Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Bacon of the Sea posted:

I don't know what to think anymore, part of me thinks it must have been building for a fair while, but part of me wonders how they'd have convinced anyone to buy the club if the books said "Owe a bajingo million quid, losing millions a month, no real assets as we haven't paid for any of the players we've brought in yet, short term prospects = need mo money"

Welp time for a bake sale or a raffle.

5 quid winner of the raffle gets Pompey...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craiglen
Sep 2, 2006
Why didn't Portsmouth simply consolidate their debts into one easily affordable monthly payment?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/03/red-knights-manchester-united-david-gill

Apparently, the Red Knights are going nowhere and the Glazers will dig in.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 4, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

For me a big part of the worry is that the only thing that stopped the debt from rising in the last year was the Ronaldo sale, and it wouldn't be sustainable to sell our best player each season to keep the club running. There's a lot of figures that keep getting bandied about in the wake of the bond issue but as I understand turnover has increased for this season so we should see the debt begin to fall. If the Glazers can cut a decent chuck out of the debt each year without leaving the squad uncompetitive and are planning to keep the club for a long time then there isn't really a problem.

What I, and I suspect most United fans, want is something to convince me that in five years time we aren't going to look like Liverpool or Leeds, and also that if the Glazers do get rid of all the debt they don't sell the club to another LBO and start the process over again. Ideally of course I'd like the Glazers gone totally but that's not a realistic expectation.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Craiglen posted:

Why didn't Portsmouth simply consolidate their debts into one easily affordable monthly payment?

they don't own their own home :smith:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TyChan posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/03/red-knights-manchester-united-david-gill

Apparently, the Red Knights are going nowhere and the Glazers will dig in.

This is massively unsurprising. In all honesty, I think the Red Knights thing was for no other purpose than to promote MUST and to keep the issue of the ownership in the news. And if it was, then it appears to have worked, if MUST are being genuine about getting 20,000 new members off the back of it. I also don't think it's a coincidence it came to prominence directly after MUST rolled out the Green & Gold campaign.

In order for the Glazers to leave now, one of two things needs to happen. Either the fans would have to boycott the club en masse, causing a massive Portsmouth-esque implosion; or you'd have to start an active campaign of terrorist violence against the Glazers, their holdings and their loved ones. But people are apparently not keen on that idea. Most people are boring and miserable bastards when you cut to the chase.

There is something of an elephant in the room here, though, in that the assumption has been pretty much a priori, all the way through, that the Glazers could not service the debt and keep United in a successful position. It was only a matter of time before the debts would be defaulted on, players would have to be sold, Old Trafford would be licensed off, and Colleen Rooney would have to turn tricks in the car park.

It would be at that point that any takeover bid would come in, with the Glazers taking a nominal payoff to be free of the debt and from hearing the fail trumpet that you get if you lose at any one of a number of PC versions of Monopoly. You'd probably still have £600m+ worth of debt involved, of course, but that's a reasonable price to pay for a club like United.

The MUST plan was always based around the idea of United going into administration and then being available to buy for around £100m, which I don't think is likely or practical at all. As it is, they have £3m, which is a huge amount for a supporters' trust, and would save a number of clubs, but is essentially nothing in this instance. It would mainly have to have relied on these 'Red Knights' types, and from the noises that came out of there, possibly that was always the intention.

Whether or not the Red Knights would be happy to see us build Barcelona here on England's green and pleasant land, I don't know who knows. I doubt it, though.

But I have a sneaking suspicion now, that by hook or crook, the Glazers may pull it off. If they can actually keep United on an even keel whilst paying down the debt, it's going to be extremely difficult to dislodge them without resorting to aforementioned tactics cribbed from Steven Segal movies.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
I dislike United but I'd be up for terrorist action against the Glazers or any rich person really.

Truth
Feb 24, 2005

Scikar posted:

For me a big part of the worry is that the only thing that stopped the debt from rising in the last year was the Ronaldo sale, and it wouldn't be sustainable to sell our best player each season to keep the club running. There's a lot of figures that keep getting bandied about in the wake of the bond issue but as I understand turnover has increased for this season so we should see the debt begin to fall. If the Glazers can cut a decent chuck out of the debt each year without leaving the squad uncompetitive and are planning to keep the club for a long time then there isn't really a problem.

What I, and I suspect most United fans, want is something to convince me that in five years time we aren't going to look like Liverpool or Leeds, and also that if the Glazers do get rid of all the debt they don't sell the club to another LBO and start the process over again. Ideally of course I'd like the Glazers gone totally but that's not a realistic expectation.

How in the world are you putting liverpool in the same conversation as Leeds? United has much more debt than Liverpool as well, it's not like you'd have to sink further to get to liverpool's level.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

apart from loss of Beer sales, how much would a boycott actually hurt the bottom line? Most of these tickets have been long sold as season tickets.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Adnar posted:

apart from loss of Beer sales, how much would a boycott actually hurt the bottom line? Most of these tickets have been long sold as season tickets.

Well, obviously, it'd have to involve non-renewal of season tickets. It's not the US, so people aren't signed up to 10-year tickets or anything like that.

