Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

82Daion posted:

What transmission are you using with the B230FT? If you're keeping your M46, you won't have to change anything, but if you're swapping to an M47, you'll need to find a rear end from a '89 or newer 240 along with the electronic gauge cluster. The LH2.4 240s had a sensor in the rear end that provided a signal for the electronic speedo, so the M47 doesn't have any provision for driving a speedo cable.

Nor does the AW71 I swapped into my wagon, which is why I've been running without a speedometer for the past couple months. :argh:

I'm gonna be running an M47 so I guess it's off to the yunkyard for more parts for me! Thanks for the info!

$160 later, I have every gasket and rubber bit I need for my car from the Volvo dealership. Just need the heater hoses (upper and lower) and new fuel lines (as well as the gauge cluster and rearend that you mentioned).

My friend is running an open downpipe in his DOHC 16V turbo right now and the thing is louder than my neighbor's Harley. It's pretty loving sweet but almost getting pulled over twice isn't. (he bolted down an alley and immediately parked and started skateboarding and the cop circled three times without figuring out what went on since all he was going by was the sound, hahaha).

rubbersoul posted:

Does anybody know what the little clips that hold the brake lines into their brackets on 240s are called? I can't seem to find them anywhere for sale.

You'll have to be more specific. There's tons of brackets that hold brake lines. If you can give me a general location I can get a part number for you, possibly.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Xovaan posted:

You'll have to be more specific. There's tons of brackets that hold brake lines. If you can give me a general location I can get a part number for you, possibly.

It's the piece that holds the soft line to the hard line through the line brackets in in the front wheel wells, it's a collar with two tabs that you bend inward toward the line to keep them from falling though the bracket. They're present on both the strut and the body brackets at the connections. Specific enough I hope?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

rubbersoul posted:

It's the piece that holds the soft line to the hard line through the line brackets in in the front wheel wells, it's a collar with two tabs that you bend inward toward the line to keep them from falling though the bracket. They're present on both the strut and the body brackets at the connections. Specific enough I hope?

Click here for the full 739x988 image.

Does this help? Sorry, I was in a hurry earlier so I couldn't link a schematic earlier. There's a lot of brackets that hold lines of various sizes so I figure this is easier. :)

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

Xovaan posted:

Does this help? Sorry, I was in a hurry earlier so I couldn't link a schematic earlier. There's a lot of brackets that hold lines of various sizes so I figure this is easier. :)

Awesome! #9 in the diagram above, it's a line lock or something I just have no idea what it's properly called.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Having got bored looking at every cheap lovely volvo within 100 miles, I've doubled my budget. Can someone tell me what to avoid before 2004 on a manual diesel v70 please?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

rubbersoul posted:

Awesome! #9 in the diagram above, it's a line lock or something I just have no idea what it's properly called.

Part #1229350 "Hose Retainer"

They'll be cheap, grab an extra or two.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Do 240s (5spd M47) typically require some effort to get into gear, specifically 1st and 2nd? The effort required seems mostly the sideways portion, once pulled over enough the up or down movement is relatively easy. Is this normal?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Is anyone in this thread in any proximity to a yard with a/some 740 Turbo(s), specifically the 1985-1989 models? I need to get some intake parts for my +T project, but no one on Turbobricks seems to have the parts, and there aren't any in the local yards. Of course, I'd be willing to compensate you for the parts and your time.

Send me a message at ck299906 (at) ohio (dot) edu if this seems worth your while.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 10, 2010

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

ch1mp posted:

Do 240s (5spd M47) typically require some effort to get into gear, specifically 1st and 2nd? The effort required seems mostly the sideways portion, once pulled over enough the up or down movement is relatively easy. Is this normal?

I had some engine mounts go on my last 240 m47 and the tilt on the motor caused problems engaging 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd too.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Cakefool posted:

Having got bored looking at every cheap lovely volvo within 100 miles, I've doubled my budget. Can someone tell me what to avoid before 2004 on a manual diesel v70 please?

Pre-2004 the Volvo D5 engine was prone to injector failures. At about £1200 each, make sure that the car you are looking at has had them changed.

Also, 96,000 miles is the service when the cambelt is changed - if you get it done at a Volvo dealership it'll cost > £500.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

biglads posted:

Pre-2004 the Volvo D5 engine was prone to injector failures. At about £1200 each, make sure that the car you are looking at has had them changed.

