Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Here's how it works:
One poster describes a person/situation. When replying, recommend a movie for the aforementioned party, and give us one of your own.

I'll start:

Recommend me a movie for someone who doesn't usually like cop/buddy action-comedies, but loved Hot Fuzz, and hated Shawn of the Dead.

Go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
As much as I don't want to actually recommend, you'd probably be best off watching Bad Boys, Bad Boys II or Point Break, since those are the movies most directly being parodied in Hot Fuzz.

Now, recommend me a movie for someone who's interested in war movies, but doesn't care much for all the standard war movie trappings (epic battle scenes; gung ho "US VS THEM" bravado, etc).

Edit: VVVVVVV That was actually the film I was thinking of when I typed this. It's an excellent movie, but are there any others like it?

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 14, 2009

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jay Dub posted:

Now, recommend me a movie for someone who's interested in war movies, but doesn't care much for all the standard war movie trappings (epic battle scenes; gung ho "US VS THEM" bravado, etc).

Paths of Glory. Kirk Douglas plays a Colonel who defends three soldiers falsely charged with cowardice during an assault. There's a big battle in the beginning but I'd hardly call it "epic" and it's about as far from gung-ho as you can get.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Recommend me films for someone who really, really loves brutal satire and black humor, but doesn't know any examples other than Dr. Strangelove and Network.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Binowru posted:

Recommend me films for someone who really, really loves brutal satire and black humor, but doesn't know any examples other than Dr. Strangelove and Network.

Terry Gilliam's Brazil is an excellent example of this. If you enjoyed Dr. Strangelove, then Brazil should be right up your alley.

EDIT: Spelling. :eng101:

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 14, 2009

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jay Dub posted:

\Now, recommend me a movie for someone who's interested in war movies, but doesn't care much for all the standard war movie trappings (epic battle scenes; gung ho "US VS THEM" bravado, etc).

Edit: VVVVVVV That was actually the film I was thinking of when I typed this. It's an excellent movie, but are there any others like it?

Apocalypse Now? I don't know if you're looking for WWII or just war movies in general but that one only has a couple "epic" battle scenes and it's more "US VS US" I guess in it. Either way you should see it if you haven't.

King Lur
Jan 1, 2009
Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

You could try 2LDK.

It's about two actresses who live together (but aren't really friends) and have just auditioned for the same part.

It kind of takes a turn for the dramatic at one point but it's all set in their apartment and the two leads are the only characters you see.

EDIT: I'd like to be recommended films which contain interesting takes on the future. That's really general but what I'm interested in seeing covers films such as The Matrix, Ultraviolet, Equilibrium, Children of Men, Sunshine, The Gene Generation, Barbarella, Idiocracy, Babylon A.D., Starship Troopers, etc. basically any film that focuses on a 'possible' (if extremely unlikely) way that the world might develop in the coming years.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 14, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

King Lur posted:

Recommend me movies that take place pretty much entirely in a single room or small area and focus primarily on character dialogue. For example The Man from Earth and Pontypool, both of which I watched recently and really enjoyed.

I think 12 Angry Men applies here and, too a far lesser extent, Apollo 13.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Binowru posted:

it's nothing like Dr Strangelove (and I haven't seen Network) but try Crimes and Misdemeanors

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jay Dub posted:

The Thin Red Line. Amazing film.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

EDIT: I'd like to be recommended films which contain interesting takes on the future. That's really general but what I'm interested in seeing covers films such as The Matrix, Ultraviolet, Equilibrium, Children of Men, Sunshine, The Gene Generation, Barbarella, Idiocracy, Babylon A.D., Starship Troopers, etc. basically any film that focuses on a 'possible' (if extremely unlikely) way that the world might develop in the coming years.

I didn't see you mention Gattaca and I highly recommend it. It's one of those rather rare sci-fi movies that aren't action oriented and its look and score are just fantastic. If you're looking for something less serious there's the always fun to watch Demolition Man.

Recommend me a movie about things going wrong in space but preferably not in the horror category like Alien or Event Horizon. Sunshine without the third act is pretty much a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Other movies that come to mind are Apollo 13 and the Jupiter mission portion of 2001.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm having a Day From Hell at work, so sorry for the quick answers.

Jay Dub posted:

Kanal
Fires on the Plain
Shame

As someone else said, The Thin Red Line. There's really a whole bunch of them, it depends on what you want in a war film.