If you assume the average price for a ticket is £25, though, factoring in season tickets and concessions, that means you've got a matchday gate of £2m. You've then got the extras on top of that, plus all your corporate functions. So it could well be over £3m.

But if you say the stadium is half-full, that's a loss of around a million pounds a game. Thirty or so home games, £30m loss a year. So it wouldn't be crippling in and of itself. But if you couple it with a cutback in merchandising then it could be a fair bit more than that.

But 5,000 people staying away has little chance of being effective. In fact, from a purely business perspective, it would make more sense for the Glazers to increase prices until there were empty seats visible. 50,000 paying £60 makes more money than 75,000 paying £35.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Truth posted:

How in the world are you putting liverpool in the same conversation as Leeds? United has much more debt than Liverpool as well, it's not like you'd have to sink further to get to liverpool's level.

I mean in the sense of having owners that refuse to spend any money because they're desperate to sell the club while still asking more than the club's worth, not that the Liverpool situation is the same as Leeds. There are basically three possible outcomes as long as the Glazers stay: 1) they successfully get rid of the debt and the club more or less goes back to the way it was before they bought it, 2) we end up in Liverpool's situation and slowly deteriorate until either they accept the loss or someone with big pockets shows up, or 3) we end up in Leeds' situation. Case 3 is unlikely but I want something to show we're headed towards 1 rather than 2.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I would think that getting banners on TV might be more effective than a boycott purely because with a team like united there are more than enough plastics to fill the gaps.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Byolante posted:

I would think that getting banners on TV might be more effective than a boycott purely because with a team like united there are more than enough plastics to fill the gaps.

Exactly why a boycott won't work. Getting tickets for a United game is insane, because the demand is so huge. If Johnny Real Fan won't pay his money because he wants to stick it to the Glazers, Bob Plastic won't mind popping over from Ireland / London / Singapore to pay his money.

Big Black Sock
Mar 12, 2007

Rhgr posted:

Exactly why a boycott won't work. Getting tickets for a United game is insane, because the demand is so huge. If Johnny Real Fan won't pay his money because he wants to stick it to the Glazers, Bob Plastic won't mind popping over from Ireland / London / Singapore to pay his money.

True, but if the owners have a reputation for loving over their local fans they won't get nearly as many fans worldwide. When you can hand pick who to support, who wants to join in with a team that has douchebags for owners?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

Big Black Sock posted:

True, but if the owners have a reputation for loving over their local fans they won't get nearly as many fans worldwide. When you can hand pick who to support, who wants to join in with a team that has douchebags for owners?

Erm you pick the team that wins stuff. Who gives a poo poo what the owners are like?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Big Black Sock posted:

Most people who choose won't give a gently caress as long as the team are successful.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Big Black Sock posted:

real madrid do ok

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Big Black Sock posted:

Doesn't stop American sports teams from being successful.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Luigi Thirty posted:

Doesn't stop American sports teams from being successful.

It's a closed market, there is no competition from outside the country. In football, footballers just gently caress off to Spain.

Big Black Sock
Mar 12, 2007

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

real madrid do ok

Could you argue that Madrid have ever had any ambitions other than to win to league recently? Their local fans loving love them.

Mickolution posted:

Most people who choose won't give a gently caress as long as the team are successful.

Lots of teams are successful, but at the end of the day if I'm a glory hunter I still have a choice to make, there's not one team that wins everything all the time its spread out between a few clubs.

Big Black Sock fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 4, 2010

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Big Black Sock posted:

Lots of teams are successful, but at the end of the day if I'm a glory hunter I still have a choice to make, there's not one team that wins everything all the time its spread out between a few clubs.

I don't know what your argument is here. My point was that gloryhunting fans couldn't give a gently caress about the ownership of a club, they just care about success. Especially as a lot of them get into said club as kids.

Chelsea have one of the most despicable owners around, but it didn't stop them gaining a legion of fans shortly after he took over because they started winning things.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Mickolution posted:

Chelsea have one of the most despicable owners around, but it didn't stop them gaining a legion of fans shortly after he took over because they started winning things.

I would take Roman any day over the Americans at Liverpool or Man U.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

He also owns a boat that fires lazers that stop the paps taking photos. c'mon how cool is that?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

willkill4food posted:

That's exactly my point.

Plastics don't care about anything except success.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

quote:

Portsmouth's administrator has placed a valuation on the club for the first time and insists the Premier League outfit are an attractive investment.

"I think buyers will need in excess of £30m to buy the club," Andrew Andronikou told BBC Sport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8548666.stm

That's an optimistic valuation if you ask me...

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Mickolution posted:

That's exactly my point.

Plastics don't care about anything except success.

I meant in terms of morality and general likeability.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

willkill4food posted:

Still proving my point, really.

Big Black Sock
Mar 12, 2007

Mickolution posted:

I don't know what your argument is here. My point was that gloryhunting fans couldn't give a gently caress about the ownership of a club, they just care about success. Especially as a lot of them get into said club as kids.