How can I tell? Also am I right in thinking 200,000 miles is no biggy for these engines?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Cakefool posted:

How can I tell? Also am I right in thinking 200,000 miles is no biggy for these engines?

You should ask the owner and look to see the paperwork from when it was done.

I reckon 200,000 is no problem if it has been regularly serviced. I have a 2004 S80 D5 with just over 150k on it and the engine is fine.

EDIT: Check this link out
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volvo/v70xc70-2000/?section=bad
Lots of things to look out for.

biglads fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 10, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

biglads posted:

You should ask the owner and look to see the paperwork from when it was done.

I reckon 200,000 is no problem if it has been regularly serviced. I have a 2004 S80 D5 with just over 150k on it and the engine is fine.

EDIT: Check this link out
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volvo/v70xc70-2000/?section=bad
Lots of things to look out for.

I trust no previous owner, also, holy poo poo that's a huge list of expensive poo poo. (Thanks)

edit: Pre 2000 looks a hell of a lot less trouble.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 10, 2010

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.
I blew my motor. Anyone have an extra or know of any good rebuilders on the East coast?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

markdown posted:

I blew my motor. Anyone have an extra or know of any good rebuilders on the East coast?

Which car? What engine? What model year?

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.
1990 Volvo 740, non turbo.

Working on it, and found a few amusing things:

a) torque converter bolts were LOOSE; apparently when someone has a tranny put in you have to make sure their grease monkey can torque stuff properly. God drat that made me mad and is kind of scary.

b) My MAF has a connector which only has two prongs; same for the wiring harness stuck into it. EVERY replacement MAF I can find for it has 6 prongs.

Uh, did someone swap a motor out on me or something :confused:

EDIT: I've heard it's a "REGINA".

Okay, lovely, Canadian Volvo. How do I get the MAF?

Edit part two, volvo-electric boogaloo:

I have a drat IAT where the MAF is put in, apparently it's a MAP only computer which is extremely rare:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19145 <- wow.

flux_core fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 12, 2010

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

It's time to choose your own adventure with my 940's grille. I can't decide whether I like the eggcrate or standard grille better on my car, so you get to decide for me.

I think I'm going to keep rocking the eggcrate since they tend to look better with the E-code headlights I've got coming, but v:v:v

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Eggcrate, yeap. By a good margin.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!
Does anybody have an idea of how to wire up a replacement headlight switch? I called the dealer in town but they don't make em anymore, so I figure I can just get by with a normal 10 amp on-off-on switch wired up to the appropriate connections.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

TheJeffers posted:

It's time to choose your own adventure with my 940's grille. I can't decide whether I like the eggcrate or standard grille better on my car, so you get to decide for me.

I think I'm going to keep rocking the eggcrate since they tend to look better with the E-code headlights I've got coming, but v:v:v

What about the third option? My '92 turbo has a grill that's the vertical lines like the usual chrome one but blacked out like the eggcrate.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm still looking around for 850 and V70 wagons, still doing my research too. Other than heater cores and ETMs, what are the poo poo jobs on these cars?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

TheJeffers posted:

standard grille

This is commonly referred to as the "waterfall" grille, and I loving hate the waterfall grille. Either black it out or go eggcrate all the way. And e-codes are hot on the foglight cars.

Gurney Halleck
Jul 17, 2004
ATOMICS!

TheJeffers posted:

I had a gray 92' 940 that I adored with the waterfall grille. That said, your badass Hydras demand the eggcrate.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
eggcrate always looks better, no matter what the car.
chrome is evil

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

deratomicdog posted:

Even though it makes me think of a K-Car through some synapse fart, I have to agree with this.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

deratomicdog posted:

chrome is evil

I always thought the chrome grill made the 940 look like a bizarre hybrid of the 740 and the 850. Obviously that's not what it is, as the 940 was out well before the 850, but with the egg crate it looks just like a 740. And that's a good thing, I'd say.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Speaking of trim, why are there so many 850s and V70s with missing pieces of plastic trim on the drivers door only?

edit: here's how not to take pictures of a "rare" car

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1995-Volvo-850-T5-R-Sedan-track-ready-W0QQAdIdZ210414354

quote:

Model 850
Trim T5-R
Year 1995
Kilometers 200000
Body Type Sedan
Transmission Manual
Colour Yellow
Drivetrain Front-wheel drive (FWD)
Fuel Type Other
SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY

OTHERS WILL BE IGNORED AND DELETED.

