Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Xorg using too much CPU generally indicates a problem with your graphics drivers not hardware-accelerating properly. I don't know anything about tuning Intel integrated graphics, but maybe glxinfo can give you a starting point.

Current status:

I have added an ATI card in the AGP slot BUT there doesn't seem to be a way to completely disable the integrated chip. All i can do is make the agp card the primary display. So it seems the driver for the integrated chip still loads and the problem persists.

Is there a way in Linux to prevent that device from loading?

e: to be more specific, any tips on finding the correct driver name to blacklist?

frumpus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think it has to do with /etc/modules (at least on debian?) but don't hold me to that. Might be worth looking into.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

I think I've got it.

Using this info to try blacklisting 'intel_agp'

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

Which of course didn't help at all. I managed to kill the Intel driver but it didn't help matters. It doesn't seem to like the ati card any better than the intel one. I am at a loss.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
What distro are you attempting to run again?

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

This is Debian 5.0.4 Lenny

My current bug, which I will address on monday is this:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=327565

Where the radeon driver is loading before agpgart, causing DRI to be disabled. If I fix that and still have problems I think I'll just start over with the testing release.

This weekend I'm just going to curl up with a cup of hot cocoa and windows XP.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I think I'd try to have a go at the computer with Ubuntu first, if you haven't done that already. It's pretty lovely but definitely the distro most likely to "just work".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just try Fedora or Ubuntu

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
Is there a way to copy and paste without a mouse in a bash shell? I would like to put the output of a pwd into my .bashrc to add an alias for a certain directory. I'm sure there's a way to do this without a mouse, but I don't know how to move a value from the command prompt into vim. Thanks!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

sonic bed head posted:

Is there a way to copy and paste without a mouse in a bash shell? I would like to put the output of a pwd into my .bashrc to add an alias for a certain directory. I'm sure there's a way to do this without a mouse, but I don't know how to move a value from the command prompt into vim. Thanks!

The ability to actually get text from/to the shell and your buffer, depends entirely on your terminal application and/or OS. If you're actually in a bona fide terminal and not using X11, there's no way to do this that I'm aware of. If you're in X11 and just have no mouse, there might be some sort of keyboard driven text selection in your terminal app, though I've never used anything like that.

However, the answer to the "real" question here -- how can I get the output of a command into a text file -- is to redirect, e.g. pwd >> ~/.bashrc (which will append to the file; a single character, >, will overwrite -- be careful with that one!)

However however, if you're actually using vim, you can just do :r !pwd as :r !<some command> will stick a command's output into your buffer at your current cursor location. (for more, :help :r)

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

bitprophet posted:

However however, if you're actually using vim, you can just do :r !pwd as :r !<some command> will stick a command's output into your buffer at your current cursor location. (for more, :help :r)

That's awesome and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I've been running Ubuntu since Gutsy on my old desktop with a Radeon 9600, and the ATI binary driver quit supporting cards that old a while ago. Now, in Karmic, the performance hit with the open-source driver was pretty dramatic. Just opening or scrolling through a mildly complicated web page like a Slashdot article or a page with a large image would freeze Firefox for 5-10 seconds before it completed the task. Youtube and Hulu were playable but not great, and other flash video was often totally unusable. Then I came across this blog post last night, threw that stuff in my xorg.conf verbatim and the results were amazing; performance in everything I was complaining about drastically improved to very acceptable levels.

So I'm just curious, trying to understand a little better, was I not getting any 2d hardware acceleration at all before I added that to xorg.conf? And why did I have to configure this manually -- would Ubuntu not be able to automatically detect the right values for these kinds of settings?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Because that's probably just Xorg using it's default accelmethod, EXA (or UXA for those with support for that). That usually works better, but it seems that the radeon driver is buggy with using 2d acceleration with that method.

You should notify the devs about it and maybe they could throw together a fix for future releases.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 13, 2017

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Is there a way to boot to a partition on an external USB drive?

BT4 is currently a 1.4GB image, and my main USB drive is only 1GB.

I need BT4 for certain stuff. I have a 500GB drive which I partitioned off 8GB on with gparted and then installed BT4 on the partition with unetbootin, but I still can't get my 1008HA to let me select that partition (I boot up, hit escape to enter the menu, the only options are the large, non BT4 parition on the 500GB, or my internal hard drive, no third option for the BT4 partition.)

