Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

LividLiquid posted:

Oh. Gotchya'. That's a part of my statement that I don't really care about. I probably should have peppered it with a "like" or something, but my only real point is there's no single performer who could turn a company around at the moment or sell out an arena by himself.

Ring of Honor in Madison Square Garden featuring John Cena vs Triple H in the main event.

I think we can all agree that would be a massive failure that might kill the promotion. Whoever you could think of replacing these two with, as major draws in modern wrestling, I think the point still stands.

Golden Bee posted:

It's a...crime that Cryme Tyme hasn't had the titles. They're massively over and all they seem to do is wrestle the Hart Dynasty. I think +80% of the matches they've been in since October are vs. the Hart Dynasty.

They have HUGE attitude problems, are still young enough that they can do whatever, and have some drat bland matches. I don't like them though, so I'm fine with it.

LividLiquid posted:

I thought the Yakuza kick was to the gut, too.

It's exactly as high as chono wants it to be, you hear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

How can they believe that? Their act had been stale in the WWE for awhile before they were released. Do they really think that they'd be doing the same act for over 10 years?

Never been a fan but honestly the dudley boyz in 2006 were a billion times more over than any non-dx tag team in the wwe now

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wazzu posted:

Ring of Honor in Madison Square Garden featuring John Cena vs Triple H in the main event.
To be fair to both ROH and wrestling fans in general, the fanbase hates those two guys and even the people who don't have seen them fight like eight-hundred times, all recently, and none of the matches or feuds are particularly memorable.

Maybe if it was The Rock vs. Stone Cold in an ROH ring at MSG.

I don't know. The whole topic is completely subjective at this point.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That's the thing. The call is super inconsistent. The announcers call El Generico's corner boot a yakuza kick, and one of the Briscoe's kicks is called a yakuza, so I inferred that it was like a running boot. But now Taker does a running boot that looks different. In games a yakuza kick looks like a combination big boot and super kick, but it looks different in real life.
I'm putting way too much thought into this.
haha I always get all O.C.D. over the naming conventions of wrestling moves. I want there to be some general rules but with inconsistent announcing it's never gonna happen.

For example, the suffix "buster" implies impact with the ground whereas "breaker" implies that the impact is on a part of the attacker's body. Hence, a "spinebuster" slams an opponent back-first into the mat and a "backbreaker" drops the back across the knee. Meanwhile "driver" always implies an impact to the head. And any move in which the attacker falls backwards can be considered part of the "suplex" family.

But anyway that's all moot since moves will be called whatever people want them to be called and I'm putting waaaaaaaay to much thought into this so yeah.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Minidust posted:

And any move in which the attacker falls backwards can be considered part of the "suplex" family.

Oh, like a belly to belly suplex

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I don't get it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Oh, like an overhead belly to belly suplex

Problem solved!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
haha yeah I was just commenting on how I wish there was standardized wrestling nomenclature, as far as "official" move names go. it's almost there in some places but there are glaring inconsistencies that throw it off.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Wazzu posted:

It's exactly as high as chono wants it to be, you hear?
But that's Trent Acid's move!

He'll kick your rear end if you use it!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was just thinking about a past Rumble PPV, I believe it was 2005, that had an HHH vs. Orton match for the title. At one point Orton did a DDT near the edge of the ring, and then appeared to be knocked loopy for the rest of the match. They were selling it as if he whacked the back of his own head when he did the DDT. I forget if I ever saw a "report" on that... did he legit concuss himself or was it a worked botch?

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
It was a work; Orton would continue to get "concussed" in matches for the next couple of weeks.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
do the wrestlers in chikara pick their own entrance theme? and why does almost all of them pick lovely metal that sounds absolutely horrible on those crappy speakers they have in their arenas?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Psycho Mantits posted:

It was a work; Orton would continue to get "concussed" in matches for the next couple of weeks.
ahhhh, I had forgotten all about that part (it does sound slightly familiar now that you mention it though) :3:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MrBling posted:

do the wrestlers in chikara pick their own entrance theme? and why does almost all of them pick lovely metal that sounds absolutely horrible on those crappy speakers they have in their arenas?

If they pick their own song odds are they pick a song they like. They have bad taste in music.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Answer: Indy wrestlers traditionally have horrible horrible taste in music.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That's the thing. The call is super inconsistent. The announcers call El Generico's corner boot a yakuza kick, and one of the Briscoe's kicks is called a yakuza, so I inferred that it was like a running boot. But now Taker does a running boot that looks different. In games a yakuza kick looks like a combination big boot and super kick, but it looks different in real life.
I'm putting way too much thought into this.

Just call Generico's the helluva kick like they do in PWG (pronounced hell-OOO-va, which prevented me from getting the joke for like a year and a half).

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Minidust posted:

haha yeah I was just commenting on how I wish there was standardized wrestling nomenclature, as far as "official" move names go. it's almost there in some places but there are glaring inconsistencies that throw it off.

I'm with you, but the trouble is that a lot of those inconsistencies won't be going away. The Tiger Driver is the motherfucking Tiger Driver, regardless of how head-impact-free it remains.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I always assumed that the overhead bbs was the original and some wrestlers were just too fat/weak to do it properly until the side bbs became a move in its own right.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 23, 2010

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Pie The Grand posted:

Just call Generico's the helluva kick like they do in PWG (pronounced hell-OOO-va, which prevented me from getting the joke for like a year and a half).