I have a beautiful Volvo one of 2 in Canada out of 2500 EVER made in the world !!
NEVER TRACK DRIVEN

fully loaded
sway/ leather interrior
it's a 95 850 T5-R yellow edition
spotless black leather interrior
original 5 spoke R rims
3 cd disc changer
new brakes
new clutch
new tires with 90% still left over Bridgestone Potenzas
brand new exhaust , straight piped
brand new black housing headlights all from Eurosport Tuning
bored out pistons
brand new headers , its SPOTLESS
new balljoints
brand new tinted windows
the car has been taken care of and garaged
never winter driven
it drives like new.

This car is a rare car , if you can find ONE for a better deal ... be my guest .

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 16, 2010

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
I don't know, but the previous owner attached the drivers side trim with wood screws. Hope this helps.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm sure I've seen at least 3 or 4 yellow TR-5's in Montreal.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Those are some of the worst car shots I've ever seen...did he purposely try to find the cloudiest day and the most hosed up angles so as to not be able to tell anything about the car beyond the wheels, headlights, engine, and body? Those interior shots are pretty useless..

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The guy doesn't know how to spell suede, thinks you bore out pistons, and thinks the car has more than one header.

I mean, "brand new headers" might mean "downpipe and catback" but I seriously doubt it has anything other than the stock manifold bolted to the head.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 16, 2010

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
So I'm thinking of getting a class II hitch put on my 98 V70R...anyone have suggestions on model of hitch and how to keep it recessed enough so there isn't a big tow bar showing under the car? Preferrably like to have just the receiver sticking out - also for height considerations..

So far, my front runner in online researching is the hitch that Curt Manufactoring makes...

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How does one remove a snapped head bolt if it broke inside a block?

RFT was too much on the FT side. :saddowns:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Xovaan posted:

How does one remove a snapped head bolt if it broke inside a block?

RFT was too much on the FT side. :saddowns:

Center punch and a left handed drill bit?

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
What are the correct plug orders on the Distributor Cap and block? I thought I set all the plugs on the cap just like the old, but all I could get out of it was a reminder of why people label these things. At least the rotor only went on one way.

The car ('83 240 Turbo) starts up nice and quick, but dies almost immediately. Are my diagrams correct? Firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. So it would look like: 1A, 3B, 4C, 2D?

Distributor?!
A B
x
C D

Spark Plugs?!
-hood->
|
| 1 2 3 4
|

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

DONT DO IT posted:

What are the correct plug orders on the Distributor Cap and block? I thought I set all the plugs on the cap just like the old, but all I could get out of it was a reminder of why people label these things. At least the rotor only went on one way.

The car ('83 240 Turbo) starts up nice and quick, but dies almost immediately. Are my diagrams correct? Firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. So it would look like: 1A, 3B, 4C, 2D?

Distributor?!
A B
x
C D

Spark Plugs?!
-hood->
|
| 1 2 3 4
|

http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbooks/TP30432-2_ignition_systems.pdf

The info in that link (which is a PDF file that you should probably save) should get you on the right track. If the dashed line in the "Spark Plugs" diagram is supposed to be your firewall, then that might be your problem-cylinder 1 is nearest to the front of the car, and cylinder 4 is nearest to the firewall.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Blower blown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGNldpwOQxY

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So there seems to be a huge Volvo junkyard at the following address (pull it up on Google Earth, it's awesome)

13696 el dorado blvd, new buffalo, MI

I drove by it today, and I can't find anything about it online - no phone numbers or business names or anything. It's a bit out of my way but I really want to call them and see if they have some items I need.

Does anybody else know about this place?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

Blower blown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGNldpwOQxY

So it only moves at all on High or it's quiet and works on everything but High?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys

82Daion posted:

http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbooks/TP30432-2_ignition_systems.pdf

The info in that link (which is a PDF file that you should probably save) should get you on the right track. If the dashed line in the "Spark Plugs" diagram is supposed to be your firewall, then that might be your problem-cylinder 1 is nearest to the front of the car, and cylinder 4 is nearest to the firewall.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!