (Smackdown 5/24/01)?

Austin/Triple H vs. Benoit/Jericho easy because the outcome of this match was so much more important. You know if Benoit and Jericho won that match, then they would be made legit. If they lost, they were going straight back to the mid card.

Throughout the match, you kept wondering "Would they do it?" and "Is this finally their time?" and they did and it was. It marked the first time that Benoit and Jericho were treated as serious poo poo. From this point, both of them instantly became full fledged main eventers.

It paved the way for Jericho to be the world champion by the end of the year. It paved way for Benoit to main event Raw against Austin. Although Benoit got injured and when he came back a year later, all the momentum was gone and he was back to being in the mid card.

Edit: This is the promo that setup the match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i3v9WQoa-0#t=5m41s Before this, I believe Jericho was feuding with Regal. Austin's face sold the moment perfectly. When Jericho interrupted him, Austin had the look of "Does this midcarder not know who the gently caress I am?"

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 4, 2009

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I don't think I'll ever like any sign as much as this one.

It just rose up as soon as Randy put on the headlock.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

It was. But take those quotes with a bowl of salt. Many of them are straight-up made-up.

Your evidence being?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

LL, your argument is that even though people appear to be quoting a publication that talks about a newspaper ad that was placed AT THE TIME OF SAID PUBLICATION, that it's all been made up and someone just invented this poo poo eleven years ago just because people can't seem to pull up the Observer or the ad itself?

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Edit: This is the promo that setup the match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i3v9WQoa-0#t=5m41s Before this, I believe Jericho was feuding with Regal. Austin's face sold the moment perfectly. When Jericho interrupted him, Austin had the look of "Does this midcarder not know who the gently caress I am?"

Oh man, I forgot all about :

:bahgawd: Chris Jericho just called Stone Cold Steve Austin a slut!

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'm astounded that Jericho was able to get "Shut the hell up" over as a catchphrase :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CM Junk posted:

I'm astounded that Jericho was able to get "Shut the hell up" over as a catchphrase :psyduck:

Jericho got "EVER!" to be a catchphrase!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CM Junk posted:

LL, your argument is that even though people appear to be quoting a publication that talks about a newspaper ad that was placed AT THE TIME OF SAID PUBLICATION, that it's all been made up and someone just invented this poo poo eleven years ago just because people can't seem to pull up the Observer or the ad itself?

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Especially involving a 10 year old ad that was printed in a periodical most Attitude era fans weren't reading in a time period where far less people had scanners or digital cameras and the IWC was MUCH smaller than it is today.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Does anyone have the collection of SCSA/HHH/Jericho/Benoit promos and matches from that time period? I vaguely remember someone talking about collecting them together but that might be my faulty memory.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

MassRayPer posted:

Especially involving a 10 year old ad that was printed in a periodical most Attitude era fans weren't reading in a time period where far less people had scanners or digital cameras and the IWC was MUCH smaller than it is today.

And it was in an international version of said periodical.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I've also heard LividLiquid (and possibly others, but none come to mind) say that Death of WCW is filled with lies and bullshit, but other than this very forum I've seen nothing else about it. What gives?!

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
It's generally well researched but it has errors. The narrative is really, really strong and the photos are well captioned.

I lend it out whenever someone wants "a good business book".

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."

The Shaman of Cum posted:

I've also heard LividLiquid (and possibly others, but none come to mind) say that Death of WCW is filled with lies and bullshit, but other than this very forum I've seen nothing else about it. What gives?!

I don't know exactly what errors are in the book, but I found it a very interesting read. I've read it I don't know how many times (it makes for good bathroom material). If you were a wrestling fan during the 90's you'll enjoy the book. I was into wrestling during the 80's/90's but I wasn't into all of the "behind the scenes" stuff at the time so it was interesting to me to read the backstory behind the in-ring events that I (mostly) remember.

Anyway, back on topic: Back in the late 80's or very early 90's, Jake "the snake" Roberts had a feud with Rick Rude in the WWF where Rude was going after Jake's wife. There was an incident where Rude had tights made with an airbrushed image of Jake's wife on the crotch. Jake warned Rude not to wear them again, and of course, Rude wore them again. So Jake comes down and kicks the crap out of Rude in the ring and rips the tights off. I remember watching this on WWF Spotlight and when Jake ripped Rude's tights off they blurred out Rude's crotch as if he was completely naked. I've always wondered, was Rude really naked in the ring or did he have a speedo or something on? I apologize if this has already been answered.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Oh I have the book and have read it more than once, the question was directed more towards errors in the book

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

323LX posted:

I don't know exactly what errors are in the book, but I found it a very interesting read. I've read it I don't know how many times (it makes for good bathroom material). If you were a wrestling fan during the 90's you'll enjoy the book. I was into wrestling during the 80's/90's but I wasn't into all of the "behind the scenes" stuff at the time so it was interesting to me to read the backstory behind the in-ring events that I (mostly) remember.

