Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

River Raid
Apr 2, 2004

GODDAMN I AM A HUGE MORON! WITH A JETPLANE OF STUPID!

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not a Tu...

It's actually a dH-Comet instead. With some kind of bizzare radar-testing attachement, apparently.

It's known by the RAF as a NIMROD. It's essentially the same concept as a JSTAR but far better looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

River Raid posted:

It's known by the RAF as a NIMROD. It's essentially the same concept as a JSTAR but far better looking

Specifically the AEW3 Nimrod. The original Nimrod specialized in ASW, while the AEW3 is more about radar and early warning.

Sort of the difference between a P-3 Orion and an AWACS.

Speaking of ugly-rear end British planes, I don't think any aircraft looks more awesomely monstrous than the Victor bomber.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 18, 2010

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Also: this picture is absolutely insane.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

MrChips posted:

No, they're not mothballed Blackbirds, they're mothballed A-12s. There are a number of differences between the A-12 and the SR-71; most notably, the A-12 was a single-seater, and it is thought that the A-12's sensor suite was far less capable than that of the SR-71. Once the SR-71 entered service in 1968, the CIA retired their fleet of A-12s.
Easiest way to tell an A-12 from an SR-71 is the paint. A-12s are painted with US AIR FORCE while the Blackbird's were all black. Early A-12s weren't fully painted and the top half was bare titanium.

Behold the HondaJet:

Made almost completely from carbon composites and combined with Honda redesigned GE engines makes it 30-35% more efficient than similar aircraft.

The engines are mounted in pods above the wings for increased interior room and also aerodynamic benefits.

Deliveries starting in 2011. drat it looks good.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
Wow, it's starting in 2011? I remember reading about that years ago.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

River Raid posted:

I was there many years ago when that one Nimrod decided to plow into Lake Ontario. One of the weirdest days ever...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ozziegt posted:

Wow, it's starting in 2011? I remember reading about that years ago.

They've had a lot of trouble with it. The price has also gone up from their targets if I recall correctly - they're now around $4M instead of closer to $3.5. Still, ought to be competitive in the very light segment, and their sales targets are quite modest.

edit: according to AN you won't be able to get one until 2012, now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 18, 2010

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not a Tu...

...polev?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Boomerjinks posted:

Speaking of ugly-rear end British planes, I don't think any aircraft looks more awesomely monstrous than the Victor bomber.

Ugly? That is best British plane of all time. Except for the Vulcan. And the Spitfire. And the Sopwith Camel.

OK, our friends across the pond have made a lot of great birds. And the Victor was one of them.

Ugly, indeed.

Sorry, rant over. I just wish I had posted one of those to this thread first. (To my eternal shame, I hadn't thought of it)

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 19, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Just had this photo sent to me by my uncle, by way of my dad. He flies for Con Air, fighting forest fires. He started out as a bird-dog, flying the way into fires for the DC-6, and then graduated up to the 6. Then, he went on to fly Westjet for a while, but got tired of just flying a bus all year long, and is now back doing what he enjoyed most. Flying small planes at low altitude over giant pillars of fire. :rock:

I'll try to get a few more details on the photo, as well as what he's flying, if you guys want.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Spotted this today, Boeing on 787 aerial rendezvous with 1928 Model 40

Click for big version

Jalopnik posted:

That's a 1928 Boeing Model 40C, the very first passenger-carrying aircraft built by Boeing, flying in formation with a brand-spankin'-new Boeing 787, the company's youngest passenger-carrying aircraft

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The wing on the 787 is beautiful. I think it may be the best looking pod-under-wing aircraft.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The wing on the 787 is beautiful. I think it may be the best looking pod-under-wing aircraft.

I just noticed that too, seems like it has a huge amount of dihedral compared to the other airliners though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Simkin posted:

Just had this photo sent to me by my uncle, by way of my dad. He flies for Con Air, fighting forest fires. He started out as a bird-dog, flying the way into fires for the DC-6, and then graduated up to the 6. Then, he went on to fly Westjet for a while, but got tired of just flying a bus all year long, and is now back doing what he enjoyed most. Flying small planes at low altitude over giant pillars of fire. :rock:

I'll try to get a few more details on the photo, as well as what he's flying, if you guys want.

That looks like an Air Tractor AT-802 Fire Boss to me. Kind of a unique water bomber - it's a converted agricultural aircraft that operates much in the same way as a Canadair CL-215/415 water bomber, only on a smaller scale; the aircraft will skim along the surface of a body of water, scooping water into the tank via inlets on the floats. I imagine since the AT-802 is a rather small aircraft, it affords a lot of flexibility as to what bodies of water you can use - rivers probably wouldn't be out of the question with that aircraft.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Simkin posted:

Hey are the Conair BBQs as awesome as everyone says??? I was on the weekend shift when I was at Cascade, so was never able to go...

