Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Something I've been wondering:

When WWE signed Danielson, they wanted to sign Nigel McGuinness too, but he failed a physical or something and went to TNA. If they signed Nigel, is he getting the push Wade Barrett is getting right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TL posted:

When WWE signed Danielson, they wanted to sign Nigel McGuinness too, but he failed a physical or something and went to TNA. If they signed Nigel, is he getting the push Wade Barrett is getting right now?

No, because Wade was created from DNA taken from Nigel during the testing to create a low cost, loyal, in house product with the same accent. The Universal Superstar project was highly unstable and now he's rebelled :(

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

Does anyone else just not get the same feeling from modern WWE as they did from the attitude era? I mean obviously they are two totally different era's with totally different tones, but there's something that I can't put my finger on not just from the attitude era but really anything before it that is missing in WWE now. When I watch older wrestling I'm actually engrossed in the story to the point where I can suspend my disbelief but when I watch contemporary WWE programming, the whole time I think of it outside of kayfabe.

I just assumed it was because almost everything is entirely scripted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRayPer posted:

No, because Wade was created from DNA taken from Nigel during the testing to create a low cost, loyal, in house product with the same accent. The Universal Superstar project was highly unstable and now he's rebelled :(

They should have learned their lesson when Chris Hero escaped from the Edge Cloning Facility.... :smith:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

And thus, my favorite chant was born: "WRESTLING!"

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :neckbeard:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TL posted:

I hadn't thought about this, but I would say most likely, yes.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
So basically if Nigel had gotten in, and Danielson was still there, WWE would have essentially had an "ROH invasion" equivalent to WCWs "WWF Invasion" in 1996. To bad it didn't work out.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

CapCityGoofBall posted:

And thus, my favorite chant was born: "WRESTLING!"

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :neckbeard:

And the rebuttal.

Generico pleading with the crowd saying quietly "lucha libre" and getting a thunderous CLAP CLAP, CLAPCLAPCLAP!, then beaming to the crowd.

And the subsequent "wrestling with the headlock, woooooooooooooooooahhhhhhhhh"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

They should have learned their lesson when Chris Hero escaped from the Chris Jericho Cloning Facility.... :smith:

Fixed that for ya.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Iskanderson posted:

I blame the transition effects they use between scenes rather than the jump cuts. Back then it was still being produced like a wrestling show, rather than today where it is written mostly by TV writers to be as much like a regular TV show as possible.
I didn't know that this was the case and your argument actually makes a lot of sense if you consider this.

I've always wandered how wrestling writers worked and whether they have archetypes, formulas and models for writing stories like conventional script writers do, in the way that a writer might have a model for including and structuring story elements like a first, second and third act or an 'a' and a 'b' story for a more conventional writing task. I guess wrestling writers would probably work with models closer to those that a soap opera like Days of Our Life's would use, if they did in fact use them.

Anyway, that was a long winded tangent, does anyone know of any books or other sources that has information on this side of wrestling?

Also, what was the deal with Test? He just kind of seemed to disappear, when he seemed like someone to had just about everything he needed for a steady rise up the card in the WWE.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Sue Denim posted:

Also, what was the deal with Test? He just kind of seemed to disappear, when he seemed like someone to had just about everything he needed for a steady rise up the card in the WWE.

He got roided up all to hell, broke his neck, got fired, then died.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Sue Denim posted:

He got a 30 day suspension for violating the wellness policy and requested his release then went to TNA then retired and then really disappeared :(

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I realize this is kind of late on the Shamrock discussion, but does anyone else remember when Vince was trying to recruit him for the Corporation, and he said, "Now Ken, you may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer...but you are the MOST DANGEROUS ONE."

Like what the hell does that even mean? I remember my 11 or 12 year-old mind thinking that maybe the knife had a disease on it, so then maybe Shamrock was contagious or something.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
It means he's dumb, but deadly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

I realize this is kind of late on the Shamrock discussion, but does anyone else remember when Vince was trying to recruit him for the Corporation, and he said, "Now Ken, you may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer...but you are the MOST DANGEROUS ONE."

Like what the hell does that even mean? I remember my 11 or 12 year-old mind thinking that maybe the knife had a disease on it, so then maybe Shamrock was contagious or something.

He's dull

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He's dull

No, I got that. But how is a dull knife dangerous?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Ken Shamrock was dangerous

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Captain Magic posted:

If you get stabbed hope that you get stabbed with a sharp knife because the cut us cleaner. A dull knife requires more force and leaves more damage.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
More people hurt themselves with dull knives than sharp ones because they have to push themselves harder and are more likely to cut their hands with the effort.

So what their saying is when using Ken Shamrock to cut bread, he doesn't have alot of sharp edges.

...I think I lost the metaphor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

It takes more force to use the knife, so you're going to accidentally cut yourself more often because of that. Also the wound will suck because the knife edge is jagged.

E: Beaten twice

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
a dull knife can still be pointy.

hth

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn
Pro wrestling isn't filled with many quick thinkers or even literate types.

Yet another reason why Danielson needs to come back to the WWE

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

If you get stabbed hope that you get stabbed with a sharp knife because the cut us cleaner. A dull knife requires more force and leaves more damage.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It takes more force to use the knife, so you're going to accidentally cut yourself more often because of that. Also the wound will suck because the knife edge is jagged.

Well that all makes perfect sense. I guess I was getting hung up on the "drawer" aspect. Like, the most dangerous knife in the drawer, to me, is the sharpest one, because that's the one I'm most likely to accidentally cut my hand on when I reach in there for something else.

