Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donnington
Jul 1, 2007

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fursona
Thanks to the holidays I've missed Raw and SmackDown recently, but I managed to catch a repeat of Smackdown this week. However something was wrong, I couldn't put my finger on it. After a little searching I finally figured out Hogan's image and voice had been removed from the intro.

Why? Has something interesting happened?

Edit: Ah, of course. Wouldn't want anyone about to watch Raw hearing "Hulkamania..." and shouting "Oh gently caress! I completely forgot, quick change the channel!"

Donnington fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Donnington posted:

Thanks to the holidays I've missed Raw and SmackDown recently, but I managed to catch a repeat of Smackdown this week. However something was wrong, I couldn't put my finger on it. After a little searching I finally figured out Hogan's image and voice had been removed from the intro.

Why? Has something interesting happened?

TNA goes head to head with Raw on Monday with Hulk Hogan their big acquisition that they're hoping will give them credibility and "put butts in seats". WWE seemed to be ignoring it until recently, even releasing the already scheduled Hogan DVD, but in the last couple of weeks they've removed shots of him and Foley from the opening montage, replacing them with Dibiase and Jeff Hardy.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

TNA goes head to head with Raw on Monday with Hulk Hogan their big acquisition that they're hoping will give them credibility and "put butts in seats". WWE seemed to be ignoring it until recently, even releasing the already scheduled Hogan DVD, but in the last couple of weeks they've removed shots of him and Foley from the opening montage, replacing them with Dibiase and Jeff Hardy.

so they wont show a guy working for a rival company but they'll show a dude facing enough drug dealing charges to put him away for life?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Also Candice Michelle has been replaced by Kelly Kelly.

Does anyone know which match the very first clip is of?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Matlock posted:

Has a screwjob ever come out to a positive situation for the guy getting screwed?

Matt Hardy owes the entire second leg of his career and semi-main event push to being cheated on and having it become a public emberrasment

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jagtpanther posted:

There's Russo allegedly turning a worked promo into a shoot on Hogan in WCW - although I'm not sure who ended up screwed out of that, maybe the fans?

Here's my question - why the hell did Hogan come out clean shaven for a period in WCW?

Karmine posted:

It was after the Dungeon of Doom beat the poo poo out of him and shaved off his mustache.
This is the kayfabe reason. The real reason is he had to film 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain or some other movie that forced him to shave.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dusty udder smoker posted:

so they wont show a guy working for a rival company but they'll show a dude facing enough drug dealing charges to put him away for life?

The answer is apparently yes!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Umbra Dubium posted:

Also Candice Michelle has been replaced by Kelly Kelly.

Does anyone know which match the very first clip is of?

Karl Stern discussed this a few months ago. I think the footage is from 1907 but I don't remember the names.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

The answer is apparently yes!
AND they'll build said criminal to a Wrestlemania match.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

Foley's contract ran out. Vince was pretty mad at Foley when he wanted to go to TNA in 2005 and doubled the offer to prevent that. I'm guessing he isn't their favorite person but they'd work with him again after TNA.

Vince took it very personally and terms are bad right now, but would likely get better when Foley's contract is up. According to Foley, he tried to explain that Vince and WWE needed competition to drive them to be creative and a real #2 promotion would help everybody. Instead, Vince felt betrayed and threw a ton of money to keep Foley but it killed their friendship.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The A-Team Van posted:

I want to watch some old ECW. What are some classic matches I should watch today?

Raven & Stevie Richards vs. the Pitbulls, double dog-collar.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

According to Foley, he tried to explain that Vince and WWE needed competition to drive them to be creative and a real #2 promotion would help everybody. Instead, Vince felt betrayed and threw a ton of money to keep Foley but it killed their friendship.

And the fact that Foley didn't realize that trying to explain that to Vince would be the dumbest thing he's ever loving done shows how stupid he was to take that many chairshots.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mick has been on a long decline creatively, and at this point seems to attribute a little more importance to himself and his opinion than is healthy.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mick has been on a long decline creatively, and at this point seems to attribute a little more importance to himself and his opinion than is healthy.

Which is one of the biggest reasons his last book was such a turn off, and why I can't watch TNA. I hate the idea of my favorite wrestler ever falling so deep into self parody. I still think Mick Foley has something to contribute in wrestling-I think his final promo with Edge before leaving WWE shows that. But I highly doubt that, at this stage in his career, that contribution should be as an active wrestler.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

This is the kayfabe reason. The real reason is he had to film 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain or some other movie that forced him to shave.

Thanks, LL - I wonder why the movie guys thought that shaving Hogan's 'stache would make sense? Maybe his movie star was still as high as his wrestling star then? Still strange though - like hiring Ultimate Warrior to play a wrestler after forcing him to wear a baseball cap...

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Jagtpanther posted:

Maybe his movie star was still as high as his wrestling star then?

