Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The woman has an rear end-mouth. Pete imagines using the power of his Gaze to kill the woman, to twist her until warm warm blood gushes from her foul orifice and the sounds of breaking glass and burning birds finally cease. For tonight.

Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

ZipOtter posted:

food chain! get used to it!

hmm

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yikes, Nice Pete. Yikes.

Regarding when to start the comic, I would say the beginning everytime. You have to start there and just keep going until you get it. No matter where you start, it's going to take a while to get Onstad's style and into the characters (even if there are numerous individual episodes with more mass appeal) so it's best to start at the beginning when there was generally less funny to miss by not getting it. There's also just the fact that it feels more natural watching the characters evolve instead of getting snapshots way further down the line.

Then again, there are those people who like to read the last page of a book before reading the whole thing so I guess everyone's different.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 2, 2010

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Yeah, Achewood's not something you can really show someone "your favorite strip" and expect them to get it and find it hilarious/touching.

People won't care about the wedding if they don't know about Beef or Molly, and people won't care about my personal favorite strip if they don't know Ray and why he'd fake-jump a motorcycle over a mountain on his desktop computer.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Capsaicin posted:

people won't care about my personal favorite strip if they don't know Ray and why he'd fake-jump a motorcycle over a mountain on his desktop computer.

My co worker was VNC'd into my computer and I did that. Its pretty much my default reaction whenever I see a connection pop up in the corner.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
Welp Zalgo got Nice Pete.

This isn't surprising.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

StealthStealth posted:

Welp Zalgo got Nice Pete.

Psssh. Zalgo was just a minor god of the harvest and no harm to anyone, at least until he met Nice Pete on a cold night in Appalachia.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, Achewood's not something you can really show someone "your favorite strip" and expect them to get it and find it hilarious/touching.

People won't care about the wedding if they don't know about Beef or Molly, and people won't care about my personal favorite strip if they don't know Ray and why he'd fake-jump a motorcycle over a mountain on his desktop computer.

That's funny, it's one of the ones I show people first when talking about Achewood too.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Regardless of where we all say to begin, I think we can all agree that hasn't nearly been enough Lyle lately.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06052003

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
As far as sucking someone in, I think the GOF stands well on it's own, especially as a nice tactile book in your hands. I had a guy reading the beginning and before he even got to the comic part he was asking if this poo poo was REAL :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

glug posted:

As far as sucking someone in, I think the GOF stands well on it's own, especially as a nice tactile book in your hands. I had a guy reading the beginning and before he even got to the comic part he was asking if this poo poo was REAL :)

I hope the answer was "yes".

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Capsaicin posted:

I agree with you for the most part but that is not to say that Achewood doesn't have hilarious strips that anybody can pick up and laugh pretty hard at.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Melche posted:

I was thinking bullet hole? Like that dude in the Preacher comic who shot himself in the face and just had a puckered rear end-like mess only this is a good comic

Preacher was loving awesome, I'm sorry you couldn't appreciate it.

I think my favorite strip is still:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12052003

It's the one that got me to start reading.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

The question has been posed,

"Where is the ideal place to start reading Achewood?"

Never, ever read Achewood. If you have, lie like you would to a cop holding a dirty panty. A cop holding a dirty panty at arms' length in front of the whole school, in the gym, and you are the only suspect, in that community of twelve thousand.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

if it's not mine, then what do I have to be ashamed of?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chris Onstad posted:

The question has been posed,

"Where is the ideal place to start reading Achewood?"

Never, ever read Achewood. If you have, lie like you would to a cop holding a dirty panty. A cop holding a dirty panty at arms' length in front of the whole school, in the gym, and you are the only suspect, in that community of twelve thousand.

I'll tattoo this on my vestigial tail.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
This strip is the ideal starting place; not because it's the beginning of an epic arc, but because it'll hook just about anyone, convincing them to hit "First" and start reading from there.

As soon as I get employed in an office-like environment, a framed/signed print of that is going to be mine and is going to be displayed in a place of prominence.

Also, Chris, is there one strip that you noticed is overwhelmingly the most popular for buying prints?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
There's only one rule to starting with Achewood, and it's not helpful. Actually it's more like an immutable law of the universe. If you suggest a series of strips to a friend, say ones about a cat going to the moon or a little otter going home to see his mom, your friend will wait a few weeks, check out those links, then hit up the front page. And on that day he will see a naked Nice Pete and his horrifying view of the world. And your friend will stop responding to your e-mails.

I love Achewood, have read through the whole thing several times, and can't wait to see what the future holds for our favorite cats and stuffed animals. But drat, it can be hard to recommend at times. I think this Achewood Law also works for publicity about the comic, and I seem to recall Onstad poking fun at that with a weird-rear end strip that appeared the day of an NPR interview.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Usually this is the first arc I show to new readers.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Capsaicin posted:

I would bet money that Nice Pete's favorite movie is Human Centipede.

Embarrassing personal aside/derail here: I'm a grown man who's seen tons of horror films and read tons of horror stories/novels. I've seen/read articles about everything from Cronenberg's "body horror" classics to "Cannibal Holocaust" to "Re-Animator" to Jörg Buttgereit's "Nekromantik" to the Japanese films like "Tetsuo: The Iron Man" and the "Guinea Pig" series. I like to think there's not a whole lot horror-film wise that will disturb me. I have never seen the film you mentioned and so I Googled it.

Last night, I experienced the first nightmare I've ever had from a film I have never seen. Just reading the Wiki entry and seeing a still shot or two were enough to disturb my subconscious. There's no way in hell I will ever watch this film short of being strapped down "Clockwork Orange" style.

