Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He died at a dude's house (in his own vomit) because he's gay, you see

Is Richards really gay?I always assumed when there was a gay character it was just someone trying to get heat.Has there been any wrestlers besides Orlando Jordan who were gay IRL that also played a gay character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

savinhill posted:

Is Richards really gay?I always assumed when there was a gay character it was just someone trying to get heat.Has there been any wrestlers besides Orlando Jordan who were gay IRL that also played a gay character?

Kanyon on the indies if that counts. Pretty sure Stevie is straight, he and Crash were tight though. I mean close. I mean-

Don't know really, but I always liked Stevie, since I first started watching WWE and he was doing the Dude Love thing and some bits with Jericho and Chyna. How is his Dr Stevie gig with TNA? He's teaming with Raven again right?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Kanyon on the indies if that counts. Pretty sure Stevie is straight, he and Crash were tight though. I mean close. I mean-

Don't know really, but I always liked Stevie, since I first started watching WWE and he was doing the Dude Love thing and some bits with Jericho and Chyna. How is his Dr Stevie gig with TNA? He's teaming with Raven again right?
I just started watching TNA at the beginning of this year and Richards nor Raven have been on TV in that time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Captain Charisma posted:

I'm don't think WWE hasn't had a hundred Canadian wrestlers much less "hundreds"

it's almost like I was using hyperbole to make a point!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Can anyone remember when the last time Scott Hall was capable of actually performing an actual wrestling move in the ring?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

BizarroAzrael posted:

Don't know really, but I always liked Stevie, since I first started watching WWE and he was doing the Dude Love thing

Wait, what?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Wait, what?

He had the original gimmick of copying other wrestlers gimmicks. He kept the Dude Love one for awhile.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

savinhill posted:

Orlando isn't gay, he's bisexual.

KungFu Grip posted:

He had the original gimmick of copying other wrestlers gimmicks. He kept the Dude Love one for awhile.

The Dude one was funny because he actually got Mankind's permission. Weird segment where even Mankind thought it was a bad idea.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

KungFu Grip posted:

The best was the APA. The APA, when they were part of 'Taker's Ministry, had occult symbols drawn across their chests. When Stevie copied their gimmick, he came out with the UPN logo drawn across his.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A little late maybe, but the only way to get the vast majority of fans to boo Chris Hero (or any other heel in ROH) is to turn them face so that the fans think it's expected that they cheer for him, which will make them boo him to prove they're not marks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also, I've seen it mentioned a few times and haven't had any clarification - exactly what is the nature (if any) of the business relationship between Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman now? I keep seeing references to Heyman concentrating on promoting Lesnar but is this actually an official thing or just Heyman going out of his way to say,"Brock rocks!" every time he gets near a microphone because they're buddies?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

If you haven't all ready, watch some ECW television shows on you tube from about 1996 - 1998, I believe. Before these I never really knew much about Steven Richards and my only memories of him were really RTC WWF stuff. Anyway, after seeing some of Richard's work from this era I suddenly understood why he'd worked so steadily since, I'd probably say his charisma is comparable to Chris Jericho in his more annimated days.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

A little late maybe, but the only way to get the vast majority of fans to boo Chris Hero (or any other heel in ROH) is to turn them face so that the fans think it's expected that they cheer for him, which will make them boo him to prove they're not marks.

Dammit! How come a single thread in TVIV gets a gang tag and yet WH2K gets passed over? I want my "THE GAY COMMUNITY?!" gang-tag.

Also, apart from the fact that they never come to the UK, this is why I'm hesitant to go to an ROH show. The fans are just a bunch of contrarian cunts. And not the good kind like Chilly or Banjo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

If you haven't all ready, watch some ECW television shows on you tube from about 1996 - 1998, I believe. Before these I never really knew much about Steven Richards and my only memories of him were really RTC WWF stuff. Anyway, after seeing some of Richard's work from this era I suddenly understood why he'd worked so steadily since, I'd probably say his charisma is comparable to Chris Jericho in his more annimated days.