Hogan was never even close to as big a movie star as he was a wrestling star. I have no idea how you think this was ever the case.

quote:

Still strange though - like hiring Ultimate Warrior to play a wrestler after forcing him to wear a baseball cap...

Is this just a weird, made up comparison or are you actually referencing something?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

WeaselWeaz posted:

Is this just a weird, made up comparison or are you actually referencing something?

It's probably a reference to the Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior dvd. There was a point during the Warrior-Lawler feud where for some reason Warrior came to confront Lawler with a baseball cap on. It didn't make sense because, according to Jerry, no one had seen the Warrior wear a ball cap before; it just seemed out of place and silly.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxLqExPe5Xs#t=4m20s

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 3, 2010

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The A-Team Van posted:

I want to watch some old ECW. What are some classic matches I should watch today?

What did you see?

Taz vs Sabu from Barely Legal and Living Dangerously 98
The triple threat from Barely Legal
Mike Awesome vs Masoto Tanaka from November to Remember 99
Any RVD vs Lynn but mainly from Living Dangerously 99, Hardcore Heaven 00, and ECW on TNN
Any RVD/Sabu vs Eliminators
RVD vs BamBam
RVD/Lynn vs Storm/Credible at Heatwave 99
Spike vs Mike Awesome at a GAC I think
Sandman and Sabu's stairway to hell match
Lance Storm vs Lynn from Anarchy Rulz
Lynn vs Justin Credible (surprisingly enough)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

WeaselWeaz posted:

Hogan was never even close to as big a movie star as he was a wrestling star. I have no idea how you think this was ever the case.

Not overall, I meant as a star in low budget action movies. Reference was indeed to the wierd Lawler painting thing.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Good Listener posted:

It's probably a reference to the Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior dvd. There was a point during the Warrior-Lawler feud where for some reason Warrior came to confront Lawler with a baseball cap on. It didn't make sense because, according to Jerry, no one had seen the Warrior wear a ball cap before; it just seemed out of place and silly.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxLqExPe5Xs#t=4m20s

I was wondering if this was what Jagtpanther meant, but it still made little sense with what he was talking about. Nobody forced Warrior to wear a hat, he did it on his own and confused everyone. And he talks about hiring Warrior to play a wrestler, so I figured he meant this was a TV show appearence or something. I guess it was a poorly worded random attack on Warrior.

Edit: It wasn't funny, but my problem is you made no sense.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 3, 2010

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cripes, I was just trying to add some topical humor.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jagtpanther posted:

Cripes, I was just trying to add some topical humor.

We don't appreciate humor 'round these parts, son. You best keep on walking.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

Which is one of the biggest reasons his last book was such a turn off, and why I can't watch TNA. I hate the idea of my favorite wrestler ever falling so deep into self parody. I still think Mick Foley has something to contribute in wrestling-I think his final promo with Edge before leaving WWE shows that. But I highly doubt that, at this stage in his career, that contribution should be as an active wrestler.

Honestly, I don't get why the WWE doesn't have space for guys like Mick to help teach the young wrestlers the most important thing that so few are getting: How to cut a promo.

With the major-league talent the WWE has on tap, from Austin to Flair to Jericho to (I hate to say it, but...) Triple H to HBK to so many others, they could very easily have promo training days in FCW or before tapings or something, and the young guys who are struggling to become truly great at promoes could learn so much from 'em.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Honestly, I don't get why the WWE doesn't have space for guys like Mick to help teach the young wrestlers the most important thing that so few are getting: How to cut a promo.

They do, it's a decision made by WWE that it is not worth investing in. Also, from their perspective, Foley is a bad example of what they want in a promo. Foley would give them good wrestling advice, telling them not to script things, how to create a character, how to sowemotion, etc. They want guys to get sports entertainment advice, how to say exactly what the writers give you.

It's like cutting OVW. They spent more money on one McMahon's Millions giveaway than the annual budget for the developmental program. They could afford to run OVW and have multiple developmental territories, to prevent guys from plateauing and keep them learning, but they choose not to and thought OVW was too "rasslin."

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

WeaselWeaz posted:

They do, it's a decision made by WWE that it is not worth investing in.

To a certain extent, I agree with them. Talent needs to have a level of natural charisma to cut a good promo; if it's not there, no matter how much training and coaching you give them, their promos are going to fall flat. Even a small seed of charisma is enough -- it can be nurtured.

Cena has it -- it's a shame they so heavily script him, because he has the natural charisma to carry a good promo. Orton does not have it, and most of his promos are stilted and awkward. Jericho can deliver awesome promos; Kofi's promos are coming around.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I finally got with the times and signed up for the WO/F4W website and listened to the Dec 31 show with Lance Storm which makes me want to listen to more interviews, so what are some shows in the archives that are "must listens"?

