Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Iskanderson posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anKWu5QW8TE

Basically it's mistimed.

How can you tell? It looks fishy to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
So wrestlers use tanning beds like every other day... and if I believe all the warnings I've been given over the years, tanning beds are 10 - 300 times more dangerous than the sun. Why isn't the melanoma rate among wrestlers sky-high? Or is it? I've done a little looking, but I don't see any wrestlers who've died of skin cancer.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They die of drug overdoses, heart failure or murder long before something like skin cancer could get them.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Iskanderson posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anKWu5QW8TE

Basically it's mistimed.

It looks more like Hogan's destroyed knees can barely perform a small hop.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

DannoMack posted:

So wrestlers use tanning beds like every other day... and if I believe all the warnings I've been given over the years, tanning beds are 10 - 300 times more dangerous than the sun. Why isn't the melanoma rate among wrestlers sky-high? Or is it? I've done a little looking, but I don't see any wrestlers who've died of skin cancer.

They do? I mean, I'm sure some do, but Triple H doesn't look particularly tanned (anymore), we all saw that match where Kennedy's rub-on tan started running mid-match, Evan Bourne is about as white as white gets without being Sheamus, etc.

The threat of skin cancer from tanning beds is overstated anyway, but still, the only wrestlers I can think of who have been guilty of overdoing it are Hogan, HHH (used to) and HBK (again, used to).

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Free Market Gravy posted:

They do? I mean, I'm sure some do, but Triple H doesn't look particularly tanned (anymore), we all saw that match where Kennedy's rub-on tan started running mid-match, Evan Bourne is about as white as white gets without being Sheamus, etc.

The threat of skin cancer from tanning beds is overstated anyway, but still, the only wrestlers I can think of who have been guilty of overdoing it are Hogan, HHH (used to) and HBK (again, used to).

Orton

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

Orton

Touche.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

FishBulb posted:

They die of drug overdoses, heart failure or murder long before something like skin cancer could get them.

Ouch gonna have to agree with this though. It's like being a smoker in a slasher movie.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

Free Market Gravy posted:

Darren Young.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think a lot of them use self-tanner as opposed to tanning beds.

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
Haha what, Kennedy had his rub-on tan start running during a match? Is there video of this match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Most wrestlers just go to the beach these days since there are no evil midgets sabotaging speed boats. Just good hearted midgets who pull pranks and act in skits.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Darren Young.

It turns out that Darren Young is actually black. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen this.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

It turns out that Darren Young is actually black. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen this.

Wow. It's amazing how much blacker he looks without his Super Saiyan hair.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Where can I find a Morishima backdrop driver tshirt?

That one.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The A-Team Van posted:

Where can I find a Morishima backdrop driver tshirt?

That one.

noah's shop but they dont ship internationally.

CowzAreSilly
Feb 28, 2009
Who are the wrestlers (past and present) who are known as assholes in real life? Someone mentioned the honky tonk man in a different thread, but why?

Also, why does everyone hate Triple H?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CowzAreSilly posted:

Who are the wrestlers (past and present) who are known as assholes in real life? Someone mentioned the honky tonk man in a different thread, but why?

most people hate hhh for being married to the boss's daughter and having a bad streak of putting himself in the main event when others need the push and for going on a really bad title hog streak from 02-04. allegedly.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CowzAreSilly posted:

Because he's married to Vince McMahon's daughter, anything he does that people dislike in the slightest is instantly an atrocity on par with the Baataan death march, because he's only a top guy still because of who his wife is. I think it's actually mellowed out a bit because he's spent so much time out of the title picture, but he's one more world title reign away from being Satan himself to the internet again.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Pretty much all of them are assholes in real life. Wrestling is a lovely carnival buisiness and it breeds shifty petulant assholes. It would be easier to ask who int and we could list never was midcarders for a page or two.

I can't speak for everyone else but I think HHH is loving boring as a wrestler, and his heel promos suck, and his wacky comedy DX poo poo sucks too. A lot of people make a big deal about him being married to Steph but you don't see that a ton in this forum.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Pretty much all of them are assholes in real life. Wrestling is a lovely carnival buisiness and it breeds shifty petulant assholes.

See, I always saw it as the other way around. Most wrestlers know that it's the fans who get them to where they are, and they've had to go through so much bullshit that they're extremely humble.

CM Punk is supposed to be a dick though.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

One of the strangest things is that by all accounts the best heels are more often than not the nicest guys. The bigger the babyface the more likely they are to be a dick away from the scenes. Bret Hart talks about it in his DVD suggesting that heels have an outlet for all their frustrations in the ring, whereas a good guy has to constantly pretend to be nice regardless of how they feel.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's all subjective and based on hersay anyways.

I can't think if any main eventers I haven't heard some ridiculous story about that paints them as a total rear end in a top hat/scumbag except maybe UT or the Rock and I imagine some one willl correct me on them.

Of course not everybody cares about which wrestlers beat their wives or try to sell belts to 5 different auction companies while they are using them as collateral or whatever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hate Triple H because everything about him is so forced and contrived.

I've always found his ceiling to be as a complementary piece to a legit-high calibur main eventer and haven't ever found him to be interesting or compelling when he has to carry a feud or a match mostly himself.

When I look at the best main eventers you can pinpoint a reason why they're to be held in such high esteem. Undertaker was legitimately intimidating for the longest time. Steve Austin was an insanely identifiable character who was undervalued as a worker. The Rock is possibly the most charismatic individual to set foot in the ring. Shawn Michaels could carry a mop and bucket to a **** match. Mick Foley was a legitimately likable person who was very clearly putting everything he had into his biggest matches.

