Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

This.

You just lost.

I didn't look. I get to punch you now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Not if you didn't put your finger in the circle.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

PsiKoTicK posted:

I didn't look. I get to punch you now, right?

No, that's only if you stick your finger in the hole. If you don't look, you don't get punched.

Rusty gets to punch me because I looked.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
How did Sid Vicious ever get over?

I could never understand it

He couldn't work, he didn't have a good look, he was awful on the mike

Why was a champion in every federation

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
He's like 7 feet tall.

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009

Hockles posted:

No, that's only if you stick your finger in the hole. If you don't look, you don't get punched.

Rusty gets to punch me because I looked.

See, I also get to punch you, because you look at it in my post (even if it was a quote)... bonus for me.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I hate this game.

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009

Hockles posted:

I hate this game.

Wasn't there a punishment if the circle is above the waist too? God, were we ALL retarded as teenagers?

Edit: OMG, worst gimmick ever. Instead of "Hi, I'm Dolph Ziggler!" and a handshake, he plays the circle game, and randomly punches people. Leading up to someone like Undertaker or something where he goes "oh... um, you win" and runs away.

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
People actually played that? I thought it was made up on Malcolm in the Middle. People started doing it after that, at least around here.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Haha same here.

Actually started downloading that show the other day after watching Breaking Bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Dylar Addict posted:

Tallness

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
As I understand it Vampiro has been working post WCW does anyone have any information and/or links? I've found some stuff, just a few short clips though. I used to love Vampiro as a teenager.

Also, I'm Australian and I'm only starting to watch a bit of wrestling again since I wnet off it at age 14 (7 years ago) and we never really had any coverage of ECW here. I know that there are best f DVD's out there but the best of DVD's seem to contrast differnetly to stuff I've heard fans buzzing about.

So what are some great matches that for you are representative of ECW as a promotion?

I've been wondering for a long time to, what are the best matches of the Sandman/Raven rivalry?

On a side note, I really love how ECW worked the character of Raven, as someone who's very familiar with the culture Raven was supposed to be representing I really appreciate how much dry humor there is about him, much better than what any of the other companies did with him, apart from maybe WCW when if I remember correctly Raven retreated back to his well off parents house and the cameras followed him.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 25, 2010

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Sue Denim posted:

As I understand it Vampiro has been working post WCW does anyone have any information and/or links? I've found some stuff, just a few short clips though. I used to love Vampiro as a teenager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrKo7KRXgmE

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Dylar Addict posted:

He has a weird, unquantifiable charisma. He was even over in front of the ECW weirdos. It is unnerving, yet irresistible.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Thank you, I came across that but I'm hoping to find a bit of information too so I can kind of put the matches into context, I mean I think Vampiro is an all right wrestler but the theatrics in promo's make up half of his performance. I really appreciate the effort though.

I'd also like to thank whoever posted the Sandman Raven compilations on youtube, I have too many tabs of it open to go back and look for your name but I really appreciate it. As someone who missed out on all this as it happened you've certainly sparked my curiosity.

Turns out young Stevie Richards was a pretty good looking kid too, excellent promos too. I particularly enjoyed the one where he makes one of the Dudley's pay him so that Bubbuh can teach the Blue Meanie to dance and of course the Kiss reenactment.

Also, off topic but I feel compelled to mention it. Users are extremely helpful in this part of the forum.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Sue Denim posted:

Thank you, I came across that but I'm hoping to find a bit of information too so I can kind of put the matches into context, I mean I think Vampiro is an all right wrestler but the theatrics in promo's make up half of his performance. I really appreciate the effort though.

I just remembered him being in WSX, and then moving onto AAA in Mexico in 2008. He has wrestled since then because, according to his Wikipedia article, "In July, 2009 Vampiro reportedly broke his back while jumping 15 feet to the ground from his bedroom window. The Sun reports that he broke four vertebrae in his back and will need several months to heal." Awesome. I honestly never followed him back in the day because I didn't really watch WCW. Oh, apparently he was in TNA too. v:shobon:v

quote:

Also, off topic but I feel compelled to mention it. Users are extremely helpful in this part of the forum.