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

Simkin posted:

Hey they have a bunch of those at my airport! Make circuits a pain when all of them are taking off in a row though.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

How slow you think the 787 had to fly to stay with the Model 40 and a Bonanza?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Mobius1B7R posted:

How slow you think the 787 had to fly to stay with the Model 40 and a Bonanza?

The Model 40's top speed is only 111 knots. I really doubt the 787 was actually flying formation with it. More likely they staged a flyby and snapped the picture at the right moment.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are the 787's wings always bent up that high, or they just under load in that pic?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Are the 787's wings always bent up that high, or they just under load in that pic?

In flight the 787's wings are designed to flex upwards.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sexual Lorax posted:

It's not a Tu...

...polev?

Also works with Tu...maaah! but I hope I'm not explaining the obvious here.

Somewhere there's a great video of that test where everybody's like :ohdear: as they gradually increase the load.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 20, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Minto Took posted:

In flight the 787's wings are designed to flex upwards.

That'd freak the poo poo out of me if I had a window seat on the wings.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That'd freak the poo poo out of me if I had a window seat on the wings.

Even knowing that they can flex to some ridiculous degree and that it's part of the design?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even knowing that they can flex to some ridiculous degree and that it's part of the design?

If I didn't know it, yeah.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even knowing it, the instant we hit turbulence and they started to bounce a little I would probably get somewhat nervous.

Also, here is a vid of the wings unflexing upon landing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMlgFnbvK4

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

THAT is loving awesome.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

MrChips posted:

That looks like an Air Tractor AT-802 Fire Boss to me. Kind of a unique water bomber - it's a converted agricultural aircraft that operates much in the same way as a Canadair CL-215/415 water bomber, only on a smaller scale; the aircraft will skim along the surface of a body of water, scooping water into the tank via inlets on the floats. I imagine since the AT-802 is a rather small aircraft, it affords a lot of flexibility as to what bodies of water you can use - rivers probably wouldn't be out of the question with that aircraft.

Ah, yes, that's what it is he flies. It seemed like a silly name for an airplane at the time, but it makes sense, now that you mention it as a repurposed agricultural plane. He's had to make an emergency landing on a highway in Alberta once, when he ran out of fuel (gauge problem or ?), but seems to love flying the things.

My grandpa was a bush pilot and used to fly (mainly) a Beaver, and would talk about how they used to use that for forest fire fighting, skimming off lakes and rivers. Somehow the stories seemed less scary than his ones about doing short landings on glaciers, or other silly places that hunters or geologists wanted to be put down.

As for the conair bbqs, I can ask, but I imagine that with the mentality of the pilots being what it is, that they'd be fairly entertaining.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

You know, the thing about 787 wing flex is that I've only ever seen people talk about it with regard to that airplane, and even then only in "OMG WE AL GON DIE :(" terms.

If you watch out the window of a conventional-wing airliner, though, the wingtips sit higher in flight than while on the ground and they look like they're outright going to snap off at any given moment in turbulence, and yet nobody ever whines about that.

Think there's any reason for that?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
It's even worse at take-off when the wing tanks are heavy with fuel. After watching that 777 wing-flex-to-failure test, I'm a lot less worried about a small bit of movement during flight.

Wing flex doesn't bother me nearly so much as wing oscillations. Watching that wing-tip flap up and down about 6' in-flight is pretty disconcerting.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

grover posted:

Wing flex doesn't bother me nearly so much as wing oscillations. Watching that wing-tip flap up and down about 6' in-flight is pretty disconcerting.

birds have been doing this for thousands of years what are you worried about

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.
If an airplane exhibited the full range of motion of a bird's wing I think I'd freak out too.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

grover posted:

It's even worse at take-off when the wing tanks are heavy with fuel. After watching that 777 wing-flex-to-failure test, I'm a lot less worried about a small bit of movement during flight.

During early testing of the U-2, pilots encountered situations where the wings were flexing out of phase with each other, which had to be incredibly unnerving in an aircraft that delicate.

When the U-2 is operating at lower altitudes, it actually requires a special "gust alleviation system" to keep turbulence from overstressing the fuselage and wings.

When activated (normally when climbing to and descending from cruise altitudes), the deflects both ailerons 7.5 degrees above their neutral position, and it also drives the flaps upwards 6.5 degrees. By deflecting the flaps and ailerons, the system unloads the wing, which drastically reduces the forces that turbulent air can impart to the aircraft.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Hope this applicable since it involves aeronautics.

Take a high performance wingsuit capable of very slow descent rates and add a high performance parachute (both with skilled pilots) and viola, wingsuit surfing.

http://raisethesky.org/2010/04/wingsuit-surfing/

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I wish I could find that picture of the JU-52 flying in formation with a brand-spankin' new Lufthansa A-340. Apparently the 340 was flying with flaps full and slats out, barely above idle, and the Auntie Ju was flying balls to the wall, and could still barely keep up.