Binowru posted:

The Americanization of Emily
A Face in the Crowd
Ace in the Hole
Songs from the Second Floor
You, the Living

King Lur posted:

The Exterminating Angel
What Happened Was
Wait Until Dark
Closet Land
Dial M for Murder
Rope
Rear Window
Arsenic and Old Lace
Secret Honor
My Dinner With Andre
Swimming to Cambodia/Monster in a Box/Gray's Anatomy/Terrors of Pleasure
Glengarry Glen Ross

DiscoJ posted:

Sex Mission
Code 46
THX 1138

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Senjuro posted:

Recommend me a movie about things going wrong in space but preferably not in the horror category like Alien or Event Horizon. Sunshine without the third act is pretty much a perfect example of what I'm looking for. Other movies that come to mind are Apollo 13 and the Jupiter mission portion of 2001.

Not that I liked this movie but it fits the theme... Space Camp

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

King Lur posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is Sleuth. Really great movie with a tiny cast set in one location, that focuses primarily on dialogue which is mostly witty intellectual exchanges.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

King Lur posted:

The Killing Room. It's interesting if you're interested in psychological experiments, even if it's not very accurate (or good). Still, it's a lot of fun and the ending is pretty cool.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Binowru posted:

Being John Malkovich is a great one once you wrap your head around it.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Recently been catching up on foreign horror and found out the French do some pretty intense stuff. So I'm looking for the closest thing to Martyrs or High Tension, both of which I loved. Also, L'Interieur/The Inside

And on the level of foreign horror in general, I also recently saw and loved Calvaire and The Vanishing (Spoorloos, the original, not the lovely remake).

Recommend me spooky/tense/disturbing/bizarre/insane horror, preferably non-English.

Edit: Let The Right One In was also amazing.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 14, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

King Lur posted:

I suppose Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? applies. Two couples, one room, booze, secrets, vicious insults, fun and games. They do go out a couple times, once into the front yard and once out driving to a roadhouse for dancing, but it's empty so it's still just the four characters.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Recommend me some road movies that aren't sentimental and don't involve characters learning important life lessons (at least not in an obvious manner).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Recommend me some road movies that aren't sentimental and don't involve characters learning important life lessons (at least not in an obvious manner).

The Road Warrior is a pretty good one.

edit: Also, From Dusk 'Til Dawn, Dumb and Dumber, and The Hitcher. And maybe The Last Detail, I can't remember if there were any lessons learned at the end of that, so I'll assume there weren't.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 14, 2009

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

My recommendations might be kind of crappy, but I like threads like this so I can't resist:

Jay Dub posted:

In addition to what others have said (especially Thin Red Line and Apocalypse Now), I'd add in Platoon, which is probably the best movie about Vietnam not called Apocalypse Now, and is decidedly not gung-ho. Also consider Empire of the Sun, which is one of the few overlooked Spielberg films. There's some sentimentality and epic stuff going on, but it's mostly a really personal story.

T-Bone posted:

Two-Lane Blacktop might be a good choice. It steadfastly refuses to wrap things up in a nice bow.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Recommend me spooky/tense/disturbing/bizarre/insane horror, preferably non-English.
Malefique, Lunacy and Frontiere(s) were all movies I enjoyed (although I think I'm in the minority on the last one, but if you enjoyed Calvaire, I think Frontiere(s) is a much better take on a similar setup).

Also, Ils was fantastic.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 14, 2009

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Frontalot posted:

Also, Ils was fantastic.

The first two-thirds were, but I thought it ran out of steam in the last act. Still worth watching though.

King Lur
Jan 1, 2009

T-Bone posted:

I strongly recommend Vanishing Point and Steven Spielberg's Duel.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I love movies that perfectly blend music & pictures. More precisely, a movie where the score jumps out at you. Movies that come to mind: The Proposition, Days of Heaven, and The Fountain. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Arkane posted:

I love movies that perfectly blend music & pictures. More precisely, a movie where the score jumps out at you. Movies that come to mind: The Proposition, Days of Heaven, and The Fountain. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Koyaanisqatsi comes to mind first, but I can't guarantee that's it's a movie that you'd enjoy. I love it though.

Paradigm Pirate
Nov 27, 2008

T-Bone posted:

Kalifornia, Pink Cadillac. Although the latter could be considered sentimental.

Herr Roboto
Jul 20, 2006

by Ozma

DiscoJ posted:

The original Rollerball from 1975. Love that movie.

Recommend me movies like Conan the Barbarian. Basically someone with a sword loving poo poo up. Preferably in a fantasy setting.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you

DiscoJ posted:

Bunker Palace Hotel
Immmortel

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Frontalot posted:

Malefique, Lunacy and Frontiere(s) were all movies I enjoyed (although I think I'm in the minority on the last one, but if you enjoyed Calvaire, I think Frontiere(s) is a much better take on a similar setup).

Also, Ils was fantastic.

I totally forgot about Frontiere(s), I saw that a couple of months back and really enjoyed it. And I agree, similar set-up, but Frontiere(s) was a much more solid film.

