Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Jerusalem posted:

Flair is the biggest for me, that time period still feels recent to me but he looks "young" and strong and energetic. The funny thing being, when he was in WCW at the very end, I used to think of him as a washed up old man, but looking back he was in really good condition.

Just think, in 2017 when he looks like a white Abdullah the Butcher, we will look back at how great he looked in 2009 on the Hulkamania tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

THE CONSORTIUM.... WAS ME!

After the disappointment of the Invasion, Ric Flair returning and knocking Vince off of his perch was such a huge markout moment for me.
lol, I still crack up over how intentionally lovely they made Austin's theme song for his heel run

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
What year exactly did Flair's look fall off the cliff into "old man" territory? Was it the jump to HD that caused this? He looks great in 2001. With Evolution in 2004, he's looking good. Older, but not terrible. Then he just plummets quickly over the next few years, and looks like death when he came back to the Jericho build-up for Wrestlemania this year. Sure, he's been out of action since the previous Wrestlemania, but he looked pretty rugged then, too.

Seriously, watch the consortium clip, then just 8 years later, look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPD489DZ4ow

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

AKA Driver posted:

What year exactly did Flair's look fall off the cliff into "old man" territory? Was it the jump to HD that caused this? He looks great in 2001. With Evolution in 2004, he's looking good. Older, but not terrible. Then he just plummets quickly over the next few years, and looks like death when he came back to the Jericho build-up for Wrestlemania this year. Sure, he's been out of action since the previous Wrestlemania, but he looked pretty rugged then, too.

poo poo, who knows exactly what did it? Maybe it was the stress of his divorces. Didn't he get divorced like twice within 4 years or something? Or if he was constantly going out with Orton and Batista in Evolution, that's gonna take a toll a lot quicker on a 55-year-old man than the 30-year-old Ric Flair in the 4 Horsemen. But it is a huge difference between Flair in 2001 and Flair in 2009.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Honestly the best thing about the inVasion was post-9/11 Kurt Angle.

Can anybody find a video of the whole crowd stood up and did the Pledge of Allegiance with him?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Web Jew.0 posted:

Honestly the best thing about the inVasion was post-9/11 Kurt Angle.

Can anybody find a video of the whole crowd stood up and did the Pledge of Allegiance with him?
hahaha he was the biggest face, and I also remember him saying something about "AMERICANA BULLSHIT" on Smackdown. It was weird!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

That reminds me, Austin's severe paranoia over RVD having equal or greater crowd support than him was a loving fantastic little element of the Invasion and I was always confused as hell why we didn't get Austin vs RVD out of it. Then again, I also loved the "Tazz doesn't understand how to kiss up to Austin properly," bit.
Because WWE fucks up every bit as much as every other promotion ever has and wrestling people are loving retarded.

Austin/RVD would've been awesome and drawn one gently caress-off buyrate. It would have been a white-hole of heat. Pitting RVD against Austin is the only way I can think of to ensure Austin gets booed.

Jerusalem posted:

It means whatever the hell Ric Flair wants it to mean!
WOOOOO!

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

dusty udder smoker posted:

That PPV was one of my favorite ones the WWF has ever put on. I'd kill for it on DVD.

Survivor Series 2001? ...yeah, it is on DVD. However, like a lot of 2001 DVDs, it's hella expensive.

It would probably be cheaper just to wait for that part of the anthology to come out, but they'd probably butcher it.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!

Jerusalem posted:

That reminds me, Austin's severe paranoia over RVD having equal or greater crowd support than him was a loving fantastic little element of the Invasion and I was always confused as hell why we didn't get Austin vs RVD out of it. Then again, I also loved the "Tazz doesn't understand how to kiss up to Austin properly," bit.

I also loved both angles. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure Austin yelling at Tazz for not kissing up to him properly was the origin of "What?" which is still going on all these years later to annoy all of us.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

oldpainless posted:

poo poo, who knows exactly what did it? Maybe it was the stress of his divorces. Didn't he get divorced like twice within 4 years or something? Or if he was constantly going out with Orton and Batista in Evolution, that's gonna take a toll a lot quicker on a 55-year-old man than the 30-year-old Ric Flair in the 4 Horsemen. But it is a huge difference between Flair in 2001 and Flair in 2009.

Coming out with Orton and Batista kinda started emphasizing how old he was on it's own.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Deranged Hermit posted:

Survivor Series 2001? ...yeah, it is on DVD. However, like a lot of 2001 DVDs, it's hella expensive.

It would probably be cheaper just to wait for that part of the anthology to come out, but they'd probably butcher it.

