Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Smashlampjaw posted:

Can someone recommended me some good Christmas movies?

Bad Santa
Elf
Tokyo Godfathers
The Muppet Christmas Carol
Fanny and Alexander
Scrooged
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
It's A Wonderful Life

Also, not to toot my own horn, but there's a thread on Christmas movies that has lots of good picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I really like movies where the supernatural intersects with the psychological. Let the Right One In is the best example I've got, although I also really enjoyed A Tale of Two Sisters and Night of the Living Dead. So not exactly thrill-a-minute flicks, but more of a, "Yes, there are zombies, but it's more about group dynamics in a panic situation!" sort of thing. Although, obviously, the zombies are nice, too.

And even though the movie is almost all cliche by now, I always appreciated how Ringu placed a great deal of emphasis on the characters' research and experimentation regarding the curse. It seemed a bit more scientific method-y than the traditional horror film where the answers are handed down by some talking head who just happens to know all the answers (even though Ringu had one of those, too).

Sorry if this is a bit too vague. It's hard to capture what I want in words. I'm a pragmatist who enjoys fantasy. Please help me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Gumball Dad posted:

Can anyone recommend me some "way out of the ordinary" kind of scifi ala Videodrome?

Tetsuo The Iron Man comes to mind first - which you've probably seen, but it definitely qualifies.

Obviously most of Cronenberg's other sci-fi would qualify too.

And if you don't mind shlock a bit, I'm always quick to recommend Galaxy of Terror (sometimes it's called Mindwarp). It's low budget and campy, but it's definitely way out of the ordinary.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Sarchasm posted:

I really like movies where the supernatural intersects with the psychological. Let the Right One In is the best example I've got, although I also really enjoyed A Tale of Two Sisters and Night of the Living Dead. So not exactly thrill-a-minute flicks, but more of a, "Yes, there are zombies, but it's more about group dynamics in a panic situation!" sort of thing. Although, obviously, the zombies are nice, too.

And even though the movie is almost all cliche by now, I always appreciated how Ringu placed a great deal of emphasis on the characters' research and experimentation regarding the curse. It seemed a bit more scientific method-y than the traditional horror film where the answers are handed down by some talking head who just happens to know all the answers (even though Ringu had one of those, too).

Sorry if this is a bit too vague. It's hard to capture what I want in words. I'm a pragmatist who enjoys fantasy. Please help me.

I'd recommend Cello. It's a Korean film about a cellist who begins to find herself the victim of a supernatural occurrence and I think it fits your requirement of being more about the character's mental state and her family than the actual scares (though there are a lot of those too).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Looking for recommendations of slow, minimalist asian films similar to Kim Ki-Duk's work. I'm a huge fan of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring and 3-Iron in particular. Anything like either of those would probably be up my alley.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Looking for recommendations of slow, minimalist asian films similar to Kim Ki-Duk's work. I'm a huge fan of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring and 3-Iron in particular. Anything like either of those would probably be up my alley.

I have a bunch of them, but first I'll point you to this thread. Most of the selections would be classified as slow and minimalist (primarily the last 4). Try to see some before next week so you can join the discussion.

vvv edit: that's a good one. You might also like Ratanaruang's Ploy and Invisible Waves, although neither is as good as Last Life. 6ixtynin9 is my favorite, but it's not very slow or meditative.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 8, 2009

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

codyclarke posted:

I haven't seen the films you mention but The Last Life in the Universe sounds like it'd fit what you're looking for. It's a about a suicidal, shy Japanese librarian living in Thailand and the relationship he develops with a girl whose sister has just died.

I actually don't know why I wanted to watch it in the first place as it's not what I usually go for but it's easily one of the best filmes I've watched this year (though that's actually not saying much).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

codyclarke posted:

Flowers of Shanghai. Probably the most gorgeous film ever shot, and as minimalist as can be.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Looking for films that have an awesome, fictional movie-within-a-movie like Angels With Filthy Souls in Home Alone or the "I'd buy that for a dollar!" show in Robocop. Bonus points if it's actually tied into the plot, like the trailers in Tropic Thunder or the movie version of In The Mouth of Madness in, well, In The Mouth of Madness.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

The Stunt Man has a ridiculous WW2 movie being made with the Jitterbug being done on the wing of a bi-plane.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Looking for films that have an awesome, fictional movie-within-a-movie like Angels With Filthy Souls in Home Alone or the "I'd buy that for a dollar!" show in Robocop. Bonus points if it's actually tied into the plot, like the trailers in Tropic Thunder or the movie version of In The Mouth of Madness in, well, In The Mouth of Madness.