Amazing the advances we've made.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

mobby_6kl posted:

Also works with Tu...maaah! but I hope I'm not explaining the obvious here.

Somewhere there's a great video of that test where everybody's like :ohdear: as they gradually increase the load.

Saw that testing rig last weekend on a tour of the factory with a VIP guide. He explained that eventually they want to break the wings but they have to build a bigger rig first. The whole place is insane, we got a specialized tour where we walked through a 747-8 being built and saw several 787s in various stages of assembly. Even if you do the public tour (it costs something like $15) it's still worth it. No pictures though because of corporate espionage and they don't want people dropping cameras and other poo poo onto the factory floor below :(

To make up for it I got some sweet looks at seaplanes and radial engines nearby at kenmore air:

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Kind of crazy that most of the aircraft (beavers, turbo beavers, and otters) and engines have been totally rebuilt because they're so old. I would kill for the chance to work there though :black101:

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
Are we entering the age of hypersonic flight?

http://www.physorg.com/news194161305.html

quote:

The X-51A Waverider was released from a B-52 Stratofortress off the southern California coast Wednesday morning, the Air Force reported on its website. Its scramjet engine accelerated the vehicle to Mach 6, and it flew autonomously for 200 seconds before losing acceleration. At that point the test was terminated.

The Air Force said the previous record for a hypersonic scramjet burn was 12 seconds.

"We are ecstatic to have accomplished many of the X-51A test points during its first hypersonic mission," said Charlie Brink, an X-51A program manager with the Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.

"We equate this leap in engine technology as equivalent to the post-World War II jump from propeller-driven aircraft to jet engines," Brink said.

The Waverider was built for the Air Force by Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne and Boeing Co.

Joe Vogel, Boeing's director of hypersonics, said, "This is a new world record and sets the foundation for several hypersonic applications, including access to space, reconnaissance, strike, global reach and commercial transportation."

Four X-51A cruisers have been built for the Air Force, and the remaining three will be tested this fall.

"No test is perfect," Brink said, "and I'm sure we will find anomalies that we will need to address before the next flight."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I spent a day last week in Seattle and had to stop by the Museum of Flight. An aircraft nut like myself could easily spend an entire day in that place. Unfortunately, my camera batteries died towards the end of the trip so I didn't get as many photos as I wanted of WWI/II birds. Probably just as well though as we stayed pretty much right to closing time and I think Mrs. Slidebite would have killed me if I asked to go back the next day.

Mockup of the new Mars Rover.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

It is much larger than the existing Pathfinder rovers, probably about the same size as a small car. It's also powered by nuclear decay so it won't be dependent on favorable light for power like the earlier ones as well.

Also, coincidentally, I was at the OMSI a couple days earlier and got saw a great model of the pathfinder/Athena rovers.

One of the main reasons I had to go to this museum was for this beauty:

Click here for the full 1024x437 image.

Click here for the full 1024x748 image.

Weee!

Click here for the full 1024x714 image.

Mig 15 Fagot (tee-hee-hee)

:canada:

Replica of the Wright Flyer

Click here for the full 1024x534 image.

Now for the AI crossover

F104

Click here for the full 555x1024 image.

I remembered hearing stories about the leading edge being so sharp that they had to install protectors at times to keep ground crews from gouging their heads open, so I go roughly inline with the wing and tried to take a shot of it. Yep, not much of a stretch to imagine it as a blood letting device.

One of their newer acquisitions

Click here for the full 1024x449 image.

A view I've seen a few times in FSX but never in the flesh.

Click here for the full 971x768 image.

Old Air Force One conference room:

GET ME LANGLEY!!!

I pictured whomever putting this plane here just landing it right on this spot, tossing the keys to the museum and walking away.

Click here for the full 1024x432 image.

Sadly, my Tomcat photos looked like poo poo. My batteries were completely dead (my camera wouldn't even power on after this) and it started to rain.

Click here for the full 1024x445 image.

Saw this in Northern Washington while on the highway heading home.

Click here for the full 1024x695 image.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

slidebite posted:

Mig 15 Fagot (tee-hee-hee)

Somebody learn me some airplane :science:

What's the divider in the nose for? Just structural bracing? Or is there another purpose it serves?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Revolvyerom posted:

Somebody learn me some airplane :science:

What's the divider in the nose for? Just structural bracing? Or is there another purpose it serves?

From what I understand, the nose splitter is primarily there to duct air around the cockpit to the engine.

The way the Mig-15 is designed, the cockpit sits directly between the intake and the engine, so the splitter takes the incoming air and divides it into ducts that pass on either side of the cockpit and into the engine.

During the Mig-15's operational life, the splitter also proved a handy place to mount things like landing lights and radar antenna, although those components got moved around quite a bit as production progressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Watch this in HD to get full effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORVibQMaTs8

A flight in a B-17G from Chester County Airport in PA to Albany International in NY.