Added the others to my Netflix. Ils looks particularly interesting.

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior

King Lur posted:

Nothing and Cube are the 2 main ones that come to mind (awesome movies as well) both by the same Canadian director. Check them out.

Also for a totally different type of samurai movie:
Aragami takes place with only 2 speaking characters and all but the first min or so (if that) takes place in the same room. There's quite a bit of verbal swordplay and kick rear end action swordplay. It's in japanese though so it doesn't fit exactly with your examples.

Nimrod's Son fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 16, 2009

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I loved Death Wish (3 and up were terrible). Recommend me some vigilante/revenge movies.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Nimrod's Son posted:

Nothing and Cube are the 2 main ones that come to mind (awesome movies as well) both by the same Canadian director. Check them out.

Also for a totally different type of samurai movie:
Aragami takes place with only 2 speaking characters and all but the first min or so (if that) takes place in the same room. There's quite a bit of verbal swordplay and kick rear end action swordplay. It's in japanese though so it doesn't fit exactly with your examples.
Nothing is a terrible, terrible movie. Avoid it at all costs. On the other hand, Cube is a really solid film that everyone should see once.

Further suggestions for small-set, dialog-driven films: Right At Your Door, The Accountant, Funny Games, Fists in the Pocket, Joint Security Area, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, and Reservoir Dogs if you haven't seen it.

Joe Don Baker posted:

I loved Death Wish (3 and up were terrible). Recommend me some vigilante/revenge movies.
Haven't seen it, but Death Sentence is supposed to be fun and visceral, and it's an adaptation of the original book Death Wish is based on.

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 16, 2009

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior

DiscoJ posted:

So basically any sci fi movie? Anyways, if you like the idea of where we as a people might be ending up if 1 trait becomes to prevalent (like in equilibrium where excessive controls are put on society by way of mood altering drugs) then i'd recomend Gattaca . Same idea but Genetic discrimination is at the heart of it.

If you just want to have a slice of life but many many years in the future i HIGHLY recomend Blood of Heroes. It's basically a roadwarrior/ post apocalyptic film only the awesome part about it is that the people are all engrossed in this bizzare sport. kind of hard to find, but everyone i've shown it to loved it (a little cheesey/80's but not really all that dated)

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

T-Bone posted:

Y tu mamá también. I have only seen it once years ago but it was incredibly good.

On the black humor thing, I'd recommend a couple more spanish movies by an insane person, Alex de la Iglesia. The last one I watched was Ferpect Crime, but The Day of the Beast was incredibly funny too.

Score movies, obviously Requiem for a Dream and Pi, same dudes from The Fountain. 2046 works really well too. And Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind of course.

-Recommend me movies that have intertwined but separate stories like Magnolia or Amores Perros, or movies that deal with alternate reality settings like eXistenZ and Vanilla Sky. Not a big fan of action movies though Total Recall was fun to watch.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Catrel Stevens posted:

Haven't seen it, but Death Sentence is supposed to be fun and visceral, and it's an adaptation of the original book Death Wish is based on.

Death Sentence is pretty awesome, but I think he wants the ultimate Revenge film: Rolling Thunder.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

As far as revenge films go, few movies can top Oldboy in my opinion.

Plaque Conspiracy
May 9, 2005

Elijah Snow posted:

-Recommend me movies that have intertwined but separate stories like Magnolia or Amores Perros, or movies that deal with alternate reality settings like eXistenZ and Vanilla Sky. Not a big fan of action movies though Total Recall was fun to watch.

Ever see The Thirteenth Floor? Wasn't the greatest movie, but I quite enjoyed it.

Also, the The Three Colours is a french trilogy by Krzysztof Kieslowski and are very well intertwined. Some bits are obvious and the others are very subtle, with the similaries being more themes and motifs than actual "OMG THAT HAPPENED IN THE OTHER MOVIE" scenes.

They're also amazing movies on their own.

Macrame_God posted:

As far as revenge films go, few movies can top Oldboy in my opinion.

Quoted for agreement. Still by far my favourite revenge movie. Although the amazing OH MY GOD YOU GOT SERVED moment you get watching the first time isn't AS amazing in subsequent viewings. But introducing other people to it and watching THEIR faces is great :)

- Recommend movies for someone who likes clever, quick-witted movies like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, featuring blink-and-you'll-miss-it one liners and hilarious dry humour, but isn't necessarily classed as a comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NeuroticErotica posted:

Death Sentence is pretty awesome, but I think he wants the ultimate Revenge film: Rolling Thunder.

Holy poo poo this film looks amazing. If only Netflix has it. I will buy it purely on your recommendation.

• Locked thread