How about Bowfinger and the film being made in it, Chubby Rain?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Well there is always The Last Action Hero but that is kind of obvious.

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also obvious: Pleasantville and The Truman Show

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There's loads of these, to a greater or lesser degree.
Inland Empire - basically extends the concept as far as it can be taken
Full Frontal (which I hated but some people like)
Twin Peaks tv series had a bit of this
Who Am I This Time, to an extent
Synecdoche, New York - probably belongs in the same general category as Inland Empire

e: also, Wes Craven's New Nightmare which is a severely underrated horror film. And iirc, Scream 2 (or 3?) pokes fun at the first one by having a film version of it to start the movie.

e2: The Purple Rose of Cairo

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 10, 2009

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bitt3n posted:

Also obvious: Pleasantville and The Truman Show

Also also obvious: Stranger Than Fiction and Adaptation

Off the top of my head, there's also Samurai Dreams (Videodrome), the film adptation of Pee-Wee's adventures in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Asses of Fire (South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut), Lease (Team America: World Police), and although it might be stretching it The Crimson Permanent Assurance (Mont Python's Meaning of Life). Also, even though it's a videogame, the televisions in Max Payne 2 all have roughly half a dozen re-tellings of the first game's plot, ranging from period drama (Gaylords and Ladies) to a brilliant David Lynch noir spoof called Address Unkown.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Sorry if it's been asked and recommended before, but what's some really good sword fighting movies? I'm talking some 3 Musketeers stuff.

E: also I figure I'll ask here because I can't remember the name of it. It's a movie about this guy's mother who's been in a coma for nearly a decade or more in East Berlin. She wakes up so he has to try and hide the fact that the wall came down because the shock would kill her. Anyone know?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

crime fighting hog posted:

E: also I figure I'll ask here because I can't remember the name of it. It's a movie about this guy's mother who's been in a coma for nearly a decade or more in East Berlin. She wakes up so he has to try and hide the fact that the wall came down because the shock would kill her. Anyone know?

Goodbye Lenin

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Goodbye Lenin

Ha! We thought it was Goodnight Stalin or something like that! Thanks

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry if it's been asked and recommended before, but what's some really good sword fighting movies? I'm talking some 3 Musketeers stuff.

Rob Roy is a slow burn but it has probably some of the best swordfighting I've seen, it just had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Braveheart and getting overshadowed.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Can someone recommend me some quality documentaries? I'd prefer something fun rather than morbid. Perhaps something along the lines of King Of Kong?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Which version of Count of Monte Cristo is the best to watch? I read the book a few years ago and I guess I want to see the movie now.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

angryhampster posted:

Can someone recommend me some quality documentaries? I'd prefer something fun rather than morbid. Perhaps something along the lines of King Of Kong?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184270

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
I'm looking for more horror/action movies that are way over the top/funny. Something like Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, Trick r Treat, Behind the Mask, Shoot em Up, Crank/Crank 2 etc

Next on my list to watch is Drag me to Hell.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Give Brain Dead a shot if you haven't already.

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006
Recommend me some feel-good films that aren't cheesy.

Edit: ..and maybe some good indie films.

SpeedoJoe fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 12, 2009

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Looking for science fiction films where well-rounded characters descend into madness like Quentin in Cube or to a lesser extent, Sarge from Doom.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Looking for science fiction films where well-rounded characters descend into madness like Quentin in Cube or to a lesser extent, Sarge from Doom.

I suppose Sam McNiell's character from Event Horizon might fit this. Actually most of the crew except the token black guy loses their poo poo sooner or later.

E: Also In the Mouth of Madness works too

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I've watched Kidulthood and Adulthood and was wondering if there's any good british movies or TV series like that. It's a drama about British "urban" youth basically, their version of Kids.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
Right now I'm struggling finding movies in three different areas.