Hence why they made him a mouthpiece for RTC (which could have been great but he was more talented as a wrestler than the rest of them put together, except maybe Val Venis) and *shudder* Kronik. Hopefully he'll retire to colour commentary, though he has other stuff to fall back on.

I think Stevie's main problem is that he always make the other guy look so good. I recall an anecdote from (I think) Lance Storm after a match with him, when some backroom guy voiced surprise at what a good match he just had with him, and he had to point out that almost everyone seems to have great matches with him, maybe it's not a coincidence.

He a few great matches with CM Punk on the ECW relaunch too, was so happy to see them paired up.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Dammit! How come a single thread in TVIV gets a gang tag and yet WH2K gets passed over?

Realpost: WH2K deserves a gang tag. Wrestling owns.

(Barton Fink supremacy.)

Edwardian fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 25, 2010

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

savinhill posted:

How about the Iron Sheik?

The Iron Sheik is really from Iran.

edit: Sorry, from a couple of pages ago, but no one addressed this.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

BizarroAzrael posted:

He a few great matches with CM Punk on the ECW relaunch too, was so happy to see them paired up.

Wasn't one of his last ecw matches that fantastic 4 way match on tv which was a chase for the gold gimmick where they eliminated one guy a week.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, so true. I will never understand that mentality, even as an ROH fan. I've never been to a show, and will probably never get a chance to do so from where I live, but from what I can tell some of those fans... need to chill out some. At least Cornette commented on everyone booing Tyler Black on their last iPPV and managed to somewhat tie it in to the story. Though they didn't do Black any favors with the way he won that match. How could you not cheer Davey Richards towards the end when he stopped the usage of the chair and took a shot for his troubles to keep it clean. He made great efforts to come back from that, but it was over soon after.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

A Dapper Man posted:

He was billed as being from Tehran, Iran for much of his career.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Croc posted:

Wasn't one of his last ecw matches that fantastic 4 way match on tv which was a chase for the gold gimmick where they eliminated one guy a week.

Yeah, I think it was him, Punk, RVD and Dreamer? Maybe I'm getting matches confused, I think it was the one where RVD and Dreamer recreated the spring-neck piledriver bit.

They handled Stevie a bit weird though, he did a run in with the New Breed for no stated reason, and it was never mentioned again. I think he was making up the numbers for some reason, might have been when Monty Brown left. They seemed like they were going to push him within ECW (when that mattered a bit) after he came back from throat surgery, but that never went anywhere.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I think it was him, Punk, RVD and Dreamer? Maybe I'm getting matches confused, I think it was the one where RVD and Dreamer recreated the spring-neck piledriver bit.

They handled Stevie a bit weird though, he did a run in with the New Breed for no stated reason, and it was never mentioned again. I think he was making up the numbers for some reason, might have been when Monty Brown left. They seemed like they were going to push him within ECW (when that mattered a bit) after he came back from throat surgery, but that never went anywhere.

I think the match you're thinking of was a three way with Dreamer, RVD, and a third party I can't remember. The four way I somehow remember, as it had a moment where Stevie did the throat under the ropes catapult on someone after having it done on himself earlier in the match, in a moment of simple psychology that really stood out.

But I may be misremembering things as well. I really just remember that spot. And now this ECW talk reminded me of those tremendous "ECW High School" posts...

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Edwardian posted:

(Barton Fink supremacy.)

emptyquoting this here

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Our gang tag should be the spinner belt.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Wojtek posted:

Nah. I stand by my "THE GAY COMMUNITY?!" suggestion.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Jerusalem posted:

Also, I've seen it mentioned a few times and haven't had any clarification - exactly what is the nature (if any) of the business relationship between Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman now? I keep seeing references to Heyman concentrating on promoting Lesnar but is this actually an official thing or just Heyman going out of his way to say,"Brock rocks!" every time he gets near a microphone because they're buddies?