With Triple H, there's literally nothing I can think of that makes me think I should consider him a great main eventer other than the fact that I've basically been told to do so. He's good enough at everything but not really great at anything.

I don't think it's right to say that his wife is the reason he is where he is. He got there before her.

But he's very much a product of circumstance. The WWE reached a point where almost every other main eventer had deteriorated or retired and he was basically thrust to the No. 1 spot for no other real reason than someone had to be.

He's got a tremendous passion for the business and I respect that, but I just don't think he's of the level the WWE tries to pass him off to be.

The whole thing is moot though since for some god forsaken reason a bunch of dumb kids seem to think him and Cena are the greatest things ever.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is John Cena one of those babyface super assholes? b/c I got the impression he was a nice guy.

If so what is an rear end in a top hat John Cena story?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I haven't heard one yet but he's young give him time.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

dusty udder smoker posted:

noah's shop but they dont ship internationally.

This is bums me out hardcore.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

crankdatbatman posted:

Is John Cena one of those babyface super assholes? b/c I got the impression he was a nice guy.

Cena seems like a legitimately likeable guy without any douche stories at all.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

crankdatbatman posted:

Literally, the only bad thing I have ever heard about Cena is this board during the 2005/2006 "WE HATE CENARARLAJ" phase.

The guy is apparently just the best person in the world. Everything from doing a hundred and fifty Make a Wish visits a year to being extremely nice and conversational to fans outside of the ring to every story I've heard about him genuinely loving wrestling...yeah, Cena is basically :3: + :glomp: .

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Skinty McEdger posted:

One of the strangest things is that by all accounts the best heels are more often than not the nicest guys. The bigger the babyface the more likely they are to be a dick away from the scenes. Bret Hart talks about it in his DVD suggesting that heels have an outlet for all their frustrations in the ring, whereas a good guy has to constantly pretend to be nice regardless of how they feel.

Another possible reason for this is that the heels know they're going to look bad in the end. The bad guy always loses eventually and gets humiliated to make the babyface look good and resolve the feud. Being able to accept this task and perform it well requires humility, if nothing else.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

thinking about HHH got me thinking about him and Stephanie as a kayfabe couple, which got me thinking about him stealing her away from Test.

And that just reminds me that WWF once had so much faith in Test that they were setting him up to marry the boss's daughter in-character, and now I'm sitting here giggling like a fool.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lamuella posted:

thinking about HHH got me thinking about him and Stephanie as a kayfabe couple, which got me thinking about him stealing her away from Test.

And that just reminds me that WWF once had so much faith in Test that they were setting him up to marry the boss's daughter in-character, and now I'm sitting here giggling like a fool.

Didn't Test pretty much disappear from the angle after Triple H stole her?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Lamuella posted:

Nah dude...that was just a test.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something that has always struck me about Triple H is that I get a real sense that he legitimately, 100% is absolutely in love with professional wrestling. This isn't a guy who will drop out at the first chance of something "better" (though in many cases that is an admirable and smart thing to do) because as far as he is concerned, this is as good as it gets. I can easily see him being involved in the up-high running of WWE loooooooooong after he retires as an active wrestler, not because he needs a job or can't do anything else, but because it is all he wants to do.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Jerusalem posted:

Something that has always struck me about Triple H is that I get a real sense that he legitimately, 100% is absolutely in love with professional wrestling. This isn't a guy who will drop out at the first chance of something "better" (though in many cases that is an admirable and smart thing to do) because as far as he is concerned, this is as good as it gets. I can easily see him being involved in the up-high running of WWE loooooooooong after he retires as an active wrestler, not because he needs a job or can't do anything else, but because it is all he wants to do.

I get the same feeling about Cena. I legit think that he believes "I can't believe I get to go out and wrestle for a living" even before a house show in podunk Idaho.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Jerusalem posted:

I think, possibly, if Triple H could have made it as a rock star he'd have gone for that. But Lemmy already exists and he can actually play an instrument or two.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still stand by my belief that if Triple H hadn't been able to become a wrestler, he would have become King of the Internet Smarks and be some huge, sloppy-titted shut-in furiously chattering away on his keyboard in his Mom's basement.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think part of the problem with the "wrestlers are cool"/"wrestlers are douches" phenomenon is that so much of it is based on singular incidents. Chris Jericho was thought to be an awesome guy until he went out, had a match with RVD he was proud of, found it being poo poo-talked on the internet, and exploded. Granted, later evidence would indicate he probably was kind of a dick, but I know a lot of folks who wrote him off then and there--but because of how closely the internet fans cling to the wrestlers, if someone has a bad day at work and slags off a fan, their fan narrative usually shifts to "what, him? he's a dick." It's pretty rare instance that you get a Holly or an Orton who's just openly and plainly an rear end in a top hat.

Mind, I agree with the assessment that being an industry made of carnies it's most likely the guys will be not that great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I still stand by my belief that if Triple H hadn't been able to become a wrestler, he would have become King of the Internet Smarks and be some huge, sloppy-titted shut-in furiously chattering away on his keyboard in his Mom's basement.

In a parallel universe HHH is an indy wrestler, the writer of Figure Four and hosts a podcast with Dave Meltzer while Alvarez Bryan is a 13 time WWE champion and hero to the hispanic community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
I'm about to go on a Youtube binge, God Help Me. But can someone help - when was the last high profile match where Bret did the trademark pulling-down-the-straps routine (while in the WWF)?

Also I am thinking of ordering WM 26 simply for the Hart McMahon bout. Will it be as awesome as I am imaging in my Bret Smark dreams?