Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I liked that Undertaker didn't use the Tombstone on Rey because he's so small that it would have looked ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Timby posted:

Of course, now when Undertaker does the Tombstone, the opponent's head is practically at his nuts when the impact hits.

MIND GAMES!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Von Linus posted:

HBK piledrove Cena at a Wrestlemania.

I find it hard to believe that HHH and HBK aren'y allowed do whatever move they want whenever they want, because they're trusted to be safe.

Shawn's allowed to use the piledriver with, IIRC, the understanding that he uses it exceptionally sparingly and that it's his opponent's call whether or not it happens.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Didnt dreamer continue to use piledrivers?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I know of at least one instance where RVD took a piledriver from Tommy Dreamer. Couldn't find video of any other time though, but it's been tossed around here that it was actually Taker, Kane and Dreamer who were allowed to do the move.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 10, 2010

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Sionistic posted:

Didnt dreamer continue to use piledrivers?

Granted I'm not very familiar with his time in WWE-ECW, but I feel the amount of matches Tommy was in that even showcased more than 2 or 3 actual wrestling moves was an incredibly small percentage, let alone how many matches he got to piledrive someone in.

I just youtube'd some of Tommy's piledrivers. At least in WWE he seemed to lean back as he fell so his butt took almost all of the impact. They were probably okay with that.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

LightsGameraAction posted:

Granted I'm not very familiar with his time in WWE-ECW, but I feel the amount of matches Tommy was in that even showcased more than 2 or 3 actual wrestling moves was an incredibly small percentage, let alone how many matches he got to piledrive someone in.

I just youtube'd some of Tommy's piledrivers. At least in WWE he seemed to lean back as he fell so his butt took almost all of the impact. They were probably okay with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAfDozERMc

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Yea, Tommy's butt is taking the impact there. I guess it also helps that it's RVD, who is very good and taking and (over)selling bumps.

Anyway, people who were talking about how ridiculous the Tombstone is now: You seem to forget the most bullshit piledriver ever, the Rikishi driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNzTZCCpPq4&feature=related

I don't think I've ever seen him do this where the opponent's head was less than a foot away from the mat when he came down.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
People seem to be saying "the piledriver is banned, except when they feel like doing one." Well that's not really a "ban" then. It's just something they like to save for special occasions.

In a way, I'd put it in the same category as the "steal the opponent's finisher" spot - it's not a spot that's used very much, but it gets a real "OHHHH no he didn't!" reaction any time it happens.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

People seem to be saying "the piledriver is banned, except when they feel like doing one." Well that's not really a "ban" then. It's just something they like to save for special occasions.

In a way, I'd put it in the same category as the "steal the opponent's finisher" spot - it's not a spot that's used very much, but it gets a real "OHHHH no he didn't!" reaction any time it happens.

No, that is a ban. You have to get permission to use it. It is against the rules. Banned, you might say.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Minidust posted:

By the way, this doesn't happen nearly enough anymore. Well, it shouldn't, but it's still a super cool spot.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Atticus Finch posted:

By the way, this doesn't happen nearly enough anymore. Well, it shouldn't, but it's still a super cool spot.

I always liked when they did it in long matches where the opponent has already kicked out of the guy's finisher/signature moves at least once or more. Kinda like a "gently caress it, I'll see if your move works!"

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I'm not a fan of stealing the opponent's finisher. A wrestler's finisher is supposed to be his move that he does better than everyone else, like Jake Roberts and the DDT. Anyone can do it, but no one can do it as well as him. At least that's how I looked at as a kid.

I could really get behind some super special finishers that only get used once every year or two because they're kayfabe too dangerous and could only be used in no-DQ type of matches. Isn't the Burning Hammer something like that?

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
I've been way out of the wrestlign world for awhile and just tonight read Shane Mcmahon is no longer with the company. Has it come out why he left? Some sites speculated him not getting along with the Stephanie/HHH/Vince direction of the WWE, but has anything been confirmed?

