Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CM Junk posted:

The way I see it, it's mind-boggling that the main event, which is supposed to be drawing tickets, merchandise, and PPV buys (which, I recognize, wasn't even the case for a while as the WCW name alone usually sold out arenas), in addition to satiating the paying fans and viewers, was so often stale and poorly worked even during the company's hottest periods. If nothing else, a red-hot midcard would normally tire fans out by the main event, especially on three-hour shows.
And the numbers proved, almost entirely, that throwing Hogan into a main-event drew more money than anything else. This was because he was booked as an incredibly effective heel. It took people months to even get their hands on him.

To pretend that WCW never had any good main-events is to shove your fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and chant "LALALALALALALA!"

Now you can definitely make the case for bullshit nWo run-ins ruining main-events for a good long while, but I watched plenty of Nitros (All of them until April, 2000, really.) and I saw many, many main-events that were entirely satisfying if not well-worked in the ring.

Every week? No. Not even a little. I could say the same thing about RAW, Smackdown and ECW. How often do we see a main-event on Raw that definitively conclude which wrestler is better? Almost never.

Von Dozier posted:

But nostalgia :(
A few years back, I'd agree with you, but from the Web-only shows to Russo's re-hiring, TNA put on the product that I didn't realize I'd missed until I saw it again. I loved that show because it scratched me right where I itched.

I like a certain kind of wrestling show that almost none of you like, which would be fine, but that kind of show is produced exactly nowhere at the moment.

I was really hoping that Bischoff and Hogan would fire Russo and I could get some of that back, but it didn't happen. TNA is worse than ever. I'm pretty sure Thursday's show is the worst iMPACT! I've seen since the one-hour days on Saturday nights.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Whoops. Double post.

bartok
May 10, 2006

What was the wrestling logic behind why Lex Luger's torture rack was so devastating ?
It doesn't look painful just kinda annoying. At least Lex's flying forearm finisher in the WWF seemed somewhat more legitimate since they always brought up that stupid steel plate in his forearm.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Chunky Delight posted:

What was the wrestling logic behind why Lex Luger's torture rack was so devastating ?
It doesn't look painful just kinda annoying. At least Lex's flying forearm finisher in the WWF seemed somewhat more legitimate since they always brought up that stupid steel plate in his forearm.

A torture rack done decently can look and be painful; putting that pressure on your head on one end and your leg on the other stretches your back a fair amount. Luger was just more than happy to quarter-rear end it a lot of the time.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Some loony on Wikipedia has systematically renamed everything "tilt-a-whirl" to "tilt-the-world." Has anyone ever heard the latter from a reliable source, or is he just loving stupid?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

tzirean posted:

Some loony on Wikipedia has systematically renamed everything "tilt-a-whirl" to "tilt-the-world." Has anyone ever heard the latter from a reliable source, or is he just loving stupid?

Trolling. A tilt-a-whirl is a ride, tilt-the-world is made-up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-A-Whirl

Although, I hear that Bazooka Kaboom's new finish is the Tilt-The-World Slam.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

tzirean posted:

To be fair, somebody once went around wikipedia, and changed every reference to prostitution to read "the oldest profession in the world" so sometimes it's awesome.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chunky Delight posted:

Have you ever been put in the torture rack? It's loving excruciating!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So what was the deal behind the British Bull Dog's push in the mid 90s. He seemed to be sort of that era's Batista. Perpetually challenging for titles. Of course he always came up short. Were there ever plans to give him a reign? Was he considered a legit good worker?

I remember him only having two signature moves in his repertoire--the delayed vertical suplex and the running power slam.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

So what was the deal behind the British Bull Dog's push in the mid 90s. He seemed to be sort of that era's Batista. Perpetually challenging for titles. Of course he always came up short. Were there ever plans to give him a reign? Was he considered a legit good worker?

I remember him only having two signature moves in his repertoire--the delayed vertical suplex and the running power slam.

he was over.

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS
Bulldog had a few really good matches. Everyone will say his match with Bret at Summerslam '92, but I think their In Your House match from 1995 (December?) was so much better. If it wasn't for the gently caress that WWF was buried under so much other poo poo, that match probably would get a lot more attention.

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What was the gist of Vince's feud with Zack Gowen?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Tong Quixote posted:

What was the gist of Vince's feud with Zack Gowen?