I haven't really listened to anything since Meltzer's Eyada days, so I'm sure I've missed a ton of great interviews.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Why has Sting never appeared in WWE?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DannoMack posted:

cites it as immoral mainly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Carlton Banks posted:

I finally got with the times and signed up for the WO/F4W website and listened to the Dec 31 show with Lance Storm which makes me want to listen to more interviews, so what are some shows in the archives that are "must listens"?

I haven't really listened to anything since Meltzer's Eyada days, so I'm sure I've missed a ton of great interviews.

the first bruno sammartino one is a must listen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carlton Banks posted:

Any of the Konnan interviews are awesome. Most are Figure 4 Dailies but I think one is a Wrestling Observer Radio.

The Bruno Sammartino interviews are great, both are Wrestling Observer Radios.

The Paul Heyman interview about Captain Lou's death is great.

The Don Frye interview from this summer is loving hilarious too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you can find it listen to anything with Tom Zenk. funny poo poo.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Anybody been to JR's BBQ place in Norman? I made the road trip from St. Louis to Dallas for Christmas break, and I'm about to go back in a few days and I always pass by it. Problem is, when I leave from STL I get there too late, when I leave from Dallas I get there too early. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to adjust my driving schedule.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
edit: double post

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

MassRayPer posted:

Any of the Konnan interviews are awesome. Most are Figure 4 Dailies but I think one is a Wrestling Observer Radio.

The Bruno Sammartino interviews are great, both are Wrestling Observer Radios.

The Paul Heyman interview about Captain Lou's death is great.

The Don Frye interview from this summer is loving hilarious too.

In addition to this, there's a great interview with Bryan Danielson.

Also the Bryan and Vinny shows are probably some of the best radio I've heard. Start with the shows right around WM2006 and just listen from there. They're great if you commute from anywhere to anywhere daily (I was driving about 2 hours a day when I started).

In particular, there is a show around the end of 2008 where the get a copy of an Impact script and they review the TNA Christmas episode with the Silent Night Bloody Night Barbed Wire Christmas Tree match. This is probably the high point of Bryan and Vinny.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CrankyProf posted:

To a certain extent, I agree with them. Talent needs to have a level of natural charisma to cut a good promo; if it's not there, no matter how much training and coaching you give them, their promos are going to fall flat. Even a small seed of charisma is enough -- it can be nurtured.

I'm not sure you read my entire post, because you just disagreed with them. WWE doesn't nurture their talent, that would be getting a Foley or Heyman to help them use it. They just go "gently caress it", hire guys who may have no charisma, and figure they'll be able to read a script like an actor without any training.

quote:

Cena has it -- it's a shame they so heavily script him, because he has the natural charisma to carry a good promo. Orton does not have it, and most of his promos are stilted and awkward. Jericho can deliver awesome promos; Kofi's promos are coming around.

Having charisma and being a great promo are completely different things. Having super charisma means there's that intangible factor that gets people's attention and makes them care. Cena uses it with his lovely promos, they're horrible but you can still watch him on TV. Bruno Sammartino had it, I've never heard him called a great promo but something about him captivated your attention when he talked. Orton has it too, he isn't a great talker and is a worse actor but he exudes confidence and it helps him get by.

Being a great promo is the next level. It's the ability to not only get attention, but use your words to convince someone to pay to see you. Flair made you want to see him get his rear end kicked for acting better than you. Jericho can make you laugh, cheer, or want to kill him when he talks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DannoMack posted:

Lots of reasons, but the most recent one he gave is after Booker T. showed up and the Rock asked, "Who in the blue hell are you?" Sting didn't trust McMahon to treat his character with any respect.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

LividLiquid posted:

Lots of reasons, but the most recent one he gave is after Booker T. showed up and the Rock asked, "Who in the blue hell are you?" Sting didn't trust McMahon to treat his character with any respect.

That makes sense.

I always thought it was weird to build up Jericho's debut to the huge pop he debuted to as Y2J, then proceed to have the Rock insult him and book him to lose to Chyna. Vince probably wouldn't give Sting's character any real respect because he didn't "make him".

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

DannoMack posted:

That makes sense.

Partially. The main reason is that Sting refuses to work a full schedule or sign a long-term deal.

quote:

I always thought it was weird to build up Jericho's debut to the huge pop he debuted to as Y2J, then proceed to have the Rock insult him and book him to lose to Chyna.

Rock insulted him, but being in a segment with The Rock meant a lot back then. As for losing to Chyna, your history is way off. That was many months later, he had won the IC belt and ended the careers of Ken Shamrock and Road Dogg, and they were giving her a serious push and it lead to his face turn.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Speaking of Chyna, was she ever any good at actually wrestling? All I can remember is her acting as the (180 lb) "muscle" of DX, and I was WCW back then so I don't recall any woman's matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WeaselWeaz posted:

Partially. The main reason is that Sting refuses to work a full schedule or sign a long-term deal.
Third-hand information, I know, but Vince has evidently offered Sting the same deal as HBK. TV and PPVs only.