The extras of Survivor Series 2001 have both Heyman getting fired by Vince AND "THE CONSORTIUM...WOOO THE CONSORTIUM WAS ME!" :woop:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Speaking of Flair, why is he the Nature Boy, and where did WOOOOO come from?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

He mimicked 'Nature Boy' Buddy Rogers, I believe - but I'm not sure about the Woo, I reckon it was just part of his hyped-up promos that became iconic when catchphrases came to the fore...

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Shadow225 posted:

Speaking of Flair, why is he the Nature Boy, and where did WOOOOO come from?

It's in one of the extras to his wwe collections. He attributed it to Jerry Lee Lewis' Great Balls of Fire as he was finishing a promo and had that song in his head and just goes WOO!

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
Well, let's ask the man himself (it's pretty much the Jerry Lee Lewis thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdABlGoar9g

Bonus JBL smoking a cigar and drinking a beer for really no apparent reason.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

AKA Driver posted:

That is a wonderful video. I especially like JBL's "I've always wanted to do that" line. And just seeing how many people they get to do it. And Al Snow's face at the end is priceless.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

battlemonk posted:

That is a wonderful video. I especially like JBL's "I've always wanted to do that" line. And just seeing how many people they get to do it. And Al Snow's face at the end is priceless.

That really is great. Brought a big smile to my face.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

battlemonk posted:

That was a sweet video. I think Goldust does the next best Woo! Also, it should become standard operating procedure that from now on, whenever a wrestler chops another across the chest, he should Woo! with the crowd.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

AKA Driver posted:

Lance Storm's "WOO!" followed by him immediately turning serious after was fantastic.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Burrito posted:

Lance Storm's "WOO!" followed by him immediately turning serious after was fantastic.

Yes. Also, Ivory chopping Al Snow was adorable. I miss Ivory.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
So, we talk periodically about match styles, the one that comes to mind being "Face in Peril". There's also obviously the "Squash" match. There have to be other styles, and since there are, are any others named like that, grouped in any way, or are they just sort of a more generic group of "face wins clean", "heel wins clean", "heel wins dirty", etc.?

If you're feeling extra-helpful this holiday season, and you felt like listing some styles with match videos to illustrate, I'd be grateful.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

battlemonk posted:

So, we talk periodically about match styles, the one that comes to mind being "Face in Peril". There's also obviously the "Squash" match. There have to be other styles, and since there are, are any others named like that, grouped in any way, or are they just sort of a more generic group of "face wins clean", "heel wins clean", "heel wins dirty", etc.?

If you're feeling extra-helpful this holiday season, and you felt like listing some styles with match videos to illustrate, I'd be grateful.

Well, it sounds more like you are asking about match structure rather than style. Pretty much any match with a standard structure is going to have a "face in peril" since that will be the heat segment where the heel takes control of the match and works over the face. Realistically, every match outside a squash will use the same structure: Shine - Heat - Comeback - Finish. Longer matches will see a minor shine, minor heat, shine, heat etc.

There are many styles, "King's Road" (The All Japan Style, pretty much dead today replaced by the NOAH Main Event Style of lots of head drops) "Strong Style" (Popularized by 1990s All Japan) "Main Event Style" (The WWE style of the Attitude era through today) "Memphis Style" (Used in Memphis in Lawler's hey day, lots of blood, brawling, heel antics and gently caress finishes to get the crowd back the next week.) and many others that you see like shoot style, lucha variants, European style etc.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 25, 2009

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

AKA Driver posted:

It's not "just" 8 years...that's almost a whole decade, which means a hell of a lot. Especially when you go from 52-60. Flair spent the next 8 years of his life working pretty much a full WWE road schedule, which he really shouldn't have, and it took its toll on his body. There's not really a year you can pinpoint, but I do remember him starting to look really haggard when I came back to watching wrestling in 2003 or 2004.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Pneub posted:

Coming out with Orton and Batista kinda started emphasizing how old he was on it's own.

Being called the best of the past didn't help much either.

I loved how the woo video featured so many stagehands who probably just love wrestling and finally got to appear in something.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

AKA Driver posted:

King and Goldust had the best WOOs, but Storm's and JR's were hilarious.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CM Junk posted:

King and Goldust had the best WOOs, but Storm's and JR's were hilarious.

What about the dude that Meowed?

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Well, it sounds more like you are asking about match structure rather than style. Pretty much any match with a standard structure is going to have a "face in peril" since that will be the heat segment where the heel takes control of the match and works over the face. Realistically, every match outside a squash will use the same structure: Shine - Heat - Comeback - Finish. Longer matches will see a minor shine, minor heat, shine, heat etc.