Anyway, back on topic: Back in the late 80's or very early 90's, Jake "the snake" Roberts had a feud with Rick Rude in the WWF where Rude was going after Jake's wife. There was an incident where Rude had tights made with an airbrushed image of Jake's wife on the crotch. Jake warned Rude not to wear them again, and of course, Rude wore them again. So Jake comes down and kicks the crap out of Rude in the ring and rips the tights off. I remember watching this on WWF Spotlight and when Jake ripped Rude's tights off they blurred out Rude's crotch as if he was completely naked. I've always wondered, was Rude really naked in the ring or did he have a speedo or something on? I apologize if this has already been answered.

He had a thong on.

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Oh I have the book and have read it more than once, the question was directed more towards errors in the book

tons of ex-WCW wrestlers p much confirmed most, if not all of the stuff in the book was true when they went on bryan's radio shows. livid liquid is a die hard WCW fanboy. make your own judgments from there. And in regard to the "bird poo poo" WCW ad, please remember they tried to market a brand of WCW cologne with the draw for it being how badly it stunk.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 5, 2009

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

I meant Headbangers Ball. The Cathouse was a Sunset Strip club owned by Rachmann and Taime Downe (of Faster Pussycat). It was essentially the Max's Kansas City/Studio 54 of the Sunset Strip scene. I mention all this because I'm shocked the dude was an interviewer for WCW.

He also got suspended for a time for saying "NO FAT CHICKS" on Nitro during the Nitro Girl Search that led to Stacy Kiebler's career.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

Your evidence being?
That there is no evidence that many of them actually happened, or actually appeared in the observer, or that they weren't taken entirely out of context or were a joke.

Meltzer had sources in WCW, but those sources were within a company that fostered an environment filled with bullshit rumors. The ones passed off to him made print. We have no way of knowing which are true and which aren't, but I'm pretty confident that a lot of that list is made-up. In some cases, I remember the incidents he spoke of and they didn't go that way at all.

It's really not a big deal, but only on Something Awful could I get poo poo on for saying, "Don't trust that list compiled by some random internet dude that's allegedly full of quotes from a publication whose journalistic integrity is questionable."

The bird ad doesn't exist until somebody finds it. Until then, it's a rumor that possibly appeared in a newsletter, was read by a fan who transcribed it, then passed it around the internet. I'm sorry, but that's not evidence.

By all means, read it. It's loving funny. I'm just saying it's not gospel.

MassRayPer posted:

This isn't true. Any given Monday's traffic would crush a shitload of the wrestling websites. The internet was huge back then.

As far as the misremembrances in "Death of WCW", I only really get angry enough to call them "Bullshit" when somebody sources it as some kind of official document. It's an opinion piece filled with glaring omissions, revisionist history, and slightly-off versions of actual events. It's a fantastic book, but it's not without its problems. It also got much of the story correct.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

That there is no evidence that many of them actually happened, or actually appeared in the observer, or that they weren't taken entirely out of context or were a joke.

Meltzer had sources in WCW, but those sources were within a company that fostered an environment filled with bullshit rumors. The ones passed off to him made print. We have no way of knowing which are true and which aren't, but I'm pretty confident that a lot of that list is made-up. In some cases, I remember the incidents he spoke of and they didn't go that way at all.

It's really not a big deal, but only on Something Awful could I get poo poo on for saying, "Don't trust that list compiled by some random internet dude that's allegedly full of quotes from a publication whose journalistic integrity is questionable."

The bird ad doesn't exist until somebody finds it. Until then, it's a rumor that possibly appeared in a newsletter, was read by a fan who transcribed it, then passed it around the internet. I'm sorry, but that's not evidence.

By all means, read it. It's loving funny. I'm just saying it's not gospel.

This isn't true. Any given Monday's traffic would crush a shitload of the wrestling websites. The internet was huge back then.

As far as the misremembrances in "Death of WCW", I only really get angry enough to call them "Bullshit" when somebody sources it as some kind of official document. It's an opinion piece filled with glaring omissions, revisionist history, and slightly-off versions of actual events. It's a fantastic book, but it's not without its problems. It also got much of the story correct.

Post some examples please. And you are insane if you think the IWC was just as big or bigger in late 99-00. Do you have any idea how much lower percentage of people even had home computers back then?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 5, 2009

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Former guys who worked for the company during the period say most of the stuff in the book is right. One guy with a mullet says it's all bullshit.

Seems rational to take the skeptical side.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I remember when Raw threads used to crash GBS, back in 2000 (I got banned in 2002 before I got this account)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fallon posted:

I remember when Raw threads used to crash GBS, back in 2000 (I got banned in 2002 before I got this account)

The forums used to crash a lot more in 2000 and 2001 and membership here wasn't nearly what it was today. It had more to do with SA and wrestling sites having lovely servers that couldn't handle the traffic.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

grody but still def posted:

And you are insane if you think the IWC was just as big or bigger in late 99-00. Do you have any idea how much lower percentage of people even had home computers back then?

Yeah, I mean, wrestling was bigger back then sure, but internet penetration was way less significant. Not that the net wasn't hoping with wrestling talk, it was, but were talking orders of magnitude more people online now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It was also more segregated. You had people who just used the AOL BBs, the Prodigy BBs and stuff like that.