My point is that even if success is the biggest factor, clubs who are successful and treat their local fans well are more appealing to most international fans than clubs who are successful but have their fans protesting in the stands every game. Either way I'm not exactly sure when Roman has abused his local fanbase. All he's done is bought them trophies.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Big Black Sock posted:

My point is that even if success is the biggest factor, clubs who are successful and treat their local fans well are more appealing to most international fans than clubs who are successful but have their fans protesting in the stands every game. Either way I'm not exactly sure when Roman has abused his local fanbase. All he's done is bought them trophies.

Fair enough, I take your point and yeah, he hasn't done anything to the fans as such. But I really thing you're overestimating how much a lot of fans in Malaysia or the US care about "the club".

Big Black Sock
Mar 12, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Fair enough, I take your point and yeah, he hasn't done anything to the fans as such. But I really thing you're overestimating how much a lot of fans in Malaysia or the US care about "the club".

Oh most of us don't give a gently caress about the club but we definitely want people(especially the local) to think we do. It's all a part of the experience for some people. Get the jersey and the scarf, watch the team on tv, talk about the teams performance on a forum, see the club in
person when the club go on their world tour, get pissed at the owners who are loving up financials. It's all part of the fun, and in the event the club you chose pulls a pompey, you can always pick again.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

willkill4food posted:

Stealing billions of dollars of your own impoverished countrymen is ok?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

willkill4food posted:

So from what I remember reading, Chelsea really owe Abramovich a ton of money in the form of low interest loans which he has made to the club, correct? I guess if anyone else wanted to buy Chelsea from him, depending on the state of his own finances, he could just take a bath on those loans he has made?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't know that much about Chelsea's financial situation except that they haven't quite made a profit yet.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Adnar posted:

Stealing billions of dollars of your own impoverished countrymen is ok?

He stole it from his countrymen, not mine. It would be like if the Queen bought a club =P

And is Roman's rise any worse than Hicks who did it via leveraged buyouts and destroying Corinthians, or than the Glazers who did it by getting public money through their NFL franchise?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TyChan posted:

So from what I remember reading, Chelsea really owe Abramovich a ton of money in the form of low interest loans which he has made to the club, correct? I guess if anyone else wanted to buy Chelsea from him, depending on the state of his own finances, he could just take a bath on those loans he has made?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't know that much about Chelsea's financial situation except that they haven't quite made a profit yet.

I think they are actually no interest loans. Then they come out and say, "WE DON'T OWE ANY MONEY to outside creditors."

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

TyChan posted:

Roman converted all of it into equity in the club I believe.

Mickolution is partially right. I couldn't care less about how nice a person Roman might be, but its not the success people focus on, its his actions.

Nick Griffin could be the nicest person ever but it wouldn't matter, it's his actions that matter.

Hicks and Gillett and the Glazers could be the nicest people ever who made their money by saving drowning puppies, but their leveraged buyouts make them into awful owners.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

willkill4food posted:

And is Roman's rise any worse than Hicks who did it via leveraged buyouts and destroying Corinthians, or than the Glazers who did it by getting public money through their NFL franchise?

are you serious?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Big Black Sock posted:

Oh most of us don't give a gently caress about the club but we definitely want people(especially the local) to think we do. It's all a part of the experience for some people. Get the jersey and the scarf, watch the team on tv, talk about the teams performance on a forum, see the club in
person when the club go on their world tour, get pissed at the owners who are loving up financials. It's all part of the fun, and in the event the club you chose pulls a pompey, you can always pick again.

I can't speak for foreign fans really (technically one myself, but that's slightly different), but I think we get a fairly skewed view of them on here. Most of the non-European fans on here seem to really love their clubs, at least enough to learn about them and discuss them at length. However, I don't think this is what the majority of, say, far east fans are like, who are the ones spending the money.

Also,

Adnar posted:

are you serious?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

willkill4food posted:

Yeah. Abramovic got ownership of previously government-owned services worth many billions for a couple of hundred million through government corruption, essentially draining all that money from the state and therefore it's taxpayers. Those other guys damaged sporting clubs's short-term success.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 4, 2010

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January
In this very thread willKill4Food proves Big Black Sock wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mickolution posted:

I can't speak for foreign fans really (technically one myself, but that's slightly different), but I think we get a fairly skewed view of them on here. Most of the non-European fans on here seem to really love their clubs, at least enough to learn about them and discuss them at length. However, I don't think this is what the majority of, say, far east fans are like, who are the ones spending the money.

I went to a bar to catch Liverpool/Fulham. There were a good number of expats and people who got into the game after living abroad as students. Despite all the news about the club's financial shape and the monetary incentives for various things, the club's problems were all tremendous news to them. They all seemed like pretty serious fans who had been following the EPL for a while to me (at least compared to the people I only see when the World Cup is on).

I think most people aren't that curious about the way their team works if it's not purely related to what's happening on the pitch while they're watching. If I wasn't an anorak who didn't mind taking breaks from work (or whatever) to read the Times or the Guardian, I'm not sure if I'd care that much either.

• Locked thread