To relate this back to Achewood: not only would Nice Pete view this as his favorite film, but he'd sit back and take notes, with an air of scientific detachment, and find ways to "improve" upon things. :gonk:

Also I haven't gotten a lot of people hooked on Achewood. My brother really got into it with the Beef on Moon arc, and I tried to impress a Welsh girl I know with the arc about Beef and Molly's wedding. :-/

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Grandpa Pap posted:

Last night, I experienced the first nightmare I've ever had from a film I have never seen. Just reading the Wiki entry and seeing a still shot or two were enough to disturb my subconscious. There's no way in hell I will ever watch this film short of being strapped down "Clockwork Orange" style.

I had a nightmare from a vague description one of my friends told me. I think it's a new record for scaredy-cat.

I find the best way to hook my 'real life' friends is to simply hand them the first book. Beyond that I'm at a loss. :smith:

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Huh, I never noticed it, but there is like a two-month gap between the "early strips" placed at the end of Worst Song... and the "proper starting point" at the beginning of it. What's up with that?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I just realized it's Jaime the Science Friend. For the last four years I thought it was Jaime the Science Fiend. I....I'm a little disappointed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haschel Cedricson posted:

"I'm guessing it gets less rare the closer you get to a school...." is such a great line.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Wandering Knitter posted:

I had a nightmare from a vague description one of my friends told me. I think it's a new record for scaredy-cat.

I find the best way to hook my 'real life' friends is to simply hand them the first book. Beyond that I'm at a loss. :smith:

I don't know whether or not I'm going to have nightmares from having just read the brief description at the top of the wikipedia page about that movie. I hope not. The only respite in the description is (I'm going to spoiler this because no one should have to know anything about this movie if they don't want to): "When approaching investors prior to filming, Six did not mention the mouth-to-anus aspect of the plot, fearing it would put off potential backers." Smart thinking, Six. Smart thinking.

I think that showing the film to Nice Pete would be a terrible idea insomuch as it would be the kind of thing he would consider inspirational.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

bloodychill posted:

I think that showing the film to Nice Pete would be a terrible idea insomuch as it would be the kind of thing he would consider inspirational.

Would he ditch the Bible and write Human Caterpillar fan-fiction?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Dove from Above posted:

Obviously, he would begin sending letters to attorneys to pursue legal action against the producers of Human Caterpillar for plagiarizing his Bible fan-fiction. I mean, that's basically the entire Song of Solomon, right there.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Dove from Above posted:

The movie you're thinking of is Human Centipede, but caterpillar sounds more innocent and yet somehow simultaneously more horrifying. Maybe it's the thought of what the human caterpillar will metamorphosize into when it cocoons itself.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It also sounds like a title a child would hear and be drawn to.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Human Caterpillar sounds like a Takashi Miike film, or the next entry in the "Guinea Pig" series: avant-garde Japanese gore film that features disturbing yet fantastical imagery, which allows you to distance yourself from it and feel safe because it obviously couldn't happen in reality.

Needless to say, Nice Pete wouldn't be into it.

(apologies for my turning the Achewood thread into Cinema Discusso, but hey, it just proves that Onstad's cartoon cats can disturb as well as entertain :v:)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Weird that this came up. A few of the artists brought this movie to watch in the studio on monday.

Don't watch it.

I'm serious. Don't. The plot is stupid, the acting is bad and the camerawork looks more like a vacuum commercial than a horror movie. It's like they went from premise to finished product without ever stopping to watch it themselves. It's not scary, it's not suspenseful, it's not even gross. How do you come up with an idea like this and not make it gross people out?

The makeup was so badly done that the actual human centipede just looked like three people doing something weird and private. Everybody's covered in bandages. This is the centrepiece of your film, this is the concept that's giving people nightmares just from reading a synopsis, THIS IS THE THING YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY ON. You need more than two rolls of charmin 2-ply and a red sharpie.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
All of that just makes me want to watch it even more.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

I am sorely vexed because I've just sprung for three months of fanflow but it's doing weird things. I am trying to read July 2008 (old school), and at some stage in the loading of the flow page it always suddenly goes white and tries to take me to a closed PollDaddy poll that I gather Onstad ran around that time. It's done the same thing in both Firefox and Safari (I'm on a Mac), and it does it whether I have it in list view or expanded view. Can anyone here deduce why it might be doing this and how I could get it to stop?
If this is an inappropriate question for here and now I apologise.

McGravin posted:

The movie you're thinking of is Human Centipede, but caterpillar sounds more innocent and yet somehow simultaneously more horrifying. Maybe it's the thought of what the human caterpillar will metamorphosize into when it cocoons itself.
I like my title better, because you'd need a LOT more people stitched a2m to justify calling it a centipede.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

I'm looking at July 2008 in list view, but there are like fifty updates a day, because it was the "live coverage" of the wedding. Which date seems to make the poo poo fly?

Thanks for pointing it out, I should fix problems that there are.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Chris Onstad posted:

I'm looking at July 2008 in list view, but there are like fifty updates a day, because it was the "live coverage" of the wedding. Which date seems to make the poo poo fly?

Thanks for pointing it out, I should fix problems that there are.

For reasons I cannot understand, it seems to have got better on its own. I'm going to blame gremlins. Sorry for wasting some time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We live for momentary diversions on the road to the grave.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

I'm going to go in there and make the problem again, so you can enjoy it as it once was, so you can be on memory lane.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Chris Onstad posted:

I'm going to go in there and make the problem again, so you can enjoy it as it once was, so you can be on memory lane.

Now I'm flashing on Andy Rooney praising Ray's banjo music.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
:frogsiren: New strip :frogsiren:

Wow...just...drat. This is the first time I've seen a Nice Pete storyline, and I guarantee that if I had not already been familiar enough with Achewood to not be fazed, I wouldn't know what the gently caress to think.

i've only been reading for about a year please don't hate me :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This is a great strip for so many different reasons.