Dave Meltzer wrote this week that he "is working on marketing Brock Lesnar". It isn't clear how formal the relationship is. They're good friends and Brock was Heyman's pet project in WWE. Since joining UFC Brock has gone to Heyman for advice when building promotion for his fights. I think it's informal, he definitely isn't Brock's real manager.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think Stevie's main problem is that he always make the other guy look so good. I recall an anecdote from (I think) Lance Storm after a match with him, when some backroom guy voiced surprise at what a good match he just had with him, and he had to point out that almost everyone seems to have great matches with him, maybe it's not a coincidence.

Stevie was a guy who was brought in as a skinny joke, then during his run got a good body and became a better worker. The problem was he was already seen as a joke (despite supposedly being friends with Shane) so they really had no desire to push him. It reminds me of Raven's story of when he quit the WWF in the 90s. He wanted to drop the jokey heel gimmick he'd always had and take a more serious gimmick with main event potential. However, if it was going to work he would have to do it outside the WWF first because they already saw him a certain way.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Nah. I stand by my "THE GAY COMMUNITY?!" suggestion.

I'm pretty sure I could sway the Buttz Krew over to the Barton Finks.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Wojtek posted:

No, this belt

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

The A-Team Van posted:

No, this belt

Does someone have the other version of this belt?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

A Dapper Man posted:

For some reason I thought he was from Lebanon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stevie was awesome when he was appointed GM of Sunday Night Heat, and he renamed it "Stevie Night Heat."

Of course, according to the storyline no one in the WWE was aware who exactly had appointed him GM, and he didn't seem to actually wield any power, but if Stevie said he was GM, who was going to argue?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Wojtek posted:

I was thinking Kaval with Laycool, and the term "Weekend Warriors". That or "Michael Tarver", which is just that - Michael Tarver.

"The gang is me... Michael Tarver"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
G.L.O.W

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He was billed as being from Tehran, Iran for much of his career.

I... What? I know that. That's probably because he was actually born in Tehran, Iran. He was even a bodyguard for Shah Mohammad-Rezā Shāh Pahlavi. Or was there some other reason that you posted this :confused:

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

Backing gang tag divas belt.

I've never watched any WCW. Can anyone suggest a good PPV 95-97 as a starting point?

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

falsedontentry posted:

I've never watched any WCW. Can anyone suggest a good PPV 95-97 as a starting point?

WCW's best PPV's were arguably Great American Bash 1989 and Spring Stampede 1994.

But for a starting point of the Monday Night Wars era, Bash at the Beach 1996 is where it's at.

Eugene Jerome fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 26, 2010

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Eugene Jerome posted:

In 2007 he was in ring-shape and had some matches for WWC in Puerto Rico against Carlito and his brother

It seems that when he is sober he is passable, but once he starts up again it goes down fast.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wojtek posted:

All great choices if we aren't going for the whole ironic comedy thing.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 26, 2010

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

Edwardian posted:

(Barton Fink supremacy.)

Oh great, another gang tag that I won't be able to be a part of because of a lack of a title. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eugene Jerome posted:

WCW's best PPV's were arguably Great American Bash 1989 and Spring Stampede 1994.

But for a starting point of the Monday Night Wars era, Bash at the Beach 1996 is where it's at.

Bash 98 is a pretty poor PPV overall though. It is historically important, but the card drags.

Halloween Havoc 97 is a pretty great PPV to get a sense of WCW. You have the Rey/Eddie classic, a great street fight between DDP and Savage, and Age in the Cage II between Hogan and Piper.

The last match sucks, obviously, but it is WCW to a T.

Well, maybe not to a T, since that match wasn't for the rights to the letter T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

A Dapper Man posted:

I... What? I know that. That's probably because he was actually born in Tehran, Iran. He was even a bodyguard for Shah Mohammad-Rezā Shāh Pahlavi. Or was there some other reason that you posted this :confused:

Why did you say that the Iron Sheik was from Iran then? Because sometimes he was billed from Baghdad?