Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RandomFerret posted:

I like the garage sale. It's a relatable situation involving two of the main characters, it's only one page, and you get a sense of the writing style with the different dialects going on.

The dialects are the best part of Achewood to me. The way each character is defined by not just what they say, but how they say it. It reminds me of Pogo, and that is never a bad thing.
Phillipe and the Brown Couch is good for dialects, because it has Emeril and the denizens of the transfer station.

Hell, it even starts out with Vlad. "Now, we drink! We feast! We spit on the face of death for another day! BAH!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
If they're willing to commit an hour or two to reading a few months' worth of Achewood, I would start them on Ray getting the piano and the subsequent road trip. Lot of funny strips, and it sets the direction going forward by really developing the Ray and Beef relationship. And the months following that arc also have a lot of great stuff, like the Oregon Trail emulator, the introduction of Molly and Nice Pete, and gently caress Algebra.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
I ended up starting with a direct link to the GOF storyline, and before I got way into it i backed out a bit and I think got linked to the first comics the cats were in, maybe. I didn't read the very beginning for a while. But I started in a lot earlier than a lot of the starting points here.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

I'm not gonna say GURLZ WONT LIEK IT because I know that's not a given, but in general I think the GOF has a more direct appeal to guys than girls.

I'm a girl and I love Achewood and I bought the GOF book and gave it to my boyfriend and he thought it was "weird". Which is totally wrong of him but whatever, I'll win him over on Achewood one of these days.

(Also one of my friends is coincidentally also a girl, and has a tattoo of Ultra Peanut, and her husband has one of Phillipe which is so :3)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

vonnegutt posted:

I'm a girl and I love Achewood and I bought the GOF book and gave it to my boyfriend and he thought it was "weird". Which is totally wrong of him but whatever, I'll win him over on Achewood one of these days.

(Also one of my friends is coincidentally also a girl, and has a tattoo of Ultra Peanut, and her husband has one of Phillipe which is so :3)

A-loving-dorable. :3:

Hey, Onstadt, when are we going to be able to buy our own SCIENCE DIET shirts?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Rustmouth Chafings posted:

If they're willing to commit an hour or two to reading a few months' worth of Achewood, I would start them on Ray getting the piano and the subsequent road trip. Lot of funny strips, and it sets the direction going forward by really developing the Ray and Beef relationship. And the months following that arc also have a lot of great stuff, like the Oregon Trail emulator, the introduction of Molly and Nice Pete, and gently caress Algebra.
Yeah, that's where I started, and I never looked back.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Let's get the WORD from the BIRD, shall we? Onstad what is the "OFFICIAL RECOMMENDED STARTING POINT" for new readers?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Johnny Aztec posted:

what is the "OFFICIAL RECOMMENDED STARTING POINT" for new readers?

Obviously here is the absolute best starting point. :nws: for being nude. For being so nude.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The second Achewood hardcover starts with The Party because Onstad says that's where the strip found its legs. All strips prior to that arc are included as bonus material.

Start with The Party.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The first Achewood comic I saw was the arc where Ray and Roastbeef invented the mobile phone jock strap.

Never looked back baby.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I don't want to go down the road of favorite strips(they are all the best", but I particularly like this one: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04292004

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't want to go down the road of favorite strips(they are all the best", but I particularly like this one: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04292004

I love the way Beef looms in over Ray to deliver his final line.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Happy Hippo posted:

The second Achewood hardcover starts with The Party because Onstad says that's where the strip found its legs. All strips prior to that arc are included as bonus material.

I do not recall this one appearing, why is that Mr. Onstad :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goddamn it is weird not to see mouseover text on an Achewood

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I started from the beginning and kept clicking for a solid weekend or so, only stopping when suddenly the "next strip" button wasn't clickable anymore. That was "Keith Moon's Alive Head" as I recall.

Man, the memories...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I love the way Beef looms in over Ray to deliver his final line.

The look on Rays face in the last few panels sells it. He isn't happy that his weird fetish has been discovered.