Aww...:glomp:

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I also came across a short for a documentary about him on youtube, he must have a bit of a cult following.

Edit: Upon watching a Sting Vs Vampiro match on youtube, I have concluded that what actually sunk WCW financially was having to pay for a Metallica song every time Sting made an entrance.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 25, 2010

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Sue Denim posted:

Don't ask how I know this, but he did a bunch of stuff for the Backyard Wrestling video game, so I would assume he also wrestled for them occasionally.

There's also a Vampiro documentary called Angel, Hero, Devil: http://www.vampiromovie.com/, although I've no idea how good it is

edit: in the time it's taken me to type this you've already found out about the documentary...

2nd edit: according to Online World of Wrestling (regarding the back injury)

quote:

Vampiro broke his back on July 7th 2009 after jumping out of his bedroom window. The story goes that while he was sleeping a gang of robbers broke into his house. A cop who was patrolling the area noticed that his garage door had been broken open and called for back up. When more cops arrived they entered the garage and then the house but didn't find anyone, except for Vampiro who was asleep in his bedroom. Vampiro opened his eyes to find cops standing over his bed pointing their guns at him. Naturally he freaked out and did a suicide dive out of his window. He suffered four cracked vertebrae but luckily no lasting damage. He is expected to make a full recovery and won't require any surgery. Doctors have told him that with rehab he should be healthy again within three months.

:doh:

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
If anyone is interested, the Vampiro documentary is on youtube.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

PsiKoTicK posted:

Wasn't there a punishment if the circle is above the waist too? God, were we ALL retarded as teenagers?

The circle game is right up there with the doorknob game.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

They're also pretty close to The Game (and not of the Triple H variety).

That's right, motherfuckers, you all just lost.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Dylar Addict posted:

I first saw Sid as part of the Skyscrapers. He was massive, muscular, with a huge jaw, and powerbombed people when no one else seemed to be doing it. Then I saw him be massive, muscular, hang out with Hulk Hogan, and again powerbomb people when no one else in the federation seemed to be doing it.

At that point, they weren't showing any matches with him just highlights of him being massive muscular and powerbombing people. How could people not think he was awesome?

I have a question, also.

I rmemember there was a tag team of two black guys in a fed from I think, the early 90s. They were called, to the best of my recollection, Blacke Magic, or something like that. THe larger more useless black guy would hold a man's head steady, while the smaller more useful black guy would jjump off the top rope into a sunset flip for the pin. I think Gordon Solie might have been commenting. Does anyone remember these dudes? Did they ever become anyone famous?

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Dylar Addict posted:

Sid is legit scary. He got me into wrestling. I was flipping channels in '90 and saw this really frightening dude who made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I thought wrestling sucked because my friends watched WWF and I couldn't see why you'd want to spend time watching Dino Bravo and Beefcake squash jobbers with boring bullshit. And then there was Sid.

You know how the Hornswoggles of the world are there for the little kids? Sid was the bad guy version of that; a nine year old doesn't care that he's a lovely worker, they just know he can murder people with his hands.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CrankyProf posted:

The circle game is right up there with the doorknob game.
Safety.

Wow. I can't believe other people know about that.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Vampiro works in AAA and legitimately had the worst match of 2009

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
When did tag team wrestling start?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Pie The Grand posted:

Black Masked Man, Golden Greek (I), Facially Beautiful Fey and Irish O'Potato were all accidentally scheduled for the opening match at MSG. O'Potato was so offended that he (kayfabe) slapped Black Masked Man on the back, and pointed him into the ring. Facially Beautiful Fey did the same to Golden Greek (I). When Black Masked Man was about to lose, he slapped O'Potato back. The crowd went wild and the match was repeated the week after, move for move, in a barn somewhere in upstate New York.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CM Junk posted:

That's not how it works

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pie The Grand posted:

About the turn of the century. It was really a California thing for a few decades (maybe in San Francisco? I know SF created the first NWA tag titles in the '50s).

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control

CM Junk posted:

gently caress

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Incendiary Pig posted:

gently caress
God dammit!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was posted in the Youtube thread:

LividLiquid posted:

I can count on one hand the number of WCW video-packages that surpassed WWE's standard, but yes, they existed. And yes, they surpassed.