Great, now you got me to remember:

Why the gently caress can nobody in america pronounce yakuza correctly?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Everybody pronounces it Yah Koo Zuh, which is exactly how it's pronounced in Japan, just with an emphasis on the first syllable instead of the second.

How have you heard it said?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I've heard it pronounced yaka-za.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Everybody pronounces it Yah Koo Zuh, which is exactly how it's pronounced in Japan, just with an emphasis on the first syllable instead of the second.

How have you heard it said?

Yah KOO zuh and YAH koo zuh are different enough to annoy me. Especially since this is the indies, who are trying too hard to impress puro.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
That's why they should stick with calling it a Mafia kick in the West.

Actually, while trying to see if I could find reference to a Mafia kick online to see if there was any difference, I found this exchange on the IMDB "WCW Nitro" quotes page which made me smile

quote:

Tony Schiavone: [Barbarian just kicked his opponent] Mafia kick to the head.
Bobby Heenan: A what?
Dusty Rhodes: What the hell is a mafia kick?
Tony Schiavone: That's what he calls it.
Bobby Heenan: Why can't you just say he kicked him in the head?
Dusty Rhodes: He's Samoan, from the Polynesian islands, the mafia didn't have nothin' to do with that kick!!
Tony Schiavone: Well I was just calling it by it's name.
Bobby Heenan: HE KICKED HIM IN THE HEAD TONY!!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
speaking of the mafia kick ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

At least Tony can laugh at both Dusty and Brain making fun of him.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I should make a CAW and give him the Sicilian elbow finisher

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I remember in the Heatwave 98 Taz/Bigelow match, Joey Styles said it was a Mafia Kick, a Yakuza Kick in Japan, and then said "Taz calls it his BROOKLYN BOOT." and then called it the Brooklyn Boot the rest of the match.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

So, I just watched the new Botchamania - which is pretty much how I stay on top of happenings in TNA these days.

What's happening with their ring? Did they change it to a traditional 4 sided ring, get poo poo on by the fans, then change it back? Or is it still 4 sides?

And then there was that "you're all cast members" video ... are they just trying to insult as many fans as they can as quickly as they can?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Captain Strange posted:

So, I just watched the new Botchamania - which is pretty much how I stay on top of happenings in TNA these days.

What's happening with their ring? Did they change it to a traditional 4 sided ring, get poo poo on by the fans, then change it back? Or is it still 4 sides?

And then there was that "you're all cast members" video ... are they just trying to insult as many fans as they can as quickly as they can?

still 4 sides and yes.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What are Bret Hart's best matches in WCW and how do they compare to his best matches in the WWF?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kerck Pnameless posted:

What are Bret Hart's best matches in WCW and how do they compare to his best matches in the WWF?

The ones I can think of are the Flair match at Souled Out 98 and the two big matches against Benoit (which I wouldn't watch again for obvious reasons). They're not nearly as good, the only great thing Bret did in WCW was that angle with Goldberg in Toronto.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

The ones I can think of are the Flair match at Souled Out 98 and the two big matches against Benoit (which I wouldn't watch again for obvious reasons). They're not nearly as good, the only great thing Bret did in WCW was that angle with Goldberg in Toronto.

Are the two Benoit matches the WCW world title tourney final and the Owen tribute match? Just want to make sure that we're thinking of the same matches, or if there were more Bret/Benoit matches that were good.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

CVagts posted:

Are the two Benoit matches the WCW world title tourney final and the Owen tribute match? Just want to make sure that we're thinking of the same matches, or if there were more Bret/Benoit matches that were good.

Those are the two I was thinking of, yes.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Alright, just making sure.

If I recall correctly, the tournament final was the main event of a pretty bad show, and it was marred with interference. The Toronto angle was probably indeed the best thing he ever did, because it was a great promo and despite what WCW tried to do with their piped-in "GOOOLDBERG" cheers, the fans loved Bret and hated Goldberg, and Bret played the babyface perfectly.

The Owen match was his best match, but nowadays it'll make you depressed for so many reasons.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

speaking of the mafia kick ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

At least Tony can laugh at both Dusty and Brain making fun of him.

This is the best thing

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CVagts posted:

The Owen match was his best match, but nowadays it'll make you depressed for so many reasons.

And that depression is sort of a death knell for the match's greatness. On it's own merits, it's very good, but not great.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
When was it established that Samoan wrestlers have particularly hard heads? I've always sort of wondered when that started/who started the trend.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Good Listener posted:

When was it established that Samoan wrestlers have particularly hard heads? I've always sort of wondered when that started/who started the trend.

Possibly Haku in the eighties? I know fat guys with big hair in general have been treated as having hard heads since Andre, but I think I remember a spot during Andre and Heenan's fued where he headbutt Haku and he got the worst of it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Probably more likely to have started with Afa and Sika.

I mean, Haku isn't even samoan! :v:

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I've never watched an episode of Tough Enough. What is the circle game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DannoMack posted:

I've never watched an episode of Tough Enough. What is the circle game?

This.

You just lost.