Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
In fact, I believe Bischoff and Hogan took over the Tonight Show before DDP came out to chase them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

In fact, I believe Bischoff and Hogan took over the Tonight Show before DDP came out to chase them off.
I must've had their second Nitro appearance and their appearance on the Tonight Show confused. It's been years.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

AKA Driver posted:

LET'S GO TO THE VIDEO TAPE! (Halfway in on Part 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvpKoKe61s

AND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFNhvx63xIQ

Edit: I'm watching this, which would be the week prior to the clips above (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDG2cb88XKM), and this poo poo just goes ON and ON. How did they not expect anyone to change over during this?

Did you see their match at Road Wild??? Now that was god awful in every way. This too, but the match was way worse.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

AKA Driver posted:

LET'S GO TO THE VIDEO TAPE! (Halfway in on Part 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvpKoKe61s

I love the (I'm assuming the one for TROUBLE) music video that got overdubbed. Not for Bischoff's theme, but for this screencap.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

LividLiquid posted:

I must've had their second Nitro appearance and their appearance on the Tonight Show confused. It's been years.

I was curious because I remember nWo Nightcap lasting a lot longer than a few times, but yeah looking online it happened 3 times.

The horror must have just seemed longer.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Can somebody recommend great matches that don't hit the 10 minute mark? Looking for short matches like Big Show vs Brock Lesnar or the Angle/Orton/Rey triple threat at Wrestlemania 22.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Can somebody recommend great matches that don't hit the 10 minute mark? Looking for short matches like Big Show vs Brock Lesnar or the Angle/Orton/Rey triple threat at Wrestlemania 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV3ZlLT9mVk

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

I believe that this match between Scott Steiner and Ric Flair was given 4 or 5 stars and is the shortest 4 or 5 star match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cpm4W-2RYw

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It really is amazing how WCW completely went off the tracks in 1998 and how insane Eric Bischoff went. He was such a loving mark for himself and Hogan and it hurt the product so much.

How much did it hurt Goldberg to be such an after thought on Road Wild? He was the champion and Bischoff is devoting 15 minutes of the show to cheap heat. The cruiserweight division started suffering as well as they lost any idea of how to not gently caress things up, and in the second half of 1998 you don't see any classic cruiser matches. Hell, there really weren't any for another two years on PPV.

And at the same time the WWF is hyping up for a huge PPV in Summerslam which was sold on the premise: It is the Undertaker vs Steve Austin, YOU WANT THIS MATCH, we'll add storyline in later.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Big Show vs. CM Punk vs. Chavo Guerrero vs. Tommy Dreamer vs. John Morrison, Singapore Cane Match.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Angle vs Mysterio from Summerslam 2002 was pretty good and under 10 minutes

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Owen Hart vs Xpac is probably the best under 10 minute match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XueVsn2s4

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Owen Hart vs Xpac is probably the best under 10 minute match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1XueVsn2s4
Great match but, holy poo poo I forgot about Art Donovan. One of the worst announcers ever.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

servo106 posted:

Great match but, holy poo poo I forgot about Art Donovan. One of the worst announcers ever.

How much does this fella weigh?

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

The A-Team Van posted:

How much does this fella weigh?

Usually stated within 10 seconds of the ring announcer stating the weight. Tony Schavonie has nothing on him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

The cruiserweight division started suffering as well as they lost any idea of how to not gently caress things up, and in the second half of 1998 you don't see any classic cruiser matches. Hell, there really weren't any for another two years on PPV.
Starrcade '98 had two awesome matches on PPV. '99 had plenty of them including Blitzkreig vs. Juvi at Spring Stampede and Kidman Vs. Mysterio at the same show.

The Cruiserweight division actually stayed awesome until Russo showed up in my opinion.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Carlton Banks posted:

Angle vs Mysterio from Summerslam 2002 was pretty good and under 10 minutes

I just loved that in the beginning when Angle came out it was to the usual "You suck!" chants but after he won the match he got a standing ovation. Poor Angle.

atarirob
Dec 18, 2002

AKA Driver posted:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDG2cb88XKM), and this poo poo just goes ON and ON. How did they not expect anyone to change over during this?

Thank you, seriously I love how bad and awkward this really was. Pretty sure this has to be the worst thing that has ever aired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDG2cb88XKM

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Did Sid invent the powerbomb?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

But I believe Sid is usually given credit for introducing it to the US audience.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I thought Lou Thesz created the powerbomb, or at least, one version of it.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
Scheduling-wise, how did the WWE think it was a good idea to put a PPV on Tuesday, not once, but twice, with Taboo Tuesday? Was there a specific reason that they did a mid-week PPV like this that was going to be difficult to work around fans schedules (DVRs were fairly rare in people's homes in 2004. Sure, you could tape it, but where's the fun in ordering a PPV just to watch it on tape later)? Just wanted to see if they could get away with it?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think Vince has always wanted to see if they could bring their PPV audience to a different night, perhaps so it didn't clash with other sports/events? This Tuesday in Texas was another example of a weeknight PPV.