Vince believed Zach didn't deserve to be a wrestler in his company is what I think it was, and I think he was friends with Hogan and Vince was anti-Hogan at that time.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

He really wasn't talented enough to carry the company as WWF champ but between his size and popularity in Europe they could give him the European title and book him in the midcard forever with matches against main event heel. There were never plans to make him WWF champ, but he did hold the Intercontinental championship and the Euro title was his until HBK took it to piss off Bret Hart. Bulldog was a good, not great, worker in the 80s when he was tagging with Dynamite Kid and wasn't as gassed up. Once he came back in the 90s he was just too drugged and bloated to be a good worker and was just a power guy with some charisma, but not main event level.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

WeaselWeaz posted:

He really wasn't talented enough to carry the company as WWF champ but between his size and popularity in Europe they could give him the European title and book him in the midcard forever with matches against main event heel. There were never plans to make him WWF champ, but he did hold the Intercontinental championship and the Euro title was his until HBK took it to piss off Bret Hart. Bulldog was a good, not great, worker in the 80s when he was tagging with Dynamite Kid and wasn't as gassed up. Once he came back in the 90s he was just too drugged and bloated to be a good worker and was just a power guy with some charisma, but not main event level.

Yeah, you have to consider where his two main wins were. He won a Battle Royal at the Royal Albert Hall and the IC belt at Summerslam. both times in the UK. So it was pandering to the european fans in general, and the UK fans in particular. A funny bit on that Summerslam tape/DVD is when they're filming outside for crowd reactions and a little kid goes "The British Bulldog is going to win weither he wants to or not!" Now that's being a smark without meaning to.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey, remember HBK-Angle's feud back in 05. Angle won at WM, Michaels won at the next PPV, and they had a 30-minute match on a 3-hour RAW that ended in a tie. But I keep reading HBK won a final match. Did anyone see it, and when did it take place?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Hey, remember HBK-Angle's feud back in 05. Angle won at WM, Michaels won at the next PPV, and they had a 30-minute match on a 3-hour RAW that ended in a tie. But I keep reading HBK won a final match. Did anyone see it, and when did it take place?

Angle's last match on Raw after he won the World Heavyweight Championship as a surprise entrant in a Smackdown battle royal. HBK beat him after botched interference from Daivari.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

dusty udder smoker posted:

he was over.

He was bizarre.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I was just thinking about this the other day- Have they reunited Edge and Christian or even had them in the same ring together since either of them became main eventers?

I feel like it's bound to happen sooner or later and once HBK finally retires they'll probably be doing with Edge and Christian what they're doing with DX now.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

I was just thinking about this the other day- Have they reunited Edge and Christian or even had them in the same ring together since either of them became main eventers?

I feel like it's bound to happen sooner or later and once HBK finally retires they'll probably be doing with Edge and Christian what they're doing with DX now.

I believe they bumped into each other backstage and Christian asked what happened to Edge. He used to be cool. I think Edge said something like I'm still cool or that people change...I honestly don't remember if Edge had a comeback for it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

KungFu Grip posted:

I believe they bumped into each other backstage and Christian asked what happened to Edge. He used to be cool. I think Edge said something like I'm still cool or that people change...I honestly don't remember if Edge had a comeback for it.

He was gonna be fun again... just as soon as he murders John Cena...

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks. I actually had another question I forgot about- On the Monday Night Wars DVD when they get to the point in time where all the talent WCW wouldn't put over(mysterio, Eddy, Dean, Benoit, Jericho) started leaving for the WWE, they show a clip of Jericho from a Nitro flipping out and screaming "I'VE HAD ENOUGH!" over and over and slamming a chair into one of the ring posts. It looked like he was crying too.

Was this an actual freak out he had on TV or was this part of an angle and taken out of context for dramatic purposes in the DVD? Also, what was the original context that triggered him flipping the gently caress out.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004
I've only recently started watching (since the week after Bragging Rights, actually), and with the Royal Rumble coming up I'm watching some previous ones.

Watching 1998; what happened to the midget division?!? or, converssely; where the hell did this midget division come from?!?

Second question; TNA's tagline is 'Cross the line', Smackdown's theme music includes the lyric' Do you rally wanna cross the line?' - coincidence, or one company having a dig at the other? (and if so; which came first?)

Third question: when and why did Kane lose the mask and hair?

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Thanks. I actually had another question I forgot about- On the Monday Night Wars DVD when they get to the point in time where all the talent WCW wouldn't put over(mysterio, Eddy, Dean, Benoit, Jericho) started leaving for the WWE, they show a clip of Jericho from a Nitro flipping out and screaming "I'VE HAD ENOUGH!" over and over and slamming a chair into one of the ring posts. It looked like he was crying too.

Was this an actual freak out he had on TV or was this part of an angle and taken out of context for dramatic purposes in the DVD? Also, what was the original context that triggered him flipping the gently caress out.