I've clearly over-thought this whole issue.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 17, 2010

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Ken Shamrock is not the sharpest knife in the drawer
This means he's DUMB

Ken Shamrock is the most dangerous knife in the drawer
This means NOTHING, it's a play on "The World's Most Dangerous Man"

The two assumptions are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The most dangerous knife is a spoon because you never expect it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Burrito posted:

ten thousand jobbers, when all you need is shamrock

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Burrito posted:

Because it is dull, you twit. I will hurt more.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Because it is dull, you twit. I will hurt more.

So then by this logic, Ken Shamrock was actually the most dangerous spatula? It seems like it would hurt a lot to get stabbed to death by a spatula.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

because the knife is wrapped in barbwire

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Maybe there's a dull knife in Vince's drawer that's attached to a gun. That would certainly be more dangerous than a sharp knife.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Magic posted:

So then by this logic, Ken Shamrock was actually the most dangerous spatula? It seems like it would hurt a lot to get stabbed to death by a spatula.
Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves played the Sheriff of Nottingham. He sees Kevin Coster's American-accented Englishman, Robin of Lockley, escaping the castle grounds. He yells, "I'm going to cut your heart out with a spoon!"

Later on, his cousin (played by the bad guy from The Crow) asks him, "Why a spoon, cousin? Why not... an axe or a-"

"Because it's dull, you twit. It will hurt more.

There. Now that I've explained the joke, I'm going to go kill myself.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Ken Shamrock is not the sharpest knife in the drawer because the fans demanded it. And then afterwards they said, "Oh no, we never wanted you to be dull! We wanted you to be sharp! No Hall of Fame for Utensils for you!"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mega GIRL posted:

because the knife is wrapped in barbwire
But does it explode?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves played the Sheriff of Nottingham.

I. Had. No. Idea.

Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves played the Sheriff of Nottingham. He sees Kevin Coster's American-accented Englishman, Robin of Lockley, escaping the castle grounds. He yells, "I'm going to cut your heart out with a spoon!"

Later on, his cousin (played by the bad guy from The Crow) asks him, "Why a spoon, cousin? Why not... an axe or a-"

"Because it's dull, you twit. It will hurt more.

There. Now that I've explained the joke, I'm going to go kill myself.

So what you're saying is that in that movie Alan Rickman should have had the presence of mind to say spatula instead of spoon. I get it now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

This is the best page since the biblical wrestling federation from a few months ago. Does anyone know which weekly discussion thread that was from.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This is the best page since the biblical wrestling federation from a few months ago. Does anyone know which weekly discussion thread that was from.

That was some of the funniest stuff I've read on here. And I got to watch it unfold live.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Iskanderson posted:

I blame the transition effects they use between scenes rather than the jump cuts. Back then it was still being produced like a wrestling show, rather than today where it is written mostly by TV writers to be as much like a regular TV show as possible.

I think it's partially this, and it seems like all the psychology is gone. As in, you'd get a long build-up for feuds, especially when it came to title feuds - just look at matches like Ricky Steamboat/Randy Savage, Hogan/Slaughter, Warrior/Hogan, Jake Roberts/Randy Savage, etc. There was always some sort of backstory that was carried out for several months, with either guy getting some sort of "upper hand" before a sanctioned match was issued.

On top of that, I don't think there's enough guys that use psychology like weakening up a certain body part to prepare for a finishing move. You'd always see someone back in the day trying to work on something specific to take out an opponent's game - Savage would try to work on a guy's neck before his elbow. Flair would constantly target the knees before he laid the figure four leglock in. Slaughter would always target someone's back before putting on the camel clutch. On the opposite of the spectrum, you'd see a guy try to take someone down to prevent the finisher - when Flair and Savage fought, Flair took out Savage's knees so he'd be weak when it came to his aerial game (and Flair wasn't really a high flyer, it was a known weakness of his). Or if Hogan wrestled someone, they'd try to take his leg out so he couldn't do the leg drop, or if Jake Roberts wrestled the opponent tried to take out his arm to prevent the DDT. It was more of a thinking man's game, where wrestlers would try to prevent a finishing move, and that made them have to try to figure out a way to put someone away without using their biggest strength.

When did you last see someone try to take out Cena's leg or back to keep from getting the AA, or try to take out his arm to prevent the STF? Or have someone take Swagger's leg out so he couldn't lift up for his powerbomb? It doesn't seem like much thought is put into guys finding alternate ways of winning and telling a story rather than spot-spot-spot-finisher-win or spot-spot-DQ/countout, or something equally boring.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
So I dont get to see a lot of indy wrestling apart from random matches I come across while trawling youtube/dailymotion. One guy I would love to see more of is Delirious. Love his promos and general madness. So my question is this, Can any of you fine gents or ladys recommend some of his finer matches and where to get them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MrMondayNight posted:

So I dont get to see a lot of indy wrestling apart from random matches I come across while trawling youtube/dailymotion. One guy I would love to see more of is Delirious. Love his promos and general madness. So my question is this, Can any of you fine gents or ladys recommend some of his finer matches and where to get them?

He has an excellent match with Bryan Danielson at Ring Of Homicide 1, downloadable at ROHwrestling.com for only $10. ROH's website is actually having a Buy 3, get 2 DVDs Free sale right now. Let me compile a delirious-centric list for you :)

E: You're gonna want: Survival of the Fittest 2006 (Delirious's effort in ROH's Bi-Annual tournament, a must watch for Delirious fans), Fifth Year Festival: Finale (Really fun match with Colt Cabana), Northern Navigation (a fun match with Kenny Omega), Age of Insanity (His heel turn completes and his feud with Rhett Titus is capped off), and Double Feature II (His street fight with Jimmy Jacobs, plus there is some great stuff on this show too besides that :)

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 18, 2010