I assume they also wanted to try and make Taboo Tuesday more 'unique' than it already was.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Due to following a series of Youtube videos that I won't explain (:v:), what was up with the Lesnar/Angle kiss? I vaguely remember it from before, but just what was that all about?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

AKA Driver posted:

Scheduling-wise, how did the WWE think it was a good idea to put a PPV on Tuesday, not once, but twice, with Taboo Tuesday? Was there a specific reason that they did a mid-week PPV like this that was going to be difficult to work around fans schedules (DVRs were fairly rare in people's homes in 2004. Sure, you could tape it, but where's the fun in ordering a PPV just to watch it on tape later)? Just wanted to see if they could get away with it?

Hell, I work sunday nights, it'd be nice to catch a PPV every now and then. During the week might be a nice place to stick a lower budget PPV or two just to mix things up.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

AKA Driver posted:

Survivor Series started off on Thanksgiving night and then moved to the night before before becoming a Sunday PPV.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Due to following a series of Youtube videos that I won't explain (:v:), what was up with the Lesnar/Angle kiss? I vaguely remember it from before, but just what was that all about?

It was after the show went off the air, they were just messing around (or were they actually lovers???)

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
What's the point of the "frog" part of the frog-splash? It just doesn't look as cool as a plain vanilla big splash so there must be some motivation for it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Theshby posted:

What's the point of the "frog" part of the frog-splash? It just doesn't look as cool as a plain vanilla big splash so there must be some motivation for it.

2 Cold Scorpio said Eddie looked like a frog when he performed the move in ECW. It was the Jacknife Splash when Art Barr innovated it.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

dusty udder smoker posted:

2 Cold Scorpio said Eddie looked like a frog when he performed the move in ECW. It was the Jacknife Splash when Art Barr innovated it.

I mean the movement more than than the name.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Theshby posted:

a) Because for the half-second your body's scrunched together, you're falling faster due to less air resistance and will therefore land harder, theoretically.

b) Because you're wrong, it looks awesome.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Theshby posted:

I always thought it did look a bit cooler - there's certainly an implied added momentum given from the arm-swinging, esp. with the chest being thrust forward towards the end.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Captain Strange posted:

I always thought it did look a bit cooler - there's certainly an implied added momentum given from the arm-swinging, esp. with the chest being thrust forward towards the end.

That's the way I always kayfabe-rationalized it. That chest thrust adds a little extra power that a normal splash wouldn't have.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Survivor Series started off on Thanksgiving night and then moved to the night before before becoming a Sunday PPV.

There is SOME sense to that, however. A standard 9-to-5 worker probably wouldn't be working on Thanksgiving, or on the night before Thanksgiving. And a lot of places are closed on that Friday, too. And kids especially wouldn't be in school then, either. Taboo Tuesday was just some Tuesday in late October.

Edit: VVV Yeah, I can see that argument VVV

AKA Driver fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 18, 2009

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

AKA Driver posted:

There is SOME sense to that, however. A standard 9-to-5 worker probably wouldn't be working on Thanksgiving, or on the night before Thanksgiving. And a lot of places are closed on that Friday, too. And kids especially wouldn't be in school then, either. Taboo Tuesday was just some Tuesday in late October.

WWE PPVs are on Sundays because that's the way they've always been. Had they started putting PPVs on any other night, other nights would seem weird. Sunday nights suck, too, by the way - Adults usually have work in the morning and kids usually have school. You could make an argument that basically every night is bad for PPVs, not just Tuesdays.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

AKA Driver posted:

Edit: VVV Yeah, I can see that argument VVV

Also wrestling on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas used to be a huge tradition around the country. It's even more insane when you consider how long guys back then were on the road.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I posted this in the main WWE thread, but this is probably a better place.

I was bored today so I tried to think of all the Main Event stars the WWE has made in the last 5-ish years. This means guys who were already established like HHH, HBK, etc. are out.

"Main event star" is subjective, but I think at least holding a World Title is a good indicator.

Current:
Batista
John Cena
Edge
Chris Jericho (debatable, but I think he really stepped up to be a main event player)
Randy Orton

No longer wrestling:
JBL
Eddie Guererro
King Booker (lol)

Borderline main eventers:
Jeff Hardy
CM Punk
Rey Jr
Khali?
Sheamus?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I was bored today so I tried to think of all the Main Event stars the WWE has made in the last 5-ish years. This means guys who were already established like HHH, HBK, etc. are out.

"Main event star" is subjective, but I think at least holding a World Title is a good indicator.

Current:
Batista
John Cena
Edge
Chris Jericho (debatable, but I think he really stepped up to be a main event player)
Randy Orton

No longer wrestling:
JBL
Eddie Guererro
King Booker (lol)

Jeff Hardy
CM Punk
Rey Jr
Khali?
Sheamus?

jeff hardy was full fledged by the time he got his first title run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

triplexpac posted:

Current:
Batista
John Cena
Edge
Randy Orton

No longer wrestling:
JBL
Eddie Guererro
King Booker (lol)

Jeff Hardy
CM Punk
Rey Jr
Khali?
Sheamus?
You could probably throw RVD and Benoit into the "Borderline" category (not sure if Benoit's 2004 push would be considered too early for this). IMO Jeff was way past borderline status; he would have been MADE if he stuck around. You could upgrade him to... "no longer wrestling" I guess.