It was taken out of context. Jericho turned heel in WCW by having huge temper tantrums every time he lost.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Kane lost the mask in a "Mask vs. Title" match against Triple H, back in 2003 on a random episode of Raw. The hair was revealed to have been part of the mask when Kane removed it, showing he was bald the whole time.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

KuruMonkey posted:

Watching 1998; what happened to the midget division?!? or, converssely; where the hell did this midget division come from?!?

Midgets don't draw but Vince fucks around with them from time to time anyways as comedy.

quote:

He lost the mask to Triple H in 2003 as part of the Triple H is the ruler of the world multi-year mega-push that contributed heavily to declining business. I believe the long hair was revealed as a wig attached to the mask and he shaved what was left of it afterward because a balding monster doesn't really work.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

KuruMonkey posted:

And to add a little to Psycho Mantits since I already had this typed up. This was during 2003 I think. Basically, when Austin was Co-General manager of RAW he gave Kane the chance to face Triple H for the WHC. The other Co-GM Bischoff said that if Kane loses the match he would be unmasked. Kane accepted and ended up losing thanks to interference and took off his mask. It really needed to be saved for a PPV but whatev.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Another Kane-related question: When and what was the motivation for Kane being a goofy face? I think it was around the invasion timeline, after he had starting wearing the "half-mask" he wore until he lost his mask. I know a video was posted here recently from when he had a match with Hogan and the Rock where he was imitating them in a promo beforehand and rock looked weirded out.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Another Kane-related question: When and what was the motivation for Kane being a goofy face? I think it was around the invasion timeline, after he had starting wearing the "half-mask" he wore until he lost his mask. I know a video was posted here recently from when he had a match with Hogan and the Rock where he was imitating them in a promo beforehand and rock looked weirded out.

He started hanging out with Hurricane and RVD and I think that is pretty much it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
And didn't he have a strange relationship with Terri Runnels at some point? I remember him kissing her and then yelling "FREAKS RULE!"

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Minidust posted:

And didn't he have a strange relationship with Terri Runnels at some point? I remember him kissing her and then yelling "FREAKS RULE!"

That was when he was teaming with DX, who at the time was just X-pac and Road Dogg with Terri as their valet. If I remember correctly, it was all a ruse to gently caress with him and all 3 of them turned on him at some point.

*EDIT- This is also when they got him to say his first words without the voicebox: "SUUUUUUUUUUCK IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Minidust posted:

I believe that was pretty much the extent of their relationship. Kane and Big Show change personalities so much, its hard to fully commit to whatever they're doing because you just know in a bit they'll be different.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

He was bizarre.

Could you elaborate?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

iamsosmrt posted:

Could you elaborate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGu4Rs2jfwU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KungFu Grip posted:

If I recall correctly, that was the night that Cena and Edge had their Last Man Standing match, and after Big Show tossed Cena through the spotlight and people came out to check on him, Christian was out on the stage staring at Edge like he couldn't believe what Edge had become.... he thought that he knew him!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Who was the guy posing as a cameraman who botched catching Undertaker doing his suicide dive during WrestleMania 25, resulting in Undertaker landing squarely on his head?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Timby posted:

Who was the guy posing as a cameraman who botched catching Undertaker doing his suicide dive during WrestleMania 25, resulting in Undertaker landing squarely on his head?

sim snuka

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I would ask why Undertaker isn't cripple or dead after that spot but YOU CAN'T KILL A DEADMAN.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I would ask why Undertaker isn't cripple or dead after that spot but YOU CAN'T KILL A DEADMAN.

He was pretty clearly out of his gourd immediately after the landing, which I'm guessing is the reason for the five minutes of Michaels farting around, trying to give Undertaker enough time to come to his senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

He lost the mask to Triple H in 2003 as part of the Triple H is the ruler of the world multi-year mega-push that contributed heavily to declining business. I believe the long hair was revealed as a wig attached to the mask and he shaved what was left of it afterward because a balding monster doesn't really work.

The idea was that his hair was patchy because of all the scarring from when he was burned as a kid. They had also done a lovely make-up job. This was dropped because the fans poo poo on it to the point that even Vince realized it was bad, so they went in another direction. They said that Kane was insane and thought he was scarred when he really wasn't. Then he set JR on fire.

They thought Kane as a monster heel was done, which was kind of true, but instead of making him a monster babyface they went too far in the other direction. The standard use of asking "Wouldn't this be funny?" instead of "Wouldn't this draw money? that we see in WWE and TNA.

You didn't ask, but the half-mask was pretty much just a way to make it easier for Kane to talk. They had gotten rid of the voicebox gimmick by then, saying he had one implanted in his throat when he was teaming with X-Pac.