This comic does have some incredible moments. Rays night in Germany, Molly and Roast Beef getting married The Fight arc and just moments with Lyle.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SeanBeansShako posted:

The look on Rays face in the last few panels sells it. He isn't happy that his weird fetish has been discovered.

This comic does have some incredible moments. Rays night in Germany, Molly and Roast Beef getting married The Fight arc and just moments with Lyle.

Do not dismiss Beefs Magical Underpants arc!
LOOK AT THE GENIUS! LOOK AT IT!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Do not dismiss Beefs Magical Underpants arc!
LOOK AT THE GENIUS! LOOK AT IT!

Why would I dimiss the arc that got me hooked on the comic? Also, remember when Ray went undercover to undermine Tina and get her back? good times.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The bit where Ray yells at Teodor for yammering on about "How Wikipedia is" and sarcastically telling him that he would just love to hear how Wikipedia is at that particular moment is hillarious.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also when Ray made it home after walking all the way from Mexico and demanding "Emeril food"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Happy Hippo posted:

Also when Ray made it home after walking all the way from Mexico and demanding "Emeril food"

WHY THE HELL IS NO ONE STUFFING A LASAGNA IN A TURKEY?!
PUT BUTTER ON WHAT I SAID!

edit: oh god I was reading through the archives and I found a strip I must have missed: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09202007 Oh lyle, how low will you go?

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 31, 2010

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

You know how a few pages back somebody substituted an Idaho inmate for Nice Pete? Well, thanks to a Cracked article I found this picture, which screams "humanized feline serial killer" even more.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
My My, Is that a Fine Cherry Pie I see on that rock over there?
/

ManiacClown posted:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I remember when I first started reading Achewood I found it incredibly difficult to remember who was who and had what personality. Phillipe was my anchor - I could make sense of him because it was really clear he's a little kid. From there I could start working out everyone else.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Remember when Pat got that Porkpie hat? god what a dick.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
:siren:New Strip:siren:
A frightening glimpse into the mind of the man (cat) himself.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
If this is the first Achewood strip you've ever read, you're going to have some questions.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
[Inevitable comparison to Silent Hill goes here.]

This is what it is like to be Nice Pete.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hasn't the fact that Nice Pete doesn't see her as having eyes been referenced before?

It's creepy as gently caress

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Sigma-X posted:

Hasn't the fact that Nice Pete doesn't see her as having eyes been referenced before?

It's creepy as gently caress

Yes, this strip is actually a creepily accurate visualization of what he said here.

More of Nice Pete's thoughts on women

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Also notice the puckered anus of a mouth. I like this opportunity to see into the mind of Nice Pete, complete with first-person perspective. Were I a lesser man, I may not be able to sleep.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I would bet money that Nice Pete's favorite movie is Human Centipede.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

Also notice the puckered anus of a mouth. I like this opportunity to see into the mind of Nice Pete, complete with first-person perspective. Were I a lesser man, I may not be able to sleep.

Wow, I didn't even realize that was an anus until you said it. So is that... Blood? poo poo? The mind reels.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I just figured it was a messed-up mouth spurting blood.

Melche
Apr 29, 2009
I was thinking bullet hole? Like that dude in the Preacher comic who shot himself in the face and just had a puckered rear end-like mess only this is a good comic

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Pete's thought cloud after it pops also looks a little bit like an rear end cleft. This is just how his mind works (or mine, if that was unintentional).

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

ManiacClown posted:

You know how a few pages back somebody substituted an Idaho inmate for Nice Pete? Well, thanks to a Cracked article I found this picture, which screams "humanized feline serial killer" even more.

Ever look at a weird album cover and wonder how it came to be? For this one, you can read the full story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was wonderfully, horrifyingly disturbing!

ZipOtter
Jul 22, 2007

I thought her face looked like a donut. You know, with the hole where they squeeze the jelly in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

ZipOtter posted:

I thought her face looked like a donut. You know, with the hole where they squeeze the jelly in?

Upon re-reading, wow, that is a woman.

Denny's.