None are on Youtube, sadly.

It reminded me of a question I've had for awhile - what was the deal with sound levels in WCW? In a lot of their video packages/PPVs/Nitros etc I frequently would notice that the sound levels for SOMETHING was usually pitched very low so as to be barely audible over other noise.

For example, a wrestler might be talking directly to the camera (and thus the fans) but all you could hear was a mumbling. Or the commentators would be talking and in the background you could hear a buzzing noise that, if you listened carefully, turned out to be the ring announcer introducing someone.

On some of the PPV video packages (more the later ones than earlier, such as New Blood Rising) the sound on some of the music/dialogue combos would be strangely flat or muted.

Was there an actual reason for this? Like some kind of technical issue like they had to keep levels low on some things to avoid overpowering others or something? It always struck me as really weird, unless of course it was actually just a result of the playback equipment I had available at the time and the issue was all on my end instead!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Captain Charisma posted:

That's not how it works

Yes it is. If your mind in way remembers the existence of the game, you have lost. Then bullshit happens.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

It reminded me of a question I've had for awhile - what was the deal with sound levels in WCW?
What years, and what circumstances? (Aside from just "later", when production gaffes were incredibly commonplace to the point that Scott Hudson had to acknowledge them on air multiple times.) It's entirely possible that your television was set in such a way that prevented you from hearing the proper levels. This is actually quite common even today, but was far more common in the late nineties. I'm not sure and I'm not even sure how common this was as I hardly ever experienced it.

What was common, however, was the first three seconds of nearly every segment being set on WCW's end to the last segment's EQ, leaving you plugging your ears or straining them for the first three seconds of just about every segment. The left hand never seemed to talk to the right, sure, but in many cases with WCW production, the left hand wasn't even talking to the left.

On the topic of Audio, back in those days, WCW recorded their audio for entrance music live using the arena mics, meaning while you heard it at home, it seemed a bit... off. Whereas the WWF seemed to overlay the audio of wrestlers' themes on top of all other audio. It's one of the only things of which I was genuinely envious of WWF fans.

Why did they stop doing this? The themes nowadays sound just as lovely as WCW's did back in 1998 most of the time. They're a multi, multimillion dollar production. There is no excuse for their sound being worse today than it was twelve years ago.

What's the deal?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

What years, and what circumstances? (Aside from just "later", when production gaffes were incredibly commonplace to the point that Scott Hudson had to acknowledge them on air multiple times.)

In particular I noticed it in 96 and 97, I stopped watching through most of 98 and 99 and just struck with Raw, and when I was watching the dying days of 2000/2001 it was just part of a whole package of dreadfulness that I took as a given.

It's entirely possible that the problem was entirely on my end, as I had a pretty dreadfully outdated television/sound set-up, but I've noticed it in videos online as well from that era and wondered if it was recorded by inferior equipment by people at home or if it was a problem at the source itself.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Whereas the WWF seemed to overlay the audio of wrestlers' themes on top of all other audio. It's one of the only things of which I was genuinely envious of WWF fans.

Why did they stop doing this?

They didn't?

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

LividLiquid posted:

Safety.

Wow. I can't believe other people know about that.

I have three brothers who consider their primary form of communication to be farts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

In particular I noticed it in 96 and 97,
Huh. I can't remember any of that. Were you on the East Coast or Central? I always watched the West Coast feeds, where they may have fixed it.

Edit: And yes, for those of you from the Venture Brothers thread, this is why I said the retarded thing I said in there months ago about the "Cessna" without thinking that nobody will let me live down even though I immediately admitted how stupid it sounded the next morning. I was thinking wrestling and talking about cartoons.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 26, 2010

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009

CrankyProf posted:

I have three brothers who consider their primary form of communication to be farts.

What about the "color" game? Someone burps, last person to say a color has to make a sex noise.

Please tell me my high school was not the only retarded one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

That's not how it works

Looks like someone doesn't want to admit that they lost...

Incendiary Pig posted:

gently caress

LividLiquid posted:

God dammit!

...because it very clearly worked.