That's exactly what I mean. I'm trying to build a sense, in my head, of how these various segments are put together, because as a stage combat director, that sort of thing is what I need to be able to put together more; as much as it is intuitive to an extent, wanting to draw the crowd in and show the struggle of two equal/unequal combatants, I guess what I'm looking for is a little more of a breakdown of exactly how the pros tend to put it together.

quote:

There are many styles, "King's Road" (The All Japan Style, pretty much dead today replaced by the NOAH Main Event Style of lots of head drops) "Strong Style" (Popularized by 1990s All Japan) "Main Event Style" (The WWE style of the Attitude era through today) "Memphis Style" (Used in Memphis in Lawler's hey day, lots of blood, brawling, heel antics and gently caress finishes to get the crowd back the next week.) and many others that you see like shoot style, lucha variants, European style etc.

For the not WWE-style ones, does anyone feel like finding a particularly good example?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

battlemonk posted:

That's exactly what I mean. I'm trying to build a sense, in my head, of how these various segments are put together, because as a stage combat director, that sort of thing is what I need to be able to put together more; as much as it is intuitive to an extent, wanting to draw the crowd in and show the struggle of two equal/unequal combatants, I guess what I'm looking for is a little more of a breakdown of exactly how the pros tend to put it together.

For the not WWE-style ones, does anyone feel like finding a particularly good example?

One of the most better later examples of Kings Road: Misawa vs Kobashi from January of 1997: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9FNCKVD6

This isn't the best example of Memphis, but it is from my favorite feud in Memphis history: Lawler vs Bockwinkel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu0k-4HOgfA from the legendary $500 Dollars a Punch Feud. Feud History: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA Bockwinkel worked mainly for the AWA and would come into Memphis often to defend the AWA title, but you get an idea of the face/heel structure of Memphis. There's probably a better example out there, probably in Austin Idol vs Savage or something like that but I can't think of the right match off the top of my head.

Shoot Style: Sano vs Suzuki http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X81JN5UT from July of 91.

Probably not the best example of strong style, but Hashimoto vs Regal for the IWGP title should be more accessible http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZLWWY8DN

Lucharesu a fusion of lucha and Puro found mainly in Dragon Gate today:
Magnum Tokyo, Dragon Kid & Ryo Saito vs CIMA, SUWA and Fuji vs Mochizuki, Kanda and Darkness Dragon http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BPK6YDMU from August of 2001.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 25, 2009

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kentucky Shark posted:

It's not "just" 8 years...that's almost a whole decade, which means a hell of a lot. Especially when you go from 52-60. Flair spent the next 8 years of his life working pretty much a full WWE road schedule, which he really shouldn't have, and it took its toll on his body. There's not really a year you can pinpoint, but I do remember him starting to look really haggard when I came back to watching wrestling in 2003 or 2004.
Ric Flair was a haggard old man-boobs in 1996 when I saw him for the first time.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRayPer posted:

Probably not the best example of strong style, but Hashimoto vs Regal for the IWGP title should be more accessible http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZLWWY8DN

Regal is a loving dick.

And to me, that's a match which shows the difference between king's road and strong style, by favouring the big long match less, and being closed to MMA.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The best example for Memphis style that might help you is a WWF match between Shawn Michaels and Jeff Jarrett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYW8df_K1A part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnm9eAl76JE part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyfsXv6JCN0 part 3

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
Cool. Thanks guys.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kentucky Shark posted:

I have to imagine that, coming from the era he did, there was probably a not-inconsiderable amount of substance abuse in his background.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
How did Hardcore Bob Holly have the career that he did?

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

ColeM posted:

He was willing to job, he looked decent doing it, he wasn't a bad wrestler by any means, just not particularly charismatic—he was solid and reliable and only sometimes was a total rear end in a top hat.

Also probably didn't get paid too much either.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

ColeM posted:

He was pretty good*

*Compared to Bob 'Sparkplug' Holly

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

battlemonk posted:

He was willing to job, he looked decent doing it, he wasn't a bad wrestler by any means, just not particularly charismatic—he was solid and reliable and only sometimes was a total rear end in a top hat.

Also probably didn't get paid too much either.

And he was a name, so while beating him wasn't as impressive as beating, say, Triple H, it was more impressive than beating Funaki.

Battlemonk hit it on the head. He was a reliable hand, jobbed pretty much without question, could be trusted to act as a ring general if he needed to and was around long enough that his name was worth at least something.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Were he to join the company now in his prime, he wouldn't last nearly as long. He just happened to join when the worst booker in history was having his only good ideas.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Were he to join the company now in his prime, he wouldn't last nearly as long. He just happened to join when the worst booker in history was having his only good ideas.

I don't know about that. Holly was never the subject of good booking (minus the Holly Family, which was pretty hilarious), but he lasted pretty damned long. He's the shittier 90s equivalent of what Finlay is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

To Holly's (and WWE's) credit, as silly as it was to have him compete with Lesnar for the WWE title, 13-year-old me took him pretty seriously and thought he made a pretty credible run at the title.