*edit - Oh yeah, one other question. Just tonight found out WWE has some no blood policy now and I saw a clip of Cena/Orton getting cleaned up mid-match. Whats the general consensus regarding this policy?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MyStereoHasMono posted:

I've been way out of the wrestlign world for awhile and just tonight read Shane Mcmahon is no longer with the company. Has it come out why he left? Some sites speculated him not getting along with the Stephanie/HHH/Vince direction of the WWE, but has anything been confirmed?

*edit - Oh yeah, one other question. Just tonight found out WWE has some no blood policy now and I saw a clip of Cena/Orton getting cleaned up mid-match. Whats the general consensus regarding this policy?

Apparently, he just wanted to do something different. Shane might've felt there wouldn't be a place for him under Stephanie/HHH, or he just had other things he wanted to do. At this point, what more did he have to do, as he couldn't advance any more.

The general consensus is that the WWE is trying to clean up the product for kids. The TV rating has gone down to TV-PG, there's a big push towards a new WWE Kids magazine and action figures, there's virtually no more profanity, everything's been cleaned up. The lack of blood is a result of the move.

If you didn't know, the new emphasis on kids has caused a lot of subtle changes, like making the Divas less slutty by not having anyone in Playboy for two years, a gimmick midget joining DX, DX becoming a family-friendly shill machine, et cetera.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MyStereoHasMono posted:

According to Meltzer, who has about as much credibility as you'd like to give him, Shane wants to make a name for himself and get out from under Vince's shadow. He hoped the company would be left to him, but it looks like it's going to be left to Steph and HHH. Shane, not being a loving retard, decided he'd likely get into MMA instead of TNA, as MMA is far more likely to show up his dad and continue to be relevant in the years to come.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

According to Meltzer, who has about as much credibility as you'd like to give him, Shane wants to make a name for himself and get out from under Vince's shadow. He hoped the company would be left to him, but it looks like it's going to be left to Steph and HHH. Shane, not being a loving retard, decided he'd likely get into MMA instead of TNA, as MMA is far more likely to show up his dad and continue to be relevant in the years to come.

Meltzer has not said Shane would likely get into MMA. He's said he's more likely to get into something completely unrelated since he can't afford to buy into UFC and Zuffa probably wouldn't let him at this point anyway. On top of that he knows very little about MMA outside of UFC, so that seems to be out.

And I love how Meltzer has such a credibility problem on this forum when Dana White, the President of UFC, one of the two major companies Dave covers has gone on the record to say Dave is the best at what he does, and Eric Bischoff on WOL has said several times how much he respects Dave and what he does.

What has no credibility is how often completely mangled Observer reports, or just entirely fabricated ones are posted here from other sites misquoting the Observer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dude. I don't listen to Dave anywhere but The Law, as I'm not a subscriber to The Wrestling Observer, so all I can go by is what he says on that particular show. If he contradicts himself elsewhere, I won't hear it. I'm not trying to mislead anybody here.

Late last year when Shane left WWE, Dave said what I just posted. He also said that Shane doesn't have the money to buy UFC, but that he could buy a sizable chunk of any other MMA company.

As far as my comment about Dave's credibility, if you re-read what I said, you'll likely understand what I mean. "Who has about as much credibility as you'd like to give him" means, as far as I was saying, "Meltzer said this. You either trust him or you don't."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think that was necessarily 100% directed towards you. I mean you can't go a week here without someone indirectly crying about Meltzer or mentioning PUNK'S IN THE DOGHOUSE (which is A. almost a 3 year old report at this point and B. if you even watched ECW, it looked like it was pretty legit)

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Re: Piledrivers

Regal seems to get away with dropping fools directly on their skulls every other week, but maybe he's using an ancient snakepit secret to make his suplexes look dangerously unsafe without killing anybody.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Theshby posted:

Regal seems to get away with dropping fools directly on their skulls every other week, but maybe he's using an ancient snakepit secret to make his suplexes look dangerously unsafe without killing anybody.