Did you make the BT4 partition bootable in gparted? As far as I know the BIOS can only boot from a drive, and from there can only pick the 'bootable' partition.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

FISHMANPET posted:

Did you make the BT4 partition bootable in gparted? As far as I know the BIOS can only boot from a drive, and from there can only pick the 'bootable' partition.

The bios can boot from any device that provides a boot ROM, be it a SATA controller, a network controller, or even a PCI card with an operating system on ROM. In the case of the a hard drive, it reads the MBR, and loads the code there. What it's giving you the option of is booting from that particular USB device, which it'll treat exactly like any other hard drive.

What you're thinking of is that the DOS MBR uses the bootable flag to find which partition contains command.com, and the NT MBR uses the bootable flag to find which partition contains NTLDR.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

thelightguy posted:

The bios can boot from any device that provides a boot ROM, be it a SATA controller, a network controller, or even a PCI card with an operating system on ROM. In the case of the a hard drive, it reads the MBR, and loads the code there. What it's giving you the option of is booting from that particular USB device, which it'll treat exactly like any other hard drive.

What you're thinking of is that the DOS MBR uses the bootable flag to find which partition contains command.com, and the NT MBR uses the bootable flag to find which partition contains NTLDR.

Won't GRUB/LILO use a bootable flag to determine which partition it should be booting from?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Won't GRUB/LILO use a bootable flag to determine which partition it should be booting from?

To be honest, I'm not sure if GRUB uses the bootable flag to find where stage 2 is stored, or if it's written into the MBR separately like LILO used to do.

E: Nope, GRUB doesn't give a poo poo about the bootable flag.

corgski fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 15, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GregNorc posted:

Is there a way to boot to a partition on an external USB drive?

The 'new' grub does exactly this.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 13, 2017

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It's a live DVD.

So you just copied the files over from the CD image? Live CDs use an incredibly hackish method of booting that isn't at all compatible with a normal hard drive. Try downloading the VMWare image and writing the contents of the hard disk image in it to your drive.

The blank screen with cursor means there's no bootloader in the MBR, or the bootloader's corrupted.

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 15, 2010

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 13, 2017

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Back in June my brother purchased a Vostro A90 with "Dellbuntu" 8.04 installed. For Christmas he got an external DVD drive.

He can play mp3 files fine (via the included Fluendo codecs)
He can rip CDs to ogg fine
However He cannot rip to mp3, as that option is grayed out in such applications as Rhythmbox.

Calls to Dell Support have sent him in circles with transfers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Merkinman posted:

Back in June my brother purchased a Vostro A90 with "Dellbuntu" 8.04 installed. For Christmas he got an external DVD drive.

He can play mp3 files fine (via the included Fluendo codecs)
He can rip CDs to ogg fine
However He cannot rip to mp3, as that option is grayed out in such applications as Rhythmbox.

Calls to Dell Support have sent him in circles with transfers.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping#MP3 Encoding

Since MP3 encoding techincally requires some kind of license, it doesn't come with Ubuntu by default.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

To fix it, have him run the following:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Alternatively, he could look for gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad and gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly. There might be a metapackage to get all of them.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

Alternatively, he could look for gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad and gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly. There might be a metapackage to get all of them.

Like ubuntu-restricted-extras, perhaps?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

thelightguy posted:

:laugh:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

thelightguy posted:

Uh, yeah, I suppose.

Haven't used ubuntu in a long time. :)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Mint Linux is better anyway, because they don't make people go through that extra bullshit step, they just host their ISOs overseas.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

thelightguy posted:

Mint Linux is better anyway, because they don't make people go through that extra bullshit step, they just host their ISOs overseas.

I love Mint. I run it on my laptop and it boots like five times faster than Windows XP ever did. The only thing that is mildly annoying is how long it takes for packages to make it downstream sometimes, like Java updates. I'm running 6.15, while the newest version is 6.18, just because there's no package available in Synaptic and trying to manually install seems to be a crapshoot whether I can get it to work or not.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I know about all how Canonical can't legally include them and ubuntu-restricted-extras, but shouldn't that have been included in the Fluendo Codecs?

If I tell him to install ubuntu-restricted-extras will that conflict with the Fluendo Codecs?