Firstly, comedies in the vein of the Naked Gun Trilogy, Airplane and Airplane 2, Blazing Saddles and Top Secret. I think I've exhausted the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker films, even their older stuff like Kentucky Fried Movie and I know they had some sort of hand in Scary Movie but I found that quite terrible in comparison. I suppose a lot of the Marx brothers stuff I have seen is also in this vein (Duck Soup, A Night At The Opera).

Secondly, your favourite movies with a non-linear plot. Like any Tarantino movies that do it, basically. I also enjoyed Memento. I'm open to any genre, but I prefer crime dramas.

Last but not least: Icelandic movies. I have never seen an Icelandic movie but I have been interested in Icelandic music and the country in general for the longest time.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

oceanside posted:

Firstly, comedies in the vein of the Naked Gun Trilogy, Airplane and Airplane 2, Blazing Saddles and Top Secret. I think I've exhausted the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker films, even their older stuff like Kentucky Fried Movie and I know they had some sort of hand in Scary Movie but I found that quite terrible in comparison. I suppose a lot of the Marx brothers stuff I have seen is also in this vein (Duck Soup, A Night At The Opera).

Hot Shots, Hot Shots: Part Deux and Loaded Weapon 1 should be on your list if you've not already seen them.

quote:

Secondly, your favourite movies with a non-linear plot. Like any Tarantino movies that do it, basically. I also enjoyed Memento. I'm open to any genre, but I prefer crime dramas.

Try Following. It was Christopher Nolan's first feature film I think and was a forerunner to Memento in terms of using a non-linear structure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

oceanside posted:

Right now I'm struggling finding movies in three different areas.

Out of Sight sounds like it would fit pretty well, also The Limey. Many of Steven Soderbergh's movies screw around with the time line actually, but those are both crime dramas too, seconding Following as well.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Go for The Errol Flynn Pirate films, most notably Captain Blood, in which he fights the loving fantastic fencer, Basil Rathbone (whom he also duels in Robin Hood, but the fight on the beach in CB is so much better) also The Scarlet Pimpernel (I like the 30s version best but there are others). You'll probably also like the B&W versions of Zorro.

edit: Though I have not seen it, I've heard from a relative that The Adventures of Don Juan with Flynn is great as well.

IceNiner fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 13, 2009

No i in Teamocil
Apr 29, 2007

At least not where you'd think.
Lately I've been going on a Charlie Kaufman kick and want to watch more movies like his. I've seen him mentioned a few times in this thread, but there are certain things I'e noticed about his movies that I want more of. First, and probably most important: an ability to make me feel sentimental while still being cynical. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is probably the best example of this. Second: they feel tremendously self-important but also self-conscious. Kaufman kind of lampshades this in Adaptation.. Third: They have a mind-fuckery element to them, but if you don't want to have your mind hosed it's still an entertaining movie, i.e. Being John Malkovich. Can anyone recommend me movies with any of these elements, particularly the first one?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Somebody recommend me some more horror movies like Carrie where the main character is built up really well and part of the horror stems from how bad you feel for them.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time

Criminal Minded posted:

Somebody recommend me some more horror movies like Carrie where the main character is built up really well and part of the horror stems from how bad you feel for them.

You might have already watched it, but Rosemary's Baby sounds like what you're looking for.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

My guess is you've already seen it, but that sounds a lot like Gregory Peck's character in The Omen

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

LooKMaN posted:

I've watched Kidulthood and Adulthood and was wondering if there's any good british movies or TV series like that. It's a drama about British "urban" youth basically, their version of Kids.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but Shifty and Fish Tank (both out this year) are amazing.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

LooKMaN posted:

Skins if you want a straight (ish) drama or Misfits if you want some excellent portrayls of British youth with some superpowers thrown in because hey, why not.

I would also strongly recommend The Inbetweeners even though it's a comedy, because it's the most accurate portrayl of British adolescence I've ever seen in my life and it's really loving funny, too

edit: Just checked and, assuming you're in England, they're all available for free on 4od. Enjoy :)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-inbetweeners/4od
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/skins/4od
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 14, 2009

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Also, can anyone recommend a movie where the characters just mostly go around causing havoc and destroying poo poo, being complete wastes of society? Besides Clockwork Orange, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Also, can anyone recommend a movie where the characters just mostly go around causing havoc and destroying poo poo, being complete wastes of society? Besides Clockwork Orange, I mean.

Kids

and to a lesser degree:
SLC Punk
The Warriors

• Locked thread