The secret is roaring.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Theshby posted:

Regal doesn't give away his secrets very often, but I recall in an interview when asked about how he makes worked punches look so good, his response was:

"I hit people very hard, in very safe places"

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
So how do they work the no-blood policy with something like the Elimination Chamber, where everyone is stuck inside of a cage together and bleeding is pretty much inevitable?

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003

So how do they work the no-blood policy with something like the Elimination Chamber, where everyone is stuck inside of a cage together and bleeding is pretty much inevitable?

Someone didn't see the Hell in the Cell PPV. There will be no blood unless it is an accident.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Presumably, they will either avoid blood spots, and stop the match in the event of legit injuries.

Or, maybe because it's a PPV, they'll let the blood go, to build up the Brutal Satan's Playground aspect.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

battlemonk posted:

Presumably, they will either avoid blood spots, and stop the match in the event of legit injuries.

Or, maybe because it's a PPV, they'll let the blood go, to build up the Brutal Satan's Playground aspect.

They stopped the Orton/Cena match because of blood on whatever PPV that was.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
No one stopped the Rey vs Undertaker RR match.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

No one stopped the Rey vs Undertaker RR match.

You can't exactly glue up a busted nose.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They stopped Shelton/Christian, which was hilarious because Shelton should've just kayfabe climbed teh ladder.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

BrutusBeefcake posted:

Someone didn't see the Hell in the Cell PPV. There will be no blood unless it is an accident.

As much as it would make sense to only stop intentional bleeding unless it's a serious accident, from what I've come to understand they stop the match because of bleeding under any circumstance.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Chilly McFreeze posted:

You can't exactly glue up a busted nose.

There's something that cutmen in boxing/mma use, cotton swabs soaked in Adrenaline HCl; these stop nosebleeds pretty effectively in sports where facial trauma is intentional and essential—they would certainly work in wrestling, where any direct blow to the face is unintentional at best.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

WHILE THAT MAY BE, imagine the Undertaker sitting patiently while the doctors work on him during a match.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

WHILE THAT MAY BE, imagine the Undertaker sitting patiently while the doctors work on him during a match.

Funny, considering isn't the Undertaker going off about Bob Orton not letting anyone know he had the 'Hep before HIAC the reason no one is allowed to bleed now?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Funny, considering isn't the Undertaker going off about Bob Orton not letting anyone know he had the 'Hep before HIAC the reason no one is allowed to bleed now?

Undertaker is always loving things up. First no piledrivers and now no blood :argh:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

No. That happened years before the No Blood policy, and all it led to was Bob Orton being taken off TV. Also, part of the problem there was WWE knew but didn't tell Taker, if I remember correctly.

The No Blood policy is 100% Vince and because he feels it's inappropriate for a family friendly show. It's not the first time he's had this policy either.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
When was the last time someone bladed (actually bladed, not busted open) on WWE programming?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Meat Recital posted:

When was the last time someone bladed (actually bladed, not busted open) on WWE programming?

Not sure, but it probably involved Ric Flair.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Burrito posted:

Not sure, but it probably involved Ric Flair.

Ric Flair doesn't need to blade. The skin on his head has about as much give as tissue paper. All he has to do is get a vein throbbing on his head and he'll start to bleed.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

WeaselWeaz posted:

No. That happened years before the No Blood policy, and all it led to was Bob Orton being taken off TV. Also, part of the problem there was WWE knew but didn't tell Taker, if I remember correctly.

So WWE hosed up and endangered the Undertaker's health without telling him and Bob Orton is the one who gets punished?

I'm not accusing you of lying by the way I'm accusing WWE of being terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I thought it was that Bob Orton didn't tell anybody.

Also, the match where this happened was pretty much the blowoff to the blowoff of the Randy Orton/Undertaker thing.