Basically I know on a normal stock install I'd do ubuntu-restricted-extras. I'm just wondering that since he purchased it from Dell with the Fluendo Codecs:
  • Shouldn't ripping to mp3 be included as well?
  • would the meta package conflict with the existing Fluendo package(s)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Is there a reason that cp -Rpv source/ destination (both are directories) works differently on OS X and Debian?

On OS X, it will copy the contents of source (due to trailing slash) into destination, on Debian it copied source itself into destination:

code:
osx:~/tmp/test user$ mkdir a b; touch a/test; cp -Rv a/ b/
a/ -> b
a//test -> b/test
code:
user@debian:~/tmp/test$ mkdir a b; touch a/test; cp -Rv a/ b/
`a/' -> `b/a'
`a/test' -> `b/a/test'
I almost screwed up a bunch of files we got delivered from a major client due to this difference.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Carthag posted:

Is there a reason that cp -Rpv source/ destination (both are directories) works differently on OS X and Debian?

OS X is heavily based on BSD userland and not GNU userland (as is Linux.) Many, many CLI flags and behaviors differ between the two platforms.

If you regularly work on both you ought to make sure you're cognizant of this; it's usually just an annoyance, but as you found, it can have serious implications in spots :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bitprophet posted:

OS X is heavily based on BSD userland and not GNU userland (as is Linux.) Many, many CLI flags and behaviors differ between the two platforms.

If you regularly work on both you ought to make sure you're cognizant of this; it's usually just an annoyance, but as you found, it can have serious implications in spots :(

Yeah, I was aware that there were some differences and have been careful with destructive operations - this one caught me by surprise though.

I guess there's no way to coax cp into doing it the way I want without going source/* then.

Piss Man 94
Jun 11, 2003
I recently installed Fedora 12 (KDE) and from the looks of it, the "show desktop" button has been removed from the panel. I can't for the life of me find where to re-add it. Anyone here know? I've tried Google but so far no luck.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I have two questions:

1)Is there anything like Freexer for the mac? I don't know what exactly you call what Freexer does. Is that X11 forwarding? I don't need a full desktop environment, I just need to be able to run graphical things like gedit.

2)Is there a way to open up a directory in your home directory completely to another user without access to root? I have a SVN repo in my home folder ~/svn. I am trying to give my partner access to it so she can check in and out. I've chmod 777 ~/svn -R and she gets an access is denied error. Any idea of what to do? Do you have to have ownership of a directory to check out from SVN?

Thanks!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sonic bed head posted:

I have two questions:

1)Is there anything like Freexer for the mac? I don't know what exactly you call what Freexer does. Is that X11 forwarding? I don't need a full desktop environment, I just need to be able to run graphical things like gedit.

2)Is there a way to open up a directory in your home directory completely to another user without access to root? I have a SVN repo in my home folder ~/svn. I am trying to give my partner access to it so she can check in and out. I've chmod 777 ~/svn -R and she gets an access is denied error. Any idea of what to do? Do you have to have ownership of a directory to check out from SVN?

Thanks!

You should make a group for you two so you can set it to 770 instead of 777. Second, your home directory needs to be executable by her too. If you still want to go world readable, you need something like 701, or if you only want it group readable, 710 will work.

And I'm pretty sure Mac has an X11 client built in or that can be installed from the disc.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

FISHMANPET posted:

You should make a group for you two so you can set it to 770 instead of 777. Second, your home directory needs to be executable by her too. If you still want to go world readable, you need something like 701, or if you only want it group readable, 710 will work.

And I'm pretty sure Mac has an X11 client built in or that can be installed from the disc.

I can make a group without being a super user? Also, why does the actual home directory need to be executable by her?

Do you know how I could find out if I have that client? I don't know how I'd use it. Just using the regular terminal, I get (gedit:13702): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: . Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sonic bed head posted:

I can make a group without being a super user? Also, why does the actual home directory need to be executable by her?

Do you know how I could find out if I have that client? I don't know how I'd use it. Just using the regular terminal, I get (gedit:13702): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: . Thanks for your help!

Is this a personal machine of yours, or a public machine (like at a University?) If it's at a University or something, talk to your support staff and they'll help you set something up. If it's your own machine, then why don't you have root access?

The reason the directory needs to be executable is that when a directory is executable it means you can cd into it. Try it yourself, create a directory, give it 777 permissions, cd into it, and then go back out, change it to 666, you won't be able to get in.

As for the Mac thing, I have no idea. Google OSX X11 forwarding or ask in a Mac thread I guess.